[2016] Doom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: [2016] Doom

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:That's usually a symptom of taking a break from a game. You lose the 'flow' of the level. See if there is an option to restart that level.
Yeah, I've been there before.
It's why I haven't been back to The Witcher 3. I love the game, but I got dragged away for a couple of months, and I hate re-learning a game in the middle, especially a complex game. I've lost all context for the quests and characters, I've lost track of my plans for Geralt, the whole shebang.

/edit - actually that post just helped me realize that I will be starting W3 over before I finish it, freeing up 50 gigs on my SSD for now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Took me nearly a year to return to W3. As I recall the only trouble I had was why is all this crap in my inv and why was I saving it. In the end the quests are all fine because they are tracked and marked on the map too. I just started on Witcher Gear quests and went from there. Though worrying about it is why I didn't return for so long.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Damnit damnit. I saw a portal and a green door. I figured if I went through the portal it would be the next full area so tried the door. It locked behind me and made a checkpoint. Now Ill never know what was in that portal! Thats the only big problem with this game. No save anywhere. Normally Id save and try it. Shit. Now I have to spend all day looking for a video of someone using that portal.

EDIT: Found a video with that portal and know now. But now it makes me wonder why Im playing. I missed 6 secrets at the least...SIX!...Crap.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Thats the only big problem with this game. No save anywhere. Normally Id save and try it. Shit.
You can't save anywhere, but I believe you can change save slots at will. That lets you load older saves more easily.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finished again on Nightmare. Used a video guide to get all collectibles. Finished all mission challenges (although I had to go back to get a few. Maybe 4?).

All weapons maxed out, all armour upgrades and all argent energy upgrades.

Lots of fun, but man, a few of the fights near the end were TOUGH, especially the last fight of the second last mission in the tram station. I definitely cheesed it with the Rich get Richer rune and still had trouble. Some of the fights were simply too busy to glory kill anything. Everything needed to die asap and no foolin'.

I have got to see how the pistol only (and especially pistol only no grenades) guys did it on Ultra-nightmare (Ironman). That has got to be insane unless they exploited a glitch. Some of the speed runners I saw went outside the geometry on occasion which is bullcrap for pistol only runs but I'll forgive it for speed runs. I can't figure out how they finished using only a pistol based on my playthroughs, as the imps alone can hit you before you know they are there on the bigger maps.

The final fight was easier than expected. I died once as I refamiliarized myself with the fight, then won the second time despite still messing around.

Most hated demon? Imps. Those effers are fast, small(ish), random and accurate. Nothing like chasing an imp between shot cooldowns only to have it jump, spin in the air, throw a fireball in your face and then keep running. They hit WAY above their weight class. A charged fireball does 75-100ish damage, pretty sure.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still fighting the giant cyberdemon on 2nd phase in Hell. Its a tad tougher since I have no ammo and run around gathering while avoiding that 3 fire whips he sends..1 mow 1 high 1 low.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I couldn't help noticing that the game has a 3rd save slot and I hadn't used it, so I started a game on Hurt me Plenty and decided to only use my pistol. I'm on Mission 5 or 6 and so far it has been easier than expected. Which is partly because I thought my first game was Hurt me Plenty but it turns out it was on Ultra-Violence.

Hurt me Plenty is much easier (as expected) as the health and armour pieces are worth more, and the monsters hit a LOT more weakly. I can run around with a hell guard chasing me while I slaughter all the imps. Which are still huge pita's btw.

Couple of things making this more difficult than it needs to be. 1) I have all this spiffy weaponry and I can't/won't use it. They are so shiny that I feel a strong pull to use them. And 2) It is almost impossible not to throw a grenade into any group of demons who are dumb enough to clump up. Since I decided no grenades (but was planning on using the decoy when I get it) I have to watch my straying thumb (which is what I use to chuck the grenades).

Lastly, the shield dudes are just a huge, huge pain in the ass when all you've got is a pistol, even a fully upgraded one. The shield recharges fast and if you're lucky you might get a 1 second window of opportunity to actually hit the demon.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Im still fighting the giant cyberdemon on 2nd phase in Hell. Its a tad tougher since I have no ammo and run around gathering while avoiding that 3 fire whips he sends..1 mow 1 high 1 low.
I have no real advice for you, except that the BFG stuns him, so you've got 3 stuns available for use, where you can really lay into him with everything you've got. Super shotgun or whatever. You should also be getting completely topped up with ammo multiple times through the fight. I'm not sure what causes it or when it triggers but you should be able to pretty much only use the gauss rifle without ever running out of ammo. Using the rocket launcher when you're low on ammo for the other weapons can really buy you some time too.

He should have at least 1 BFG ammo sitting on the ground near the door, so keep an eye out for that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did that fight earlier today. Died once. The secret for me was that whenever he'd start animating for the bit where the throws up the two walls, I'd switch to the BFG. When the walls sent up, I'd fire. He's stunned, hit hard, and I don't have to dodge stuff between the walls. Outside I emptied my rocket launcher, minigun, then switched to the gauss rifle to finish him off.

Oh, and when he goes down, move in and glory kill him quickly.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Part way through Mission six using only the pistol and no grenades, although I am using the decoy which I just got. Boy does that make the shield dudes easier. Huge pain (well, more tedious than difficult) if there are no barrels around.

I'm playing on Ultra-Violence.

It has actually been very easy, since I've played through some of the earlier missions 3 or 4 times already, but the biggest difference between UV and Nightmare is the damage the demons can do. I seriously doubt I could do this on Nightmare with just the pistol. I get hit too much and I just wouldn't live through it.

It's still fun for me, believe it or not. Headshots become extremely important, as is target priority. Luckily the pistol hits harder and more accurately at mid to long range than I think any other weapon, including the scoped out assault rifle.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Somehow missed the second rune stone on mission 6, so I had to re-run about 2/3s of it with a pistol. Again. I will not make that mistake again. Ugh.

edit: Also failed to get full kills on mission 3 somehow. Honestly, I think the game glitched out somehow, but luckily it didn't take very long to get through it again, despite being a somewhat long mission. The first time you go through you have basic armour and health, an unupgraded pistol and no runes. Since the highest demons on mission 3 are hell knights, it's actually fairly quick to run through, even with just your pistol.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm a couple of missions from the end. I've missed one runestone and one secret. I don't know if I will go back and re-run them. We'll see.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm a couple of missions from the end. I've missed one runestone and one secret. I don't know if I will go back and re-run them. We'll see.
Not really worth it, unless you've got OCD. Well, I guess that depends on the runestone.

Honestly I quite like the combat in the game, and glory kills have not gotten old for me yet, so I'm having a great time re-running everything.

Well, I do wish the hell knight had more variety in your glory kills. Almost everything is just crushing its skull from various angles. Occasionally you get to break its neck. The things are tough enough and plentiful enough that you spend a lot of time fighting them. Glory kills are your reward, and I'd like a little more variety.

Hell razers and possessed soldiers all have the same glory kills. That's a shame.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Quick question - if you replay a mission from the menu, does it remember the secrets you've already collected (so you just have to find that one), or do you have to start from scratch?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yes. No.

Whatever you accomplish whenever you accomplish it gets saved as part of your save slot.

I.e. if all you missed for a mission was a challenge to glory kill 5 demons, you can pick that mission from the menu, glory kill the first 5 possessed you see and now you're done. You will have everything from that mission.

This assumes you finished the mission at least once. Restarting a mission that you've never finished resets EVERYTHING for that mission, which is the exact opposite behaviour.

The solution if you miss something and can't get back to do it is to finish the mission then replay the mission up until you do the thing you missed. At that point you can quit with no ill effects.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I just missed a couple of things throughout the entire run (I'm near the end now), and whether I had to do each one in its entirety was a big deciding factor as to whether I tried to grab those last few.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I went and got the last few things I needed - two secrets and one rune, plus a final upgrade for the double barreled shotgun.

That gave me the achievements for all weapon upgrades. I grabbed the final rune - but the achievement bugged and didn't give me credit. Even after upgrading it I didn't get credit, although I got credit for having them all updated.

Some quick research shows that it is apparently a common glitch. The devs even have a solution: delete your profile, including saves, and replay the game from scratch. Um, no. I really enjoyed the game, but that left a bad taste.

So, anyway, I'm done. If I had it to do over again, I'd have skipped looking for all the goodies entirely. I enjoy finding them, but it also slowed down the gameplay and story in such a way that, in retrospect, made it less fun. Other than that, though, I really liked the game. It had that old-school shooter feel, and the graphics and music were fantastic.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've been giving ultra-nightmare (ironman) a go just for fun. Most of the time I can't get out of the first mission. I've made it a few secrets into mission 2 a couple of times, but that's it.

The idea that I could ever do the whole thing on ironman is ludicrous. I remember my first run on Nightmare, I had to do 1 battle near the end of mission 12 somewhere between 20 and 40 times. So around 20-40 deaths, and that was just one battle.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've come across death markers of 1 or 2 other OO'ers who have tried ironman. Effidian for one, although I can't recall the name of the other. It'll come to me, or I'll see the marker again.

Of course the markers are a year old, but it's still cool to see them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Made it to the 4th gore nest on mission 3 on ultra-nightmare. So close. One more big fight (which I can usually finish without dying) after that and I would have been on to mission 4.

The more I try, the more I'm impressed with those who can do it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant beat the final boss and I cant get cheat codes to work. hate to quit right at the end but see no way past it. Best I got was her health to half way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Beat it. Well I found how to enable cheat codes so guess I didn't really beat it but I finished it. Now I can delete it. Before I do though and get that 70 gig back Im going to give it a few more goes in non god mode and see if I can do it. Probably not.

Guess not . It wont let me restart at the end boss. It makes me start at that final episode. Im not replaying the entire ep to get to that point and try again. Im deleting it. Shame. Ill always kinda feel I didn't finish it in a small little way. F it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 17, 2016 12:32 pm Played this for about an hour last night, and had to stop because I started getting a massive headache and my stomach was doing flip-flops. Once I stopped playing, both the headache and stomach churn stopped.

Motion sickness due to gaming would be a first for me (it has never bothered me in FPS before), so I'm hoping it was maybe something unrelated.
I just started it on the PS4 and I couldn't play it at first. The view spun too quickly and my eyes couldn't keep up and gave me a headache. I made major adjustments to the default settings and I think I should be able to get through it now.

Oddly enough, increasing FOV made it worse. Had to leave it any 90 and make other adjustments.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find I can't really play twitchy shooters anymore. I tend to prefer the slower more exploratory ones with RPG elements.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 pm I find I can't really play twitchy shooters anymore. I tend to prefer the slower more exploratory ones with RPG elements.
It was the Super Mario-esque jumping segments that turned me totally off of this game.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I remember having to diagonal jump on the old Turok game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ultima 8 Pagan worst jumping ever.