[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by Kraken »

I just dropped in to post about the Australian update, but I see stessier beat me to it. The big news appears to be Steam Workshop support. This game could really use some mods so I hope that'll be coming our way soon.

I still haven't come back to it since I shelved it a month ago.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Kraken wrote:I still haven't come back to it since I shelved it a month ago.
I gave it the college try, but this one just doesn't have the 'one more turn' appeal for me. Hopefully some well-designed mods will give me a reason to try it again.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I played Poland last night. Was hemmed in with THREE other civs next door - Kongo, Sumeria, and Japan. I rushed to found a religion (as Poland's power relies on it) and Kongo got angry because I did not send missionaries the very next turn. Japan declared friendship with me, but the moment the friendship declaration was over - both Kongo and Japan declared war. I see that the diplomacy AI is no more rational than it was last time I played - to go from friendship to war in moments and for no reason.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I have to admit, the CQUI goes a long way towards bringing back enjoyment to me. The (non-UI) complaints are still real, but that stuff should be worked out before it's all said and done. UI fixes don't tend to make their way into final Civ games (IMO), so I'm encouraged that someone picked up that torch.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I agree that currently 6 is not as good as 5, but I really enjoy playing 6. It's getting better. I'm pleased with the updates and new civs being added. The new civs play very differently, not just small changes from existing civs. Australia is really good on islands or big water maps. Their pasture culture bombs is a powerful early game feature that gives you greater city borders. I'm still in my first game with Australia and I'm finding a huge advantage with growing their cities tall on the coast.

The updates are in the right direction with fixing bugs, tweaking things such as the AI and tech tree, and adding new features that make the game more fun... in my opinion, of course. Nice addition to the barbs with rampage and the feature of true location.. if you want to play on the real world map and have your civ located on their real map location.

I think the first third of the game is excellent. My hope is they concentrate on the rest of the game with the next updates and expansions. That's my number one request.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

I'm enjoying the game more following the DLC and update.

Seems to me they have addressed issues from a very different angle than the critics would have suggested, but that it seems to be working. The biggest example is that AI civs are much more aggressive towards city states, which makes city states a much less efficient way to get a let up on AI opponents. Meanwhile, one of Australia's advantages is that they gain a very significant bonus from liberating conquered city states. I like it.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: There is now a demo of Sid Meier's Civilization® VI on the Steam page
Players who download the Sid Meier’s Civilization VI demo will be able to play as China, led by Qin Shi Huang and take their first steps building a new civilization for up to 60 turns in to the game. For those completely new to the Civilization series the demo also includes the tutorial from the full game to introduce and guide beginners to the world of Civilization.
Announcement

there is also a STAR deal on Bundle Stars for the digital deluxe version @ 38% off = $49.99 ... ONLY 14 hours left as of this writing and LIMITED keys

:ninja: Region-locked game -This Product will NOT activate in the following regions:
Spoiler:
Brazil; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Georgia; Kazakhstan; Kyrgyzstan; Moldova, Republic of; Tajikistan; Turkmenistan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Albania; Andorra; Angola; Austria; Bahrain; Belgium; Benin; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Botswana; Bulgaria; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cameroon; Cape Verde; Central African Republic; Chad; Comoros; Congo; Congo, the Democratic Republic of the; Côte d'Ivoire; Croatia; Cyprus; Czech Republic; Denmark; Djibouti; Egypt; Equatorial Guinea; Eritrea; Estonia; Ethiopia; Finland; France; Gabon; Gambia; Germany; Ghana; Greece; Guernsey; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Hungary; Iceland; Iraq; Ireland; Isle of Man; Israel; Italy; Jersey; Jordan; Kenya; Kuwait; Latvia; Lebanon; Lesotho; Liberia; Libya; Liechtenstein; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Macedonia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Malta; Mauritius; Mayotte; Monaco; Montenegro; Morocco; Mozambique; Namibia; Niger; Nigeria; Norway; Oman; Palestine, State of; Poland; Portugal; Qatar; Romania; Russian Federation; Rwanda; Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha; San Marino; Sao Tome and Principe; Saudi Arabia; Senegal; Serbia; Seychelles; Sierra Leone; Slovakia; Slovenia; Somalia; South Africa; Spain; Sudan; Swaziland; Sweden; Switzerland; Syrian Arab Republic; Tanzania, United Republic of; Togo; Tunisia; Turkey; Uganda; Ukraine; United Arab Emirates; United Kingdom; Western Sahara; Yemen; Zambia; Zimbabwe; Myanmar; Cuba; Iran, Islamic Republic of; Korea, Democratic People's Republic of; Korea, Republic of.
prettymuch everywhere not called north america
Ain't nobody got time for that
Jag

