Afghanistan '11

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Afghanistan '11

Post by tgb »

This just jumped to the top of my most-anticipated list.

Matrix/Slitherine has announced Afghanistan '11, a sequel to the excellent Vietnam '65 (I really should get back to that one day).

It seems to have an even deeper strategic layer, with a lot more stuff to do in order to capture "hearts and minds". It also has a campaign.

And for those interested, they are accepting applications for the closed beta. (Yes, I have)
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Re: Afghanistan '11

Post by jztemple2 »

I saw this announcement and I am intrigued as well. I like the idea of the deeper strategic level too. I never did pick up Vietnam '65 but it's on my wishlist.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

It now has a late-March release date. The beta testers may still be under an NDA, but press copies have gone out - so enjoy.

I'll add thoughts of my own once the NDA is lifted.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Oh, this looks VERY interesting! Keep us posted, please!
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I love Vietnam '65 and played tons of it on the PC and the iPad. Afghanistan is a day one (which now seems to be in March ...) purchase for me.
tgb

Post by tgb »

ChuckB wrote:I love Vietnam '65 and played tons of it on the PC and the iPad. Afghanistan is a day one (which now seems to be in March ...) purchase for me.
I think I can say without violating the NDA that anyone who loved the previous game will like this.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Wondering whether they have made the UI a bit less aggravating than Vietnam. I love the underlying game, but can become very annoyed with various mechanisms.
tgb

Post by tgb »

RPS has a very good preview up today that pretty much mirrors my own feeling about the game.
Last edited by tgb on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Game play looks and sounds fun. How is the PC interface this time around?
I always felt like V65 was somehow sluggish or chunky.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Archinerd wrote:Game play looks and sounds fun. How is the PC interface this time around?

I don't think I can answer that without violating the NDA, but you can get a pretty good idea from the Let's Plays up on Youtube.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I feel that in 2017 I've moved beyond hexes. There has got to be another alternative. The throw-back 1999 thing that Matrix was doing was cool for a few years, but I need something more. Hexes combined with Matrix (IMO) putting out a lot of pretty sub-par games over the past 5 years makes me almost automatically turned off. If they are going to re-visit the past I'd like to see Jane's Fleet Command redone.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:
Archinerd wrote:Game play looks and sounds fun. How is the PC interface this time around?

I don't think I can answer that without violating the NDA, but you can get a pretty good idea from the Let's Plays up on Youtube.
I'll check it out. Not a deal breaker for me if it's the same, more of a wish list thing.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

As a minimum, please, please have the rain done is such a manner that I can still find my mouse on the screen. The rest, I can live with.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New video, Afghanistan '11 - Feature Video - Logistics. As a logistics nerd (I just finished reading Logistics in the Falklands War: A Case Study in Expeditionary Warfare by Kenneth L. Privratsky for fun) this stuff sounded pretty good. I never got Vietnam '65, does it have the same level of logistics represented?
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:New video, Afghanistan '11 - Feature Video - Logistics. As a logistics nerd (I just finished reading Logistics in the Falklands War: A Case Study in Expeditionary Warfare by Kenneth L. Privratsky for fun) this stuff sounded pretty good. I never got Vietnam '65, does it have the same level of logistics represented?
In a word, no. The expansion of the logistics system is one of the biggest improvements over the previous game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:New video, Afghanistan '11 - Feature Video - Logistics. As a logistics nerd (I just finished reading Logistics in the Falklands War: A Case Study in Expeditionary Warfare by Kenneth L. Privratsky for fun) this stuff sounded pretty good. I never got Vietnam '65, does it have the same level of logistics represented?
In a word, no. The expansion of the logistics system is one of the biggest improvements over the previous game.
Good to know. The two videos have really peaked my interest and I'll probably have burned out on Ghost Recon Wildpants by then.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another short article, Afghanistan '11 - A look at the Skirmish mode and achievements
Afghanistan ’11 features a long campaign: players can experience the whole length of the war through 18 unique scenarios. Each scenario puts you in very different situations, and you’ll have to employ different strategies to beat the scenario and advance in the campaign.

But there’s more outside of the campaign: Afghanistan ’11 offers a very detailed Skirmish mode.

You can play on randomly generated maps and set several parameters, completely customizing your game to your liking. You can set geographical parameters, starting conditions, victory conditions, as well as disable or enable additional modules such as Political events and Elections.

You can even disable any kind of turn limit, making your game unlimited and you’ll be able to play as long as you want!

You also have the option to start a new game on the same map, if you wish: everytime you start a new game with the Skirmish mode, you’ll be given a specific Mission Key code. By entering that code when starting a new Skirmish game, you’ll be able to play on the same map as before!

Other than the campaign, when playing Afghanistan ’11 you’ll have many different objectives in the form of Achievements. There are 59 different achievements in Afghanistan ’11, fiftynine! Completing them all will be quite the task.

