Starship Corporation

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Starship Corporation

Post by Daehawk »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/29233 ... _4__100_10

A scifi simulation game, in which players must design, assemble and test space ships, in a bid to build a supreme Galactic mega-corporation. Gain your reputation by engineering and selling your own spacecraft, testing them to the limit in RTS missions and simulated emergency and combat situations.

I like how you design the interior of the ships too. And it comes into play during the battles.

Infomercial

HD trailer

A battle

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Re: Starship Corporation

Post by jztemple2 »

I put it on my wishlist, but I'm staying away from early access, so I'll wait.

And anyone know why subscribing to RSS feeds in Steam quit working? On a Steam news item I click the "Subscribe to RSS Feed" link and that used to load the interface in Firefox so I could subscribe the feed using Feedly. It still works fine for non-Steam stuff, so I figure it's some weird Steam issue. Anyone else see this?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

This thing has been in development for AGES. I have a feeling it will never be finished.
There is no hug button. Sad!
JoelMathews01

Post by JoelMathews01 »

Awesome game.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This went on sale with the DLC for it that just came out, so I bit the bullet. After sinking a good 10 hours into it I come away very mixed.

On one hand, gameplay loop of designing ships to meet specific contract requirements is great. Trying to layout a ship to cram everything in and save a few bucks at the same time is fun, compelling, and there's a big payoff in seeing a ship you designed get built and pull in money for your company.

On the other hand, there's everything else. Both the campaign and the ship management portions of the game where you test new ship designs in a simulator to see how they rate are both very weak in their own ways.

The ship management feels tacked on, is extraordinarily time consuming (if you tried to run all the tests manually for a new ship, it would take you hours), and weirdly is only something you do when a ship is being produced... even though you can buy and run ships of your own in the campaign, you never have the option to manage them in the field. For instance, there is a test for offensive capabilities in which you control your crew as they fight another ship. There's not a lot to it, but you can target the enemy ship, man the weapons, move your crew around to repair damage, etc. But if a ship you build encounters another ship in space during the campaign... auto resolve is the only option. It just feels very odd that they have this elaborate (if somewhat flawed) system for controlling ships and crew, and never really allow it's use in the campaign.

The campaign has some promise, but it's far too scripted, far too hard to turn a reasonable profit, and the UI is basic at best.

It's a real shame about the ship management and campaign as the ship building itself is a lot of fun as a sort of management/puzzle game, but the rest of the game just never quite lives up to the promise of the ship editor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought it, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I want to at least get pretty far in one of my games before starting another one, and I'm buying more games than I can ever play. Hahaha. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds