Afghanistan '11

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Afghanistan '11

Post by tgb »

Slitherine used to have their own distinctive keys that you had to register to get a Steam key. Now they just use the same Steam key for both versions.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:Slitherine used to have their own distinctive keys that you had to register to get a Steam key. Now they just use the same Steam key for both versions.
So I can buy it on Steam and register it with Slitherine? That would be good as I have a credit on Steam.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:
tgb wrote:Slitherine used to have their own distinctive keys that you had to register to get a Steam key. Now they just use the same Steam key for both versions.
So I can buy it on Steam and register it with Slitherine? That would be good as I have a credit on Steam.
I've never tried that, but it should work.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm kind of wishing I pulled the trigger on Vietnam '65 when it was on sale a few weeks ago. This does look pretty cool, so I guess having something else to look forward to will be nice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
I've never tried that, but it should work.
Actually turns out it doesn't; I asked on the Slitherine forum but was told that, at the moment, if you get the game on Steam you can't register it on Slitherine. That fine, I preferred to use up my Steam wallet balance. Also I couldn't find where they are hiding my Steam key code for the game. I used to be able to find the key code but it seems to be hidden now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote: Also I couldn't find where they are hiding my Steam key code for the game. I used to be able to find the key code but it seems to be hidden now.
I don't understand. If you ended up getting it from Steam, who's hiding the key?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:
jztemple2 wrote: Also I couldn't find where they are hiding my Steam key code for the game. I used to be able to find the key code but it seems to be hidden now.
I don't understand. If you ended up getting it from Steam, who's hiding the key?
I mean that I can't find the Steam key code for a game I bought on the Steam program. When you buy it there your game can be automatically installed without having to go through the process of redeeming the key code in the Steam library. I haven't found a way to display the code after installation; for some games it shows up in the Steam overlay but not in this game. It's no big deal now, since I can't go back to Slitherine and use the code there, but I'm just wondering, if I ever wanted to locate the Steam key code I used on a game, where do I find it?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Library | Right-click | View CD Key

If it's available. Not all games have the option.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Library | Right-click | View CD Key

If it's available. Not all games have the option.
Yeah, it's not available for A'11. I'm wondering if I'm making an assumption here, that every purchase has a Steam key. Maybe the key is only generated for games bought outside of the Steam application? That would explain why I'm not seeing keys for some games. Anyway, no biggie.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've completed the four tutorial missions of the campaign. Well, I haven't completed the fourth mission, because of a bug, but I think I've seen everything I'm supposed to see. I also had a crash in the tutorial, I've submitted the dump file to Slitherine.

I'm pretty happy with the game so far. I never played the predecessor Vietnam '65 so I don't have that to compare it to, but supposedly this is like V'65 but with more stuff in it and a more enhanced strategic layer. It is an abstracted wargame; Chinooks can stay airborne for six turns which is enough time for a ground vehicle to traverse from one side of the map to the other. However, most wargames, if not all, are abstracts in some way and it is really about how the game mechanics challenge the player. In A'11 that is done pretty well. It's all about establishing balances between resources needed and resources spent.

There is the game mechanic called Political Points that is the crux of gameplay. You have only so many PP. You get more each turn, and you can earn additional PP by doing certain things. However, even to do those things, you have to expend PP. Political Points are an abstract, but if you think about them as popular support back home, plus support from your local superiors, it's easier to understand. Bringing in more US units helps the fight, but takes away from some other commander's resources and makes people think you aren't being efficient in how you utilize what you have. And taking casualties costs PP, so that's to be avoided as much as possible. And there are lots of other things that use up PP. You really need to keep an eye on how you spend them.

Logistics are very well represented in the game, although again in an abstracted way. I'm a bit of a logistics geek and the game really puts the player on notice that unless you keep a good handle on getting those rations and fuel supplies and ammo out to the users you are really going to be hurting.

Enemy activity is a real challenge. Militia and Taliban units need to be eliminated, since doing so gets you PP while letting them intimidate the populous costs PP. IEDs need to found and removed. And you need to win the Hearts & Minds of the locals... but doing so costs those all so important Political Points.

This is not an easy game to do well at. However, if you put in the effort, you will find success and that can be satisfying. There are some nits I have found, like that the mountain hexes often are hard to pick out and so sometimes you move a unit the wrong way. Also in the mountains the units tend to sink partially below ground level, making them even harder to see. It would be nice if there was an option to have the game equivalent of miniatures bases. And it seems too easy to mistakenly move a unit when you are trying to select another unit; I'm going to request an option to change the move action to be a right click.

So I'll give the game a positive recommendation.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New item for A'11, A11 PATCH TO V1.0.3, this is info on a beta patch now available for testing.
Following some great feedabck from the the community, we have made the following changes/updates and would encourage everyone to help us test the changes:

In order to do so , follow these steps :

1. In your Steam Library, right-click "Afghanistan '11" and select “Properties.”
2. Select the “Betas” tab.
3. The Beta tag "Beta - Open Beta" will appear in the Beta dropdown list. Select it and close the Properties window.
4. Steam should now update "Afghanistan '11" to the beta version. If the update does not start automatically, launch the game to force the update process.

