Starting WoW in 2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Starting WoW in 2016

Post by Skinypupy »

My computer randomly shut down on me 4 times in two hours yesterday. No warning, and no consistency in when or why it happens. I'll be mid-dungeon, mid-battle, or just running to a quest and...whoomp, the whole system just shuts down.

Gonna have to put WoW on the back burner until I can either figure out a solution or get a new system. Random system shutdowns aren't exactly conducive to multiplayer gaming. WoW is the only game this happens with...I played other games (both MMO and off-line) for 4 hours last night without a single hiccup. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I forget if this was already discussed in this thread (and am far too lazy to go look), but that really sounds like your video card or processor is overheating. I can see the game crashing due to something in the code (same with a mod), but for your entire pc to shut off? That sounds system level. Overheating has caused that to happen to me in the past (my fans on my video card decided they only wanted to run sometimes).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 pm I forget if this was already discussed in this thread (and am far too lazy to go look), but that really sounds like your video card or processor is overheating. I can see the game crashing due to something in the code (same with a mod), but for your entire pc to shut off? That sounds system level. Overheating has caused that to happen to me in the past (my fans on my video card decided they only wanted to run sometimes).
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an overheating issue as well. Problem is, it only happens with WoW, which seems to indicate that something specific about how that game is coded is causing things to overheat. Not sure how to address that, since Blizzard doesn't seem to have any answers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you tried the nuclear option? Lower every setting, turn off every bit of eye candy, turn on vertical sync. Play for a while (or, if you prefer, hang out AFK in Orgrimmar/Stormwind for a while) and see if it still happens.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well I'm in the Alpha for Battle of Azeroth. Just before I'm getting ready to start Ni No Kuni 2. I haven't played seriously since Warlords so this should be interesting. You don't need a sub to play in the Alpha which is surprising and nice. I don't know how much play I'll get in but if people want to see a stream of it I could probably do it.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:37 pm Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an overheating issue as well. Problem is, it only happens with WoW, which seems to indicate that something specific about how that game is coded is causing things to overheat. Not sure how to address that, since Blizzard doesn't seem to have any answers.
There was something I seem to remember years ago with StarCraft 2 and how video cards were turning into slag. I think it had something to do with the menu system not having a framerate cap on it so some video cards were trying to render the menu screen in a way that was overheating them. I believe it was quickly recognized as being a problem and a patch was released. I suspect then something similar is happening with your system - see if you can limit the frames to 60 or something in the options menu.

Hasn't been a listed problem since 2012 in WoW, but who knows...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve got a new gaming PC coming this week. Might give it another shot after I get through a few “eye candy” games (FF XV will be up first).
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I don't know how far you've leveled, but the Wanderers moved over to Area 52. While we aren't very active right now, I'm sure it will pick up with the expansion.

Also, anyone is welcome to friend me and/or shoot a group invite.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog