Starting WoW in 2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Biyobi

Re: Starting WoW in 2016

Post by Biyobi »

Lorini wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Any reason given, were you dying a bunch or just a kick?

I have two 110s doing world quests now. I am not sure I would want a third. I have a life.

I did 4 instances with my warrior in PUGs and didn't have any issues. I thought I was terrible, but I was DPS, we are expected to be terrible.
Someone not me aggroed a bunch of mobs and there was a wipe. I have been taught to wait to be rezzed instead of running back. They ran back. I did not get kicked at that time. I got kicked 10 minutes later. There is no way I aggroed the mobs as Fire Mage single target rotation doesn't spread.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're always going to run into PUGs that have attitude issues every now and then.

Also, normal mode runs are a mixture of character levels where there damage is being "normalized". I've found lower-level toons tend to do way more damage than 110s in those runs. A 102 hunter that was well geared at the end of WoD will do a lot more damage than a brand new 110 in her greens and lower end blues. To find a true metric of where your dps is at, run heroics (once you're at 810 ilevel). Those are all 110 level characters.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's just WoW. There are all sorts of reasons that can happen, including some that may not be obvious. I've seen groups kick the wrong person. I've seen groups kick someone because they suggested doing an optional boss. I've seen groups of friends who were missing a person or two use the dungeon finder, then wait until they get to the part they want and kick the other person just so they are guaranteed to win the drop.

WoW is full of dicks. Sometimes those dicks act like dicks. Blow 'em off and don't let them ruin your fun.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks guys. I did think it through, went back and tried again, and the next group was really nice and I finished it. Only two more dungeons to go for my profession quests. I need so much to work on my nearly overwhelming anxiety in dungeons.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used to have that problem, then when the Dungeon Finder was released I made a new character and did each dungeon several times as I leveled up. Learning and becoming comfortable with the process is so much easier when you aren't dealing with end-game content and end-game assholes (and they do tend to congregate in the end-game dungeons and raids.)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Lorini wrote:I have been taught to wait to be rezzed instead of running back.
They took away mass rez from everyone but healers. So if 3+ people die, just run back, there's probably no one left to rez.

Almost all dungeons that I've run so far this expansion have been really smooth, people helping each other out. A few times I was dead last in DPS (warlock, because they've been nerfed into oblivion, and boomkin, because I'm not very good at it :) ) - I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they'd kicked me, but stuff was dying and no one really cared about the damage meters. My warlock is the only character over ilvl 810, so I ran first heroic today - again, dead last DPS but no one complained.

I got 4 characters to 110 so far, plus a couple more that have unlocked the mission board in the class order hall. I'm actually loving the Android app to send out missions. Unfortunately, I finished WoD with 15 lvl 100s, so I'll have to prioritize them eventually, there's no way I can maintain them all.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I have not even started on my other 11 100s yet, other than getting a few to Dalaran. Side-story - I needed 10 foxfire herbs for my blacksmithing quest and, of course, some enterprising auctionator bought them all up and were listing them 150 gold each. Frustated, I logged in my death knight, got his artifact weapon, picked the zone where foxfire grows as starting zone, found a herb within 2 minutes, it generated a fox that dropped like 25 foxfire herbs. Ha! screw you mister gouger. Later I saw a blacksmith asking about acquiring some foxfire in trade chat, so I gave him 10 just because.

While we are not sure what is going to be required for flying in this expansion, I am guessing you are going to need revered, minimum, with all the factions. So I am just going to keep focusing on faction work with my main instead of working up alts at the moment. Plus I need revered/exalted with a few factions anyway for professions and such (I want to get the 6-piece set bonus for my class armor).

Speaking of professions, I really felt they are the weakest aspect of this expansion pact, mainly because they just feel unpolished/incomplete. Like engineers, to get a plan to craft an ilevel 815 helm, they have to open up (via faction) and complete a mythic dungeon, which drops ilevel 840 gear. Gating an ilevel 815 pattern behind an 840 dungeon, seriously? For blacksmithing, I hit 783 last night and there is literally nothing I can make to advance my skill any higher. I really do not care for the system of upgraded plans that produce the same stuff, with just less materials (oh how exciting). Also not a fan of how I got an archaeology quest (after completing 25 projects) that makes me gather in a free-for-all PvP area to complete the quest and get the reward. :hawk:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

OK a few things here. All links from WoWhead.

Character planner. This will let you know how close you are to the initial Flying achievement
An explanation of how the Underbelly works. You can go to this guy to get a bodyguard during the pvp time.

Keep in mind that people troll trade chat all the time to get people to give them 'free' stuff where they transfer said stuff to to their bank alt and gouge you on the AH. Frankly, I'd advise never doing this....you're contributing to the problem.

Yeah agreed with you on the profession quests, I guess they are a way to get people to buy gold because the stuff you need to turn in for the quests is ridiculously expensive.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As a regular auction-houser before Warlords broke it, there is an easy counter to those people. If the going price for Peacebloom is 5 gold, and someone collects them all and sells them for 150 each, someone with an herbalist just collects a few stacks and sells them for 50 each. The only person who will buy them is the gouger. When he does, you put up another half stack. Then another. You make a 10x profit off of the gouger, until he either stops or goes broke.

Part of the problem is also that there are lots and lots of people who cash farmed in Warlords and are sitting on millions of gold - per character. When you have 80 million gold, spending 150 per flower means nothing, and makes selling them at that price very worthwhile, despite screwing those who didn't spend the last year farming cash.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Lorini wrote: Character planner. This will let you know how close you are to the initial Flying achievement
An explanation of how the Underbelly works. You can go to this guy to get a bodyguard during the pvp time.

Keep in mind that people troll trade chat all the time to get people to give them 'free' stuff where they transfer said stuff to to their bank alt and gouge you on the AH. Frankly, I'd advise never doing this....you're contributing to the problem.
Ah, so it is revered required with each reputation. Remembering how big a difference it made in WoD, I will wait for flying before I get serious about leveling alts. The Wardens looks like its going to be my biggest hurdle as I am not running many dungeons right now, so am just doing the world quests for them when they pop up.

As for the underbelly, that is not what I was referring to if you were listing that for me. For archaeology, every 2 weeks, one of the factions will have quest for a rare item, which requires you to first make 20 or 25 regular archaeology things (last time it was loot 200 quest pieces from digsites from that zone), then a final quest to get your item. This round, for me was in Val'sharah zone, after spending a few hours making 25 regular items, I turned it in for the final quest which is to dig up stuff in the world PvP area in Val'sharah.

As for the Underbelly, I did get killed down there a few times for some earlier quests, once after I bought a guard. It apparently can bug out and vanish for no reason.

As for contributing to the problem of price gouging, based on the way he was talking about it, I am pretty confident that he was not doing anything underhanded. And it was just 10 herbs. I did get some enjoyment out of giving them to him, so I can always take that away, and if he did turn around and list the 10 herbs for 149.99 gold each, its not going to have any significant impact on anyone (and would make his day either way). You can for sure bet if I put them up on the AH for a reasonable price, 20 auction house player's mods would have detected the massive price difference and they would have been snatched up instantly and relisted for insane prices before I could hearth out. There really is no way to win other than not playing or just focusing on your enjoyment of the game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Toe wrote:You can for sure bet if I put them up on the AH for a reasonable price, 20 auction house player's mods would have detected the massive price difference and they would have been snatched up instantly and relisted for insane prices before I could hearth out. There really is no way to win other than not playing or just focusing on your enjoyment of the game.
I love giving things away that are being gouged.

Note that I didn't say to list them at reasonable prices. If they're listing at 1000% normal, you list at 250% normal. If you have a few stacks you can keep it up all day, rake in a fortune in the gougers's money, and eventually someone will come along and undercut him in such a way that it is above his auto-buy limit, but below his buyout (meaning that he will never make another sale until he drops his prices, at which the undercutter will do it again.) Those silly markups never last long. They hope to corner the market on something for a few days while there's no competition, but they always draw in the competition.

