Project Highrise - Skyscraper Construction & Management Sim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Project Highrise - Skyscraper Construction & Management

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote: For this reason I would suggest that new players do a couple of scenarios first, rather than jumping into the sandbox mode.
I don't know about that. I haven't even looked at the scenarios, just went from the tutorial to the sandbox. It seems to me that futzing around in the sandbox is a good way to learn some of the more important mechanics in the game before tackling something more complex.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just wanted to mention that I work in Chicago's Merchandise Mart.

'Dwarfed only by the Pentagon'
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm waiting for someone to use this in a mod:

The rent slider for individual tennants needs a finer gradation. The global slider allows you to reduce rent in multiples of 10. The individual slider should do the same, instead of 25.

Someone just posted a very nice wall-mounted TV with a newscaster and the developers went ahead and animated it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Version 1.0.3 update has been released, all patch notes in spoiler tags below.
Spoiler:
Project Highrise™ Release Notes

Copyright © 2016 SomaSim

*** Version 1.0.3 (September 10 2016)

Improvements
- Increased capacity of certain services
- Increased height caps in sandbox mode

Bug fixes
- Text fixes in multiple languages
- Fixed a bug where bulldozer tool had slightly different removal behavior
than clicking "evict or remove" button in the unit's dialog
- Fixed a bug with some decorations leaving behind boxes when they're removed
- Fixed a bug with 2-story plaza decorations leaving behind boxes that float in the air
- Fixed a bug with construction workers floating mid-air if you deleted the floor
around and underneath them, now they get snapped to the ground
- Fixed a bug with deleted floor tiles showing "destination unreachable" warnings
- Fixed a bug where broken elevators sometimes did not get fixed
- Fixed a bug where trash boxes sometimes did not get collected
- Fixed a bug where time like "4:30" would be displayed incorrectly sometimes
- Fixed a bug where some restaurant workers were not getting dinner and complaining
- Fixed several tuning problems with media campaigns
- Fixed a pricing discrepancy between 2BR and 2BR Lux apartments
- Fixed out of bounds pathing anchors in several restaurants and retail stores
- Fixed gourmet restaurant goal not accepting seafood restaurant
- Fixed requirements for finance HQ office requiring too many financial offices

*** Version 1.0.2 (September 8 2016)

Bug fixes
- Text fixes in multiple languages
- Steam: fix for game not getting past main menu, gibberish text showing in lower right corner
- Steam: added background image switcher for the preorder bonus background in the main menu

*** Version 1.0.1 (August 26 2016)

Improvements
- Added support for GOG Galaxy client
- Different main menu background for players who bought the preorder edition
- Updated "about" text

Bug fixes
- Fixed loc bug in Spanish
- Fixed feedback about overcrowded restaurants
- Fixed some services reporting work hours "0:00 - 0:00"
- Fixed unnecessary build ribbon highlights in two tutorials and four scenarios

*** Version 1.0.0 (August 22 2016)

Improvements
- Scenario tuning adjustments
- Some additional sound effects (different bulldoze sounds, etc)

Bug fixes
- UI fix for some scrollbars displaying incorrectly
- Fixed a bug with save files that included preorder content, if player disabled it
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Would it be so hard for them to list which certain services had their capacity increased?
Rip

Post by Rip »

In. I loved SimTower so this should be right up my alley.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:In. I loved SimTower so this should be right up my alley.

You won't like it. There's no bankruptcy option :P
Rip

Post by Rip »

tgb wrote:
Rip wrote:In. I loved SimTower so this should be right up my alley.

You won't like it. There's no bankruptcy option :P

:D

There is one thing I loved in SimTower that they abstract.

Elevator schedules/operations. I used to love working on where to put express elevators and deciding when to change waiting floors. Getting that schedule optimized. Then building some stuff and screwing it all up again. :wink:
dbouya

Post by dbouya »

Project highrise has a lot of things to build, but it doesn't end up feeling quite as dynamic as simtower. The things you can build only care about where they are placed in the most superficial of ways. An office might want to be near an elevator, but it will still get the happiness boost if the elevator doesn't go anywhere. People hate using three stairs, however they don't mind being forced to walk back and forth across floors to get to destinations. They don't get impatient slowly like in simtower, they just experience negative mood ticks from things like grime and stairs.

Stores and restaurants in high foot traffic areas will stay happy even as they make no money at all. Even service workers count as traffic though. So a store that maintence/support/service staff walk past constantly might stay happy while selling nothing to visitors.

It's a decent game, but the fact I still can get simtower or it's sequel "yoot's tower" to run on my machine hampers it some. I'm not sure mods will be able to fix the underlying shallowness of the things being simulated. Project highrise definitely has tons of cool things to build, and mods can add more, but after a while I start to wonder why it matters? Somehow having dozens of service staff instead of just 2or3 like in simtower has yielded a shallower experience for each of those services. There are so many services but I haven't experienced the tension of watching simtower maids or security guards once in the game.

Apartments are a lot less dynamic than a hotel would be, and project highrise doesn't feature a hotel. If services get overloaded you get a happiness debuff in an apartment or office. You can just build more copies of that service though for the next day and be fine. Nothing like cockroaches or bombs that I can see.

tl;dr in project highrise it can be optimal to place stairs and services and elevators in the worst possible locations, just to generate extra foot traffic to have more places to put restaurants and stores. missing elevators is a knock on effect to all the systems in the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played for 17 hours and am getting a bit burned out, however, I got my "one dollar per hour of gameplay" money's worth. I'm sure I'll be going back to it.

In the meantime, patch 1.0.4 dropped:
*** Version 1.0.4 (September 14 2016)

Improvements
- Enabled Steam Cloud syncing
- Added UI scaling below 100% (for displays smaller than 720p)
- Retuned higher-level tenants to make fewer service calls
- Initial construction office can now be removed, and placed elsewhere
(it shows up in the infrastructure build menu after bulldozing)

Bug fixes
- Fixed a bug with courier and copy center services not reporting correctly
- Fixed UI scaling selection not getting saved
- Fixed incorrect logging of "I can't get to where I need to go" feedback
- Fixed a bug with some gourmet restaurants not being counted in goals
- Fixed a bug with cleaner service causing navigation problems for workers
- Fixed incorrect rent pricing for studio apartments
- Fixed some incorrect animations for restaurant visitors
- Fixed the "+1 construction worker" upgrade getting undone if the player
bulldozed and rebuilt the expanded construction office
- Services will no longer consider themselves "overloaded" if only a small
number of service calls (<= 3) were not fulfilled
- Fixed achievements that were failing to register: the tutorials-related achievement,
and on Steam, two mods-related achievements
- Wording improvement: clarified placement requirements based on media campaigns
- Fixed inconsistency with "Exclusive Electricity" media campaign,
now power/water meters get discounted in addition to conduits and closets
- Fixed sports bar not getting counted as a large dinner restaurant in contracts
- Fixed some prestige inconsistencies
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the 1.0.5 patch is out.
Improvements
- Added a new graphics option to customize heatmap colors, for players with color blindness
- Added a hint mouseover that displays what a tenant is going to need after they moved in,
but before they start demanding it (see an icon "i", next to tenant's satisfaction smiley)
- Added a fast camera pan mode: CTRL + mouse wheel now pans the camera up and down
- Retuned worker and resident NPCs to patronize retail stores much more than they used to
- Retuned retail store revenues and limits, to account for the change in customer base
- Retuned restaurants and retail to be more sensitive to not generating enough profit

Bug fixes
- Fixed arrow keys so that they behave exactly like WASD, +/- behave like Q/E
- Fixed a bug where the budget popup would show up twice in a row, give double revenues
(This should also fix restaurants + retail incorrectly showing "0 customers yesterday")
- Fixed a problem with media campaign "Call in a Favor" not unlocking an extra contract
- Fixed broken achievements for 5 and 10 scenario gold medals
- Fixed a bug where floor tiles would remain unfinished forever, if you destroyed
the construction office while construction workers were finishing them
- Fixed art gallery consultants incorrectly demanding utilities
- Fixed a bug where construction grid was displayed mis-aligned after a height upgrade
- Fixed loan repayment so it will show up in reports as a one-time expense not a daily one
- Fixed a bug where a mis-timed renovation could bring the player's cash amount below $0
- Fixed the renovation button to very clearly gray out if a renovation was already scheduled
- Fixed a display bug where a new scenario would briefly show incorrect cash amount at startup
- Steam: fixed the game becoming unresponsive after a problem connecting to the Steam Client
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And another update:

Announcing 1.2.0 - the "Petronas Towers" update!
*** Version 1.2.0 (November 9, 2016)

New Additions

Skybridges. You can now place a skybridge that connects two towers. Skybridge tiles can contain decorations and furniture, and carry utilities, but cannot be leased to tenants.

