Starting WoW in 2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

noxiousdog

Re: Starting WoW in 2016

Post by noxiousdog »

Anyone is free to add my tag (NoxiousDog #1532) as well. I get the most fun out of dungeons and have assorted tanks, a healer, and dps horde side.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

So Blizz decided to allow people who buy the game time tokens to soon be able to trade them for $15 battle.net credit to their account. The price of the tokens has went from 58k gold to close to 100k in less than 24 hours and still rising. The North American region has always had the cheapest token price and is still half the price of Asian servers, but the Euro servers are now pushing on those prices at 185k. As someone who only plays WoW every once in a while because it was basically free with tokens, the cost have now reached a price that I can no longer keep up with as a casual player. I'm curious to see where the price range normalizes and how it could effect subs.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I have been considering purchasing a WoW Token in order to get some gold for some of my poorer toons. It would be my luck that the selling price on that server would take a dive.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Toe

Post by Toe »

Well, over the weekend, I reached a goal I normally have with each expansion in that I leveled all 12 classes from previous max level to current max level. I completed each of their artifact/class hall quest lines and got them each to around 850 ilevel (pretty easy with to Broken Shores crystals). Once I got flying on my main, I had 6 still sitting at 100. They all flew (no pun intended) through to 110 thanks to the flying and Broken Isle zone invasions. You get around a level doing the 6 or so invasion quests as a non-110 character. Died more on shadow priest and frost mage than the others I would say, but still fun learning rotations and such. My altoholic mod shows my total days /played at 803 days (so 19,248 hours :shock: )
For the last 3 months I have been using my gold to re-up my account instead of resubscribing for cash. Starting to feel the crunch doing that though as last time the cost was 107,000 gold for 30 days. So after this month is done, I think it will be time to hang it up for awhile, probably until next expansion as I am not super interested in the class mount questlines (although the shamans look pretty dang awesome).
Still not raided a normal raid or ran a mythic dungeon. Did a few heroics on my main, but thats it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Toe wrote:Well, over the weekend, I reached a goal I normally have with each expansion in that I leveled all 12 classes from previous max level to current max level. I completed each of their artifact/class hall quest lines and got them each to around 850 ilevel (pretty easy with to Broken Shores crystals). Once I got flying on my main, I had 6 still sitting at 100. They all flew (no pun intended) through to 110 thanks to the flying and Broken Isle zone invasions. You get around a level doing the 6 or so invasion quests as a non-110 character. Died more on shadow priest and frost mage than the others I would say, but still fun learning rotations and such. My altoholic mod shows my total days /played at 803 days (so 19,248 hours :shock: )
For the last 3 months I have been using my gold to re-up my account instead of resubscribing for cash. Starting to feel the crunch doing that though as last time the cost was 107,000 gold for 30 days. So after this month is done, I think it will be time to hang it up for awhile, probably until next expansion as I am not super interested in the class mount questlines (although the shamans look pretty dang awesome).
Still not raided a normal raid or ran a mythic dungeon. Did a few heroics on my main, but thats it.
I got close to max on all 12 classes, but I burnt out before I finished. Even with flying. I also spent some time playing the AH to feed the monthly habit, which eats into my leveling time. I may come back for 9.2.5 but I'm done for now too.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote:I got close to max on all 12 classes, but I burnt out before I finished. Even with flying. I also spent some time playing the AH to feed the monthly habit, which eats into my leveling time. I may come back for 9.2.5 but I'm done for now too.
I maxed my 12 character a few weeks back and I'm still going strong. I generally only have 30-45 minutes a day to play which is enough to get some world quests done or accomplish a few tasks. I did a little LFR raiding early in this expansion but haven't really bothered the past few months.

I still pay the $15 because I'd rather not focus on gold-making in-game. I do occasionally convert my in-game gold into BlizzBucks so I can buy the mounts and pets on their shop without having to spend real-world money.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ARISE (for a stupid question)

I got my once-a-year itch to give WoW another go this weekend. I rolled a panda this time, as it's the only race I hadn't tried yet. Actually had a ton of fun in the opening zone, and I'm still still enjoying running around in Orgrimmar. Actually got to level 17, which is further than I've ever gotten in WoW before.

So here's my stupid question. I'm used to very story-driven MMO's. FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2, ESO, NWN...they all had very obvious and bright "HERE IS THE MAIN QUEST DUMMY" lines that took you from killing rats at level 1 to killing gods at max level. So either I missed a giant flashing neon sign somewhere, or does WoW have a very different structure? The opening panda zone had a very obvious storyline, but when I came into Orgimmar, I grabbed every "!" I could see and they all just seem to be moving me around doing stuff in seemingly random directions.

Is there a consistent "main story" that goes from n00b to max level, or is it more that you just run around doing whatever requests happen to come in the zone you're in? Trying to adjust my expectations accordingly...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not played in 4 years but its like you say. You get a well defined quest line in your noob starting area. When you move on to other races areas its a zone by zone cleaning .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm ARISE (for a stupid question)

I got my once-a-year itch to give WoW another go this weekend. I rolled a panda this time, as it's the only race I hadn't tried yet. Actually had a ton of fun in the opening zone, and I'm still still enjoying running around in Orgrimmar. Actually got to level 17, which is further than I've ever gotten in WoW before.

So here's my stupid question. I'm used to very story-driven MMO's. FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2, ESO, NWN...they all had very obvious and bright "HERE IS THE MAIN QUEST DUMMY" lines that took you from killing rats at level 1 to killing gods at max level. So either I missed a giant flashing neon sign somewhere, or does WoW have a very different structure? The opening panda zone had a very obvious storyline, but when I came into Orgimmar, I grabbed every "!" I could see and they all just seem to be moving me around doing stuff in seemingly random directions.

Is there a consistent "main story" that goes from n00b to max level, or is it more that you just run around doing whatever requests happen to come in the zone you're in? Trying to adjust my expectations accordingly...
There are many main story lines normally broken up by zone and expansion. If you want it to be story driven, walk up to a command board and grab a main quest. You can also open it up from your quick menu, but I don't remember the exact name. It will provide you to a link to a quest hub, and then off you go.

The problem with doing in a main city is that there's often a lot going on with events and most of them won't be related to your level.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Toe

Post by Toe »

Actually with the leveling scaling recently implemented, there are just too many things going on at your level. A city hub will have popcorn quests to 3-5 different zones often. Get to a zones starting hub and you immediately are offered popcorn quests to go to 1-3 adjacent zones. They really need to do a tune-up on quest flow as its rather confusing and frustrating in its current form, even though I do appreciate not being forced to leave a zone now before completing it's main quest lines because all the quests would go grey.
Usually, most zones have a "main story" quest line or 3 (they are called Chapters in your quest log). Often this culminates in killing the boss of the particular zone's 5-man dungeon if a zone has one. Expansions often come with a main story line as well (omg! dark portal is open and demons are attacking as all!) that progresses through the zones until reaching a final raid encounter, but not always.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Yep, not much of a main quest in the base game but each expansion does have one, though you'll need to do some raids to complete them. If you're playing Horde, Hillsbrad Foothills in the Eastern Kingdom has a zone quest line that pokes fun at WoW and the player base. It starts at the South Point gate, the southwest entrance to the zone, and the first quest is called 'Welcome to the Machine' given by High Executor Darthalia. You can also start it on the Command Board in Undercity but now that they changed zone leveling I'm not sure how/when it shows up. It's a shame most players don't even bother to read the quests even if they haven't done it before.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Toe wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm Actually with the leveling scaling recently implemented, there are just too many things going on at your level. A city hub will have popcorn quests to 3-5 different zones often. Get to a zones starting hub and you immediately are offered popcorn quests to go to 1-3 adjacent zones. They really need to do a tune-up on quest flow as its rather confusing and frustrating in its current form, even though I do appreciate not being forced to leave a zone now before completing it's main quest lines because all the quests would go grey.
I think this is the biggest problem I have with WoW. The questing just feels completely random...probably moreso than any other MMO I've ever played. I just end up chasing exclamation points, and there seems to be little or no connection. As much as I like the overall aesthetic, I guess I just need something that's a little more story driven, or at least has some sort of common thread running through it.

