[2016] Doom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

godhugh
Forum Admin

Re: [2016] Doom

Post by godhugh »

Finished this tonight and it is just hot fire all the way through. I was literally screaming at the computer while I was firing the last shots into the final boss I was so pumped up. Took me 15.8 hours to finish the game while finding all but two of the secrets. It's worth every penny and is easily my favorite FPS game in years.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You seem to be creating cracks in my cynicism wall.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing Doom 3...ya....sigh. :(
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I was talking to a GT forums pal (EngineNo9), and he did point out that Bethesda tends to take its sweet time before allowing any significant sales pricing on its big budget titles, so I just figured "what the hell," and got it last night. :)

Really fun, one of the snazziest, polished interfaces I've used in a shooter I think (but it stays completely out of your way during gameplay, if that makes sense). I love the whole clambering, climbing stuff, and it feels really well down for an FPS. Guess I'm more used to that in 3rd person games like The Division. The melee finishing stuff I enjoy, and is fast/easy to do. While you can find healthkits in the environs, it is kinda liberating to know you can always "make your own" through the melee finisher.

I just got in maybe 45 minutes this morning, and had no motion sickness issues. The PC version does have a Field of View (FOV) setting under options, which can go as high as 130. I set it to max. I don't know if I need to per se, but given my problems, felt it best to do that.]

Snapmap's interfaces make it really easy to search for or browse through other players' creations and playing them in multiple modes (many support co-op but don't require it per se) is a really simple process. While I see some essentially are cheap ways to let players build up "snapmap points," you can also see a fair amount of creativity too, at least within its limits. It's not a full SDK so it's more like players trying to get creative within the tool's limitations.

While I started at the easiest difficulty level, after a little time getting acclimated, I think might want to start over at the middle difficulty setting.

I'll maybe post some interface type screenshots later.
Last edited by blackjack on Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey, I learned a new word. Thanks!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

While I started at the easiest difficulty level, after a little time getting acclimated, I think might want to start over at the middle difficulty setting.
Just a heads up...you dont have to restart..you can change difficulty while playing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

from a gamefaqs.com forum comment:
This feels less like Doom and more like Painkiller or Serious Sam.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAS
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Actually reminds me the most of Bulletstorm mixed with Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. The Painkiller/Serious Sam model seem to want you to keep distance between enemies as much as possible. Bulletstorm wanted you to survey the situation, plan out how to get through the pack most effectively, then run in and do it. Doom uses the same "melee dudes to regain health" mechanic that Space Marine has.

This is a very good thing.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

played the demo (DOOMO? E1M1?) for some time tonight. it's a sight better than DOOM3 so far.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hitbyambulance wrote:played the demo (DOOMO? E1M1?) for some time tonight. it's a sight better than DOOM3 so far.
There is a demo of this game?

I'll take a look.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:played the demo (DOOMO? E1M1?) for some time tonight. it's a sight better than DOOM3 so far.
There is a demo of this game?

I'll take a look.
You might want to take that look sooner rather than later. The demo was originally only available for E3 week, but they've extended it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks, but I'm in no rush. If they want to dick around with their demo availability, that's kind of :?

I appreciate the heads up though.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To be fair, they haven't said the demo is still time-limited (but so far as I can tell, they haven't said it isn't, either). The time limit was bizarre from the get-go, given that their E3 pitch was that the demo was an homage to the good ol' days of shareware.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

naednek

Post by naednek »

played some of the demo, man now I feel like vomiting. SmooveB, beware.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Should be downloaded as of last night. Will check it out tonight.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote:played some of the demo, man now I feel like vomiting. SmooveB, beware.
Thanks for the heads up -- this is something that did indeed concern me from watching videos on Youtube of game play. At least there's a demo...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Smoove_B wrote:
naednek wrote:played some of the demo, man now I feel like vomiting. SmooveB, beware.
Thanks for the heads up -- this is something that did indeed concern me from watching videos on Youtube of game play. At least there's a demo...
Adjust the FOV. That should be enough for most cases of motion sickness, and Doom gives you plenty of choice in that regard.
Insert witty comment here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How long is the demo good for?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No Clue
The demo was released last week, and contains the first level of the game. It was originally only supposed to be live during E3, however Bethesda has now extended the period, with the Doom Twitter account giving a succinct reasoning: "we figured, what the hell."

Get it while it's hot though, as there's no information yet on how long the extension will last, or whether it's now an indefinite demo.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is a rare instance where a demo might convince me to buy/no buy. Even if I buy it will only be at a big discount.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Picked it up for $35 and change at the Steam sale - unlikely to drop below that anytime soon. Enjoying it so far, but it is relentless.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

played through the whole demo. i guess that's a good sign. i have a week to decide!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

