[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by LordMortis »

^^^^^

This! Only I am compelled to suffer through playing until the end (when I am winning). I concede when all hope is lost, which has happened only once on the second to highest level (diety?) I tend to pick a level that I think will push the kind of game I am playing and finding that level is difficult. I find the so far Emperor is the most interesting but still seems always winnable. I don't know if I will hit a point where I'll feel comfortable playing regularly at the level above. I'm actually thinking I'll scale it back to king as I experiment with starting at later ages, assuming I keep playing.

Edit:

^^^^^^ doesn't mean much when you start the next page.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think I need to kick my next game up to emperor. My Germans have one army of infantry and one of artillery against a map filled with catapults and crossbows. My warmonger score is at 250 so it looks like I'm just going to snap up capitals unless I get bored with that first and grab a quick religion win instead.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So two things that are annoying me, and I don't think there are currently any solutions.

No numberpad unit movement, correct?

And barbarians. The last couple games I've tried to start, they've been overwhelming. No mods to tone them down, right?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can't answer those questions, so I'll add one of my own: Sometimes I crank out units that have a flashing red exclamation point over them. What does that mean? When it appears over a barb unit I think it means that that unit knows where your city is.

My biggest peeve of the moment is the absence of Sentry mode. Really can't understand why they'd remove something so basic and useful.

I ended up getting bored with my last endgame and going for the religious win. Time to start my first Emperor game now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm currently moved from End game being monotonous to being relaxing. I slowly plod toward my assumed religious victory 10 or 20 turns at a time and I'm OK with that. When I don't feel like plodding I get up and do something else.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Emperor is certainly harder, or maybe it was my starting position. Playing as Gandhi, I started on a large continent with several city states and only one AI opponent (Russia) right next door. Gandhi's strength is supposed to be religion, so I figured I'd go for that easy victory right from the start instead of falling into it by default as I usually do.

Barbarians took all my attention while Russia kept asking to be my friend. I agreed to be BFFs. When that expired they launched a halfhearted surprise war that I quickly repulsed, then I countered with one of my own while there was still no warmonger penalty. Turned out that while I was struggling to keep barbs from overrunning my capital, Russia had already founded a religion and built four cities right on top of each other, two of them with districts. My capital had just started working on its first district. They were so far ahead of me that I had no choice but to take them out and gain an instant empire. Five cities without ever building a settler, baby!

So now I've got this huge continent all to myself (and the barbs, of course). Guess I need to prioritize expansion and contacting the overseas AIs. This game is not playing out the way I thought it would -- religious expansion isn't going to be Job One -- and it will be interesting to see if I can possibly keep up with the AI's Emperor-level advantages while I develop in isolation.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I tried 3 times to get a religion established as Gandhi on Emperor level with various-sized maps. I was not able to found a religion in any of those games; and by the time the last jesus is taken, I was too far behind everywhere else to compete. A few of the games I played to mid-game, mid being around Enlightenment era, only to discover some of my opponents were settling into the Atomic age. Restart.

I reverted to King just to get done with Gandhi for now. I appeared to be leading in the race for a jesus, when suddenly they were gone, and I had none. So now I'm going all out for science, every one of my cities has (or will have) a Science district. I'm currently leading in the science category, although America is in the same era.

A few days ago, I completed a Chucky de Gaulle ass-kicking victory as Freddy Barby. France was my ally almost to the end. Victory was delayed a turn because the open borders agreement expired. Previously, my army surrounding Paris was "just passing through." As if the French never heard that one before.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lost my first game, on Emperor, this morning. Game went straight to the Fallout-themed cinematic movie and told me where I ranked. Nice, I thought, as I scoured the charts and end-game info. Then I clicked [One More Turn] so I could open the victory status screen and find out HOW I lost (Greek tourism victory, FWIW).

This thing is back on the shelf for the next patch. Again.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My Indians are slowly spreading across our big empty continent, filling up the marginal lands where the barbs spawn. We have a pretty healthy civ that's generating tons of faith points, and just sent our first team of apostles and missionaries to the AI continent (which is trisected by a mountain range and hard to traverse).

Looks like the AI gets some crazy advantages on Emperor. I'm way, WAY behind in science, so the religion victory is going to be the only way to go.

Is there a way to forcibly end one's turn while a unit still has moves? One of my apostles who was on a long march got stuck (illegally) sharing a hex with an AI military unit. I couldn't move it and couldn't skip it. Finally had to delete it to avoid rolling back my game. Pissed me off because it hadn't used any of its conversion charges yet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Why is losing without paying attention a problem? I admit feedback would nice, but I guess I watch victory conditions anyway.

I've had the same problem with having to delete stuck units as well. No es buena.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote:Why is losing without paying attention a problem? I admit feedback would nice, but I guess I watch victory conditions anyway.
Mostly I'm just sick of all the broken UI garbage/decisions in the game. The lack of ability to put a unit on sentry is the worst offender (followed closely by the sometimes-lack-of-skip-turn button, forcing a fortify when you only want to skip one turn). Having a "you lose" movie play that doesn't tell you who won or how is not nearly as egregious, but still exemplifies the laziness in production of this should-be AAA title. I'm in no rational mood to enjoy playing the product as it currently stands.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Why is losing without paying attention a problem? I admit feedback would nice, but I guess I watch victory conditions anyway.
Mostly I'm just sick of all the broken UI garbage/decisions in the game. The lack of ability to put a unit on sentry is the worst offender (followed closely by the sometimes-lack-of-skip-turn button, forcing a fortify when you only want to skip one turn). Having a "you lose" movie play that doesn't tell you who won or how is not nearly as egregious, but still exemplifies the laziness in production of this should-be AAA title. I'm in no rational mood to enjoy playing the product as it currently stands.
I get the aggregate problem with the UI being a shelf problem. I feel as though I paid $60 for a beta but it's a beta I'm still enjoying.

I don't mind the lack of sentry. I consider over-watch a design decision but not then not warning about troops on my borders and allowing me to click through them like you do with barbarians is not good.

I missed the rationale of the "who won and why" UI problem and lept straight to "lost without warning" as people have so far marveled at winning or losing without warning.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Winter Patch:
Added Earth map (Standard size)
Added “Alert” action for units
Put a unit to sleep until they spot an enemy unit
Scenario setup menu
Jump into Scenarios more easily within the Single Player menu. This only shows up when a single player scenario is available and enabled (as can be found in both of the new DLCs!)
Added new replay option to Wonder completion movies

[GAMEPLAY UPDATES]

Religious units may now Fortify Until Healed
Coastal Raids can now pillage districts in addition to the buildings within
Great Admirals are no longer allowed to spawn on wonders in water tiles (ex. Huey, Great Lighthouse) so they cannot become stranded in lakes

[BALANCE CHANGES]

Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)
Cities can no longer receive amenities from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. amenities from multiple Stadiums)
Decreased production costs of Wonders progressively
From the Industrial era (about -10%) to the Atomic era (about -40%).
Decreased production costs of all Space Race Projects by 40%.
Increased research costs of Technologies and Civics progressively
From the Industrial era (about +5%) to the Information era (about +20%).
Increased Faith from Mission
Increased Culture from Chateau
Lowered the minimum unit upgrade cost
Improved clarity on Warmongering penalties associated with taking a civ’s final city
Most Civilization unique districts now require population to construct (like normal districts)
Spaceport district no longer requires population to construct

[AI TUNING]

Improved AI Deal negotiations and analysis
Improved AI handling of Promises; including that they are more likely to agree if they like you, and also will consider how trustworthy a civ is by whether they’ve kept previous promises
Improved tactical handling of Great Admirals and Great Generals
Improved AI interest in Terracotta Army
Improved handling of leaf techs
Improved building of Forts
Improved resource grabbing in late game
Improved Last Viking King agenda’s analysis for who is in bottom percentage of navies
Improved handling of several complaint or kudo messages from AI
Rebalanced Catherine’s evaluation of the ‘no spying’ Promise
AI will not try to convert unconvertible cities

[BUG FIXES]

Fixed several unique buildings that weren’t getting their yields increased by various game effects (ex. Policies)
Fixed an issue that allowed the Goddess of the Harvest pantheon bonus to stack
Fixed it so loading screens now show the correct text and play matching VO
Fixed an issue that blocked certain relationship-based diplomatic actions
Fixed an issue where incomplete Encampment districts were able to attack
Fixed an issue where you could declare war on friends or allies by moving units
Fixed an issue where AI could declare war on a civ with whom they were already at war
Fixed an issue that caused a Multiplayer lobby to require joining players to have Additional Content that wasn’t actually needed
Fixed a bug that caused Apostles to run out of promotions
Fixed a bug where gaining policy slots mid-turn could block progression
Fixed issues caused by trading lots of Great Works at the same time
Fixed an issue where turn timers weren’t loading correctly from a save
Fixed an issue where Rome’s roads would connect to too many adjacent roads
Fixed issue where civs could get another civ’s exclusive agenda
Fixed multiple links to the Civilopedia
Fixed issue that could cause menu music to play twice and overlap itself
Fixed an issue that could cause private MP games to become public
Fixed multiple text & grammatical issues
Fixed multiple crashes

[VISUALS]

Added new art for National Parks
Updated Mines for several eras
Updated Swordsman
Improved city fading during combat

[MULTIPLAYER]

Hallowed Ground scenario is no playable on huge maps
VO now plays correctly when loading a save

[UI]

Resource Report now correctly shows resources from several sources:
Great People abilities
Diplomatic Deals
Checkboxes for toggle yields and grid now stay in sync with hotkeys
Improved differentiation in Government Lens hex colors
Added Defeat icon to the End Game Results screen

[AUDIO]

Added sound effect for Quick Save hotkey
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm still not seeing much about diplomacy. And to top it off, have you guys seen this?

I hate the fact that they're selling DLC when some of the fundamental problems with the game haven't even been addressed. I also hate that they're charging 5 Quatloos for a single faction and a scenario nobody will ever play.

OTOH, whenever I have the opportunity, whether a Paradox game or a Slitherine game, to play Poland, that's always my first choice because mishbrucheh! So this is mighty tempting.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)
Cities can no longer receive amenities from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. amenities from multiple Stadiums
The hell?
Fixed a bug that caused Apostles to run out of promotions
yay!

[UI]
Disappointing.

tgb wrote:I hate the fact that they're selling DLC when some of the fundamental problems with the game haven't even been addressed. I also hate that they're charging 5 Quatloos for a single faction and a scenario nobody will ever play.
I had a similar bitch when I first read it.

Edit and another $5 for more city states and natural wonders

http://store.steampowered.com/app/512032/

I can wait, at least until the game feels complete.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, I'll wait until the DLCs are bundled or folded into an expansion. Not going to pay singly for incremental additions.

Glad to see the Sleep ability restored and the prophet promotion bug fixed. Also, space race victory might be realistic now with the reduced costs.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'll pay; before I'm done with it, the cost-per-hour will be under $0.01. Even a little enhancement is worth adding now and not waiting until some future price drop. I'm playing the game now, I want it all!

I failed again trying to win as Gandhi. On a tiny map, if you fail to recruit a Jesus, I suppose you best go to war with whoever does. I was focused on getting a tech victory, but the world went with stupid instead.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:I'll pay; before I'm done with it, the cost-per-hour will be under $0.01. Even a little enhancement is worth adding now and not waiting until some future price drop. I'm playing the game now, I want it all!

I failed again trying to win as Gandhi. On a tiny map, if you fail to recruit a Jesus, I suppose you best go to war with whoever does. I was focused on getting a tech victory, but the world went with stupid instead.