Granted, I'm coming in 14 years after the fact. I'm sure this low-level stuff is a maze of updates and story lore, and there probably aren't enough total noobs at this point to make it worth their time to untangle.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I suggest you follow one of the questlines in your "Adventure Guide" which is on the lower right toolbar to the left of your bags. (It's between the icons of the horse and W.) By default Shift + J brings it up. I am assuming it exists at your character's level, but since my lowest toon is level 45, I couldn't check.

If you want to check out where a particular quest is leading to or if you need more information about a quest, I suggest consulting Wowhead as it is the one I use primarily. There are many other helpful sites as well, like Icy veins and WoW Wiki to name just two.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To tie all of that together, WoW since Cataclysm has had those kinds of storylines. They're normally contained within a single zone, and continue from entering the zone to the breadcrumb that leads you to the next zone and line. Each one has a few side quests along the way that almost always take place in the same location as the main quest, so there's no wandering around searching.

A couple of months ago, though, they changed their leveling system. Instead of Zone A being 10-15, Zone B being 15-25, and Zone C being 25-40 (with a clear progression), they are now 10-60, 15-60, and 25-60. Before if you walked into town at level 26, it would simply send you to Zone C. Now you're at the right level for A, B, and C at the same time, so it sends you to all three. It really does need to be tweaked a bit, but it is a brand new concept. It's actually a good thing, though, as you'd go to the 10-15 zone, start the questline, and hit 15 before you were halfway done. If you finished the questline, you'd be fighting level 15 enemies at level 20 (which is no fun), then find yourself between zone B (too easy) and C (too hard.) It made leveling a chore. It also means you can skip much of the Burning Crusade content, which was fantastic at the time, but is horribly out of date now.

Now what you want to do is drop all that crap you picked up all over Orgrimmar, which likely includes quite a few profession and daily quests (blue ! on the NPC) anyway. Go to the Warchief's Command Board, and pick one quest. That one will lead you somewhere with a questline like you're looking for.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I like the level system idea, but the execution certainly could have been better. That said, I followed your advice, dumped most of the "stuff", ignored most of the "!" in Orgrimmar, and narrowed the focus to the main questlines. I'm working on both the Northern Barrens and Ashenvale lines at the moment. Having more focused goals really helps, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm one of those weird people who actually reads the quest text, and they do such a great job of creating an immersive world. Got to 20 last night, got a mount (thank god), and have subbed for a month to see if it keeps my interest. Who would have thought that the damn kung-fu pandas would be the thing that actually gets WoW to click. :lol:

Now if I can just solve my crashing problem. It's entirely random...I'll be running across a zone and everything will just completely freeze. I can't even alt-tab out, the system just locks up completely requiring a reboot. Only seems to happen with WoW, so I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm Now if I can just solve my crashing problem. It's entirely random...I'll be running across a zone and everything will just completely freeze. I can't even alt-tab out, the system just locks up completely requiring a reboot. Only seems to happen with WoW, so I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting it.
Try disabling all your mods first and see if it happens. You can also delete the WTF file and run the repair utility.

I had stuttering issues at one point, but moving the game from a regular drive to my SSD fixed it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jag wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm Now if I can just solve my crashing problem. It's entirely random...I'll be running across a zone and everything will just completely freeze. I can't even alt-tab out, the system just locks up completely requiring a reboot. Only seems to happen with WoW, so I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting it.
Try disabling all your mods first and see if it happens. You can also delete the WTF file and run the repair utility.

I had stuttering issues at one point, but moving the game from a regular drive to my SSD fixed it.
No mods installed, but I'll try the repair utility. Weird that it's completely random. I can sometimes play for 4 hours with no issues, and the next day it'll lock up 3 times in an hour while I'm doing the exact same in-game stuff.

Speaking of mods, I should probably look into those at some point...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If so, I recommend going through the Twitch desktop client for them (which replaced the older Curse client.) It's free, and it keeps everything up to date. It ties in to Curse, which is the largest WoW mod repository.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm If so, I recommend going through the Twitch desktop client for them (which replaced the older Curse client.) It's free, and it keeps everything up to date. It ties in to Curse, which is the largest WoW mod repository.
I recommend avoiding the Twitch app like the plague and just downloading addons manually from curse.com...
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm I recommend avoiding the Twitch app like the plague and just downloading addons manually from curse.com...
I've never had a problem with it.

If you like reading quest text I recommend the immersion mod which converts the quest text into a more readable format.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm If so, I recommend going through the Twitch desktop client for them (which replaced the older Curse client.) It's free, and it keeps everything up to date. It ties in to Curse, which is the largest WoW mod repository.
I recommend avoiding the Twitch app like the plague and just downloading addons manually from curse.com...
Any particular reason why? You start it, download the mods, exit it. Once a day you start it, download the updates with a single button press, and exit it. It's owned by Amazon, so it isn't exactly some fly-by-night company, and it beats the hell out of checking updates on a few dozen mods one by one on the website.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 pm
Any particular reason why? You start it, download the mods, exit it. Once a day you start it, download the updates with a single button press, and exit it. It's owned by Amazon, so it isn't exactly some fly-by-night company, and it beats the hell out of checking updates on a few dozen mods one by one on the website.
It's a bloatware bundle that collects way too much information. Plus it also sucks at detecting new addons that are marked as "beta", and those are often the only ones that work the day of a new patch or expansion.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I just use Elvui (tukui.org) and Chocolate Bar with Broker Everything. You can find lots of support for Weak Auras as well. But really Elvui takes care of nearly everything.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

I think Twitch is great for WoW mods. Better than Curse was. At the very least, get a bar mod. The standard bar is just ... blargh.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jag wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 pm I think Twitch is great for WoW mods. Better than Curse was. At the very least, get a bar mod. The standard bar is just ... blargh.
Is there one you recommend? I haven't had any issues with the standard bar, but I don't really know what I'm missing.

Installed a few through Twitch, like the Immersion one linked above, one that shows if new gear is better than old, and a DPS calculator. Everything else did stuff that I don't even know about yet.

I should probably run a dungeon, but I'll admit that I'm a bit nervous about it, having never done a Wow dungeon before.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm
It's a bloatware bundle that collects way too much information.
It's Amazon. They already know far, far more about me than they will ever find out by seeing what WoW mods I install or which Twitch streams I watch. I don't worry too much about it using resources, as the only time it is ever running is if I'm updating mods or watching a Twitch stream.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I only use two add-ons, GTFO and Deadly Boss Mods and I get both of them from Curse. They are very easy to install manually (I don't even use the Curse client), I just delete the old mods' files and unzip the new ones into the folder where they were.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 pm
Jag wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 pm I think Twitch is great for WoW mods. Better than Curse was. At the very least, get a bar mod. The standard bar is just ... blargh.
Is there one you recommend? I haven't had any issues with the standard bar, but I don't really know what I'm missing.

Installed a few through Twitch, like the Immersion one linked above, one that shows if new gear is better than old, and a DPS calculator. Everything else did stuff that I don't even know about yet.

I should probably run a dungeon, but I'll admit that I'm a bit nervous about it, having never done a Wow dungeon before.
Don't worry about dungeons. Most people can 3 or 4 man them. Just try not to hit anything that hasn't been pulled yet :D

As far as mods, for leveling you don't really need much at this point. Much of it is quality of life stuff at max level. Bar mod I use is Bartender 4.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bartender is popular. I prefer Dominoes, but either one is fine. You'll also want a boss mod. I recommend BigWigs over Deadly Boss Mods. Both do the job, but BigWigs is less bloated and uses far less resources. Also get GTFO. It's vital.

For dungeons, as said, don't worry too much. Gone are the days when pre-heroic dungeons were complex endeavors. Most people leveling are so overgeared that it is more about trying to keep up with the tank. Just hang on and enjoy the ride and free loot.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 am For dungeons, as said, don't worry too much. Gone are the days when pre-heroic dungeons were complex endeavors. Most people leveling are so overgeared that it is more about trying to keep up with the tank. Just hang on and enjoy the ride and free loot.
Yep - follow the tank (unless that is you). If its moving fast just r-click his portrait and set a focus icon to float above him. If I'm running DPS with a non-guild group I just mark the tank with a red X and the healer with a green triangle so I know who to follow and who to save if they get swarmed.

You can always run dungeons (or even raids) in looking for group.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been through many random group dungeons, from Ragefire Chasm (the lowest level dungeon) to current tier non-heroic content that the tank essentially soloed at a sprint, pulling whole rooms and mowing them down without a heal and before the DPS even got a shot off (especially casters with long cast times.) One tank like that I stumbled on told everyone, "I will be doing this for a couple of hours. If you want to come along and level, just keep requeueing and enjoy the ride." I was playing a character that I just wanted leveled at the time, so I did exactly that. In those two hours I probably got 15-20 levels.

Note that I wouldn't do that with a character I actually wanted to see the content with.

As an aside, I'd suggest that if this is your first time through the content, use a DPS spec, not a tank. People tend to become impatient with tanks who don't have the dungeon and the fights memorized. No other role really gets that kind of performance pressure any more. It's due to the fact that a significant portion of the leveling players you meet already have multiple characters at max level and are trying to speed-level past the content to get to the endgame for whatever purpose - maybe their guild needs a new healer, or they want to farm something. These players are usually just after efficient XP, and the tank is the one who sets the pace.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm a Fury Warrior, so I'll probably just plonk anything that comes near (after the tank pulls) and try to keep up.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

While I’m still enjoying it, I’m unfortunately going to have to bow out of WoW, as this freezing issue is a game breaker.

I’ve updated all drivers, done a repair, uninstalled/reinstalled, disabled mods, but I still get completely random freezes. Blizzard tech support seems stumped because it’s entirely random. I’ll play fine for 3 hours, then it’ll lock up my system 4 times in 20 minutes.

Kinda bummed, as I was actually having fun with it for the first time. Oh well...maybe I’ll give it another try when I do a system upgrade later this year.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:02 pm While I’m still enjoying it, I’m unfortunately going to have to bow out of WoW, as this freezing issue is a game breaker.

I’ve updated all drivers, done a repair, uninstalled/reinstalled, disabled mods, but I still get completely random freezes. Blizzard tech support seems stumped because it’s entirely random. I’ll play fine for 3 hours, then it’ll lock up my system 4 times in 20 minutes.

Kinda bummed, as I was actually having fun with it for the first time. Oh well...maybe I’ll give it another try when I do a system upgrade later this year.
Couple of things that people on WoW forums tend to point out, that sometimes fix weird issues:

- Disable streaming (in Blizzard app launcher: Options > Game Settings > Streaming > uncheck the "Enable Streaming" box)
- try running WoW with DirectX 9 instead of DirectX 11 (launch WoW, go to Menu on the character selection screen: System > Advanced > Graphics API)
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:02 pm While I’m still enjoying it, I’m unfortunately going to have to bow out of WoW, as this freezing issue is a game breaker....
Sorry to learn that you are having problems playing WoW. I am not experiencing anything like what you are. I can only post that I hope your problem gets sorted and that you will soon be back enjoying WoW.