So, while the gouger is manipulating the system, you manipulate the gouger. It makes it a hell of a lot less profitable for them, makes you money, and makes the whole process less appealing for them in the future.

Another thing the manipulators used to do to try and scam people was to get a common item that you never saw on the auction house - a five-copper cooking ingredient available from every vendor, for instance. They would then list them for a ridiculous sum - say 5,000 gold each, and a dozen of them for sale. After a few weeks of this, they'd list a few of the five copper items for 200 gold. Automated bargain hunters would see that they were at 2% of the normal value, and the saps would buy them up like crazy. Most of the auction addons account for this now, either eliminating stuff that is way outside the historical average, or warning about vendor prices on items.

I also remember those who would plan in advance for special ingredients needed for the holidays. One year the holiday achievements required cooking certain recipes, and one of the ingredients was the Small Egg. Someone had them up on the auction house for 50 gold each, and made a fortune at it. Nobody else was selling the things, because they were useless the rest of the time. What nobody realized was that every single bird in every newbie and under-20 zone dropped the things. You could gather a dozen in minutes. They guy made a fortune (this was in the BC days when 50 gold was a lot of money.)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Baroquen wrote:My main is at 108, but I've been slow to level him because I've been busy mining and transmuting to make the sky golem mount my son wanted. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I like world quests at 110. Hoping I will.
Sky Golems are going for about million gold right now because of the insane herb prices and raiding starting. This is the reason I never wanted my son playing WoW :P (ok, not really)

BTW, if people are looking to gear up there is a world boss dragon in Stormheim called Nithogg or something. I got an 870 cloak off it today. There are tons of groups doing it.

I'm like Lorini, I get anxiety in dungeons. Not because I'm not uber, I am. I just hate being locked into things and don't have a ton of time to play with out some family or work aggro, so I only run dungeons when I absolutely have too. I need to do Mythic Eye of Azshara for my Order Hall and I'm probably not going to even bother until much later when people can just overgear it.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: I also remember those who would plan in advance for special ingredients needed for the holidays. One year the holiday achievements required cooking certain recipes, and one of the ingredients was the Small Egg. Someone had them up on the auction house for 50 gold each, and made a fortune at it. Nobody else was selling the things, because they were useless the rest of the time. What nobody realized was that every single bird in every newbie and under-20 zone dropped the things. You could gather a dozen in minutes. They guy made a fortune (this was in the BC days when 50 gold was a lot of money.)
Not just in BC...I've been doing this every Winter's Veil up until WoD ;) People don't want to leave the capital city and chase down birds in starting areas, they want to run over to the AH and get their 5 small eggs to turn in the quest.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used to make a killing on the Chocolate Cakes when the recipe was still nearly impossible to get! Savory Deviate Delight used to be worth a fortune, too, before it became one of the most common dropped recipes.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Some tips and such:

A how-to-apply-glyphs gifs
Spoiler:
Don't blow too much order resources on upgrading your class armor as your order advancement tech requires a boat load (although there is a long timer to get each advancement).

In that vein, you probably want to always keep work orders going for champion improvements and especially artifact research. It would probably be a good idea to get each alt to the point where they have enough order resources to keep artifact research going while you play your main.

Loot every treasure chest you can find as even the small treasure chests have a chance to drop legendary gear. And in that vein, be sure to get the treasure map from each faction when you reach honored with them as it will show all unlooted treasure chests on your mini-map for that zone.

World quests stay around for 1 hour after they expire on your world map. So if a tasty world quest has 5 minutes left, you can still get there and get it done with no issue, as long as you remember where it is.

World bosses will start spawning now. To get your weekly shot at their loot, you just go there and engage it (dont need to be in raid group). You can get bonus rolls by getting tokens (for gold or order resources) from an NPC in Dalaran, in the Violet Hold entrance area (has repeatable quest icon).
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Toe wrote:Don't blow too much order resources on upgrading your class armor as your order advancement tech requires a boat load (although there is a long timer to get each advancement).
And as Jag points out above, it's very easy to get gear that's better than the class armor. I downed that world boss and got a ilvl 870 helm from it. World Quests will slowly give you better gear too so I haven't really bothered with the class armor.

In that vein, you probably want to always keep work orders going for champion improvements and especially artifact research. It would probably be a good idea to get each alt to the point where they have enough order resources to keep artifact research going while you play your main.
I finally got a mission that rewards order resources. It takes two days to complete and only brings back 450 but it still gives me hope that running missions on alts might be self-sustaining - but suspect they've designed the system to prevent WoD style gameplay where you never left your garrison.
World bosses will start spawning now. To get your weekly shot at their loot, you just go there and engage it (dont need to be in raid group).
You don't need to be in a raid group but it can be helpful. When I ran to the boss on Whisperwind I found 3 others just standing there, staring at the boss. I went into group finder and joined a group which moved me to that leader's realm where the boss was already about half dead. 5 minutes of whacking at it gave me nice loot.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote:You don't need to be in a raid group but it can be helpful. When I ran to the boss on Whisperwind I found 3 others just standing there, staring at the boss. I went into group finder and joined a group which moved me to that leader's realm where the boss was already about half dead. 5 minutes of whacking at it gave me nice loot.
Very helpful tip. I did it on my ranger the first night he was there (865 cloak, thanks Nithogg). I went last night with my Warrior and there was about 5 people standing around waiting. I'll try group finder next time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Toe

Post by Toe »

Exodor wrote:
Toe wrote:Don't blow too much order resources on upgrading your class armor as your order advancement tech requires a boat load (although there is a long timer to get each advancement).
And as Jag points out above, it's very easy to get gear that's better than the class armor. I downed that world boss and got a ilvl 870 helm from it. World Quests will slowly give you better gear too so I haven't really bothered with the class armor.
I did a little research on this aspect and, while yes, the weekly world boss drops better gear, the chances of you getting something is relatively low and you only get one (or two with bonus roll) per boss (3 bosses per week max), so not necessarily "very easy" (grats on getting something btw ;)). For example, someone was in a large raid group of 20 or more players and only two people got an item from this weeks world boss. So someone could easily got months without winning anything from a world boss.
Class armor ranges from 810 to 840 ilevel with the lower pieces being upgradeable to 840 at the cost of order resources.
Standard world quests rewards max out at ilevel 835 (with a small chance to be warforged or titanforged).
Heroic dungeons have 825 gear, Mythic 840, LFR (which opens next week) 835.
Crafted armor can get as high as 850, but it is very expensive/time consuming to do as you have to utilize obliterium and bop crafting regents (which are also required to get obliterium if you making it yourself). So, based on what I am reading, class armor is the easiest/most reliable way to get to some 840 ilevel gear. The worst part being 1 piece requiring exalted faction with Nightfallen.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

The way gearing is set up now, do world quests for all the gear and the daily faction gear quest. Over time the better drop odds raise as your ilevels raise. My friend just got a 860ilevel drop from a 840ilevel world quest.

Inside of about 2 weeks you should be 825 or higher, just doing world quests. I am 835 right now and its because I haven't opened up my third artifact slot and rng hates me. i have run 1 heroic and no mythics.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Got my DH up to 110 just before the nerf bat hit :(. But I'm going to have to do dungeons this time and I don't see how I can be very good with a Havoc DH in 5 mans so back to the Fire Mage I go.
Black Lives Matter
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I also got my Demon Hunter to 110. Since then I have been playing with many toons and doing much old content. I renewed my subscription about a month before Legion went live for two main reasons: 1. Because I was curious about the new expansion; and 2. Because I wanted to reminisce.

But my primary reason for playing WoW or any other game is to have fun. So I will do whatever I think will be the most fun whether it is what the developers want me as a player to do or not.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I agree. I resubbed a couple months before Legion, because I had a couple time cards I had bought at a discount and never used. But I've had more fun leveling alts and doing the content I missed then the most recent stuff. I've been more frustrated with my main since he's hit 110 than any of the time getting him there. So I go fish, or get Daenor flying, or that serpent mount, or whatever else catches my eye. I've only run a few dungeons because of quests, and I couldn't tell you what my iLvl is at the moment. I'd love to get into raiding again, but that won't happen. So I'll dabble until it isn't fun any more. For now, it's fun.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lorini wrote:Got my DH up to 110 just before the nerf bat hit :(. But I'm going to have to do dungeons this time and I don't see how I can be very good with a Havoc DH in 5 mans so back to the Fire Mage I go.
I wouldn't worry about it in 5mans. I honestly think the differences are so small it only matters at the highest levels of raiding. But if you think your Havoc is squishy, I only use my DH for quests and farming and do it as Veng. It is practically invincible and I can pull tons of mobs, tank anything and have no down time.

Like Baroquen said, play whats fun and stop when it isnt anymore.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm running into several major annoyances with this expansion - having to maintain 2 currencies (class hall resources and ancient mana); professions gated behind dozens of quests; and most importantly - gating non-raiding progress behind group content.

I started playing in Wrath of Lich King expansion, literally about a month before dungeon finder functionality was introduced. I did not run a single group instance prior to that point, since I'm very anti-social when it comes to my video gaming and last thing I want is to try and talk people into letting me join their groups. I briefly raided with a guild in end-WotLK and early Cata, until I got completely burned out on it (and we only really raided once a week...most guilds demand 2-3 night commitment, and I work on weeknights, so any raiding guild right now is 100% out).

Starting with Legion, Blizzard seems to have serious second thoughts on auto-group functionality that has been in place for almost 7 years now. Storyline/Loremaster and some class hall content is now gated behind mythic dungeons that do NOT allow grouping in dungeon finder. People right now tend to invite only players that either overgear the content or happen to be OP simply due to class imbalance. Which is precisely the stuff that I've been able to avoid up until now.

Artifact appearances is now officially gated behind normal+ raiding (no raid finder). Granted, it's only cosmetic, and I don't care about that, but that makes me worry about the next thing that they will put into non-LFR raids.

Once I get my DPS toons geared to at least 830, I'll start figuring out mythic dungeons, but right now gearing is another thing that's pretty incompatible with how I play the game. I'm trying to get professions going on alts because a) I want to unlock obliterum forge, and b) I want to make some gold selling items for the "Trial by Fel Fire" quest that unlock the obliterum forge. But the profession progression for me goes like this:

- Run half a dozen time-consuming but easy quests all over the map to learn the basic patterns.
- Get a dungeon quest. Are you a tank or healer? Great, you get near-instant queues. Are you DPS? Stay in queue for 20-40 minutes, plus dungeon time.
- You completed the quest! Great! Now here's another quest for your 2nd profession that also involves getting into a dungeon. Possibly same one.
- Now you get a quest to get mats from another profession (i.e. plants for a blacksmith). Switch characters to mail yourself some plants, while you're at it, send some follower missions. Realize that you're out of class hall resources. Your next class hall campaign mission will take 14 (20, 36) hours, so may as well get it started now before you forget. Fly out for world quests, collect enough resources to last a couple of days.
- Switch back to your first character, realize that your next quest progression is locked behind Nightfallen rep. You need ancient mana to do withered army training. Collect mana, do the scenario, get another quest to get into a dungeon that you've done TWICE TODAY.

Just shoot me.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow... SOOOOOO annoying playing at max level. Dying constantly, and frustratingly. And I'm paying for this? Yeah... if this keeps up, I won't resub. /grumble grumble
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Baroquen wrote:Wow... SOOOOOO annoying playing at max level. Dying constantly, and frustratingly. And I'm paying for this? Yeah... if this keeps up, I won't resub. /grumble grumble
What class are you playing?
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Baroquen wrote:Wow... SOOOOOO annoying playing at max level. Dying constantly, and frustratingly. And I'm paying for this? Yeah... if this keeps up, I won't resub. /grumble grumble
I had the same frustration at 110 at first - I died a LOT. Suramar was the worst, I almost gave up and switched to an alt.

