Hitman - the new one

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

AWS260

Hitman - the new one

Post by AWS260 »

Do we really not have a thread for the new Hitman? Anyway...

I plowed through Hitman Absolution earlier this year, and thought it was OK. Tonally awful, often too linear, but with some nice setpiece levels.

Now that I've played the new Hitman, I think Absolution is a piece of crap. This is peak Hitman -- wide-open, flexible, a bit goofy. So far, two levels are out: one set in a mansion outside Paris that's hosting a fashion show, and other in the beachside town of Sapienza, Italy. Both levels are huge, with lots of nooks and crannys and fun opportunities.

Without spoiling too much, a couple of examples: in Paris, one of the first thing you'll see are huge banners promoting the superstar male model at the fashion show -- a tall, bald man. In Sapienza, you'll have the opportunity to disguise yourself as a medieval plague doctor. The game tracks which opportunities you pursued, so that you can try other ones on your next run-through.

There's a story tying things together, but it's pretty thin so far. This is much more about the sandbox experience than the narrative.
Daehawk

Re: Hitman - the new one

Post by Daehawk »

I played 3 missions in Blood Money and never touched Absolution even though I own it. Something in me or the series changed at Blood Money and I lost interest. Loved and finished whatever came before them. As I remember i thought Blood Money was good but I lost interest for some reason. My favorite was where he was based in a church's tool shed. Was that 2?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I decided to wait until they had all the levels out. Difficult for me to keep coming back to a game (which is why I don't buy episodic games until they are complete).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I do the same with episodic games since the first Walking Dead drove me nuts waiting.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

OK then.

I successfully completed last weekend's elusive target, The Twin. Two identically-dressed twins are wandering the streets of Sapienza with their bodyguards, and 47 has to kill one without harming the other.

Getting the kill required a lot of planning -- first I had to shadow the twins to learn their patterns and figure out which one was my target. Because they were constantly in public and guarded, I decided on sniping, but appropriate sniping platforms were few and far between. Eventually, I cleared out a good location overlooking the town square, disguised myself as a guard to bring over a sniper rifle without attracting suspicion, took my shot, and escaped in a VW Beetle. Satisfying, but not as fun as some other missions in the game.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

I've been trying to get all the elusive targets but usually end up forgetting about them until until it's too late to do them.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The penultimate level, a militia encampment in Colorado, came out yesterday. It's an interesting change of pace, in that there are no public spaces--it turns out that armed militiamen don't let the general public wander onto their property. This makes the beginning of the level a challenge, since you have to acquire a disguise before you can really begin to explore.

I haven't finished the level yet -- I took out one of four targets yesterday, and I think I have a good strategy for an "accident" that will kill one more.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just finished off the final mission, set in an exclusive private hospital in Japan. Not the hardest of the levels, but one of the most fun, with plenty of creative opportunities to pursue.

Now that the "season" is complete, I'd recommend this to darn near anyone. If you like classic Hitman, I think it's a no-brainer.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thanks for the impressions. I was skeptical of the episodic release so I held off. Now I am waiting for a good sale.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

coopasonic wrote:Thanks for the impressions. I was skeptical of the episodic release so I held off. Now I am waiting for a good sale.
It's 50% on Steam right now.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

The only thing holding me back from buying is that I really don't like their DRM.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:The only thing holding me back from buying is that I really don't like their DRM.
You mean the always-online requirement? Yeah, that's a definite stumbling block if you don't have reliable internet. For what it's worth, I've never had any problems staying connected to their servers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grabbed it from the steam sale and finished the training missions. Should I disable the waypoint tool that shows you where to go and what to do based on overheard conversations? It seemed to make the final training mission where it first appears a little too easy. But if it becomes necessary for average players to succeed later, I could live with it
Covfefe!
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