This will patch you into V1.0.3 and you can help test the following updates/fixes :

Fixed Exit Stance exception
Fixed feedback icon exception
Fixed infantry animator exception
Fixed Apache running out of fuel over another grounded unit
Fixed skirmishes with 15k starting PP starting with 10k PP
Fixed Apache landing sound
Fixed incorrect feedback VO when visiting
Fixed rotating vehicles with loaded units removing loaded unit
Fixed artillery loaded into pits garrisoning after loading a save game
Improved skip unit button presentation
Improved tooltip visibility in game hud
Improved move path to show turn numbers on multi-turn orders
Changed default difficulty to Rookie
Changed intel map to show designated zones by default

Much appreciated !
tgb

Post by tgb »

Glad to see you enjoying the game, jz. It really is a gem.

My biggest suggestion is after the tutorials, start with a sandbox game. The campaign missions are (deliberately) unbalanced and quite challenging, and I wouldn't tackle them without a solid grounding in all the systems.

Believe it or not I haven't even seen the end game yet, since when it was in beta I could never get there before a CTD or some other game-breaking bug would rear it's ugly head.

[edit]I forgot to mention that while it sometimes can be a little confusing as to which unit you are controlling, moving the mouse will almost always show a path, so that helps. When in doubt, you can always right-click before doing anything.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well I'm starting to get annoyed. I had two crashes in the past day and so decided to try the beta version to see if that helped. It didn't, I just got another crash. And it's apparently the same thing each time according to the dump report. I've been sending them to Slitherine, but I may stop playing till I hear this is getting fixed. It's not something being addressed by the beta and I'm not the only one to have reported the issue.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I do have a question. I'm playing Campaign Mission 5 (I didn't see your advice about trying the sandbox till now) and I'm doing OK. I did find another bug with an objective, but that might be related to a crash. Anyone, I'm trying to figure out how to use my Huskies better. I send them out on road sweeps but too often they end up uncovering an enemy unit and take damage so I bring them back because I know a second damage will destroy them. Would it be better to run them in a convoy with an MRAP/ASV with an infantry unit on board? I'm figuring that this means moving the Husky a bit, then the APC a bit, then repeat, so the Husky keeps the IEDs cleared but the APC can trigger any enemy units. This seems very clumsy. Or do I just use an MRAP/ASV to clear and accept the 60%/40% damage chance? I feel like I'm just not seeing the big picture.
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:I do have a question. I'm playing Campaign Mission 5 (I didn't see your advice about trying the sandbox till now) and I'm doing OK. I did find another bug with an objective, but that might be related to a crash. Anyone, I'm trying to figure out how to use my Huskies better. I send them out on road sweeps but too often they end up uncovering an enemy unit and take damage so I bring them back because I know a second damage will destroy them. Would it be better to run them in a convoy with an MRAP/ASV with an infantry unit on board? I'm figuring that this means moving the Husky a bit, then the APC a bit, then repeat, so the Husky keeps the IEDs cleared but the APC can trigger any enemy units. This seems very clumsy. Or do I just use an MRAP/ASV to clear and accept the 60%/40% damage chance? I feel like I'm just not seeing the big picture.
What you're talking about is (Husky in the lead, followed by MRAP, slowly creeping forward) is the way I do it and is exactly the kind of micro management I was referring to. When traveling by road I typically run Husky/MRAP/Buffalo/Supply Truck(s). Once you have a network of FOBs established that will help a bit.

Late in the Beta Johan was saying he had come up with a system to create convoys, but that it wouldn't be ready until some time after release.

FWIW, I'm the other person posting on the Slitherine board regarding the crashes. I'd have thought that between the last release candidate the testers received (we never did get one on Wednesday) and yesterday that would have been fixed.

I feel especially bad because at least I got my copy for free. What are your specs? Maybe we can figure something out between the two of us.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:What are your specs? Maybe we can figure something out between the two of us.
Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit Home Premium, 480GB SSD main drive. I've switched to Medium graphics (from Very High) to see if it is related.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Your rig is way more powerful than mine (I3 8Gb RAM Geforce 650TI - I know. I plan to upgrade in the next few months).

I'll try adjusting my graphics as well, but from the dump file it seems to be more of a coding issue.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I tried your suggestion of going to a Skirmish game, using the default settings. Only it's not that easy :roll:, as I start off with a pile of PP and no units, so I figure out what I have to buy and what I have to do. I set up a FOB in a bit less that two Blackhawk helo lengths from the home base; I figured out that tactic in the tutorial. And then I bought this and that and in a few turns was in negative PP territory. This was looking rather bad till the Taliban started coming in droves towards my FOB. I had by then been in positive PP territory enough to build a gun pit and a hospital and a maintenance bay, so I was able to fend off the enemy and got lots of PP to boot. And yet now I'm back in negative territory because I spent too many PPs on an extra Chinook and a few of this and that and suddenly I lose a couple of units and bang I'm in a couple grand in the hole again. This can be a very frustrating game :shock:

I did post a suggestion over on the Slitherine forum that a "Save Anytime" feature be added. It's a nuisance that the game only saves after the turn end button is press and the AI takes its turn. Also I like the idea that I can save and try something to see if it works. And of course if I could save anytime it would be nice to keep saving just in case I get another crash.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Regarding saves and crashes - the game autosaves every turn (you probably know that by now), so the most you are going to lose from a crash is a single turn. As to saving anytime, I'm pretty sure Johan said he eliminated it specifically so people wouldn't save-scum - which is exactly what you want to do :D

It's real easy to go into the red in PP and lose the game as a result. I meant to post this tip earlier but I haven't been sleeping and I forgot.

Anyway, are you checking your Political Liaison? Some of them bring a 250 PP deficit/turn. Also helicopters are VERY expensive to fly. That Chinook isn't just 2000 PP to purchase - it's also 6 per hex when you send it off somewhere.

One thing I had to train myself to do is rotate units back home. Don't forget you get the full purchase price refunded. When operating in the red, take a look at your guys and equipment and see if you can do without that extra Buffalo for a while. It's the easiest way to get out back in the black.

[edit]Incidentally I lowered the graphics quality and haven't had a crash since. Keeping my fingers crossed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I disagree with any developer that prevents me from saving when I want in a single player game unless it's some technical reason. How I play the game is up to me. I made the suggestion on the forum and some people are supporting the idea.

UPDATE: And I just got my fourth crash, so I'm giving up till they patch this thing.
tgb

Post by tgb »

jz -

Have you tried today's patch (1.04)? I downloaded it but won't have a chance to play until later.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

No, and I'm off this game for now. I got a response from the developer about my request for a "save anytime" feature and as you mentioned, he said no and mentioned save-scumming. While I did change my Steam review from a thumbs down to a thumbs up due to the (anticipated) fixes for the crashes, I still consider the inability to save at any time something that I just don't want to deal with right now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vietnam '65 $5.00 and registers on Steam.

Afghanistan '11 is $14.99 and does not have a Steam key option.

I picked up Vietnam.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:36 pm Vietnam '65 $5.00 and registers on Steam.

Afghanistan '11 is $14.99 and does not have a Steam key option.

I picked up Vietnam.
You buy it direct and they send you a single code that works directly with them or unlocks the game on Steam
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Royal Marines $9.99
Royal Marines, the first expansion for Afghanistan '11, is now out on PC and iOS!
With a new faction (the UK Army), plenty of new units and vehicles, a brand new campaign featuring the lenght of British involvement in Afghanistan, new mechanics such as civilian vehicles, car bombs, roadblocks, Afghan national police, Royal Marines is sure to entertain you and give you dozens of hours of additional fun.

It is a must-have for every Afghanistan '11 players, so get it now! If you are new to Afghanistan '11 this is your chance to get the base game, too, which will be discounted at 40% off for one week. Don't miss this opportunity!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wargamer review
Royal Marines includes a new 10-scenario campaign featuring the U.K. forces’ amphibious infantry service. These are fairly demanding missions, and from the outset you’ll be scrambling to deploy and position forces in order to start raising your “Hearts & Minds” score and maintaining popular support (represented with Political Points) back home. The new unit roster doesn’t change the nature of the game up too much - infantry and special forces are more or less unchanged from the base game, and most of the new vehicles tend to serve the same function as their American counterparts. Some mechanical changes have been made, however: MRAPs, for instance, have been replaced by the British Warthog, which has the very handy ability to travel over mountainous terrain. One genuinely new addition to the roster is the FV107 Scimitar reconnaissance tank. You also have a spiffy new Royal Marines dress uniform on the menu, for which you’ll gradually earn medals, ribbons, and badges.
These mechanical additions that Royal Marines makes to the original Afghanistan ‘11 formula are enough to offset the new missions’ feeling of retreading old ground. The fresh coat of paint and a few new units are pleasant enough, particularly for anyone with a personal connection to the Royal Marines or British forces in general, but the real value in Royal Marines is found when you fire up a Skirmish game and try out the new chess pieces at your disposal.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Hmm, apparently Apple just pulled this from their app store.
Spoiler:
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's so dumb. This is apparently the guideline in question:
1.1 Objectionable Content
Apps should not include content that is offensive, insensitive, upsetting, intended to disgust, or in exceptionally poor taste. Examples of such content include:

1.1.2 Realistic portrayals of people or animals being killed, maimed, tortured, or abused, or content that encourages violence. “Enemies” within the context of a game cannot solely target a specific race, culture, real government, corporation, or any other real entity.
I guess the Taliban filed a complaint.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can't post a war game until one side has actually won, I guess.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:17 pm Can't post a war game until one side has actually won, I guess.
"You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06