Post by Jag »

I really did not like the interface of VI until I downloaded CQUI. It's a much more intuitive layout of the UI that presents better information and reduces the clicks between screen. It's the only mod I use and it is totally essential for me now.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Got sidetracked playing other things for a couple weeks, but when I came back, I had two of my most enjoyable games yet, playing as Australia. I'm not going to claim that suddenly the AI can wage war effectively, but it seems to be doing more interesting things and making some good decisions.

And Australia is definitely my favorite Civ to play. Outbacks are fun, especially since they do not kick in til nearly mid-game, so you face a bit of a challenge waiting around for you main advantage to kick in. The other big thing, though, is getting double production whenever anyone declares war on you. It really changes the feel of the game. And of course, any game is going to be better with "Waltzing Matilda" in the background. Very nice rendition early in the game, very Australia. No one would be mistaking it for a happy song about dancing with a girl.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbemont wrote:Got sidetracked playing other things for a couple weeks, but when I came back, I had two of my most enjoyable games yet, playing as Australia. I'm not going to claim that suddenly the AI can wage war effectively, but it seems to be doing more interesting things and making some good decisions.
I came back after a long hiatus and played as Japan (don't have Australia). On King level, the AI still isn't very good about upgrading its units, and it still does stupid things like park artillery units within range of my cities and not fire them.

This game was getting a little long in the tooth and everybody was near the end of the tech tree by turn 800 or so, which I think is around the 1850s. Nobody was going for a space victory so I got that underway, but I really didn't want to wait that long to win so decided to go for the easy religious victory just to get it over with. Imagine my surprise at finding the AI actually defending against religious takeovers. Took me way longer than I expected to build enough prophets to overwhelm their cities and their masses of inquisitors...and then they declared war and wiped out my conversion squad before it was halfway done. Now prophets are so expensive that it looks like the religious victory is out of reach. That's a first.

Good thing I had that space program going. I'm around turn 1250/1500 and still a good 50-60 turns from going to Mars, meaning this game is dragging on WAY past the end of the tech and civics trees, and all the great people were gone long ago. The AI could've beaten me in the space race easily but none of them made the effort.

So I concur that the AI has gotten at least a little better strategically, but it still seems pretty dumb tactically; war was more of an inconvenience than a threat even when I was behind in tech. Don't know yet if I'll play another game after I finally grind this one to the end. I was hoping to find the game much improved, but it's only sort of improved a little maybe.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Kraken wrote:So I concur that the AI has gotten at least a little better strategically, but it still seems pretty dumb tactically; war was more of an inconvenience than a threat even when I was behind in tech. Don't know yet if I'll play another game after I finally grind this one to the end. I was hoping to find the game much improved, but it's only sort of improved a little maybe.
I agree. I have been playing a lot and find that the AI civs consistently put up real resistance, but that actual tactical combat is the least of it. Although I've had a couple occasions where I got cocky and figured a declaration of war against me was meaningless and had to scramble to avoid all out disaster.

They claim territory better, they are more sensible in choosing city states to attack, they change plans when one is blocked, etc.

I also think they have repaired the real weak sisters, Norway and Britain, which now seem to play competently in AI hands.

Still, anyone who has their heart set on a challenging tactical wargame should look elsewhere. Not going to happen.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I tried kicking it up to Emperor a couple of times, but the AI's starting advantages are too egregious. They'd typically have three cities and a standing army by the time I could build my first settler. Starting out way behind is not the kind of challenge I want from a difficulty level bump.

Has there been any buzz about another patch? I haven't been following Civ at all anymore. I've been a fan ever since Civ 1, but they have finally managed to (almost) lose me.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Yeah, I believe that on Emperor, the AI civs start with two settlers, so they immediately have two cities. Pre-patch I was playing at that level, and it was not as tough as it sounds, because you could build 3-4 archers and, with the help of my starting warrior, go take a city away from a neighbor without all that much trouble. But it does change the tone of the game, and the city you take is often a tile or two from where you'd prefer.

Post-patch, I've been able to enjoy the game on King and so avoid that.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Kraken wrote:
Has there been any buzz about another patch? I haven't been following Civ at all anymore. I've been a fan ever since Civ 1, but they have finally managed to (almost) lose me.
Civ 6 has been a huge dissapointment for me, and I've yet to really go back to civ 5, though I plan on it. Just so many tings wrong with the game. Some of my biggest gripes are:

1. the world is really quite small and there is no sense in wide expanse territories to settle. And if you mod the game to make the world bigger, it really slows the game down. Believe it or not. I like having scouts go out and really explore lands. It sucks when you stumble on another civ in turn 10 (yeah i've even modded the starting distance to other civs).

2. The unit/district inflation. This really ticks me off. If you have about 12-14 cities, its gets ridiculously expensive and resource consuming to build new districts. Like wow it takes my capital that has 40+ hammers 25 turns to build a theater district. I dont think I am sold on the district idea. It seems too much of a throttle to building interesting things in your civ. Tone it down sure. Its gotten to the point, where my strategy is forced to do this: make a commercial district asap in the city you just founded; because you can then use the trader it gives you to help build up and move resources

3. I like to play large and wide. One of my favorite ways to play civ 5. Was to take over a continent and pretty much put a city in every nook and cranny. I'd usually end up w/ close to 30-40 cities. I cant even come close to doing that with this game.

4. The ui is really messed up. Just they changed things that had no business to be changed f6 for science for example.

5. I really hate the fact they took out the workers. It "reduces" micromanagement. But to me that added some nice depth to the game...do i push this worker to make a road or farm x resource.

I will say I really like the great prophets. But that's about it right now. I really think they should gut civ 6 and go straight to civ 7. Because this game really needs some massive fixing. i still fire it up and generally play till i get to right about the modern era than I quit. I dont think I've ever won a game in the last 10-20 attempts. I almost always get to a point and abandon the game. I dont think they have lost me as a customer, since I have sunk so many hours into the civ franchise, but i am definitely on the lookout for a solid 4X game to tickle my fancy for the next few years. What were they thinking when they designed this? I hope they bring in some heavy hitters and seriously change the game around.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Oh as an aside, for shits and giggles, check out the stats part of the steam system...ya know where it shows how many people are active in x game. I've been glancing at that over the last month or so, and consistently civ 5 has about 10K more users than civ 6. Usually its like 30K to 20K. But i find it interesting that so many people are still playing civ 5. Ya got to figure that the folks over at firaxis see that and are concerned by it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Newcastle wrote:Oh as an aside, for shits and giggles, check out the stats part of the steam system...ya know where it shows how many people are active in x game. I've been glancing at that over the last month or so, and consistently civ 5 has about 10K more users than civ 6. Usually its like 30K to 20K. But i find it interesting that so many people are still playing civ 5. Ya got to figure that the folks over at firaxis see that and are concerned by it.
The same thing happened when 5 came out. 4 with expansions was just a better game than 5 without expansions, but over time and with some major improvements 5 eventually eclipsed 4.

I expect the same thing will happen with 6 given time.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I left IV and never looked back. Always hated the stacks of doom.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote:I left IV and never looked back. Always hated the stacks of doom.
Yeah, the removal of the stacks of doom was pretty big for me as well, but I really missed the lack of religion and other features that eventually came to 5.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sepiche wrote:
Newcastle wrote:Oh as an aside, for shits and giggles, check out the stats part of the steam system...ya know where it shows how many people are active in x game. I've been glancing at that over the last month or so, and consistently civ 5 has about 10K more users than civ 6. Usually its like 30K to 20K. But i find it interesting that so many people are still playing civ 5. Ya got to figure that the folks over at firaxis see that and are concerned by it.
The same thing happened when 5 came out. 4 with expansions was just a better game than 5 without expansions, but over time and with some major improvements 5 eventually eclipsed 4.