hepcat wrote:Grabbed it from the steam sale and finished the training missions. Should I disable the waypoint tool that shows you where to go and what to do based on overheard conversations? It seemed to make the final training mission where it first appears a little too easy. But if it becomes necessary for average players to succeed later, I could live with it
You can set it to "minimal". It will still give you hints, but it doesn't lead you by the nose or place objective markers.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Captain Caveman wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Thanks for the impressions. I was skeptical of the episodic release so I held off. Now I am waiting for a good sale.
It's 50% on Steam right now.
I wish they would stop monitoring my posts to determine what is on sale. Bought and will be playing it right after I defeat the aliens in XCOM 2 for the fifth time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm just starting on Paris. This game is illustrating that I need a new video card. I'm also super lost in the level. Way too many options at the moment, but I'm digging it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it today. I didn't understand that each episode is just one mission. Yes, they are very large missions and each has at least 2 targets. If you don't like running through the missions again and again to obtain mastery (get all the optional objectives), then this game doesn't offer a lot of gameplay. Steam says 14.4 hours. I repeated two missions or it would have been more like 12. If I hadn't been going for silent assassin on each level it probably would have been more like 6 hours. If you do like playing over and over again to get all the unlocks and such, you have gameplay for years (well weeks?).

The gameplay that is there is good, there is just not a lot of it unless you do a lot of replays. Also the story... bleh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

godhugh wrote:
hepcat wrote:Grabbed it from the steam sale and finished the training missions. Should I disable the waypoint tool that shows you where to go and what to do based on overheard conversations? It seemed to make the final training mission where it first appears a little too easy. But if it becomes necessary for average players to succeed later, I could live with it
You can set it to "minimal". It will still give you hints, but it doesn't lead you by the nose or place objective markers.
Given the size of the levels, the objective markers are almost a necessity for your first run. You could wander Marrakesh for hours looking for something.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

coopasonic wrote:Finished it today. I didn't understand that each episode is just one mission. Yes, they are very large missions and each has at least 2 targets. If you don't like running through the missions again and again to obtain mastery (get all the optional objectives), then this game doesn't offer a lot of gameplay. Steam says 14.4 hours. I repeated two missions or it would have been more like 12. If I hadn't been going for silent assassin on each level it probably would have been more like 6 hours. If you do like playing over and over again to get all the unlocks and such, you have gameplay for years (well weeks?).

The gameplay that is there is good, there is just not a lot of it unless you do a lot of replays. Also the story... bleh.
The levels are worth replaying, IMO. They are just packed full of stuff and some of the kills are incredibly entertaining to try and pull off. Also, there are all sorts of challenges in each level which are a lot of fun to find and complete. I'm up to 14 hours of play time and I've played each level once and have been working on getting to lvl 20 in Paris. I would guess I'll end up with 50-60 hours in season 1.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm ok with it. I just would have liked to know ahead of time that there were few actual missions and the heart of it was replaying the missions.

Absolution had 20 missions.... so going to 6 (or 7) is a pretty steep drop that I didn't expect. There may have been close to 20 targets though. Each mission had at least 2 and there were a couple with more targets and a couple additional non-kill objectives.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Have you looked at the escalations yet? Those are new targets with increasingly difficult challenges attached. Also, the different assassination challenges really do force you to take such drastically different approaches that it feels like a different level.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... You won't be able to buy Hitman Season One episodes individually for much longer
June 9

Io Intearctive's Hitman is, at the moment, buyable in bite-sized chunks. You start with the Intro Pack and Episode 1, and then tack on episodes as you like: Sapienza, Marrakesh, Colorado, and so forth. Not for much longer, however. With all of the first season content now released, the studio said that "The Complete First Season" compilation will become the default purchase option, and the Intro and Upgrade packs will no longer be offered.

The changeover will take place in roughly two weeks, Io said, after which the individual episodes, along with the packs, will no longer be offered for sale. However, owners of the Intro Pack will be able to upgrade to the Complete First Edition at a reduced price, depending on how many episodes they already own.

"We are announcing these changes today, to make sure that existing players are fully aware of their options and to give a fair amount of time before these changes come into effect," Io wrote. "These changes do not affect anyone who purchased the Complete First Season on disc, nor do they affect any existing digital purchases. If you already own either The Complete First Season or the Upgrade Pack, these changes will not affect you."

It doesn't appear that this is related to Io's uncertain future, as the message says that the changes have been planned since early March and are intended to "make it easier and simpler to buy the game," and will also "help us lay the foundations for our future plans for Hitman." A thread answering questions about the store changes—and only the store changes, so don't bother asking about live targets or Season Two or anything like that, because they've already shot those down—is available on Reddit.

Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Per Bluesnews: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free,

HITMAN Episode 1 for Free

[Jun 20, 2017, 09:18 am ET] - 4 Comments
The Hitman website announces the first chapter in the episodic HITMAN game is now available for free, probably prompted by the fact that developer IO Interactive is now free as well. Many episodic games offer a sample in this manner, but this hadn't been the case for this game prior to now. Here's a Welcome to The Playground trailer with the news, and here are more details:

This is big news: We're making the first location in HITMAN free to download for everyone!

"I'm proud to announce that our first hello as an independent studio is to invite all gamers to play the beginning of HITMAN for free. There is a lot of love out there for HITMAN and with this offering we hope that many more will fall in love with the game. We believe that this is Hitman at its best. So jump in and give a try.” - Hakan Abrak, CEO Io-Interactive.

The ICA Facility will be available as a free download on PS4, Xbox One and PC starting today - and we're extremely excited to see more players try the game. The download includes absolutely everything that we've released for that location; two story missions (including all cut-scenes), two Escalation Contracts, more than 40 challenges, 17 achievements and trophies, plus thousands of player-created missions in Contracts Mode - all of that is now available completely free of charge.

Players who download the ICA Facility for free will be able to keep all of their progress when they upgrade to the full game - plus we've lined up some discounts on the full game to make this a great time to buy. We're talking up to 60% off on some platforms!

If you've already played HITMAN, thank you for supporting us! If you want to help us spread the word, Hitman.com/free is the link to share with friends and family. There are also discounts on the Bonus Episode and Requiem Pack, so take a look at the store to see if there's more Hitman content waiting for you there.

[The Free download will be on Steam in a few hours, at approx 6pm CEST.]
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Alright, more info in this Steam discussion thread, Free download has arrived! (Update: for real this time)
The first location in HITMAN is now available as a free download for everyone!

All Steam users will be able to download The ICA Facility and the download includes absolutely everything that we’ve released for that location; two story missions (including all cut-scenes), two Escalation Contracts, more than 40 challenges, 17 achievements and trophies, plus thousands of player-created missions in Contracts Mode – all of that is now available completely free of charge.

You'll be able to keep all your progress if you choose to buy the full game - and we've lined up a 66% discount on Steam to make it a great time to buy!

If you’ve already played HITMAN, thank you for supporting us! If you want to help us spread the word, Hitman.com/free is the link to share with friends and family. There are also discounts on the Bonus Episode and Requiem Pack, so take a look at the store to see if there’s more Hitman content waiting for you there.

You'll find the free download by looking for the 'Download Demo' button on the Hitman Store page. The download will show in your library as 'HITMAN Demo', so you can easily see the difference between the free version and full version.
And this was posted by someone about an hour ago:

Code: Select all

Seems to be on now. Link: steam://install/649780 
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... Denuvo anti-tamper tech has been removed from HITMAN
IO Interactive has rolled out a new patch for HITMAN that has removed its Denuvo anti-tamper tech. We don’t know whether this removal was done on purpose or by accident. After all, we’ve seen in the past other developers rolling out patches for their games without the Denuvo anti-tamper tech, only to re-implement it later via another patch.

This latest patch for HITMAN also comes with level design, AI and UI improvements in all missions and contracts in the ICA Facility. It’s worth noting that due to these changes, previous game saves in this location will not be valid.

Here are the rest of the changes that have been introduced to HITMAN via its latest update:
Spoiler:
Global Hints
We’ve added a new system of global hints that will explain some of the game’s mechanics to new players.
These can be toggled in the settings menu and are set to ‘On’ by default.
The Adrian Eclipse
We’ve fixed an issue that could cause this contract to be ‘failed’ unfairly. We removed it from the game in March and now it’s back in. Find it under the Paris Destination.
Bootflow Options
We’ve tweaked the bootflow of the game with a new background and shortened the time it takes to get into the game.
Suit Only, Hunted
We’ve fixed an issue that could cause the ‘Hunted’ state to apply to 47’s suit, even if he was wearing a different disguise when compromised.
Bareknuckle Boxer
We’ve fixed an issue that could make it impossible for 47 to poison Novikov’s drink in The Showstopper during the ‘A Drink to Die For’ opportunity.
Steam Achievement Localisation
We’ve updated the localised names and descriptions of the Steam achievements .
Menu Tweaks
We’ve made minor tweaks to the overall menus, especially the Options Menu to ensure consistency when selecting buttons.