I generally feel that way but I also feel like the state of the game is too incomplete. As long as it doesn't feel finished I don't feel obsessed with playing the final product.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jeff V wrote:I'll pay; before I'm done with it, the cost-per-hour will be under $0.01. Even a little enhancement is worth adding now and not waiting until some future price drop. I'm playing the game now, I want it all!
+1
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The DLC was almost certainly developed long before the game released; it's not like they stopped everything, coded the DLC, and then are going to fixing the game. This is not a one man show that's running this game.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: I generally feel that way but I also feel like the state of the game is too incomplete. As long as it doesn't feel finished I don't feel obsessed with playing the final product.
I'm not likely to go backwards to Civ 5, so the only other thing I'm inclined to play is Gal Civ 3, I'll probably check out the new patch soon.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

So playing as the Poles with the new patch, I've also installed the improved city panel mod (Divine Yuri's City Panel). All of a sudden I noticed that the top row of purchase buttons in the city panel (the ones that let you buy units for gold, faith, etc.) are grayed out. I've never seen this before and I could swear I used them not too long ago.

Anyone have any idea what's happening?

Also, does it seem to anyone else that King difficulty has gotten a lot harder? I had to drop back down to Prince because in my first 2 or 3 attempts, barbs were swarming all over the place.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm always swamped by barbarians in every game. My first three purchases are always slingers in a desperate attempt to get archers quickly to ward the barbarians off.

I can't speak to greyed out purchase buttons. I haven't played with the update or any mods.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I started the update process before leaving for work this morning. I wonder if it will wreak havoc on my current game...I finally got me a jesus with Gandhi and the Snake Oil Salesmen are back in business. Teddy R has stupidly declared war on me twice, and twice he's subsequently paid for peace. I am in the process of surrounding one of his two cities just in case he gets the urge to do so again.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:I started the update process before leaving for work this morning. I wonder if it will wreak havoc on my current game...I finally got me a jesus with Gandhi and the Snake Oil Salesmen are back in business. Teddy R has stupidly declared war on me twice, and twice he's subsequently paid for peace. I am in the process of surrounding one of his two cities just in case he gets the urge to do so again.

I find (pre patch, anyway) that if you do not wipe a civ but rather take even one tiny city that the other civ will spend eternity declaring war you and they will drag whatever friends (not even allies) they can make into future wars against you. I find it better to go total war (or white peace) in every war and take the warmonger hit than it is take a bite out of empire to teach it a lesson.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Typically I do ethnic cleansing when a country becomes tiresome. I rarely keep more units on a particular front than is needed to assault one city at a time, however. If he misbehaves again, the closes city should fall immediately, his capital shortly thereafter.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I would expect mods to break on a new patch.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Started up my game post patch, some 900 turns in, and people are declaring war on me left and right and improvements are missing. *harumph*
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Improvements are missing? Explain please.

I resumed my current game and so far haven't noticed anything amiss. It's a tiny map, 2 players are declared friends, and America has my vastly superior army poised to punch it in the nuts should it stupidly declare another war.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hasn't affected my current game either as far as I can tell. I'm about halfway to religion victory now and haven't had a battle since the ancient era. None of the AIs have so much as visited my continent, which I continue to slowly develop while sending waves of proselytizers to their continent. Having a continent all to one's self is kinda boring, actually. The AI hasn't even challenged my suzereinty over my city states.

About the only patch thing I've noticed is that I can quit directly to the desktop without crashing/locking up my machine now. Haven't reached the modern era yet so I can't verify that the prophet promotion bug is fixed. Probably going to win this game in the industrial era.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Two of the 4 countries are under the sway of my snake oil salesmen. The other two got their own Jesuses too and are running around trying to spout some other kind of nonsense. I created some attack salesmen (armed with real, live snakes!) but one of them got overwhelmed and BAM! He turned into a stone scone. The other religion must have had a medusa or something.

I'm going to push for a rapid victory just because I'm getting tired of Gandhi and want to move on to the next civ on the list.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:I'm going to push for a rapid victory just because I'm getting tired of Gandhi and want to move on to the next civ on the list.
I play the marathon games. There is no pushing, even if I am interested in seeing how the patch changes things from the beginning.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I haven't tried marathon on Civ 6 yet. It's probably more tenable than it was in earlier games when goody huts and barby camps played a huge role in early game finance. Marathon upset the balance since the same amount of money had to last a lot more turns, up until banking was researched. I'd always run into a financial crisis around the middle ages.

