[2016] Doom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: [2016] Doom

Post by Smoove_B »

Some of the secrets are easy to find (it's a matter of reaching a platform and getting to a seemingly out of reach ledge), but when I saw some of the secrets...I have no idea how people were finding them without a guide. Good luck.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I passed up the second doll in the first map last night. Just right there and missed the tunnel. And I had played that map many times in demo. Thats how bad I am at secrets.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think not being able to save when I want is going to bite me. I spent an hour and a half in area 2 and only found 4 out of 8 secrets. I got the 3 challenges done but its showing Ive missed a elite and some shard energy thing and those 4 secrets...plus I cant make heads or tales of that 3d map. I hate 3d maps. I exited because i dotn want to go to the next lvl...I hope I didn't lose my 3 gun upgrades my armor upgrade and all else ive done...it warned me but I saw no way to save. if it did that to me I think Im done with it for a good while. I hate games where I cant save.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looked at a secrets video. No wonder I missed those other secrets. I have GOT to start looking up.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Steam sale, 50% off = 40 canuckibucks.

:roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I spend 2 days on the Foundry map searching all over. I got tired and ended the lvl to 2 of 6 secrets found..I even missed a gun or something. Good Lord. It was easier in the old days. These days graphics are detailed and amazing . That entire lvl was mind blowing gorgeous. In the old days you could spot a secret wall and such because it looked a little different. Not now. Almost makes me not want to play.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm playing Fall of the Dungeon Guardians and trying to distinguish the secret buttons on the walls is pretty frustrating.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

And I complain when a game puts a little sparkle or glow on an interactive item! Don't show me where everything is, dammit! I want to find it myself.

I still haven't played this iteration of DOOM, and may not. I'm not much for First Person slaughter-fests. I did like the last one, which was more of a horror & suspense game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I did really good last map. Found everything but one trial. I did find it I just didn't click it. Usually dont bother with them. They seem to give good rewards though.

I got stuck this map. Sometimes you can get to plays that move you ahead in the map without noticing and get stuck with no way back to stuff you were putting off going to. This time I climbed and jumped my way out on a scaffold bridge and found I could not get back up to my jump point and go back to do the rest of the starting area. I just jumped to my death and quit for now.

Its a LOT easier if you find the secret full map console. Loads the entire map with paths and all secrets.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Im still at that point :)

You remember the fuss when Watch Dogs came out and looked so much more crappier than the E3 demo or which ever it was? Well DOOM is just the opposite it seems.

DOOM is better in release than E3 demo graphics
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played a full large ass lvl. Fun still but I never did see the DOOM secret room lever or the dolls. Im missing a lot. I hope when the game is done theres some way to play all the secret old DOOM rooms. Its one of the big reasons I got the game.

Back in hell again after the tower level.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, this is probably stupid, but where is the autosave indicator? I'm ok with the save system, but I want to know when it has actually saved so I can start watching for it when I know I'm going to have to quit.

The HUD is fairly busy and I haven't noticed the indicator yet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't played since my last post so over a month. Dont know off hand.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:Ok, this is probably stupid, but where is the autosave indicator? I'm ok with the save system, but I want to know when it has actually saved so I can start watching for it when I know I'm going to have to quit.

The HUD is fairly busy and I haven't noticed the indicator yet.
Text message, upper left corner I believe. "checkpoint reached".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. At least I'll know where to watch next time.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Solid shooter. Decent Doom feel, lots of little meta doohickies (upgrades, challenges, collectibles, lore) to keep you interested between blowing up demons. Glory kills are painless and they are seamlessly integrated into the shooter mechanics. Each level has a nostalgic throwback 16 bit original doom map (or part of one) that is easy to recognize. Plenty of secrets if that's your thing.

