Starting WoW in 2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Starting WoW in 2016

Post by coopasonic »

Semaj wrote:I'm level 107ish on my Demon hunter
I have fallen to my death a few times...
Demon Hunters have built in gliders. Is it not effective in some situations or just panic?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I wasted all weekend after I hit max level messing around on alts when I should have been working on the fishing artifact pole!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote:Be a Mage like me. Problem solved :lol:
Or a Goblin.

Or an engineer.

Or all three.

Can you fly in the new zones? If so, then add druid to that list.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:Can you fly in the new zones? If so, then add druid to that list.
No flight currently and it's probably going to be a bigger pain than it was in the last expansion to get. There is an achievement like there was for Draenor, but this achievement is "part one." The second part doesn't exist yet but I can't imagine it will be any easier.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

coopasonic wrote:
Demon Hunters have built in gliders. Is it not effective in some situations or just panic?
Being mounted means having very quick skills to not die when you make the wrong turn...

And if you jump, then double jump then jump again, you get to glide, if you hit the space bar accidentally twice to jump, then hit it twice more to get to gliding, you learn that you turn off the glider and enjoy a quick drop.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Toe

Post by Toe »

There is a toy you can make from 4 looted pieces that gives you 60 seconds of gliding, with a 2 minute cooldown. It is very easy to get and, since its a toy, you can use it on other characters as well.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=131811/rocf ... yhorn-kite
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got my demon hunter to her class hall, but haven't done anything else so I haven't experienced anything but the joy of double jump gliding in largely harmless areas.

I was very disappointed to find out other classes (even mages!) have to go to Dalaran and fly to the different Broken Isles zones. Warriors jump straight down to the different zones straight from their class halls. So awesome. :D They also jump back up to their class halls from any Legion zone (from a specific location in each zone).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Toe wrote:There is a toy you can make from 4 looted pieces that gives you 60 seconds of gliding, with a 2 minute cooldown. It is very easy to get and, since its a toy, you can use it on other characters as well.

I got my first piece yesterday. I guess I should get to work on that.

Also, you might scoff at the fishing pole artifact I mentioned above, but note that one of the skills it can unlock is water walking! There is also faster swimming and underwater breathing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Toe

Post by Toe »

One interesting aspect of this expansion is how alliance and horde work together to take on the legion... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOudUXxWPSs
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Toe wrote:There is a toy you can make from 4 looted pieces that gives you 60 seconds of gliding, with a 2 minute cooldown. It is very easy to get and, since its a toy, you can use it on other characters as well.

I got 2 out of 4 feathers for it in my bags, I wasn't even paying attention to where I got them (but I was questing killing every rare that popped up and clicking on every purple treasure).
I try to keep goblin gliders in the bags of all my non-Goblin characters, but with some of the landscapes in the Broken Isles, they are running out very quickly...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The legion companion app is now available for both iOS and Android. It lets you manage your champions and their missions.

On iOS I had to drop off my work wifi for the app to function properly. Apparently it isn't good at being in the background, so you may want to kill it between uses.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Heaven help me... after some 5 years, I am back into WoW. This is a terrible decision, I am sure.

Actually, we have a new baby, so I get a few hours at night when both baby and wife are sleeping to play. I always found WoW, oddly, a game that was conducive to feeling some progress even after only a few hours or play. I may be crazy, but we will see if that still holds.

Unfortunately, I have to get my main from 85 to 100 before seeing the new content. I could use the level-boost, as a last resort, but I was thinking about using that on a level 60 alt to get up to speed.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

coopasonic wrote:

Also, you might scoff at the fishing pole artifact I mentioned above, but note that one of the skills it can unlock is water walking! There is also faster swimming and underwater breathing.
I checked into that and damn! You had better love fishing because the time required to get the rare fish you need for that quest will have you fishing for around 12 solid hours and thats if you have the top pole and the right lures. But wait! Theres more! Getting the lures you need is a real PITA, unless you really like fishing in the underbelly of Dalaran. Yeah, fishing in PVP central, that sound like fun! If you want that fishing pole, you are going to have to earn it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Lorini wrote:Be a Mage like me. Problem solved :lol:
I've got a nice stack of goblin gliders I keep for such times - it's just that usually when you're jumping a long way into water you don't have to worry about it because the water you land in is deep enough to not insta-kill you.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Are you kidding me? I love fishing and was looking forward to the fishing artifact. But having to fish in the PvP zone? Who had that stupid idea? Ugh.

104 or 105 with my priest. Still like toying around with alts nearly as much. My son and I are working on getting the Sky Golem mount. We're about halfway there. Haven't done instances either. I fear the PUGs, and long for the old days of guild with actual intellingent members/friends. Oh well.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Baroquen wrote:Are you kidding me? I love fishing and was looking forward to the fishing artifact. But having to fish in the PvP zone? Who had that stupid idea? Ugh.
The guy that sells the lures that doubles your rare fish catching chance is located on a small floating island outside of Dalaran. You can get to it by various gliding methods discussed in this thread. So you do not have to fish up the teleport device in the underbelly as all it does it take you to this same island. I could see Blizzard changing that, but for now, you do not need to fish anything up in the underbelly or any other PvP location. Even so, this lure doubles your chance at catching a rare when using a rare lure. So you can still do this quest without getting it and it might not be too bad depending on the chances we are talking about. Using this lure people seem to catch it within 1 or 2 rare lure tries, so without it, theoretically it would take 3-4 tries.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Anyone have a link to how flying is going to work? I'm extremely disappointed that it's going to be harder to do than in Warlords as I couldn't do it there. I hate not having flying.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Lorini wrote:Anyone have a link to how flying is going to work? I'm extremely disappointed that it's going to be harder to do than in Warlords as I couldn't do it there. I hate not having flying.
Wowhead guide (this is just the first part of the required achievement, Blizzard hasn't released the rest yet)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Baroquen wrote:Are you kidding me? I love fishing and was looking forward to the fishing artifact. But having to fish in the PvP zone? Who had that stupid idea? Ugh.
You can talk to an NPC (Raethan) in the Underbelly, close to the entrance. Pay him 5 gold and buy a "bodyguard" (PvP immunity) for 5 minutes. Also, depending on your server, people might not mess with you too much when you're fishing (especially if it's a weekday).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rshetts2 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

I checked into that and damn! You had better love fishing because the time required to get the rare fish you need for that quest will have you fishing for around 12 solid hours and thats if you have the top pole and the right lures. But wait! Theres more! Getting the lures you need is a real PITA, unless you really like fishing in the underbelly of Dalaran. Yeah, fishing in PVP central, that sound like fun! If you want that fishing pole, you are going to have to earn it.
Based on my experience starting this yesterday, it sounds way harder than it is. I started at around 550 skill and no fishing pole or bait. I went to the underbelly and spent about 10 minutes before someone used the item that let me fish up the item to teleport to the arcane bait guy. I spent much longer on the arcane bait island than was necessary, but I wanted to make sure I got enough to justify the trip. It was probably 40 minutes, but I ported away with 80 arcane bait (yeah, I wanted to be sure) and maybe 4k faction with the guy (half way to the first tier).

At this point I am after the 18 rare fish. Rare is an overstatement. Using the arcane lures, I think I got bait for the rares on every other pool. Only one of those bait failed to get me the rare fish. There is one that lets you see a special kind of fish pool, but I never saw one (ghostly queenfish in aszuna). After a couple of hours I have 5 of the 18 fish and my fishing skill is up to 690.

I just want to reiterate, I started with pre-Draenor fishing skill and used nothing for fishing bonuses but the arcane lure (which has no fishing bonus) and I had no problem pulling in the rare fish. The best part of it is I hardly spent any time just standing around fishing. Find a pool, pop the arcane lure, get the rare bait (or fail and find a second pool then get the rare bait), use the bait, get the rare, move on. Actually, rather than moving on, keep pulling in the rares until the bait runs out because they each give +5 fishing skill and I need to get to 800 before I catch all the fish. :D

--

Edit to add: I have 5/18 fish and only used 5 of my arcane lures. 75 left, I think I am good. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

coopasonic wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

Based on my experience starting this yesterday, it sounds way harder than it is. I started at around 550 skill and no fishing pole or bait. I went to the underbelly and spent about 10 minutes before someone used the item that let me fish up the item to teleport to the arcane bait guy. I spent much longer on the arcane bait island than was necessary, but I wanted to make sure I got enough to justify the trip. It was probably 40 minutes, but I ported away with 80 arcane bait (yeah, I wanted to be sure) and maybe 4k faction with the guy (half way to the first tier).

At this point I am after the 18 rare fish. Rare is an overstatement. Using the arcane lures, I think I got bait for the rares on every other pool. Only one of those bait failed to get me the rare fish. There is one that lets you see a special kind of fish pool, but I never saw one (ghostly queenfish in aszuna). After a couple of hours I have 5 of the 18 fish and my fishing skill is up to 690.

I just want to reiterate, I started with pre-Draenor fishing skill and used nothing for fishing bonuses but the arcane lure (which has no fishing bonus) and I had no problem pulling in the rare fish. The best part of it is I hardly spent any time just standing around fishing. Find a pool, pop the arcane lure, get the rare bait (or fail and find a second pool then get the rare bait), use the bait, get the rare, move on. Actually, rather than moving on, keep pulling in the rares until the bait runs out because they each give +5 fishing skill and I need to get to 800 before I catch all the fish. :D

--

Edit to add: I have 5/18 fish and only used 5 of my arcane lures. 75 left, I think I am good. ;)
Cool. The article I read was pre release so maybe Blizz decided it was too difficult and made some adjustments. I guess I may have to give it a shot after all.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I need to stop reading this thread, save for my last big post in it about why it didn't appeal to me anymore. :grund:

Thankfully, the $65 price tag for getting back in (expansion + sub) prevents moments of whimsical stupidity from ruling the day.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Thanks for the fishing details, everyone. I think I'll try getting started with it in the next couple days. Doesn't sound all that bad.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Blackhawk wrote:I need to stop reading this thread, save for my last big post in it about why it didn't appeal to me anymore. :grund:

Thankfully, the $65 price tag for getting back in (expansion + sub) prevents moments of whimsical stupidity from ruling the day.
BH - if you have oodles of gold, you can sell it for a game token. I did that and have a few months stocked up and that's how i am gonna finance my next few months of wow.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

Giving WoW another look, I have an Undead Rogue and Blood Elf Mage that are new on Thrall, both around level 8. If anyone wants to run old content (new to me) names are Evuleye, or Evulai. I figured I'd try to get through as much as I can before getting Legion and bumping to/creating a 100. Is there an active guild or is everyone doing their own thing?

My battle.net tag is Deadline13#1138
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:I need to stop reading this thread, save for my last big post in it about why it didn't appeal to me anymore. :grund:

If it helps, I think the "the amount of time spent fishing isn't too bad!" argument is a compelling reason to stay away. :)
Black Lives Matter.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I finished the paladin order hall series today. Nice scenario to go through and the rewards were great.
Spoiler:
(unlocked the order hall chest piece and the third relic slot on my weapons.)

Some guildies and I expect to start running mythics this weekend if they can all get their gear score up to snuff. Slow pokes.
Black Lives Matter
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

My demon hunter is 110, I'll be running the 5 mans soon enough and hopefully working on fancy gear for heroics, etc.

My shadow priest is starting to run through the different areas, my monk/DK/Shaman all have thier first arts and will be hitting 101 shortly enough to start working on class hall things.ran around with 3 friends and realized world quests are a super easy way to get decent things to help advance you early and then feed you gold/class hall resources/etc. later.

Anyways, Im still enjoying the expansion but I am worried about my tanking ability... so I guess I'll read icy veins and dive in. I'll let you know how it's going when I am more into things.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

The Slow Fall and Levitate spells will prevent many deaths, but are very inferior to Goblin Glider Kits which are made by Engineers.
Semaj wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Being mounted means having very quick skills to not die when you make the wrong turn...

And if you jump, then double jump then jump again, you get to glide, if you hit the space bar accidentally twice to jump, then hit it twice more to get to gliding, you learn that you turn off the glider and enjoy a quick drop.
Thanks for the information. I wondered what my Demon Hunter was doing wrong.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Toe

Post by Toe »

Greybriar wrote:The Slow Fall and Levitate spells will prevent many deaths, but are very inferior to Goblin Glider Kits which are made by Engineers.
Yes, especially since this latest patch where they nerfed the toy kite's cooldown considerably (from 2 minutes to 15 minutes). Goblin Glider Kits are much better now if you have a WoD-level engineer.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Greybriar wrote:The Slow Fall and Levitate spells will prevent many deaths, but are very inferior to Goblin Glider Kits which are made by Engineers.
Semaj wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

Thanks for the information. I wondered what my Demon Hunter was doing wrong.
When you first start playing one you dont realise you can re-glide super quickly so you end up spamming the space bar and just turning it right back off again.

i've practiced it enough to use it to drop from very tall heights and then just break my speed as i drop from time to time so i take no damage...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got my fishing artifact last week. Last night I finally unlocked water walking and fish form. Tonight I will unlock the reduced threat range and then... I'm... uhh... done fishing?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

After starting nearly a week late, I finally made 110 with my fire mage. On to Demon Hunter!
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lorini wrote:After starting nearly a week late, I finally made 110 with my fire mage. On to Demon Hunter!
Got my DH to 110. It's hard as hell to stop double jumping on my other toons.

This xp is really hard on alts though which is how I like to play. Once world quests open up on multiple 110s, it gets pretty insane.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My main is at 108, but I've been slow to level him because I've been busy mining and transmuting to make the sky golem mount my son wanted. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I like world quests at 110. Hoping I will.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I got kicked out of a dungeon run. I'm doing the best I can but apparently that's not good enough. I don't even want to play this stupid game anymore. It was on Normal mode and I have to finish this stupid dungeon for my profession quest. Feel terrible right now.

Yes I'm using the Fire Mage rotation on icy-veins.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Any reason given, were you dying a bunch or just a kick?

I have two 110s doing world quests now. I am not sure I would want a third. I have a life.

I did 4 instances with my warrior in PUGs and didn't have any issues. I thought I was terrible, but I was DPS, we are expected to be terrible.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote:This xp is really hard on alts though which is how I like to play. Once world quests open up on multiple 110s, it gets pretty insane.
I really enjoyed have a stable of alts with garrisons to manage in WoD.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle alts this time around. I've got my DK to 110 and his iLVL up to 833. When I first hit 110 I died a LOT so it's fun to be powerful enough to take groups or some of the weaker group mobs.

I think for now I'm going to get the DK exalted with all the factions with world questing and then I'll figure out how to handle the alts.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote:I think for now I'm going to get the DK exalted with all the factions with world questing and then I'll figure out how to handle the alts.
I think I'd want to level up the alts so they can start working on the artifact power upgrades (and all the other class hall upgrades) that unlock at 110.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:Any reason given, were you dying a bunch or just a kick?

I have two 110s doing world quests now. I am not sure I would want a third. I have a life.

I did 4 instances with my warrior in PUGs and didn't have any issues. I thought I was terrible, but I was DPS, we are expected to be terrible.
Someone not me aggroed a bunch of mobs and there was a wipe. I have been taught to wait to be rezzed instead of running back. They ran back. I did not get kicked at that time. I got kicked 10 minutes later. There is no way I aggroed the mobs as Fire Mage single target rotation doesn't spread.
Black Lives Matter