[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Newcastle

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by Newcastle »

Totally pre-ordered this. I've gotten SOOOO many hours out of the civ franchise as a whole that its a no brainer for me. Even went with the digital deluxe to get the dlc locked up. I just know i am going the play the hell out of this game.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Newcastle wrote:Totally pre-ordered this. I've gotten SOOOO many hours out of the civ franchise as a whole that its a no brainer for me. Even went with the digital deluxe to get the dlc locked up. I just know i am going the play the hell out of this game.
I suppose I got a few hours out of it, but the only time I preorder anything is if it happens to be at a massive discount.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Newcastle wrote:Totally pre-ordered this. I've gotten SOOOO many hours out of the civ franchise as a whole that its a no brainer for me. Even went with the digital deluxe to get the dlc locked up. I just know i am going the play the hell out of this game.
Same here, can't wait. If I had a job I'd even take the day off, but involuntary retirement has its perks I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Lorini wrote:
Same here, can't wait. If I had a job I'd even take the day off, but involuntary retirement has its perks I guess.
I took the day off of work the moment I preordered. At my job Civ VI is hotly anticipated, I had to get in my time off request before everybody else did ... my boss is going to wonder what is going on.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Amazon has 20% ($12) for Prime customers preordering the physical copy of the game only. It also comes with early access to the Aztecs (which apparently will be available to everyone after 90 days). I'm likely to be out of town on 10/21, so this works.

I clicked a link for an Amex "Pay with Points" promotion that I thought would give an extra $25. But pay with points is not allowed for preorders. :x
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Jeff V wrote:Amazon has 20% ($12) for Prime customers preordering the physical copy of the game only.
Thanks for that! That was enough for me to go ahead and pre-order, especially considering (if my memory serves) the Civ games don't typically have any big sales for some time after launch...
-something witty-
tgb

Post by tgb »

Gamersgate has an unusual offer for Civ VI. Full boat of $59.95 if you pay cash, but if you pay in their currency (Blue Coins) it's 41,993.

Since the blue coins sell for 1000 for $1, that makes it $42 in real money.

I'm not sure why they don't just price it at $42 across the board instead of making you jump through these hoops.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

The Amazon deal just broke my will to resist as well. I sense many hours will be spent clicking "next".
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Looks like I'll be home next weekend after all. I have to entertain the baby while my wife gets sleep on Friday and Saturday nights; so I may attempt to play some if I can get the kid to be quiet for a period of time.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Yep, I just dived in on the Amazon Prime deal as well. First game in quite awhile I've pre-ordered, I am so stoked! :horse:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tgb

Post by tgb »

Why did no one tell me that VI finally introduces a Casus Belli system? Now more AI declaring wars just because?

Sold!

Thank you, Paradox.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote:Why did no one tell me that VI finally introduces a Casus Belli system? Now more AI declaring wars just because?

Sold!

Thank you, Paradox.
I did say this, a few weeks ago:
From what I have gathered, the sort of territorial conquest game is more attainable in the early stages, before war types and penalties appear. This seems realistic to me, as world domination by force in the modern age is, in reality, a bit of a stretch.
And I linked to the RPS article that discussed it. I knew you would enjoy these changes!
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote:
tgb wrote:Why did no one tell me that VI finally introduces a Casus Belli system? Now more AI declaring wars just because?

Sold!

Thank you, Paradox.
I did say this, a few weeks ago:
From what I have gathered, the sort of territorial conquest game is more attainable in the early stages, before war types and penalties appear. This seems realistic to me, as world domination by force in the modern age is, in reality, a bit of a stretch.
And I linked to the RPS article that discussed it. I knew you would enjoy these changes!
I deliberately wasn't keeping up with it because I wanted to avoid temptation and give myself reasons not to get it the first day.

You can see how successful I've been. :grund:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You and me both.

Enlarge Image

Emboughtened.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My resolve crumbled. Pre-ordered through Amazon.

At least there's a better chance of getting my money's worth with my son likely to play some too.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Bears were thoughtful enough to schedule their game for Thursday so I won't have football to interfere this weekend. I've already apologized to my wife for being useless to her this weekend and will make up for it with a long weekend out of town the following weekend.
Black Lives Matter
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Got my keys from greenmangaming.

And I am pre-loading. :D
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

All I need to do is make sure the changeover of all ~3000 accounts on our website to our new payment backend goes flawlessly and then I'm clear to take Friday off! What could possibly go wrong?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Sepiche wrote:All I need to do is make sure the changeover of all ~3000 accounts on our website to our new payment backend goes flawlessly and then I'm clear to take Friday off! What could possibly go wrong?
barbarian scout finds your starting city.....
Bayraktar!!!!

Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

I am also pre-loading with my code from GreenManGaming. Excited! Does anyone know if I can upgrade to the digital deluxe edition before launch?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Malacheye wrote:I am also pre-loading with my code from GreenManGaming. Excited! Does anyone know if I can upgrade to the digital deluxe edition before launch?
Doesn't seem like it. No option on Steam to upgrade it. If you email/call them and find out an answer please post here. Wish I would have got the deluxe version now.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I went over to GamersGate first thing to see if they were still out of keys. Not only is the "Out of keys" notice down, but ordering Civ now gets you a 3,000 blue coins reward, effectively making the price $42. Top that!
Jag

Post by Jag »

tgb wrote:I went over to GamersGate first thing to see if they were still out of keys. Not only is the "Out of keys" notice down, but ordering Civ now gets you a 3,000 blue coins reward, effectively making the price $42. Top that!
But you still have to pay full price right? You just get the coins as credit.