Do some World Quests for gear upgrades. It's amazing how much more powerful I became and how much less often I died once i upped my gear iLVL about 20 points.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Also curious as to what class/spec you playing. I experienced the same thing on my fury warrior. It was horrible and sad. At 109 I was kicking decent butt in a certain zone. I hit 110 and do a world quest in the same location I had just previously quested in and I got destroyed by 3 mobs that a few hours early I cut down without breaking a sweat. It really is frustrating and, as I mentioned before, probably one of the worst "features" you can have in a rpg game..get less powerful as you get better gear/abilities/etc.
After dying there, I was more careful, but still engaged a rare (which previous rares gave me no problem) and I died super fast. I switched to protection spec, and engaged the rare again and was full health at the end (even though it took a little longer to kill it). I never looked back. Until this last patch that is, where they basically decimated my ability to generate rage. Now I get to deal with another horrible feature in an RPG, where you can't use hardly any of your spenders because it takes forever to build up your resource. It like the devs lost sight of the ultimate goal of any game and stopped asking themselves "Is this fun?" when they are making the game.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Exodor wrote:
I had the same frustration at 110 at first - I died a LOT. Suramar was the worst, I almost gave up and switched to an alt.

Do some World Quests for gear upgrades. It's amazing how much more powerful I became and how much less often I died once i upped my gear iLVL about 20 points.
And what class are you maining pray tell? :)
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Toe wrote:I experienced the same thing on my fury warrior. It was horrible and sad.
Great... this makes me want to quit trying to level my Fury Warrior from 85 (through Mists and Warlords) to get to the high-level content. At the moment, I am leveling a Warlock (at level 30 now) and thinking about other alts that I might want to use that big and shiny level 100 boost on (it just seems silly to use it on the warrior and skip two expansions worth of content).

I guess I COULD not worry about getting up to level 60 to use the level boost, but I did want to get the profession benefits for doing so. Anyone have any thoughts on speed leveling? I equipped my alts with the heirloom armor that gives them the exp boost (well, the ones that do not require Guild vendor to do so, anyway). Also, anyone have any ideas for fun magic-based classes (since my main is a warrior)? So far I am having trouble picking between Druid, Hunter, and Warlock. The Pally and Death Knight feel a little too close to the warrior to be decent alts. I also have a mage, but I did not click with him before the massive skill and talent changes (too many spells to choose from). Now he seems much easier to jump into (I have to say that I love the skill and talent streamlining, even if I miss the talent tree and its granularity).
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The way professions work in Legion there really isn't a lot of benefit to being at max level anymore. You get rankings now in professions and starting from 1 is not that big of a deal.
Black Lives Matter
Toe

Post by Toe »

baelthazar wrote:
Toe wrote: Also, anyone have any ideas for fun magic-based classes (since my main is a warrior)? So far I am having trouble picking between Druid, Hunter, and Warlock. The Pally and Death Knight feel a little too close to the warrior to be decent alts. I also have a mage, but I did not click with him before the massive skill and talent changes (too many spells to choose from). Now he seems much easier to jump into (I have to say that I love the skill and talent streamlining, even if I miss the talent tree and its granularity).
I really did not care for the changes they did to demonology warlock. It just takes too much time to get stuff going anymore. I changed him to affliction and like it better even though its boiled back down to throw on 3 DoTs while pet it tanking and using 1-2 other spells during the fight. Hunter, not a huge fan of beastmaster spec changes, so tried a recommended leveling spec from icy veins of marksman spec with no pet. Not really liking that too much so might switch back to beastmaster on him, although I did I try the survival spec which is really different (melee instead of ranged) so might pick that back up cause it is so different. Druid, not done much with so can't comment on that. I mainly go cat feral on him as I enjoy stealthing around.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lorini wrote:The way professions work in Legion there really isn't a lot of benefit to being at max level anymore. You get rankings now in professions and starting from 1 is not that big of a deal.
Do you not have to grind the harvesting of low-level resources to get up to the higher levels? I am not sure I understand the changes, because they look weird to me.
Toe