Having a great time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had a great time up until some point. I haven't played in a month. I got disappointed in not finding the old doom levels I think. Its one of the main reasons I got the game. But trying to find all that extra stuff took up a lot of time and burned me out too much so I started skipping it all. Then I felt I was missing out and not getting my fun and monies worth. Then I just gave up.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:I had a great time up until some point. I haven't played in a month. I got disappointed in not finding the old doom levels I think. Its one of the main reasons I got the game. But trying to find all that extra stuff took up a lot of time and burned me out too much so I started skipping it all. Then I felt I was missing out and not getting my fun and monies worth. Then I just gave up.
That seems like an incredibly odd reason to buy the game, but we each have our own motivations I guess.

While I am hunting for all secrets I have skipped several already. The automap has made things fairly simple so far, but of course I'm not far into the game and I'm sure things get harder, not to mention things get much harder if you don't have the automap and therefore don't know where to look for the secrets (although there is an upgrade that tells you when you are close to a secret).

I have real trouble with the secrets that open with a lever. I can never see the lever without help so far.

The original doom "levels" have so far been just bits and pieces of the original wads. They certainly aren't the full levels. Maybe the pieces fit together when you get more of them, but so far they have been more like "rooms" from the original game, rather than level.

The gameplay is fast and shooting demons is satisfying. Whether that's enough depends on the player I guess.

And again, my impressions are early and you've had more time to come to your conclusions. I'm only on mission 5.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually right behind you - I'm on the last objective before starting mission 5.

The classic levels are unlocked with levers, and are only a small section, but supposedly finding it unlocks the full levels via the main menu.

If all you want are the old levels, though, the snap-map browser has a ton of them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at where I stopped it seems its at a very complicated area where Ive been to part of it before and Im not sure where to go. I am lost I guess. I dont care for super complicated levels. Maybe its why the old DOOMs are my favorite. Fully 3D drives me nuts at times. I really need to finish it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm actually right behind you - I'm on the last objective before starting mission 5.

The classic levels are unlocked with levers, and are only a small section, but supposedly finding it unlocks the full levels via the main menu.

If all you want are the old levels, though, the snap-map browser has a ton of them.
That's cool, and I thought something like that might be the case re: original levels.

While it's kind of unique to play around in the original maps with modern weaponry, I would think if your goal is to see the original levels again, just buy the original game again. It's part of about a zillion bundles. Hell, just go pirate it, it's tiny and there is no difficulty in finding it. I've both pirated and bought it at various times over the years.

And again, we each have our own motivations and find enjoyment in different ways, I'm just saying that the little Daehawk wrote seems completely alien to my own viewpoint.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really enjoyed standing inside of the older area and looking out at the new area. What an amazing difference 20 years makes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you really want the 'classic doom' feel, hop into the options and select the 'classic Doom weapon placement' (or something like that) option.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I own the old DOOM games and Quakes. Can always replay them for the levels. Its just fun seeing them in the new game. Like I said standing in the old area and looking out really is shocking to me. I know DOOM II lvls by heart. I can go in blind and know where I am and what monsters are where nearly and where the guns and such are. I played it every night ALL night from around Nov 1994 to July 1995 or maybe into 1996. It was my first multiplayer game on a PC. Lived it. I hear that music in the new one and it takes me back to those nights. Just another reason 1990s were the best.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thank goodness for SSDs. Had it on a platter drive and the load times were ungodly. Switched over to SSD and things are tolerable.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Steam appears to be trying to feed me a 34.7 gig patch?!

edit: All DLC (which is only multiplayer) is now free and included with the base game and there have been major changes to how multiplayer progression works.

Doom has a free weekend coming up (first 2 levels of single player + unlimited multiplayer I think) soon. Not sure which one though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya update 6.66 gets rid of the season pass and gives all mp DLC free.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I really enjoy my time with the game, although I do feel kinda squishy and have to repeat some areas multiple times until I finally side step something that I didn't see coming at me last time or even this time.

It's fun. The guns are fun. Upgrading them is fun. Shooting things is fun. Punching things for health is fun. It definitely gives off a vibe that feels very Doom-like, whereas Doom III never felt like that to me.

That 34.7 gig update prevented me from playing last night. I was not happy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just stumbled onto an easter egg. It was in a cave in a hell level, hidden in the dark (I had to use pistol fire for light.)
Spoiler:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LOL.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I just finished that level, assuming it's the same one as I was only in Hell for 1 level then back to Mars, and I missed that. Good find.