I expect the same thing will happen with 6 given time.
Agreed. It's a good creative design, but it's very poorly implemented, and Firaxis is more interested in milking it for DLC than in fixing it. I expect them to really bring it up to minimum standards for the inevitable first expansion. I expect it to be great when they finally do the second expansion.

I got to within 15 turns of winning a space race victory in my endless game. I only kept slogging past turn 1300 because I've never won the space race and I wanted to see the victory animation. Then I accidentally won a religious victory, which I'd been working on as insurance.

Tonight I'll load an autosave and see if I can get that stupid Mars victory. Then I don't know if I'm going to play it anymore or not. This latest game dragged on way past the point of being any fun. Maybe it's finally time to buy GalCiv3.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Any word on the first expansion, "Civilization 6: Fool Me Once"?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Newcastle wrote:
Civ 6 has been a huge dissapointment for me, and I've yet to really go back to civ 5, though I plan on it. Just so many tings wrong with the game. Some of my biggest gripes are:

1. the world is really quite small and there is no sense in wide expanse territories to settle. And if you mod the game to make the world bigger, it really slows the game down. Believe it or not. I like having scouts go out and really explore lands. It sucks when you stumble on another civ in turn 10 (yeah i've even modded the starting distance to other civs).

2. The unit/district inflation. This really ticks me off. If you have about 12-14 cities, its gets ridiculously expensive and resource consuming to build new districts. Like wow it takes my capital that has 40+ hammers 25 turns to build a theater district. I dont think I am sold on the district idea. It seems too much of a throttle to building interesting things in your civ. Tone it down sure. Its gotten to the point, where my strategy is forced to do this: make a commercial district asap in the city you just founded; because you can then use the trader it gives you to help build up and move resources

3. I like to play large and wide. One of my favorite ways to play civ 5. Was to take over a continent and pretty much put a city in every nook and cranny. I'd usually end up w/ close to 30-40 cities. I cant even come close to doing that with this game.

4. The ui is really messed up. Just they changed things that had no business to be changed f6 for science for example.

5. I really hate the fact they took out the workers. It "reduces" micromanagement. But to me that added some nice depth to the game...do i push this worker to make a road or farm x resource.

I will say I really like the great prophets. But that's about it right now. I really think they should gut civ 6 and go straight to civ 7. Because this game really needs some massive fixing. i still fire it up and generally play till i get to right about the modern era than I quit. I dont think I've ever won a game in the last 10-20 attempts. I almost always get to a point and abandon the game. I dont think they have lost me as a customer, since I have sunk so many hours into the civ franchise, but i am definitely on the lookout for a solid 4X game to tickle my fancy for the next few years. What were they thinking when they designed this? I hope they bring in some heavy hitters and seriously change the game around.
Well, tastes vary. I have gripes with 6, to be sure, but for months now, it keeps calling me back from other promising games because on the whole I just like it the best of games that have come out the past year or two.

But your particulars:

#1 - the small world... I usually play on large pangea or continent maps. I've occasionally had bad luck in my starting point, but normally I can explore just fine, first with an explorer, then with a galley. And the rewards are significant, particularly for finding city-states, which generally matter more than goodie huts. And of course to find out which land is most important to contest... But yeah, you are more likely to find another civ (more likely civs) nearby. I guess this is a matter of taste, and my mood on it varies, but it seems to me that this actually enhances the need to explore. Which directions are going to be uncontested, because that way lies only city states? Which direction can I probably grab anything I need for resources and defense against a civ? Which direction will I need to use war (which, ideally, ought to be done soon, before war mongering penalties go up, and city walls make hostile takeovers more expensive). And, maybe most importantly, where are the large empty spaces? They almost always exist, and although they might not be on a different continent, odds are they are not adjacent, so it amounts to a colonization period cache of good rewards in terms of luxury resources.

#2 and 3 - Yeah, I cannot argue, I guess it's a matter of taste. In my mind, it is unrealistic to be able to run an efficient empire that covers enormous areas. But maybe that is just rationalization justifying my distaste for 20+ city micromanagement hell. If I get to that point, I'm going to be declaring victory and staring over.. But of course, everyone has their own preferences, and you may well be in the majority. I have been enjoying EDIT: Real Building Upgrades (wrong name before), though, which might actually address some of your concerns. It's more satisfying to specialize cities because you can upgrade, say, your theater district and its buildings many levels, rather than building most of the districts, and that cuts down on the number of each district you build and thus its inflation. (Gotta say, though, that I have never had a capital with 40+ hammers take anything like 25 turns to build a district. In my mind, if I have that many theater districts, the game is effectively over. I don't need a new district, I need to start a new game.)