Post by Toe »

baelthazar wrote:
Lorini wrote:The way professions work in Legion there really isn't a lot of benefit to being at max level anymore. You get rankings now in professions and starting from 1 is not that big of a deal.
Do you not have to grind the harvesting of low-level resources to get up to the higher levels? I am not sure I understand the changes, because they look weird to me.
The last expansion they introduced methods for professions to level up without having to go back and collect low-level resources. For mining, for example, you could start mining the new ore in the last expansion at profession level 1. You would get a mining skill-up from the ore node, but instead of harvesting 2-3 pieces of ore, you would get a few fragments of ore that would combine (like 10 fragments) to a full piece of ore. All of the professions (I believe) had similar catch-up mechanics put in place. They carried that over to this expansion as well for the most part. I think some guides still might direct you to level up to 700 via the previous expansion as opposed to starting in Legion.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread right away.

My main since probably WotLK has been my priest. I used to heal, but not since my WoW sabbaticals. So he's shadow now, which was fine for leveling. At 110, it's exactly what you all mentioned which is the max level/crappy equipment rut. I know it, but it still was frustrating. Still is, at times. So I went to some alts, and went back and cleared some pet battle stuff, and added in some fishing. All good. But yeah, better gear will help. Not a huge fan of the gear treadmill though.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I hit revered with all the major factions over the weekend, which was one goal I had for myself. Now working to get exalted with 3 factions for blacksmith recipes. Nightfallen faction is relatively easy, with Highmountain and Stormhelm going to take longer. My plan is to make me a set of tank armor with my main stats so I need to keep making each slot till it gets the stats on it I want. Once I get the stats on each piece I want, then I start working on making obliterium, needing 7 for each slot to upgrade them from 815 to 850. In order to minimize materials used, I need to get the rank 3 recipes from the factions above before I can start the process as well as a ton of blood of sargeras (need 100 just to apply the 50 obliteriums, and a lot more to get the 50 obliteriums). Can't get rank 3 recipe for one slot due to needing rated battleground win to get (seriously?).

Other than that, I am soloing heroic Throne of Thunder every week to get a shield from final boss I really want for transmog, and a cloak from ulduarr.

My deathknight is 103 now. Just playing him when I run out of world quests on my main and to gather herbs for potions/quests. I need to get one of my leatherworkers moving as sometimes the trade world quests (that reward blood of sargeras) needs them.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Still playing pretty regularly but I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Got my warrior up to item level 858, doing world quests and making/upgrading crafted armor. Also completed the pathfinder part 1 portion of the achievement that will eventually allow flying in Legion. I am just mainly logging him in to do the daily world quest in an attempt to get a legendary (not got one yet). Been slowing working on my profession alts. My demon hunter is 105, DK is 106, and got my warlock to 110 a few days ago, been working on his profession quest lines (enchanting/tailoring).
I feel like I am being left behind with all the focus on mythic content. Karazhan (which is mythic-only) opened up recently and requires completing mythic 5-mans first in order to access. My guild is dead and I just can't seem to work up the effort to join pre-made groups for stuff. I kinda painted myself into a corner in terms of class/spec. All most gear is mainly for protection spec, so if I am to do a mythic, i really should be tanking, which I am hesitant to do since I have only done maybe 1-2 heroics as DPSer and no mythics.
Also, I really don't like the rush mechanic Blizzard seems to be focusing on with 5-mans. The mythic keystone system as well as an optional boss in the new Karazhan require groups to "go go go!". Never really been my style of play. Not sure how long I resubscribed for, but will probably go ahead and cancel for now as I did either 6 months or 1 year when i resubbed for legion.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Toe wrote:Still playing pretty regularly but I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Got my warrior up to item level 858, doing world quests and making/upgrading crafted armor. Also completed the pathfinder part 1 portion of the achievement that will eventually allow flying in Legion. I am just mainly logging him in to do the daily world quest in an attempt to get a legendary (not got one yet). Been slowing working on my profession alts. My demon hunter is 105, DK is 106, and got my warlock to 110 a few days ago, been working on his profession quest lines (enchanting/tailoring).
I feel like I am being left behind with all the focus on mythic content. Karazhan (which is mythic-only) opened up recently and requires completing mythic 5-mans first in order to access. My guild is dead and I just can't seem to work up the effort to join pre-made groups for stuff. I kinda painted myself into a corner in terms of class/spec. All most gear is mainly for protection spec, so if I am to do a mythic, i really should be tanking, which I am hesitant to do since I have only done maybe 1-2 heroics as DPSer and no mythics.
Also, I really don't like the rush mechanic Blizzard seems to be focusing on with 5-mans. The mythic keystone system as well as an optional boss in the new Karazhan require groups to "go go go!". Never really been my style of play. Not sure how long I resubscribed for, but will probably go ahead and cancel for now as I did either 6 months or 1 year when i resubbed for legion.
Wow. This is exactly where I am right now, including almost the same exact ilevel. Got Pathfinder, got Kara attuned, playing for a legendary, etc, but really hate the direction and emphasis on Mythics. I get it and don't think it's a bad decision, but it's not for me. I am too casual now to stress a run. I've leveled 2 tanks to 110 as well to have them as an option. Thought about working on alts and professions, but I feel like I should be advancing my main.