Good luck!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kotaku did a timely article yesterday, "How to get into World of Warcraft in 2018".

I fiddled with some of the recommended fixes, and spent a couple hours last night with only had one lock-up. So...progress? I'm really quite fascinated by this game now. Got a random invite to one of those huge 900+ player guilds. Better than nothing, I suppose. Going finally try and run my first dungeon this weekend, will see how that goes.

Noob question: Does joining a PUG for dungeons automatically transport you to the dungeon? Or do you physically have to travel there on the world map? I've really only done dungeons in FFXIV, and they just teleported you there. I haven't explored much of the world yet, and would hate to be stuck because I haven't actually found the location yet.

This is a long shot, but are any OO'ers playing Horde on Whisperwind?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 am
Noob question: Does joining a PUG for dungeons automatically transport you to the dungeon? Or do you physically have to travel there on the world map? I've really only done dungeons in FFXIV, and they just teleported you there. I haven't explored much of the world yet, and would hate to be stuck because I haven't actually found the location yet.
If you're joining the PUG with the Dungeon Finder tool, it teleports you directly there. If you leave the dungeon by any means, you'll be ported back to where you were. You'll want to grab the quests nearby when you first pop in, and you probably won't have time to read them. When you kill the final boss, don't leave the dungeon. Backtrack to turn the quests in. Dungeon quests usually give much better rewards than world quests.

Trick: When you get to that point, you can right click the eye icon on your minimap and choose teleport out of dungeon, then after you load, immediately do it again and teleport back into the dungeon. It will normally place you right next to the quest givers. Major caveat: don't do it if everybody else is leaving. If you're the last one in the group when you teleport out, you won't be able to teleport back.

Oh, and be aware that deaths in dungeons do happen, and it isn't a big deal. And occasionally you'll end up in a bad dungeon group, with one guy that keeps doing stupid stuff, or a tank that overpulls and wipes the group, or whatever. Just ride it out. The next one will be better.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ran my first few dungeons last night, and it was pretty fun. Have no clue WTF I was doing, but at least I got a few gold so I could stop scrounging copper from trash mobs. :lol:

Keep having major system issues with WoW though. Last night, my system just randomly shut down twice (both times while I was in dungeons). Seems like this is a known issue with not much in the way of a solution other than "replace your power supply" and/or "update your drivers". Awesome. :grund:

I left the big guild since there were never more than 6 people on at any given time and no one ever talked. Probably not a good sign with 900+ members. Now I need to figure out how to find a new one...
Toe

Post by Toe »

I would not be overly concerned with finding a guild right away as you can enjoy 99.9% of content all by yourself utilizing the tools like the LFG finder, unless you are the type of person that really likes to see that guild chatter going on. The only really decent perks you get currently by being the member are the hearthstone cool down perk and maybe access to the guild vault if its the type of guild that makes crafting mats and other simple items (like bags) available to low level/new members in the guild vault.

Many of the larger, mass-invite types of guilds are not very helpful or active in the leveling process and often guild chat descends into typical 13-year old online talk. You hit on an important aspect of looking for the right guild for you in noting how many players are online. Always check that out when you get an invite, just do a /who <guild name> and see how many players are on at the times you are playing. That will be a good indicator of what to expect down the road. I also like to ask the recruiter how would they rate their typical guild chat, R-rated, PG-13, etc. I have left several guilds due to just plain vulgar, racist chat.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Keep running dungeons. That's a good way to find a guild. I've never heard good things about guilds that spam new characters. But if you keep running, you'll most likely eventually get into a run with 2+ people from the same guild. If they like how you play, you may get an invite. A perk of that is that you'll also have an idea about how they play.

As noted, don't be in a rush.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.