#4 We agree. I despise the UI, and I cannot even begin to count the ways. I have been using the CQUI mod, and it helps.

#5 Workers: In my mind, this change was advertised all wrong. It doesn't eliminate micromanagement, but rather makes that micromanagement meaningful. In earlier versions, once you have a bunch of workers, you can just do everything. In 6, worker actions are a finite resource, so important choices have to be made. If you are playing at a competitive difficulty level, management of workers seems crucial.
Last edited by dbemont on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Are there any other good game-changing mods? I haven't subscribed to the UI one yet because there was some chatter about bugs in the comments.

I installed one called Moar Units and another one that supposedly adds new text strings for AI player diplomacy. Haven't noticed that either mod makes any visible difference. I noticed one that slows down tech tree progress and another one that slows down the civics tree; those are tempting, since the trees are always played out 2/3 of the way through the game, and the fun factor drops off when you can't progress any further. But I'd rather that they were stretched with additional content instead of just being slowed down.

I'm disappointed that nobody has modded in a scoreboard. You'd think that would be fairly easy since the game is already calculating a score and a ranking; how hard can it be to store and display them? But I guess it must not be moddable for some reason, since that's something virtually all players would want.

I did roll back to my last autosave so I could win a space race victory. Then I went back to XCOM2 Long War because starting another game of Civ just felt like a chore.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Kraken wrote:Are there any other good game-changing mods? I haven't subscribed to the UI one yet because there was some chatter about bugs in the comments.
In addition to CQUI, I play with:

1) "Real Building Upgrades" (I had the wrong name above, but my reasoning remains. It aids specialization and lessens the need to build the same districts in so many cities.)

2) "AI free settler on deity only" - I have been playing on King rather than Emperor lately, but this makes Emperor more plausible. I don't mind AI advantages, but to start surrounded by two city civs is discouraging.

3) "Resourceful" - More variety in all types of resources. And some of them push you in different directions, particularly those that require shipbuilding. The only problem is that his graphics don't fit all that fluidly with the rest of the game.

4) "Real Eurekas" -- Randomized eurekas. This guy aimed very high, and I love the idea and design. But I don't think he has it just right yet. But when he does, it is going to make replays of the game noticeably different.

5)"Better Coastal Cities and Water Tiles"

6)
"City-States Types Pack"
"Carribean City-States Pack"
"South American City-States Pack"

Together these add some great variety, both for you and for AI opponents.

7) A bunch of added civs:
The Kingdom of Prussia
Sukritact's Ramkhamhaeng - Siam (I enjoy playing as this one)
Leugi's Argentina
Kazoo's Simone Boccanegra of Genoa
Illyrian Empire
Firebug's Sweden (Seems like a good one to play against. In my opinion, great people are too easy to get against most AI civs, and Sweden along with Brazil prevent this route to victory from being too easy.)

Some others like United States of America - Eisenhower seem very overpowered, but might make good AI opponents to make the game more difficult.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

With the sale (though none on DLC) on Steam this week, I see two more DLC have been released and that likely means two more patches since last I played. One for Persia and one for Nubia.

Has the game improved for those still playing?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/ ... 3556011619

Some of the patch notes:
Spoiler:
[UI ENHANCEMENTS]

Combat Preview UI has received multiple improvements
The Civilopedia now shows the number of spies/envoys granted by a civic
Multi-turn unit movement paths shown when unit reselected
Add Relationships tab to city state Intel Reports which displays that city state's at war status with other civs and city states
A popup box is now used to modify deal item values
Added leader dialog for Gifts and Demands
Scenarios no longer display extraneous UI screens
Reports now displays great works, adjacency, and districts information
Trade Route chooser automatically selects previously completed trade route
Additional improvements to the Trade Route chooser
Added a turn blocker notification when city ranged attack is available
Tech and Civic Boosts now additionally appear in the notification panel above the turn advancer.
A Toggle Strategic View keybinding has been added

[DIPLOMACY ENHANCEMENTS]

Added tooltips explaining why you can or cannot declare each kind of war or undertake another diplomatic action.
“Are you sure you want to denounce?” confirmation added
Liberation changes:
- Liberating cities can now occur even if you got the city in a deal (peace deals are the most common case of this).
- A case where the Persian player didn't see "(cede)" or "(return)" besides cities on the peace deal screen has been fixed.
- When you liberate a city-state your military units are only kicked back from the first ring of hexes around the city; you aren't ejected from their territory entirely.