We got in touch with IO Interactive in order to find out whether the removal of the Denuvo is permanent or not.
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just noticed this, the Hitman Holiday Pack is available for free, this started Dec 15 and goes to Jan 05.

The announcement is here
This month, we’re ending the year in style and inviting all players to Paris.

On December 15th, we will release the Hitman Holiday Pack that will give full access to our Paris destination. This FREE download will include the first major story mission from the game, ‘Showstopper’, plus all of the Escalation Contracts we’ve released for Paris, our ‘Holiday Hoarders’ mission plus the Paris Challenge Packs and achievements too! It will also allow you to play the future re-activated Elusive Targets in Paris.

Sound like a good deal? It is. That’s why the Hitman Holiday Pack is only available for a limited time, from December 15th to January 5th. Once you’ve downloaded it, Paris is yours to keep permanently. All of your progress and mission mastery will carry through to the full game when you choose to upgrade to the Game of the Year Edition we released last month.

You’ll find the Hitman Holiday Pack either through the new in-game store or by searching on Steam for “Hitman Holiday Pack”, starting on December 15th.
So if you download it in the next few days, Paris is free for you to keep forever. "We'll always have Paris".
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hitman's best level, Sapienza, is free through April 3. If you haven't tried the new Hitman, I highly recommend it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I feel there will come a time when this thread title is misleading.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Coopasonic made this available to me as a freebie (thanks! :wub:)

I'd played the initial training missions on the ship before, and also Paris when it was available for free, but I decided to go back and replay them. Maybe the Opportunity mode wasn't available when I first played it, but this time I had the Opportunities mode active and that helped me a lot. Also save scumming too :wink:.

Paris was tough. I changed disguises several times, wandered all over the damn building, and finally killed both targets sneakily. Then I looked at the different challenges and figured I hadn't even touched the surface of all the possible ways to accomplish the mission.

And then I played Sapienza. Oh my gosh, I was a one man mayhem machine. I subdued the chef's assistant, snuck in as him and poisoned the sauce. But nothing came of this :(. So I wandered around, found a flower delivery van and ended up with three unconscious civilians piled up behind the van. I slipped in to deliver the flowers and got the one male target.

I slipped back out and wandered the town looking for a new disguise, the flower delivery disguise having been blown. I slugged someone but was spotted and ran all over trying to shake my pursuers. I finally went down to the shore, clubbed a guy in a suit, was spotted again and ran along the beach. And darn if I didn't find a hidden doorway to a secret lair :mrgreen:

So I wandered around the secret laboratory which would have made Dr No proud, swapping disguises. I finally go into the isolation lab and into a hazmat suit, although by this time I'd have to knock out about eight people :roll:. I went into the lab, destroyed the virus and because I had no idea of what else to do, I started clubbing other guys in hazmat suits with a wrench. By now the alarm was up so I changed disguises again and ran around trying to find a way out. As I ran up a ramp the door at the top opened and in walked my female target with several guards. By now I was just freaking out so I pulled my gun and started shooting everyone :doh:. I ran up the ramp, through the house, out the backyard and finally escaped. My point total was meager since I had killed six non-targets in my rush to escape :roll:

Ah, good times... :shifty:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't know if this is a good place to post this info, but from PC Games, Hitman 3 will be an Epic exclusive

The whole article:
IO Interactive has revealed a new location for the upcoming Hitman 3, and also a new storefront: announcing that it will be an Epic Store exclusive when the game releases in 2021. "This partnership with Epic has given us the freedom to create the game exactly as we imagined," says IO Interactive CEO Hakan Abrak, "for our fans and for our community uncompromised."

A trailer released alongside the Epic announcement shows off Thornbridge Manor in Dartmoor, England, the first of Agent 47's new assassination sandboxes, hitman hotspots, strangulation locations—whatever you want to call them. If this isn't Hitman's bid to jumpstart English tourism in 2021, I don't know what is.

