Steam Controller and Link

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Steam Controller and Link

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thought I would start a separate thread about this instead of continuing the OT discussion a while back in the Steam Deals thread.

Here are my thoughts about the controller before I bought it, from the Steam thread:

"My hope is that for someone like me, who generally hates the lack of accuracy of a console controller, that this will solve that issue. I've read so many reviews of the controller, and the overall vibe I got was that people either love it or hate it.

I also got the feeling that people that don't like it were consolers primarily, trying to switch and use a non Xbox, non PS3/4 type controller. Probably like me trying to switch to a console controller after so many years of KB + mouse. I'm just never going to get used to it (because it feels like such a...downgrade in accuracy I think)

Anyway, I bought both (note that Amazon has this for the same price, so if you have Prime...it's a better deal), so I hope it meets expectations!"

Well, I am happy to report that my hope came true. It definitely solves the accuracy issue I have with console controllers, and while it's not the most comfortable to hold for long periods of time, it's fine. Link works great as long as it's a wired connection. I did try using my wifi and it was pretty bad.

I have not even gotten into customizing it for games, (which I have read REALLY amps up the quality of the experience), or downloading others' user profiles of games, so I look forward to that. I played through the entire remastered version of Day of the Tentacle using the controller, and it worked beautifully.

If like me, you were raised on keyboard and mouse for gaming, and never felt you "got" console gaming because of the controller, I highly recommend you try this. I am just amazed they got the feel of KB + mouse as close as they did on the first gen product! Kudos, really, for that.

I should also note that I can play certain games on console, just fine - any Lego game, Little Big Planet, any racing game. But when I play something like Metal Gear, or Uncharted, or Red Dead Redemption, forget about it. I'm worthless, and it just doesn't feel right. Too sloppy.
dbt1949

Re: Steam Controller and Link

Post by dbt1949 »

What's is the Link?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

dbt1949 wrote:What's is the Link?

Steam Link is a box about the size of a deck of cards that lets you stream Steam games from your primary PC across your home network to a TV elsewhere in your house. Works best with wired ethernet, but can do ok with the faster types of WiFi.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

wonderpug wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:What's is the Link?

Steam Link is a box about the size of a deck of cards that lets you stream Steam games from your primary PC across your home network to a TV elsewhere in your house. Works best with wired ethernet, but can do ok with the faster types of WiFi.
I'd say its closer to the size of sandwich or maybe a 200-page paperback book..

FWIW - I bought the Link and the Steam Controller in the last sale and also really like it. I can connect it to all the PC's with Steam running that are on the home network. You can select the host machine from the interface when you launch the Link. So, my kids can also link it to their games running from their machines, if they wish to play on the big screen. Mine works fine on my 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Its only about 35 feet away and the Steam Link supports 2x2 transmit/receive channels. My PC end is a wired connection, so results may vary if both ends are using the wireless or if you have a slower Wi-Fi setup.

I'm still not sure about the controller. I have an odd grip because of a messed up right hand (old injury and missing a finger). So I tend to accidentally trigger the (underside) fingertip button on the right side. I also need to mess with custom profiles to see if I can adjust better for the replacement of the left D-switch and the right thumbstick with touchpads.

Played so far:

Grim Dawn - works fine, but I like this better at higher resolution on the desktop monitor vs. 1080p on my TV. So its not really the Steam Link/Controller that is the issue.

Rebel Galaxy - works great, started with keyboard/mouse on the PC and then quickly switched to X360 controller for the first half. Finished the 2nd half with Link/Controller on the big screen and it was great fun.

Tomb Raider (2013) - I'm 75% in replaying this before buying the new one, all has been on the big TV using the Link. I'm loving it. I did the first 25% with the Steam controller, but have switched to using the X360 PC/USB wired controller (plugged into the Link). The lack of right thumbstick was badly hampering my simultaneous move/aim in tough combats. I'm sure it would work better if I adjusted the sensitivity on the track pad and made sure it was operating in (thumbstick) analog mode where it gave more inputs closer to the edge of the pad. I may try that.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I ended up buying me the controller from Amazon but don't feel I need the Link.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Grim Dawn - works fine, but I like this better at higher resolution on the desktop monitor vs. 1080p on my TV. So its not really the Steam Link/Controller that is the issue.
Sounds like someone is in the market for a new 4K TV! :D (me as well).
I imagine streaming at that resolution will require a wired connection, though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I need to add home networking to my list of home projects. Luckily, the house was wired for speakers, so I should be able to trace the blue wires from the ceiling plate locations to the main output panel, and just run the appropriate wires to a down-wall location for the proper new plates.

Still crawling around in the attic sounds like a winter* project.

*Winter in Texas is subject to terms, conditions, and may not be available in all calendar years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I got both of them right and release and am pretty with them. I run mine wired . . . I have a hub in the living room, because I have 6 different things plugged in.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote: Grim Dawn - works fine, but I like this better at higher resolution on the desktop monitor vs. 1080p on my TV. So its not really the Steam Link/Controller that is the issue.
Sounds like someone is in the market for a new 4K TV! :D (me as well).
I imagine streaming at that resolution will require a wired connection, though.
I don't think the Link currently supports resolutions above 1080p. But it would be great if it did. Then I would certainly wish for a rig that would do all of that (including the 4K TV).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

REDDIT looks like it has great information for using the Steam controller. I definitely need to try some custom setups. I didn't even know the think had a gryo mouse function. Note: the REDDIT Steam Controller wiki is linked from that page and that's where the best info is.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Update on play experiences:

Sleeping Dogs - definitely seeing some control issues coming from input delays. I need to get a 50' Ethernet cable to see if the direct connect will fix it when using the Link; I'm assuming it is due to Wi-Fi. All I know is that it works fine played directly on the PC. I was getting my ass handed to me in fights and thought the game was glitched as hell. Then I tried it locally, without the link, and everything was quite playable.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Update on play experiences:

Sleeping Dogs - definitely seeing some control issues coming from input delays. I need to get a 50' Ethernet cable to see if the direct connect will fix it when using the Link; I'm assuming it is due to Wi-Fi. All I know is that it works fine played directly on the PC. I was getting my ass handed to me in fights and thought the game was glitched as hell. Then I tried it locally, without the link, and everything was quite playable.
Is your PC and the Steam link both connected through wifi?

From the Steam link discussion board, there are some users that did some test and found problem when both Steam link and the PC use wifi, but no problem when one of them use ethernet cable.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/di ... 159130205/
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My PC is wired. The link is Wi-Fi. I've ordered a 50' Ethernet cable so I can test with both wired.

That's a good article, though. I already have it on 802.11ac for both the 5Ghz band and for throughput. My Wi-Fi WAP firmware is already current and I have one of the best available on the market. I should get a Wi-Fi scanner application for my phone and check on the channel interference. That seems the most likely issue right now. It could also be that Sleeping Dogs is just sensitive to control lag.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you want a link, you can get one for $1 with purchase of Icey.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I jumped in on the Fall sale and grabbed a link for a whopping $5.00 (steam cards paid for it!) (plus $7 for shipping). It finally arrived yesterday. It's very nicely packaged and comes with a flat HDMI cable, ethernet cable and power adapters for Europe/etc. I got $5 worth of cables out of so off to a good start :) I bought it so I did not have to run a HDMI cable across my office/game room to play PC games on the TV. Wife is happier with less cables! I figured for $12 it was worth a shot and cheaper than a 25' cable. It was a breeze to setup, just plug it in and follow the prompts. Up and going in less than 3 mins. I am playing wired on both sides and it performed fine. I played 3 games of Rocket League and it looked a little muddy/hazey (probably more my TV than the link) but I had zero lag or stuttering. Very pleased and it will make Coop with family easier and more fun. I can also see me playing certain games more now that I can kick it in my recliner. I'm going to try Wifi on the link side in the main living room this weekend to see how viable that is. Good purchase and a steal at that price.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

You can also use Virtual Here for Steam Link for using other USB devices (keyboard/mouse).
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

morlac wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am I played 3 games of Rocket League and it looked a little muddy/hazey (probably more my TV than the link) but I had zero lag or stuttering.
the Link does video compression, so that's the reason why. try changing the graphics options to 'Beautiful' and see if you get any lag.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Yep, that did it. Much better, still no lag. :)
Montag

Post by Montag »

The newer Samsung smart TVs have a Steam App that works natively with the TV. Tested it briefly and it worked.
words