[AI TUNING]

Improved AI ability to move great works around to get theming
AI will now better handle air attacks
- Bombers will attack Districts, Improvements, and then Units in that preference
- Fighters will prefer to attack other air units
Improved desire to pillage cities
Improved city planning with regard to adjacency bonuses
During city attacks, concentrate unit attacks on more threatening units rather than spreading out
Fixed a bug that resulted in the AI overestimating the value of demand tribute
Adjust AI acceptance of embassies to be a bit more like what they already do for delegations
Specifically, they probably will reject it if they're unfriendly, will accept at neutral unless they have any other reason against it (close balance) and will generally accept it at friendly unless they have a strong reason against.
In evaluating deals, the AI will mark elements that are unacceptable at any price, and expose that to the player
Improve ability to utilize city-states, beyond just suzerainty
As a player approaches victory, AI will become less friendly and more aggressive

[MULTIPLAYER]

Improved stability after receiving a multiplayer join error
Fixed unnecessary host migration when exiting a LAN game
Fixed an occasional hang during wars in dynamic turn mode
Miscellaneous UI fixes and stability improvements

[BUG FIXES]

Fixed an issue where plot tooltips would show when we didn’t want them to
Fixed multiple issues with Air combat
City Banners were not reacting to population changed events
Barbarian camp art will now update as the game progresses into later eras
Fixed an issue where pillaged improvements lost their pantheon bonuses forever
District repair costs now computed properly based on both game speed and start era. Will always be 25% of the cost of creating a new district of that type.
Correct Alexander’s “To the World’s End” healing ability so it only triggers if the city has a COMPLETED wonder in it.
Wonders should always be repairable after they have been hit by a nuclear blast
Fixed issues with Reports screen totals not adding correctly
Additional bug fixes.
No time this weekend, but maybe next weekend, it will be time to get back to the game after I sort of stopped when a crash killed my Japan game so long ago.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I played one more game after my last post in April. It still felt like a chore and I was glad when it ended. This is the first Civ game that has ever left me cold, and I've played all of them.

Been getting my 4X fix from GalCiv3 lately. That one has problems of its own, but this is not its thread.
persself

Post by persself »

Kraken wrote:This is the first Civ game that has ever left me cold, and I've played all of them.
That's because I'm a "foul temptress", if you recall. :P
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I'm still spending my time playing Civ V. Can't make the transition.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:With the sale (though none on DLC) on Steam this week, I see two more DLC have been released and that likely means two more patches since last I played. One for Persia and one for Nubia.
Hmm...something to look forward to when gaming season returns.

Haven't touched the game (or any game) since maybe early May.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I tried it, the nubian's are interesting. But unless they massively change the game i really dont see Civ 6 being playable for my tastes. I hope they scuttle it and get Civ 7 up and running asap. I'll probably fall back to civ 5 here soon should the need to play strike. The patch really does nothing to ameliorate my concerns about the game. I could rant on...but i wont. Rest in peace Civ, rest in peace.
Bayraktar!!!!

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Newcastle wrote:I tried it, the nubian's are interesting. But unless they massively change the game i really dont see Civ 6 being playable for my tastes. I hope they scuttle it and get Civ 7 up and running asap. I'll probably fall back to civ 5 here soon should the need to play strike. The patch really does nothing to ameliorate my concerns about the game. I could rant on...but i wont. Rest in peace Civ, rest in peace.
IIRC Civ 5 didn't really shine until they finished it with two expansions. I've been assuming/hoping that the same treatment is in store for Civ 6.