I did find the lever for the original doom level without help, which is a first for me. So that felt like an actual accomplishment (even if it really wasn't).

The shootout at the end of that level was a blast!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: I did find the lever for the original doom level without help, which is a first for me. So that felt like an actual accomplishment (even if it really wasn't).
The easter egg was in the same cave, about three feet from that lever.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:lol:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

On the second last mission and things continue to be fun.

The game has basically 2 modes. Travel mode where you look for secrets and move on to the next area with relative impunity, and combat mode, where you reach a checkpoint right before a major battle where swarms of demons come at you. The checkpoint allows for easy reload if you die.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

All done.

I think I was playing on Ultra-violence.

Last boss felt pretty standard with only a few little tweaks to keep it from being a completely straightforward fight, but mostly it was just stay alive and shoot it. I have to admit I was expecting something fancier for a final battle but I found it satisfying nonetheless.

I'd like to play again as I find the furballs a lot of fun but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do differently to make it more interesting. Obviously I can go for all the secrets, which was not a priority the first time through, even though I mostly got them. I'd say about 75-80% of them anyway.

Mostly, it was just a fun shooter with a dash of nostalgia. I have no interest in multiplayer so I might be done with the game, which is too bad, really. I want to do it again, but I need to find something to vary the playthrough from my first one.

edit: I just checked the classic maps from the menu. Seems like you play on the old wads but keep your model, the gun models and the enemy models from the new game. It's actually very cool and anyone who remembers the original game fondly would probably enjoy revisiting the levels with modern weapons and enemies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive let it sit two months...or Im stuck..either way. Im on this big open map with multi levels and the lower most level is a place I already came through. Im kinda busy so not playing it but in dabs and when I do play all I do on that area is run around trying to find where the hell to go. If I go down then Ive already been here. If I stay up then I dont find a way out. If I try to get to a area I see across from me I can make the jump. Frustrating.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's usually a symptom of taking a break from a game. You lose the 'flow' of the level. See if there is an option to restart that level.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Started a new game on Nightmare. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. On the second mission and stuck in a long range combat with imps. You would think you could dodge imp fireballs if you see them early enough, but man...I swear they accelerate as they fly. And they do between 40 and 60 damage. Which means getting hit twice means I die more often than not.

Much harder than I expected.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I should mention that I avoided the "rich get richer" relic as I had read that it was overpowered. I tested it when I got it with the minigun/turret at max and it was insane. I could wipe out a room almost without anyone getting a shot off at me. I may use it in my nightmare run :wink:

As with most fps, using scrolling with the middle mouse button rolls through your weapons. This is fine and is how I normally switch weapons, because I'm left handed and hitting the top row number keys is not convenient. But with Doom, they've added a ui element that I absolutely love. First, they have a single key that will switch you between 2 weapons. So if you want to fast switch between shotgun and rocket launcher and then back to shotgun again, you can hit a single key (once to switch to rocket launcher, again to switch back). Excellent. But the really nifty thing they've done is a weapon dial. Lots of games use dials for skill or weapon selection, but Doom SLOWS the game down to a crawl while the dial is up. The game is not paused, but it's slow enough that an old man like me can pick and choose my weapons mid-combat without (too much) fear of getting wiped out while figuring out which weapon has enough ammo left to be worth switching to. The fact that the dial comes up when you hold down the same key that does the weapon switch toggle is the cherry on top.

Great interface element. Love love love it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:That's usually a symptom of taking a break from a game. You lose the 'flow' of the level. See if there is an option to restart that level.
Yeah, I've been there before.

He was probably on Mission 4, Argent Facility, which is one of the more wide open levels and can be a bit confusing. On the plus side, you can do any part of the map in any order, so just wandering around will get you where you need to go eventually.

You also return to this map on a later mission, but things have changed in various ways so the routes are not always the same as they were the first time you arrived.

It's actually not too bad a map, but if you were expecting rails like in the earlier missions this one might be a bit offputting.

I will say that once you're past this map you can expect things to be more linear again.