As you unlock them, you’ll see that the uniform in the main screen will gain new medals and you’ll also rise in rank! You can click on it and have a closer look at your medals, as well as the achievements you have unlocked.
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't have the time or the energy to watch a three hour video... did he like it?
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:
I don't have the time or the energy to watch a three hour video... did he like it?
I didn't watch the whole thing, but from what I saw he seemed to like it a lot.

It's frustrating to see live streams and Let's Plays while still being under an NDA preventing me from commenting on it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nothing to stop you commenting on what you like and dislike from the live streams and Let's Plays, is there?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't know.

I have a good relationship with Slitherine and do a fair amount of testing for them. I don't want to jeopardize it.

They do this a lot. I asked once before if the fact that they were allowing videos and previews of a title up meant that my NDA was null and void, and all I got was a curt "No."
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:I have a good relationship with Slitherine and do a fair amount of testing for them. I don't want to jeopardize it.
I appreciate your respect for agreements :wub:. I'll wait for your opinions before making any purchasing decisions, when does your NDA expire?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't know if people have seen this item on the A11 Steam newsfeed, Afghanistan '11 - Innovations since Vietnam '65
Vietnam ’65 was truly innovative when it first came out: a true counter-insurgency game, fresh and new, and it was extremely well received.

The upcoming Afghanistan ’11 aims at bringing that formula back, but not without plenty innovations and novelties of its own!
Today we’ll give some details on what has been improved from Vietnam ’65.

Campaign. Unlike Vietnam ’65, Afghanistan ’11 will have a brand new campaign with 18 scenarios covering the entirety of the war and making you face very different situations. This will be of course accompanied by a Skirmish mode, giving the game extreme replaybility.

New unit types and abilities. Afghanistan ’11 has an expanded roster of units with more functionalities, focusing on particular on the role of Special forces. Special Forces in Afghanistan ’11 have a number of tactical options at their disposal. They can set a Lookout which will function as a stationary observation post, from where they’ll be able to scout and observe enemy movements. They can also call a special Airstrike to destroy enemy units as well as use a Sniper attack to disperse enemy units or force them to retreat.

New FOB system. Forward Operating Bases can now be expanded with additional Modules and be employed to run a supply network. They now function as proper forward bases from which you can launch missions deep into potentially hostile territory.

Elections. Face ever changing political conditions and directly influence the outcome of elections, by spending Political Points to support a specific candidate. War developments will also have a direct influence on elections, and you’ll find that the turns during the electoral campaign will be critical. The situation is made richer by many new Political events which will happen randomly and make your games more varied, as well as new ways to win Hearts & Minds, such as Delivering UN aid or building Waterworks.

Opium Production. Another aspect that is depicted in Afghanistan ’11. Taliban and the militias will depend on the local production of Opium, but of course you have a say on the matter. By locating and destroying opium crops you’ll weaken your enemy by crippling its resources, but as part of the tradeoff you will enrage the locals as you’ll deprive them of their susteinance. What choice will you make?

The UI. A lot of work has been put into improving the interface. Icons have been minimized in favor of contextual feedback. This is most evident in respect of cargo carrying vehicles and helicopters. Instead of cluttering the visuals with icons, the cargo is visually represented which adds to the overall look and feel of the game. In addition, important contextual, visual cues are used to inform the player of a number of important facts i.e. Supply level at FOBs, Artillery supply, medical evacuations and so on.

The Intel Map. In-game information has been put on steroids, with the player now having Staff Officers (SO) displaying vital information to aid the player as he progresses through the scenario. The INTEL map has been upgraded in general and now forms a vital part of the gameplay.

Graphics. Afghanistan ’11 sports greatly improved graphics, being now fully 3D. This not only adds immensely to the visual aspect of the game but also add real context to geographical decisions.

The maps in Afghanistan ‘11 are also scalable to much larger sizes than seen in Vietnam ‘65. All maps used in Afghanistan ‘11 are around 33% larger than those used in Vietnam ’65.

There are many more innovations. We had to be concise, and we couldn’t list them all. Fans of Vietnam ’65 won’t be disappointed, and will find out that the formula they loved has been greatly improved in Afghanistan ’11!
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote: I appreciate your respect for agreements :wub:. I'll wait for your opinions before making any purchasing decisions, when does your NDA expire?
Usually the day of release, which I think is Thursday.
tgb

Post by tgb »

We've been told to expect 1.01 (release build) today, so I hope to be able to discuss the game soon.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Well, crap. Last minute issues mean the testers won't be getting the release candidate until Wednesday.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:Well, crap. Last minute issues mean the testers won't be getting the release candidate until Wednesday.
I'm assuming that's going to delay Steam release a couple of days as well?
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:
tgb wrote:Well, crap. Last minute issues mean the testers won't be getting the release candidate until Wednesday.
I'm assuming that's going to delay Steam release a couple of days as well?
Honestly, I don't know.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Steam says:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yup, but that Steam image has been there for a while. It would seem weird to delay sending the release candidate out to testers but keeping the public release date firm, giving the testers less than a day to look for any last minute problems. I know from recent experience that Motorsport Manager actually delayed their release by a day or so at the last minute due to a late issue, so it is possible for the publishers to delay release on their say so.

I'm of course saying all this to soften the blow to my expectations if the game doesn't come out on Thursday :angry-tappingfoot:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Recon & combat.

Just to clarify yesterday's post - beta testers were informed that the latest release build would be made available yesterday. Later that day someone from Slitherine said there was an issue with putting on line, and because the person who has that responsibility would be out today, it wouldn't be put up until tomorrow.

Whether or not that's true, or if it means some new bugs suddenly cropped up, I have no idea. For reasons I won't get into now, there's every reason to think that in-house testing is taking place concurrently with the closed beta, so I'm expecting a smooth launch on Thursday. If it does have to be delayed, so be it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the update. I did see on the store page this morning that, besides the image that shows the release on the 23rd, the "Available" box, which had shown "Coming Soon" now shows March 23rd. Good news.

And thanks for linking that video :D

And in a completely off topic comment, I just want to mention that today is the 40th anniversary of the day I started my first and only adult job, working as an engineer on the Space Shuttle program. I was laid off after the last launch but (after a couple of weeks :roll:) my wife informed me that we had enough money put away for me to retire. So I took that option :dance:

Anyway, my wife is working all day, so I'm going to celebrate by running around Bolivia shooting things in GRW :horse:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Congrats on 40 years. I've worked for the same company for 23, which is remarkable for me since I had some many different jobs prior to that.
baelthazar

Afghanistan '11

Post by baelthazar »

Congrats JW! You seem so eloquent... for an engineer!

Considering it took me until I was 30 to get my job as a history prof, I expect to be working until my 70s to get to my 40 years.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Got my discount code but it's not available in the Slitherine store yet. Also no official word on the NDA
tgb

Post by tgb »

Official word is that the game will be available on the Slitherine/Matrix site approx 8AM Pacific time, and the NDA will be lifted at that time. I'm not sure what time it unlocks on Steam, but you can always buy it directly from Slitherine and grab a Steam key for later.

Stay tuned for my thoughts on the game.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Now available on Steam or directly from Slitherine - $29.99

With the NDA lifted, let me say that this is an excellent design and improves on Viet Nam '65 in just about every way, with one small exception.

If you've seen any of the Let's Plays or live streams, you already know how it takes the strategic layer of VN '65 and expands it. There is much more emphasis on the "hearts and minds" aspect of the game, particularly the importance of building and maintaining a viable infrastructure for the Afghan people while at the same time battling the Taliban and militia forces. You'll spend just as much time (maybe more) connecting villages to roads, delivering UN aid, and building and maintaining water towers as you will in firefights.

Throw in random events, elections that change the nature of the game, the ability to rotate units home in order to recover their cost in Political Points (the game's currency), and the fact that not only should you, you absolutely have to train Afghan troops to take over, and it makes for a much more rounded experience.

The one caveat is that all this leads to a bit more micro-management. Travel along highways and roads is the most efficient way to get from Point A to Point B, but vehicles only carry enough fuel for 5 turns. This means that for long distances, you'll constantly be having to halt your progress and wait for the arrival of the supply truck (or Chinook) you just sent out. Also, i.e.d.'s are an everpresent threat, and the only vehicle that can detect and disarm them is the Husky. So if you're playing carefully, a convoy may consist of a Husky in the lead checking for explosives one turn at a time, while your Buffalo (engineer) and troop carriers slowly crawl behind.

There was some talk by the developers of a system to make road travel a little more streamlined, but they said from the beginning it wouldn't be available at release, but at some point thereafter.

Anyway, the long and short of it is if you liked Viet Nam '65 you'll love this.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the review! I was a bit surprised at the price, but for a good product from Slitherine it is OK. I think I can handle the micromanaging bit as you mentioned in the review. I never did pick up Vietnam '65 because some of the reviews mentioned that it got repetitive after a while and since it didn't have a mentioned campaign I just didn't get the motivation to give it a try. And by the time I thought I might give it a try, Afghanistan '11 was being touted and I didn't want to get involved in the first game and have to "unlearn" stuff for the second. At least that's what I'm telling myself :roll:.

Anyway I'm glad you're able to write about it now :D. And for those folks who might not be sure about getting the game, remember the manual is available on the Steam store page, I already had printed it out so I could give it a look.

I noticed that the game is also on sale on the Slitherine site as a Download Edition (and can be gotten as a Boxed version too). I've posted a question on the Steam forum regarding if I get the game directly from Slitherine do I also get a Steam key, or is it just one or the other. Nevermind, I found the answer on the Slitherine forum, a Steam key is included if you get it direct from them.