[2016] Doom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

[2016] Doom

Post by GreenGoo »

So. New Doom coming out in a month or so. I didn't see a thread for it so I'm starting this one, although I don't have much to say about it yet.

The videos are pretty impressive, and while I'm not a fan of this kind of gameplay any longer, I'll be picking it up anyway. First, because it's Doom, and watching the videos it *IS* Doom, and second, because the finishing moves, parkour and immersion seem like really great additions to Doom.

The game also seems to include a standard battle arena mechanic for multiplayer which is kinda meh for me, but the single player seems like the next iteration of the Doom setting, and that's enough for me. I enjoyed the last Doom when many people didn't, even with the monster closets (which I was a vocal critic of). Everything I've seen of the new one puts the last one to shame, so I think it would be hard to disappoint me.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Re: [2016] Doom

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I watched a video a few months ago (I think) and it looked...fast. Like, wow am I old "fast". I don't know if I can handle that kind of frenetic game play any more but I'll certainly read up on the reviews. That being said, Doom 3 was one of the biggest disappointments for me as an adult gamer. It might have been 12 years ago, but the suck...it still burns.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Looking forward to it. I'm only interested in SP, and the video I saw looked pretty damn good. The chainsaw looked incredibly violent and cathartic, but I wonder if it's under your control the whole time, or if it's just going to be an animation that you trigger, thus losing control for a few seconds. That would bother me a lot if it did that.

I didn't hate Doom 3 as much as some, but I never finished it either. It got difficult, and I got bored about halfway through.

I had a hankering last night, so I fired up Doom 1 for the first time in years. It still plays fine (and looks great using gzdoom), but I ended up switching to Heretic 1. I have very fond memories of Doom, but I have fonder memories of Heretic. The trouble with both of these classics is that I always want to do a complete playthrough, starting at the beginning. But I know the shareware levels too well, even after all these years, so I need to get through those to move on to the levels I know far less well.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's not the videos and screenshots that excite me about this game, but the promise that the game is based on what they learned from the latest Wolfenstein game. If they can produce a single player campaign with that level of quality, then the new Doom will be something very special indeed.
Insert witty comment here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Giles Habibula wrote:I ended up switching to Heretic 1
Man, I've got to go dig that up and add it to my library. I loved this one, and can't believe I'd forgotten about it.

As for the last Doom - I enjoyed it. I found it tense and could only play a few hours at a time, but I loved the setting they applied and I think I managed to finish it (but can't recall clearly). I didn't find out about the Duct Tape mod until after I finished it... but that's okay - the game would have been less tense with it.

Since I've owned every Doom game ever made, I'll have to keep watching for this new one, too.

The videos on the Steam page make it look like they're not trying to create a horror movie you play through (like the last one), but are clearly returning to the old style of gameplay - which was hectic and brutal, despite being (16-bit?). Hopefully they won't include out-of-combat health regen or quick time events. I'm not sure how I feel about the bloody, gore-laden combat sprinkled with bright glowing power-ups that explode out of the demon-pinatas.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

DOOM 3 with the addon was pretty fun coop.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm thinking about it, but not paying $60. or $50.

i got DOOM3 from a dollar bin at a used game store a couple years ago (it still had the CD key, but was missing the first CD, haha. i managed to get an ISO of that disc and burned a CD-R)... i made it a few hours into the campaign, then got bored. didn't like how it played.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Almost nobody liked how Doom 3 played. It is the reason that the franchise has been dead since 2004.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i will check out the demo when it no longer becomes necessary to buy another title to try it
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't remember the massive suckatude being expressed about Doom 3, but I remember finishing it (with the duct tape mod). I am definitely interested, especially if they release the engine for possible remakes of Heretic and Hexen :)
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I tried a couple matches in the MP beta this afternoon. Really only came away with two impressions:

1. It's all very, very pretty.
2. I am absolutely, completely, 100% awful at multiplayer FPS games.

Sadly, this is a genre that has passed me by entirely.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I really wish they'd have released even a short SP demo.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill get it on sale one day. I love DOOM games. But Im VERY disappointed it does not have COOP in it. All the other DOOMs did..even the last one. Its the way me and my friends played DOOM. Ya we did SOME deathmatch but not many.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still wish they'd name it DOOM 4. I hate when companies name games or movies the same as an older one.