Epic is my usual speed, but the end game was taking way too long. The space victory involves burning through way too many turns and religious and military victory for now seem comfortable at normal speed. After I get through all of the civs, I might explore the longer games again.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jeff V wrote:Epic is my usual speed, but the end game was taking way too long. The space victory involves burning through way too many turns and religious and military victory for now seem comfortable at normal speed. After I get through all of the civs, I might explore the longer games again.
Yeah, this is the first Civ in a while where standard actually feels about right to me. Maybe it's just I have less time for gaming, but the first epic game I played really dragged toward the end.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't like the only standard speed game I played. Seemed like I was getting a tech or policy every 2-3 turns. The pace of progress actually got annoying.

My main gripe with marathon is just that the calendar and the game can get way out of sync, so that I burn through the whole tech tree by 1900. That just annoys me a little. Otherwise I like the slow pace.

So far I haven't had any serious problems with money or happiness at any difficulty level (aside from the time spies stole my treasury). The game seems very forgiving in that regard. When a city does get into trouble it's generally easy to fix.

My Gandhi game is getting boring, too, and I will be glad to finish with him. 2-3 more missionary waves ought to do it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Money is handled much better than in previous versions. In all my games so far, I just had one minor financial crises when I didn't notice my income fell slightly below zero and I spent my treasury on shiny new high tech military bling. It took a few turns to procure another trade route that solved the issue. :) :)

I'm back to doing a game on Epic pace. While I would appear to have a large empire (Large map), I seem to be way down across the leader board. 5th place in Tech is especially disconcerting; if I can't elevate that soon, this game is going to be an abortion.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Norway is done. Long ass game. On to Catherine starting in the medieval ages. I really should shut the religious victory off. I'm afriad not to pursue it, as it would suck to lose to a religious game when you had no prophet in contention. The science victory got way easier, to the point where I almost had it as converted my last Civ. The game was really hanging between units and turns in the 1980s on a huge island platlettes map. I can only imagine if there was less water.

Did someone post the shut down lock up was fixed because my machine still frequently locks trying to quit the game. Well, twice in two attempts since the patch anyway.

I may need to experiment with decreasing opponents instead of increasing them. I'm hating getting hemmed in so early with war being the only avenue of expansion every single game.

Not sure if I will make it through ever Civ or not before putting it away for a bit. Steam says I have 10 more to go, without owning Aztec or Poland.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:
Did someone post the shut down lock up was fixed because my machine still frequently locks trying to quit the game. Well, twice in two attempts since the patch anyway.
I have quit directly to the desktop three times without crashing. Kinda sad that that counts as progress, but here we are. On the plus side, the apostle promotion bug really is fixed.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

LordMortis wrote:
I may need to experiment with decreasing opponents instead of increasing them. I'm hating getting hemmed in so early with war being the only avenue of expansion every single game.
My preferred style of play has been a vast continent with few to none other civs so i can expand and not deal with other civs and there shenanigans. TO that end I've always played with 4-6 Civs including my own, the largest map size, and low water. i simply enjoy expanding a civ to cover a continent and not have to deal with other civs.

I've also modded my game to move other civs starting position a good way away from me. Here's the instructions on how to do that; its from herehttps://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5 ... nswers_to/:
Can we do something about the AI's starting positions being close to ours?
This solution is by /u/malvekiar.
First in \Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility Open AssignStartingPlots.lua. Find the line with local iMaxStart = GlobalParameters.STARTDISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION or 9. It should be in the function AssignStartingPlots:_MajorCivBuffer(plot). Edit the number at the end to the number of tiles you want minimally between starting plots (I have used 20).
The variable GlobalParameters.START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION can be found in \Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's CivilizationVI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data/GlobalParameters.xml. I edited that as value as well, setting it to 20 (original was 9 same as the script). (source with more context)
/u/malvekiar commented again here with some new findings, as well as options to do the same with city states, including changing the total number of them on the map.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I saw that earlier in the thread. I am/was tempted sometimes. I hate to hand play with files when updates change the games so much. I fear mods for much the same reason. Irrational, I know.