Hitman 3 will, for the first time in the series' history, be self-published by IO. Originally owned by Square Enix, in 2017 the publisher parted ways with the IO, and Hitman 2 has Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on publishing duty.

Despite Hitman 3's new home on the Epic store, IO has confirmed that existing progress from Hitman 2 on Steam will still carry over to the sequel.

If this news has made you think it would be a good time to give this Hitman thing people keep talking about a try, good news: 2016's Hitman will be free on the Epic Games Store from August 27 to September 3, to keep forever
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I think I'll wait for it to be released on Steam.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im laughing at JZ's old post about clubbing everyone in a hazmat suit then freaking out running and simply shooting the female target and anyone near her.

I never pay attention to the scores or points. I simply play missions my own way and consider it a success if I get my target and I live. Still not played any Hitman since the very beginning of Blood Money.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:09 pm Don't know if this is a good place to post this info, but from PC Games, Hitman 3 will be an Epic exclusive
Based on the title this thread should be good for every new Hitman game. How very forward thinking.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is this for Hitman 3? If so theres a new video showing the 3rd area they have announced.

Homepage
https://hitman.com/us/

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I really love the title of this topic, but I guess sometime we'll have to start a new HITMAN 3 thread. In the meantime, a new trailer, Introducing HITMAN 3 (Gameplay Trailer) [4K]. You'll have to click through the "Watch on YouTube" link since they think this is too violent for ordinary forum viewing. Apparently they haven't watched any of the Cyberpunk 2077 videos :wink:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SPOILERS First 5 min of gameplay SPOILERS

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive- ... ai-mission
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Article from PCGamesN, With Hitman 3, more of the same has never been more appealing

Excerpt:
Yes, Hitman 3 is more Hitman. You can still throw a screwdriver into someone’s neck through an open doorway and be confident no one will realise that you committed the crime. IO Interactive hit on a winning formula with 2016’s soft reboot of the series, and the final entry in the new trilogy is an even gentler iteration on that formula than Hitman 2 was. But maybe change is overrated when something’s already this good.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hitman 3 will have PSVR support. I would def be interested in checking it out if it comes tot PC VR.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PCGamesN, Hitman 3 on Epic will not import your Steam purchases of Hitman 1 and 2

Entire article:
One of the big selling points of Hitman 3 is that it’ll house all the levels from the entire trilogy, importing those stages from the games and expansion content you already own. However, since Hitman 3 is now an Epic exclusive, and the previous games had been released on Steam, that import process isn’t going to work how you want it to on PC.

Hitman 3 on Epic will not import levels from your Steam purchases of Hitman 1 and 2, developer IO Interactive explains in its pre-launch guide. The Epic version of Hitman 3 will include the Hitman GOTY Access Pass content for free for the first ten days after release, but after that period is up, you’ll have to pay for it. If you already own Hitman 1 on Epic (it was given away for free last year), you’ll automatically receive the Hitman GOTY Access Pass content for free, as well.

You will not receive the Hitman 2 levels for free. Instead, the Hitman 2 Standard and Gold Access Passes will be 80% off for the first 14 days after the launch of Hitman 3. The Standard version contains the levels from the release version of Hitman 2, and the Gold version includes both the base and DLC levels.

The price has not been announced for any of these packs, but a similar bundle to bring Hitman 1 levels into Hitman 2 is $19.99 / £15.99.

Whichever way you get access to the levels from the previous games, you will be able to import your Hitman 2 progression – including item and location mastery unlocks – from Steam to Epic. However, you can only do this once, and any progress you’ve already made in Hitman 3 will be wiped out when you choose to do the import.

Analysis:

This sucks.

I’ve been apathetic at worst toward Epic exclusivity in the past – I don’t use 90% of what Steam offers, and in some ways I prefer Epic’s less feature-filled client – but here’s a point where Epic exclusivity is actively making a game worse for its most devoted fans.

These are the best stealth games out there right now, and based on my preview session Hitman 3 is going to be fantastic, but it should’ve been a slam dunk getting all of this content easily accessible in one place. Instead, well… Here we are.

by Dustin Bailey