Ultra nightmare video settings for PC only
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's a reboot, not a sequel. Calling it Doom 4 would have been misleading in that regard, nevermind the fact that they called the previous reboot Doom 3 (which might have been a mistake).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IGNs DOOM page

Good stuff there. The video about the easter egg is very cool. Made me skip a beat when I saw whats in there. Ahh the old days.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

It's out. Anyone playing? While I played Doom 1/2 in the day, even bought some level editing books; and actually went to a Best Buy at midnight (!) to buy Doom 3 back in the day -- I was disappointed by D3, and felt it was more like System Shock 2 Lite than a Doom game -- my gut feeling is the new game would just be a motion sickness vomitorium for me today. :oops:

Still love to hear what early adaptors think of it though. :D

Players on Steam seem very enamored of it so far, at least on the single player side. Something like a 1,300 to 150 positive/negative ration so far.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have zero expectations of picking it up before it goes on sale, but it's an almost guaranteed purchase for me at some point.

I too would like to hear OO opinions if anyone takes the plunge.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Guy named Gabi posted this useful Pros/Cons from his initial play (10.5 hours) as his Steam review:
Gabi wrote:Pros:
+ Runs Great (everything but shadows and Vitual Texturing Page Size maxed as the nightmare setting are not selectable unless you have 5gb of vram. Otherwise maxed and always above 60 with a 970).
+ Guns are varied in use and fun to use.
+ Fast paced, as in very fast paced though it does start of relatively slow compared to just a little later into the game.
+ Sprint by default, though you can make your character move slower.
+ Vartiety has been added with upgrades that add to the chaos.
+ The game is gorgeous and the levels varied.
+ Whilst no open world the levels are large and expansive.
+ The movement system is fantastic.
+ Enemies are nicely varied requiring different tactics to take out. Especially when you up the difficulty.
+ Plenty of secrets and things to look around and find.
+ Melee attacks are a nice addition that add some tactics for getting health back
+ Minimal story with very few cutscene like moments so far (yes, doom should not be overly cut scene or lore heavy, it at its core is about killing demons). What is there however is done well, it just isn't front and center.
+ The voice acting is suprisingly extremely good. There isn't much, but what is there all works as intended. Bravo, it would have been easy to have this let the game down.
+ Loving the multiplayer, but if you didn't like the beta I can't comment as it may be similar (didn't play much of the beta myself).
+ Though I wouldn't listen to it on its own, the music fits the game extremely well. Sometime a track will play when it probably shouldn't (common in games) but overall it fits very well.
+Snapmap adds a large amount of possible content that so far has been quite good. Though only time will tell how much it is used.

Cons:
- Whilst a nice addition to much emphasis is on melee finishers. It is at its worst at the beginning, but I can't help but feel it is something that could have been introduced later once it actually becomes used in a tactical manner.
- No bunny hopping (why, god why) [edit: to be clear it was in Doom 3 and to me is a staple of id games since jumping has been in there games that sadly has been abandoned]. Many I know won't be bothered by this.
- Textures are not poor per se, but certainly could be better.
- Upgrades can be a little on the boring side at times, more health, armor, ammo etc. There weapon upgrades are good fun though.
- Every time you change from single player, to multiplayer to snapmap the game exits and reopens. I minor complaint but still a little annoying.
I'm unclear on whether Snapmap is integrated into Steam Workshop (like, say mods for XCOM 2) or if it's something else. It's a multi-platform title, not PC only like XCOM2 so I don't know how deeply it's integrated into Steam.

Apparently co-op play of single missions is available in Snapmap mode. I'm foggy on that too.