godhugh wrote:Put a few hours into it tonight and I'm loving it so far. It's fast, frenetic, and completely satisfying. The glory kills feel really good and I've enjoyed all the weapons I've gotten so far. I'm playing on Ultra (I have a 970) and it runs at a very smooth 60fps and looks good. The secrets are fun to find and the little collectible guys are kind of awesome looking. The retro levels you can find are a little underwhelming, but that's a very minor complaint. My only real issue with the game is that the jumping feels very floaty...
Well it is on Mars after all.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Just finished this game yesterday, finally. The last few levels were a breeze thanks to the OP combination of the gauss cannon, Siege Mode, the rune that gives you unlimited ammo as long as you stay above a certain armor treshold, and the rune that gives you armor from every enemy you use a finisher on. Unless I got trapped in a corner, I got through most of the encounters in the last few levels without even taking a single point of damage. I killed Barons of Hell in two shots, which included staggering them long enough with the first shot that I was able to charge up a second one without being in danger. Entire groups of cacodemons became gibs with one single shot. Hell Knights were laughable pushovers that I killed from halfway across the map as an afterthought. Just about the only enemy type that made me use a different weapon (the shotgun) was the lost soul. This was on Hurt Me Plenty. The gauss cannon with siege mode feels like a slightly less effective BFG. Best of all, I could walk past almost every ammo pickup without needing any of it. It wasn't as if I was expending any ammo in these battles anyway.
Insert witty comment here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just got around to finishing the demo. A little fast for me, and with the sand blowing, visibility was a bit of a chore, but it's still a thumbs up. I'll definitely be picking it up when it's cheaper.

The finishing moves really adds to the combat.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

caved at $30 - got the boxed edition, even.

(most expensive new game i've purchased for myself since S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl on the release week sale at Circuit City - same price in 2007..)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No motion sickness (thanks FOV slider), but why didn't someone tell me about the Super Mario jumping puzzle elements? Ugh, I hate them so very much. Other than that, it's been mostly fun.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant find this or Deus Ex MkD cheap enough to buy. Really want them too.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

While it's interesting to add "finishers" to an FPS, it kinda ruins the game for the folks who like to stand back and shoot. That's how I know this game wasn't really for me.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive found it for $15 - $20..going to buy it. CDKeys.com has it for $15 but since Im not entirely sure on them I found DLGamer has it for $20 and I know they are a legit site.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got DOOM. Unfortunately Im poor and when I got my SSD I could only afford a 500gb one. DOOM says it needs 78 gigs free and I have 28 gigs free. And not really able to delete anything. Ill have to decide whats important.

EDIT: Deleted everything I could do without and some stuff I couldn't. Have 71 gig free now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got her up and running pretty great. Even on my old hardware its running smooth to my eyes. 2560x1080 ultra and high settings Im seeing frame rates 39-60. I just stepped out into the red outside area from the beginning area stuff is where I am reading my fps. Im also using the OpenGL 4.5 instead of Vulkan.

Looks like Im in for some good fun with this game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Got DOOM. Unfortunately Im poor and when I got my SSD I could only afford a 500gb one. DOOM says it needs 78 gigs free and I have 28 gigs free. And not really able to delete anything. Ill have to decide whats important.

EDIT: Deleted everything I could do without and some stuff I couldn't. Have 71 gig free now.
Personally, I have an ssd for my os, a larger one (still not huge) for currently being played games, and a 3 TB green drive for most of my steam library.

If money is an issue (but you're willing to spend the bucks on an ssd) I have been extremely satisfied with a game ssd sized at the best price point (at the time) and a second, standard large drive (at an even better price point) for everything else.

It's relatively trivial these days to move games between steam libraries on separate disks, and you only need to keep a few games on the ssd. I put games that I am currently playing on the ssd while moving older games back to the regular drive. I also put io dependent games on the ssd. As I mentioned in the Total War: Warhammer thread, I moved it from my platter drive to the ssd drive and load times dropped from "omg, this is 2017, wtf" to "ok, that's totally tolerable".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a 250g ssd for os, 500 gb ssd for games, and a couple mechs around 2 tb for storage.

But I have about 20 games installed. Im actively playing 12 of them. . But I was able to dump enough of the rest to install DOOM.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When it takes you 4 days to download a game like DOOM, you slap two 1TB HDDs in your new PC for this exact reason. If I had download speeds like some of you clowns, I'd probably do everything off a 500 GB SSD.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:I have a 250g ssd for os, 500 gb ssd for games, and a couple mechs around 2 tb for storage.

But I have about 20 games installed. Im actively playing 12 of them. . But I was able to dump enough of the rest to install DOOM.
Fair enough.

I've been surprised to find that most games are completely playable on a green drive, so my ssd/platter discipline has waned.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I have a 240 GB SSD which I use for nothing but Windows and a few small things that I need to load fast. Still plenty of room available on that drive, and I'm trying to keep it that way as long as I can.

Thus, Steam and all my other games reside on the secondary 1 TB 7200 rpm HD. Loading games may not be instantaneous, or super-fast, but the HDD still manages to load games faster than I really need them to. This setup works perfectly fine for my needs, and I have yet to come across any game that takes more than a minute to load; usually far less. And loading levels from within a game is also pretty quick.

Until I can afford to have nothing but SSDs, I'm perfectly happy doing it this way.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

500gb SSDs are now about $139.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I seem to have a mental problem...wait for it....with DOOM. Back in the old days there were secrets to find or miss and have fun with. Now though I cant play. I move one area then have to leave the game and look up secrets and maps to make sure Im not missing anything. I cant go back to them unless I find them as I play.

Its not fun like this but making myself not look at hints is almost impossible. I need to just play it once then worry with secrets next game.