Cantilevered floor. You can place a floor that extends up to four tiles beyond existing floor immediately below.

Improvements

When placing utilities, hold down SHIFT to auto-fill an entire empty floor (the floor needs to have an existing closet, already hooked up to the rest of the network)

Bug fixes

"New Game" dialog now remembers the last-chosen sandbox difficulty level and lot size
Fixed the custodial room showing a "services full" or "unhappy" notifs
Fixed a bug where removing a storage room assigned to a retail store did not reduce the store's happiness.
Fixed a bug with small plaza tiles not showing up after placement

And if you're enjoying this update along with our previous updates, we'd really appreciate a review!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I happen to have an extra key for this from Humble Bundle. Does anyone want it? I will need a Steam ID, I believe.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote:I happen to have an extra key for this from Humble Bundle. Does anyone want it? I will need a Steam ID, I believe.
I have this game and can recommend it, especially since I last posted there have been several updates that have added more content. It's a fun game for the more creative types out there.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

If nobody else has jumped on it, I wouldn't mind giving it a try. My steam id is the same- gbasden.

Thank you!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

baelthazar wrote:I happen to have an extra key for this from Humble Bundle. Does anyone want it? I will need a Steam ID, I believe.
When you select Redeem as Gift, you can just send the recipient the link that is provided. Don't think you'll need a Steam ID.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote:If nobody else has jumped on it, I wouldn't mind giving it a try. My steam id is the same- gbasden.

Thank you!
Missed it by that >< much. Ok maybe that >............< much but with CivVI being shelved for now, I'm looking for something but at $20 this will wait.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LM, I should have a license from the latest monthly HumbleBundle. I should be able to hook you up.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:wub: :wub: :wub:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Installing now. Will pay it forward eventually. :wub:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Playing the first scenario, it's slow moving so far and looks to be small scope, so I'm very glad you gave it to me TheMix, so far it feels like at $10 I might have still been disappointed.

Of course I'm not very far into the game it might later feel like there's an ecosystem to build in a sky rise.

What is good, is that I can play while doing my exercises after work. I can set the game to slow, pedal for ten minutes, essentially just waiting for the day to turn, do something trivial and then pedal for ten minutes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This game pretty much took over my weekend - way more fun than I thought it would be. If you have it sitting untouched and enjoy Sim games, definitely fire it up - there's a lot going on, but it has enough variety to keep it all very interesting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I've got an extra key for this still available if anyone wants it!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'll take it unless someone more worthy wants it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:This game pretty much took over my weekend - way more fun than I thought it would be. If you have it sitting untouched and enjoy Sim games, definitely fire it up - there's a lot going on, but it has enough variety to keep it all very interesting.
That was not the case for me. It pretty much mapped itself out as a game in the first scenario. I was hoping there would be an entire skyscraper ecosystem in there but that doesn't seem the be the case.

OtOH, I can relax to watching it play. Each day takes about a twenty four minutes in real time and I need to do some sort of exercise for a half hour a day, so I can pedal on a bike for about two days with minimal playing and just watching the game do its thing.

I'm thankful TheMix gifted me a copy. Even at $10, I would have felt let down with this effort and not discovered I was let down until well after the return policy was voided. (As if I'd really return a game anyway.)

Still it's a nice screen saver to watch for the time being while I mindless pedal but don't go anywhere.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ran into a problem and did not see it on the Steam forums. I have two offices that are not happy and say they need electricity, yet there is plenty of capacity AND I confirmed the lines are working and connected. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen? It's not the first time, so wondering if it's a bug...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Ran into a problem and did not see it on the Steam forums. I have two offices that are not happy and say they need electricity, yet there is plenty of capacity AND I confirmed the lines are working and connected. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen? It's not the first time, so wondering if it's a bug...
Nope, never had this bug or recall it being mentioned. Got a screenshot?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Ran into a problem and did not see it on the Steam forums. I have two offices that are not happy and say they need electricity, yet there is plenty of capacity AND I confirmed the lines are working and connected. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen? It's not the first time, so wondering if it's a bug...
Nope. And definitely not more than once.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

User error - office tenant shows he is unhappy, but when I click on the "i" for info (hoping it will tell me WHY he is unhappy), it shows: "Tenant needs electrical line connected" or something to that effect. I think it says that for tenants that are happy as well, so I guess it's just a requirements screen and not a place to find out their current thoughts.

Edit: I am REALLY digging this game! Thanks again, WP. Scratches a Them Hospital like itch I have had for some time. I do wish there was more of a campaign, and a little more depth, but having a blast as is.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More details on the new expansion, Project Highrise: Las Vegas, available April 13th according to their Facebook news feed.
Get ready to go “all in” and join the cutthroat world of Las Vegas’ high-rolling resort moguls. Create a getaway destination for the mid-century elite, an oasis of decadence in the Nevada desert. Keep hotel guests pampered and comfortable in sleek suites with gourmet room service. Add glitzy casinos, posh nightclubs and book the hottest performers to draw in the crowds. In Project Highrise: Las Vegas the glamorous era of Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack becomes the backdrop as you seek to build Sin City’s next sensation.

Features
  • Casinos – Entice people to come and part with their hard-earned money in style, with all new casinos.
  • Hotels – Why do your visitors need to leave at all? Keep the business travellers and high-rollers rolling through, with rooms of all sizes that fit every need - but be sure to keep them happy as your ratings depend on it!
  • Events & Shows – Bring in the best show in town, and attract crowds of happy visitors... and their wallets. Have them come in for the show, but stay for the food and the games.
  • VIPs – Invite rock stars, comedians, or business gurus to come and perform at your venue – but just don’t expect them to come for free! The bigger the celebrity, the bigger the demands.
  • Evolved Gameplay – Experience how the new location challenges your building skills, from new type of Air Conditioning utility, to special service elevators, NPCs, and more.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nothing says classy highrise than having a Hooters!

Enlarge Image
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:Nothing says classy development house more than blatant product placement!
Mortooned.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Nothing says classy development house more than blatant product placement!
Mortooned.
???

By the way, that's not an official Hooters thing, that's a fan mod from the Steam Workshop.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The building version of a no pants mod.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zarathud wrote:The building version of a no pants mod.
They also have a McDonald's and a Tim Horton's in the Workshop. Are they also no pants mods?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

jztemple2 wrote:
Zarathud wrote:The building version of a no pants mod.
They also have a McDonald's and a Tim Horton's in the Workshop. Are they also no pants mods?
You have to install the visible bathroom mod and give the sim people a few hours after eating.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
:whistle: .... Star Deal .. Project Highrise ... $8.99 .. Limited Time / Limited Keys (ends in 17.5 hrs)

Does not unlock in 3rd world countries
Spoiler:
Region-locked game -This Product will NOT activate in the following regions:

Bahamas; Panama; Belize; Costa Rica; El Salvador; Guatemala; Honduras; Nicaragua; Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of; Colombia; Guyana; Suriname; French Guiana; Brazil; Peru; Bolivia, Plurinational State of; Paraguay; Uruguay; Argentina; Chile; Ecuador; Russian Federation; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Georgia; Kazakhstan; Kyrgyzstan; Moldova, Republic of; Tajikistan; Turkmenistan; Uzbekistan; Ukraine; China. Trump Tower

OK, I added the last one

$19.99 on STEAM
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Re: Project Highrise - Skyscraper Construction & Management Sim

Post by jztemple2 »

Been a long time... just a reminder, the basic game and all three DLC are on sale on Steam for a couple more days. I going back to give it some more play time as a break from getting constantly trounced in PUBG.
Carpet_pissr

Re: Project Highrise - Skyscraper Construction & Management Sim

Post by Carpet_pissr »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 pm Been a long time... just a reminder, the basic game and all three DLC are on sale on Steam for a couple more days. I going back to give it some more play time as a break from getting constantly trounced in PUBG.
Thanks, love this game. In! I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy puttering around in it and failing for the most part! :D