If I take the plunge, it'll mainly to be see if I can play it at least a half hour without wanting to barf. Hopefully it could be a happy exception to my motion sickness issues, like Killing Floor 2. But of course that's why the Steam return policy is nice. I think I've only returned Wolfenstein: The New Order due to motion sickness. Others I encountered before the refund policy was introduced. :oops:

NVIDIA and AMD both issued driver updates, and apparently plan additional diver updates, optimized for the game though I can see from Steam forums not everyone's having a dreamy experience.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Too expensive for me right now, but when it goes on sale
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish I had it. I said Id buy it day one...and I would if I had the money. But I dont so I cant. Hope its fun. Sounds and looks good.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Okay, got it up and running. Initial impressions, SP only:

53 GB download (the DVD version I got does basically the same thing the Fallout 4 DVD did; just gets your download started. Tiny sheet in the box with default key bindings, but you don't really even need those, the game is so intuitive to play). Took about 2 hours to download.

Intro ad clips run very, very slow. Show a frame or two, freeze, then another frame or two. After a few minutes of this, the main menu comes up, and it's free sailing from that point. The game itself runs flawlessly (core i7 870, 8 GB ram, GTX 970) at 2560 x 1440 with most settings on high. A very smooth and steady 60 fps.

The game visually looks exactly like Doom 3, at least at first while you're indoors.
However, it plays completely differently than Doom 3. I'm only a half-hour in, but this is already a much faster game. To me, that's neither better nor worse, as I liked Doom 3, but it is very different.

It's fast, movement is smooth, Glory Kills are actually fun (I was worried about this), and there is a definite rhythm and flow that you'll adapt to naturally. It feels good. Mantling with double-tap of jump key works really well. Everything works really well, with no hitching.

If I was writing a two-word review, smooth and fast I suppose would be the two words that pop first into my mind. Okay, here's a third word: Intuitive. So far, everything has been clear and easy to understand, and the control scheme is very simple. This game appears to have its focus almost completely on the action. The SP campaign feels like the speed and frenetic action of an MP game, while still retaining enough SP feel for it to still appeal to me. Kind of the best of both worlds, without veering too much into an MP feel.

I really like it. Enemies don't endlessly re-spawn. so you can clear an area, and then explore, not that I've found much yet.

Graphics are gorgeous of course, but if you've seen Rage already, you know what to expect.

I've only just started, so I don't have any experience with any of the upgrading systems yet.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Giles Habibula wrote:I really like it. Enemies don't endlessly re-spawn. so you can clear an area, and then explore, not that I've found much yet.
I noticed some respawning while exploring the first level, and I suppose it holds true for later levels as well. Some enemies (mostly the weaker ones) respawned as I got a certain distance away from an area, keeping you on your toes when backtracking.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Thanks, TiLT. I hadn't noticed that yet.
At any rate, since I've apparently missed all the secrets in Level 1 (I swear I looked carefully), I'm going to start over. Normally I wouldn't do that, but I enjoyed it enough to do it again.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So you can't go back and revisit areas? I remember in the original I hardly ever found the secret areas, and once I did it was: of course! This is why I will use a guide.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Giles Habibula wrote:Thanks, TiLT. I hadn't noticed that yet.
At any rate, since I've apparently missed all the secrets in Level 1 (I swear I looked carefully), I'm going to start over. Normally I wouldn't do that, but I enjoyed it enough to do it again.
You can apparently replay missions at any point without impacting your campaign progress, letting you pick up stuff you missed the first time. Restarting shouldn't be necessary. I haven't tested this myself, but others seem to have.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Thanks. That may come in handy.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Put a few hours into it tonight and I'm loving it so far. It's fast, frenetic, and completely satisfying. The glory kills feel really good and I've enjoyed all the weapons I've gotten so far. I'm playing on Ultra (I have a 970) and it runs at a very smooth 60fps and looks good. The secrets are fun to find and the little collectible guys are kind of awesome looking. The retro levels you can find are a little underwhelming, but that's a very minor complaint. My only real issue with the game is that the jumping feels very floaty which, when combined with some invisible walls in the levels, can make it pretty difficult to hit certain jumps while looking for secrets. I've had probably twice as many environmental deaths as I have combat deaths. All in all, though, I'm glad I picked it up. It's great stress relief.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im wondering if they'll make those little hidden guys into plushies or some collectible in real life.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Undoubtedly!