This is the part where if I feel even remotely stressed by the game it's time to take a break. I'm not there yet, but probably close. The funny part is if I was paying, I would have stopped already, but with almost 2M gold, i can pretty much play free indefinitely.

Toe, our guild is pretty casual, but we have a once a week normal raid and run some 5mans if you ever wanted to hop over to WW.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jag wrote:
Toe, our guild is pretty casual, but we have a once a week normal raid and run some 5mans if you ever wanted to hop over to WW.
So, can't people group up with B-tag friends now? So couldn't he group without switching servers? Or heck, couldn't we find some OOers to make a group or most of one? Or did I misunderstand some of their recent marketing talk?

I'm still enjoying the assorted secondary tracks (professions, pets, mounts, alts, etc.) so I'm not quite burned out yet. But I miss the dungeon/raiding days. And while I did get the "Patient" title, back in the day, I don't think I can put up with PUGs as much now. So I suspect I'll get to where you two are, sooner rather than later.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Toe wrote:I feel like I am being left behind with all the focus on mythic content. Karazhan (which is mythic-only) opened up recently and requires completing mythic 5-mans first in order to access. My guild is dead and I just can't seem to work up the effort to join pre-made groups for stuff.
I'm in the same boat, my highest ilvl is 840, so running a mythic would mean an hour or more of either being constantly declined for groups or trying to make my own, having tanks and healers join, look at my ilvl and leave. I tried it once, canceled it after about 10 minutes. I haven't felt comfortable trying to tank or heal them yet, it's too stressful even running some heroics, I really want to get my ilvl higher (which is a catch-22 of its own, I can't get better gear without running harder content, unless I get some unbelievable luck with world quest drops...ha!) I'll need to look at what my professions can craft.

I don't think I'll be attempting Kara until a couple of patches down the line, when everyone is above 870 or so. I read that the mechanics are really unforgiving and are really meant for organized groups. The attunement is a moot point until I can comfortably get into mythic runs. But I really need to figure that out, unless I just give up on the rest of this expansion, since I now have profession quests or class hall campaigns that have hit that "wall", where I can't progress it without completing some sort of mythic dungeon quest. It's very obnoxious.

If anyone ever wants to join up and run something, my b-tag is Mathaylla#1399.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Baroquen wrote:
Jag wrote:
So, can't people group up with B-tag friends now? So couldn't he group without switching servers? Or heck, couldn't we find some OOers to make a group or most of one? Or did I misunderstand some of their recent marketing talk?

I'm still enjoying the assorted secondary tracks (professions, pets, mounts, alts, etc.) so I'm not quite burned out yet. But I miss the dungeon/raiding days. And while I did get the "Patient" title, back in the day, I don't think I can put up with PUGs as much now. So I suspect I'll get to where you two are, sooner rather than later.
You totally can, but it's easier when people are already chatting in gchat.