If that's not what they're working on, then yeah, let's fast-forward to 7. I can't imagine they're milking much money out of the DLC.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's 15th on the Steam list with 30k+players. It's still got legs for some.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Isgrimnur wrote:It's 15th on the Steam list with 30k+players. It's still got legs for some.
If you look at the steam stats; Civ 5 is generally at 30K and Civ 6 is at 20K. Almost always Civ 5 has 10K advantage when i've checked (about 6 times in the last 6 months or so).
Bayraktar!!!!

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote:
Newcastle wrote:I tried it, the nubian's are interesting. But unless they massively change the game i really dont see Civ 6 being playable for my tastes. I hope they scuttle it and get Civ 7 up and running asap. I'll probably fall back to civ 5 here soon should the need to play strike. The patch really does nothing to ameliorate my concerns about the game. I could rant on...but i wont. Rest in peace Civ, rest in peace.
IIRC Civ 5 didn't really shine until they finished it with two expansions. I've been assuming/hoping that the same treatment is in store for Civ 6.

If that's not what they're working on, then yeah, let's fast-forward to 7. I can't imagine they're milking much money out of the DLC.
It was several years before Civ 5 was done expanding. With the last expansion, I didn't want to play anything else besides Civ 5. However, I like many of the changes in Civ 6 and don't want to go back to 5, even though in its current state Civ 6 lacks the siren's song that lures me back in anytime I have a few minutes to spend at the computer.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
Kraken wrote:

It was several years before Civ 5 was done expanding. With the last expansion, I didn't want to play anything else besides Civ 5. However, I like many of the changes in Civ 6 and don't want to go back to 5, even though in its current state Civ 6 lacks the siren's song that lures me back in anytime I have a few minutes to spend at the computer.
I think I'll fire up Civ5 again soon and see if it can grab me the way it used to, or if having tasted Civ6's improvements means there's no going back. I'm five turns away from finishing a GalCiv3 game that felt endless -- 20 hours played, and the outcome was ordained at least 4 hours ago.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jeff V wrote: It was several years before Civ 5 was done expanding. With the last expansion, I didn't want to play anything else besides Civ 5. However, I like many of the changes in Civ 6 and don't want to go back to 5, even though in its current state Civ 6 lacks the siren's song that lures me back in anytime I have a few minutes to spend at the computer.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Even if it lacks the polish 5 ultimately got, I still feel like Civ 6 was step forward and offered up some good improvements.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Even if it lacks the polish 5 ultimately got, I still feel like Civ 6 was step forward and offered up some good improvements.
I never gave V a third chance, but I think VI was way better out of gate. I especially liked that the world felt expansive, whereas it felt cluttered in V. But ultimately AI plus weird bugs made me put it down. I'm hoping I like it better as they patch it, seemingly every quarter.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Bugs Sargent Rico, zillions of em!

Once in a while an AI will suddenly be ahead in tech. Like getting nukes in 1160AD ahead in tech.

And they call you up to offer a trade deal, which they do not accept, but then you have you ask them to sweeten the deal, they sweeten it to the exact same thing and then accept.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I went back to V after a long absence. Quickly lost a game on Emperor due to a lousy starting position. Dropped it back to King and subsequently had a good game. Late in the game I'm behind in tech but catching up and feeling pretty sanguine when first-place Poland surprise-attacks my main trade city. His city-state allies DOW and kill some other routes. I retake the city and stomp the invaders, but my economy is smouldering after losing five of my seven routes. Not sure now if I'm going to be able to pull it out of the fire -- I'm outmatched, but stupid AI tricks might still give me the edge.

Point being that V is a finished, polished game with that stay-up-too-late thing going for it. It's still competitive and fun in the late game.

When I finish this I'm going to play VI again for comparison. After that I'll decide whether to keep playing VI or revert to V until VI gets an expansion or two.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

So far I've only seen new civilizations and scenarios for VI. What took V from good to very good were the major expansions.
I thought I heard that there were none planned, however, for VI?
If so, I can't see myself getting into VI as it's just not enjoyable for me today.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jolor wrote:So far I've only seen new civilizations and scenarios for VI. What took V from good to very good were the major expansions.
I thought I heard that there were none planned, however, for VI?
If so, I can't see myself getting into VI as it's just not enjoyable for me today.
Really? That is going to be a total buzzkill for me. I had always assumed there would be more, like happened for IV and V and I had been hanging my hat on that wait.