I see that GMG has it for $47.99 once you put it in your cart.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jag wrote:
tgb wrote:I went over to GamersGate first thing to see if they were still out of keys. Not only is the "Out of keys" notice down, but ordering Civ now gets you a 3,000 blue coins reward, effectively making the price $42. Top that!
No. If you use coins for your purchase it's 41,993 coins. 1,000=$1, so that's about $42. The catch is if you start with no coins, they are sold in batches of 5,000 and up, so you'll end up having to purchase 45,000, or $45 worth (still a good price). The "reward" of 3,000 coins amounts to a $3 rebate, bringing the price back down to $42.

[edit]Did I misunderstand your question? I assume that when you say "full price" you're talking about the MSRP of $60
tgb

Post by tgb »

Preloaded and ready to go. There must have been a hitch at GG, because instead of 3,000 blue coins I was rewarded with 5,000 - making the cost to me $40.

:horse:
Jag

Post by Jag »

tgb wrote:
Jag wrote:
No. If you use coins for your purchase it's 41,993 coins. 1,000=$1, so that's about $42. The catch is if you start with no coins, they are sold in batches of 5,000 and up, so you'll end up having to purchase 45,000, or $45 worth (still a good price). The "reward" of 3,000 coins amounts to a $3 rebate, bringing the price back down to $42.

[edit]Did I misunderstand your question? I assume that when you say "full price" you're talking about the MSRP of $60
Ok, I didn't realize you buy the coins first and pay the coin price rather than the dollar price.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, thanks to some devious horsetrading with persself I unexpectedly acquired and pre-loaded this game today.

Also added the Aztec civ DLC, but apparently that can't be preinstalled, or maybe it was already included in the pre-load...I'm not clear on how that works.
persself

Post by persself »

Kraken wrote:Well, thanks to some devious horsetrading with persself I unexpectedly acquired and pre-loaded this game today.

Also added the Aztec civ DLC, but apparently that can't be preinstalled, or maybe it was already included in the pre-load...I'm not clear on how that works.
Couldn't have you waiting til Christmas to play with the rest of us. Admit it, you're glad it's pre-loaded and ready to play come Friday...or whenever you have the time to play. Something tells me you will somehow "make" the time. :dance:

And thank you for my football game!
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

persself wrote:
Kraken wrote:Well, thanks to some devious horsetrading with persself I unexpectedly acquired and pre-loaded this game today.

Couldn't have you waiting til Christmas to play with the rest of us. Admit it, you're glad it's pre-loaded and ready to play come Friday...or whenever you have the time to play. Something tells me you will somehow "make" the time. :dance:

And thank you for my football game!
Yes, I look forward to finding the time. Here's hoping for a nice clean 1.0.
tgb

Post by tgb »

According to Steam it unlocks at the stroke of Midnight, EST - or 9PM here. I may stay up an extra hour, or go to sleep my normal time and dive in when we get up at 4 on Friday
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Jag wrote:
I see that GMG has it for $47.99 once you put it in your cart.
Good tip! Secret discount that makes it the same prize as Amazon but without the Prime/physical copy requirement.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

And you get the same discount on the deluxe version at gmg, something Amazon isn't offering.
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I thought about cancelling my Amazon Prime pre-order with that hidden GMG deal, but not having the game available to me until the physical copy arrives late in the day would be good for my work-at-home Friday productivity.

I'm OK with CIV likely being the last physical copy of a game I ever get.
-something witty-
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I just switched from Amazon to GMG. Couldn't resist the allure of having unlock earlier at... what time exactly will it unlock?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

wonderpug wrote:I just switched from Amazon to GMG. Couldn't resist the allure of having unlock earlier at... what time exactly will it unlock?
12 AM est Friday
9 PM PST Thursday
Bayraktar!!!!

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My plot for this weekend is unraveling. We have a new contractor working in my office who stated that he would be interested in Filipinas, so my wife went into match-maker mode and setup a Skype interview with a cousin on Friday as soon as I get back from my trip, so Friday night is out. Non-gaming weather will almost certainly interfere with Sunday, although I am still hopeful for some time on Saturday.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

I ended getting it at GamersGate for $45 with 5000 coins remaining to spend on something else (so like $5).
Enough

Post by Enough »

infinitelurker wrote:I thought about cancelling my Amazon Prime pre-order with that hidden GMG deal, but not having the game available to me until the physical copy arrives late in the day would be good for my work-at-home Friday productivity.

I'm OK with CIV likely being the last physical copy of a game I ever get.
Yep, me too. I am just really enjoying basking in the pre-release hype again for a change. And in some ways I am glad I'm getting the physical copy for the cathartic experience of laying of the hands on my shiny new game. Too bad we know it won't pass the lift test (no awesome long manual to enjoy). :wink:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I have a friend in California who's into opera singing and such. Earlier this year she got to be a part of the chorus singing the theme song for Civ VI, Sogno di Volare. She even got to go into Skywalker Ranch to do the recording, which sounded like an amazing NDA-filled adventure.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Saw this posted on Qt3:

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Playing Civ6

Might be spoiler-y for those who want to discover everything on their own.