And I'll let you know if the secrets are fun to find if I ever find one of the damn things. :(
-mf
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Newegg had a $44.99 ($15 off) sale on the boxed version going on if you entered a coupon code, but by the time I thought to post it here, they'd already sold out of the PC versions (Standard and Collector's). I miss the old non-multiplatform days where sites like GoGamer would heavily discount PC games for a time after release (though shipping costs tended to temper the savings).

Think I'll pass for now. From reading the reviews now coming out (review copies didn't go out early so most gaming sites are only just now posting complete reviews), the MP wouldn't interest me and the campaign only offers maybe an 8-9 hour experience.

IGN's review (7.1/10, which they consider "good" but I suppose fans take as insult):
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/16/ ... iew-2?read
*I would guess from the almost 7,000 comments, that FPSs still rule the gaming universe. Or maybe it's the same person posting 6,000 times. :P

I should add that Snapmap sounds fun and offers co-op play that the base game doesn't, and it may well be that community creations (as with the original Doom games) from that and later a full SDK type system is what pushes the game towards "must buy" for me and others later on or even sooner on. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loved GoGamer back in the day. Got some great deals from them.

It was either GoGamer or Newegg that way back when would toss in an extra like soap or pencils or something in your order.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

blackjack wrote:IGN's review (7.1/10, which they consider "good" but I suppose fans take as insult):
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/16/ ... iew-2?read
Their "mediocre" review actually sold me on taking the plunge. They said the single player is lots of fun, the campaign is decently long (8-9 hours), and the MP is a bit of a mess. I have zero interest in MP, and am really quite excited about jumping into a good single player FPS. Downloading now...
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Daehawk wrote:It was either GoGamer or Newegg that way back when would toss in an extra like soap or pencils or something in your order.
GoGamer.
-mf
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i want this, but not even 25%-off-badly-enough yet. how does this measure up to my personal paragon of FPS perfection, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

hitbyambulance wrote:i want this, but not even 25%-off-badly-enough yet. how does this measure up to my personal paragon of FPS perfection, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter?
It might be the best mindless, "murder a whole bunch of monsters in the most gratuitous way possible" FPS I've ever played.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Played this for about an hour last night, and had to stop because I started getting a massive headache and my stomach was doing flip-flops. Once I stopped playing, both the headache and stomach churn stopped.

Motion sickness due to gaming would be a first for me (it has never bothered me in FPS before), so I'm hoping it was maybe something unrelated.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

godhugh wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:i want this, but not even 25%-off-badly-enough yet. how does this measure up to my personal paragon of FPS perfection, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter?
It might be the best mindless, "murder a whole bunch of monsters in the most gratuitous way possible" FPS I've ever played.
That's a serious endorsement. I'm pleasantly surprised after some of the beta comments.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Daehawk wrote:It was either GoGamer or Newegg that way back when would toss in an extra like soap or pencils or something in your order.
GoGamer.
Actually, both used to do that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I got a copy of this on Friday and had time for the first stage yesterday. It's super good. While Serious Sam wanted you to be strafing all the time, and run backwards a lot, DOOM basically always wants you to run toward the enemies. If you're not running toward them, you're not going to get your melee finisher in, which is how you get health back. It seems weird, but it's an excellent way of forcing you to get in there and be more aggressive than you might otherwise be. If you've played the Space Marine game, it's basically the same health recover mechanic from that, which is a good thing.

Thumbs up so far.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds