Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem (diablo clone)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

KDH

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem (diablo clone)

Post by KDH »

:horse: I did not see a thread for this, so there is one now

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem @ Steam (early access)

Wolcen Devblog - New Passive Skills Tree ! ... rotatable skill tree (not in the game yet) showing build diversity (similar to Paths of Exile?)

I ran across this in a reddit thread and, as they point out, it doesn't matter how much diversity you have available ... if there is ONE true path to power, mobility ... people will take that ONE path. .. PLUS: I imagine it would be extremely difficult to balance such a skill tree

anybody playing this?
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem (diablo clone)

Post by Daehawk »

Not heard of it before.

EDIT: Looks pretty cool. When I saw the skills wheel at first I thought "oh thats just Path of exile's wheel" ,...then he turned it and showed how you can mix and match the skills...wow kool.

EDIT2 : Well I must have heard of it at some point and forgotten it because I went to add it to my wishlist and it was already on it. hmmmm
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KDH

Post by KDH »

... From the Steam announcement ..

Wolcen - One year of Early Access !

lotta-words
Spoiler:
2018 Roadmap for Wolcen
January 19 - calistaen
Hello everyone !

The last year has been significantly important for the development and the evolution of Wolcen. From version 0.3.5 to 0.5.0.4a we released a dozen patches and pushes at least as many hotfixes.
2017 was about giving our players substance to start enjoying the content of the game and the core features of Wolcen and we worked hard to update the game twice every month.
2017 also was the one-year-anniversary of the Early Access of Wolcen:
YouTube™ Video: Wolcen - One year of Early Access !
Views: 12,817

And our first trailer !
YouTube™ Video: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Early Access Trailer
Views: 31,013
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is an Action RPG game currently in early access. You can find more info at: https://wolcengame.com/home https://wolcengame.com/press/...

Finally, 2017 was the year we also learned and grew.

Although we originally planned to release the game much faster, our ambition for Wolcen increased and we’re now moving forward with the idea of making an even Greater game. With a big G. We know that this will cause some delays, but in the end we want you to feel it was definitely worth waiting.

We learned a lot from our previous year thanks to the feedback of our Community and from the experience we gathered.

But for now, let’s go back a little bit on this 2017 year and remind what happened, before we move on to 2018’s plan.

2017, the year of Birth

Scenario
2017 saw the introduction of the universe of Wolcen with a new world map and new quests presenting the first area of the game and some elements of the lore. We didn’t add anything more so far to use this testing ground for the core gameplay content of the game. We had to choose between the lore and the core features and since we want players to enjoy the gameplay and experiment different game styles, it felt more important to focus on the implementation of the core elements of the game.

Gameplay
Focusing on the Gameplay allowed us to implement lots of new features, even some we didn’t originally planned for 2017 :

New map and quests
New quest system
The Online mode, first step to the multiplayer
The dungeon traps
The DoT system refactored
The Character Sheet revamped
We added more than 120 new skills
The daily dungeon
The bounties
The arenas
New enemies, bosses and AI behaviors (Skull Crusher, Bandits, Orc Warlock, Grave Keeper…)
The Fog of War
New weapons, armors and items including uniques
New potions and elemental poisons
Permanent effects on potions
Gems and the Jeweller
The active skill tree
The Archivist and active skill currency
New spells
The Signature Skills
Sigils (semi-passive spells)
Charged spells
Improved the targeting system
Revamped the Defense and Resistance mechanics
The cadaver mechanic (introducing the necromancer)

And last but not least, we made tons of balancing. That’s it for the major stuff on the Gameplay for 2017.

Localization
Thanks to our great Community, we were able to add and improve localization of the game for :

French (of course !)
German
Spanish
Chinese
Russian
Czech
Hungarian
Finnish
Korean

Wolcen is proudly expanding in the world today thanks to all your support and effort. We’re really really grateful about that.

Audio
The audio has also been improved. We added a lot of new sounds from inventory to PST to quest or enemies and some new musics as well. The game now has its theme, as well as some areas in the game. We didn’t implement as much music as we wanted but focused on the sounds to make the gameplay enjoyable.

Environments
2017 saw the growth of the team to improve the workflow, speed and quality. The whole world was updated with the 0.5.0, with a lot of new areas, assets, dungeons and more. It seems that everyone was happy with this update, but let me reassure you, a lot more is coming.
To give you a brief overview of what have been done:

We remade the main menu, it is now a bit more sexy than a black background
We remade the tutorial area
We reworked amarth, with higher quality models and textures, as well as a better space organisation to welcome our new NPCs
Dhur evolved from a small village to a big city

We added new areas:

Evergrave
Huntsman vale
Hailstone bay
Silvercrown
Ravengard
Ashenrock temple
Ashenrock bridge
Dungeons
Orcs architecture
Corruption architecture
Black old civilisation architecture
Necromancer architecture
Pithus architecture
House Caves

We also improved the existing ones.
With a new world and many improvements in our workflow, 2017 leads the path to a greater 2018 year.

VFX
The development of the particles continued, and many changes have been made to improve existing effects, create new ones for new spells, and optimize everything.
We also developed a new system to optimize all the environment particles.
Particles in 2017 were not made by a particular department, but this is about to change for 2018 ;)

Concept art
Regarding the art concept work, 2017 was about exploring and testing new designs for the foes and factions, a lot of time refining the UI and design the UI for the new features. There also was a lot of efforts made to improve the workflow for future productions such as environments, characters, weapons and mods. Alexandre did an amazing work and agreed to show some exclusive artwork made this past year.

Of course, there is not a single improvement we add without the implication of the animation team. All the various postures, the way your pistols make you look that cool, the characters and enemies movements, the specificities linked to your character looks, all goes through them and their hard work.

2018, the year of Rebirth

We’re putting a lot of hopes in 2018 and made the proper arrangement to make these hopes come true. We are still in the process of planning the additions to the game and calculating the time and efforts needed to achieve our goals, but we plan to sweat a great deal this year. And not only because we’re on the French Riviera.

Updates status
With the team growing and the development reaching a critical point for the future of the game, we plan to apply updates every 2-3 months with major and quality content addition.
The pace we had didn’t allow us to optimize the game and reduce significantly the amount of crashes as well as making the proper testing. We want to provide more quality to Wolcen, we heard the need for more optimization, content, and less crashes despite the Alpha status of the game and we want to improve on that. This will lead the next patch to be pushed in March.

Linux version status
Wolcen has proven to be a very challenging game to make and maintain, and we’re all highly motivated to lead it to its release and even more. Despite that passion, we’re facing the real problem of time required by all the corrections and additions we must make to make this game great. Knowing that, having a second version of the game for created content as well as maintenance would present a very high difficulty with our current staff, specially without penalizing the Windows version itself. As much as we would like to provide the Alpha and Beta version to Linux users, we must face the fact that this will be more time consuming than productive for the game. Therefore we have decided that the Alpha and Beta version will not be implemented on Linux.

Scenario
The last month was very productive and we anchored the core elements of the 5 acts storyline.
Regarding the way we’re going to tell the story, we want to innovate on the narrative style, and we hope that you will enjoy what we plan.
We will also use the social networks to introduce the main characters, villains, and areas, without spoiling too much of course ! Wolcen Studio now has a hero fully dedicated to that side of the development and we’re confident things will move forward much faster thanks to him.

Gameplay
There will be a lot of improvements in the Gameplay as well. Here is a non-exhaustive list of what we plan for this year:

Shrines
Crafting
Multiplayer
Minions
New PST sections
New skills in active skill tree
New spells
New monsters, bosses, and AI behaviors
New NPCs
New item types including weapons (bows!), armors and trinkets
More new music and sounds
Combo improvements
Apocalyptic form !

We will also internally work on the future content of the game’s scenario but so far we don’t plan to release it for the Alpha or the Beta to provide a testing environment for spoiler sensitive players.

Animation & FX
Addition to the team will allow us to improve the animations, characters and FX in the game to make it even more epic and enjoyable. We want to keep the same visual quality for Wolcen and even improve it if we can.
We also plan to work on the player's characters, both male and female, to improve their looks and behaviors, as well as providing cool options to personalize your experience of the game.

Environment
With the development of the scenario, we plan to create a lot of new environments that will support the story of the game and allow players to explore the world of Wolcen, including new areas for the Republic faction and new corrupted zones, as well as other new areas we prefer to keep silent at the moment to avoid spoiling.

Audio
We plan to add voices in the game to improve the game experience and the immersion. They will not be implemented until we’ve finalized the content, but they are planned. New musics are also in the pipes.

In conclusion
The 2018 calendar for Wolcen is very fraught with content. We will continue to focus on the gameplay content more than the scenario release. The gameplay elements need much more testing than the story, and we don't want players to refrain from testing because they're worried of being spoiled. We will then focus on the endgame content to allow player to have fun while testing the game and its features.
Patches applied less often will allow us to add more content in a more stable environment so our Community can enjoy the game while testing it.
Don't forget your feedbacks will always help us to make the game even better so do not hesitate to provide them to us, it’s really important for us to know how you feel when you play Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem.

Of course, we didn’t cover everything you should know regarding this year, but we will continue to update you on the status of our team, so you will know soon enough :)

Once more, thank you all for your support. This means a lot to all of us.

The Wolcen Team

Useful links :
Wolcen's Roadmap[trello.com]
Wolcen's Bug tracker[trello.com]
Wolcen's Community Suggestions[trello.com]
Wolcen's Official Website[wolcengame.com]
Wolcen's Official Facebook Page
Wolcen's Twitter page
Wolcen's Instagram Page[www.instagram.com]
Wolcen's Official Discord server[discord.gg]
Wolcen's FAQ

Help us fix crashes here

Community websites:
German Fan Site : http://www.wolcen-game.de/
French Fan Site : Wolcen France[www.wolcen-france.com]
morlac

Post by morlac »

I own it but have not even booted it up yet. As soon as I do I'll report back.....whenever that may be.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Rhykker gives us an interesting look at Wolcen

<--- (22m)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Bought it, played it, returned it.

The intro was mind-numbingly boring; absolutely no challenge. Just your avatar, some chests to explore (one giving a shield, the rest, gold), and zombies that you could wail away on while you took no damage.

Then the boss fight.

You're locked into a room, swarmed by quick-moving zombies and then the boss comes out, shoots across the room and you're dead. I tried the battle a few times and got ticked off at the ridiculous difficulty ramp.

(Yes, I know it's "alpha" but all the comments on the game's community board was that the game was too easy and should be harder. Not a direction that makes the game playable for me.)

YMMV
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I bought it a few months ago, and I've created and played through it with three or four different characters. Loved it, can't wait for the completion of the various branches of the skill trees that haven't been filled out yet. The skill tree is pretty unique, IMO, in that you have 5 general classes (rogue, defensive warrior, hunter, mage, and offensive warrior) in the shape of a pie chart, then three more outer rings that you can rotate. Each inner ring connects with the next outer ring, and by rotating said rings you can create various different class combinations. If you choose to take two of the inner rings, you won't have enough points to get to the outer rings' more powerful skills, but you will get a more well-rounded character (defense and offensive warrior; ranger that can kill from a distance, then go hands on when guys get close, etc.) .

The magic system is also pretty unique in that you have three basic resources: Rage, Stamina, and Mana. Rage is used for special attacks, and so the more fighting you do, the more rage you build, but you lose mana. The more spells you cast, your mana goes down, but your rage goes up, which then allows you to complete a special rage attack. It's a pretty neat delicate balance to keep your mana filled as a mage, but if you get to hand to hand, you can use Rage to throw out a special attack. Stamina is used for a guaranteed forward roll that allows you to avoid damage altogether.

Loot system is still developing, but has the standard common, magic, rare, and unique, with a few set pieces that I've seen so far. As for Jolor's reaction, I can see how it would be annoying. However, there are a few little things you can do to make that "boss" fight easier. If you hit someone with lightning while they are standing in a pond, for example, it will shock and stun them. The arena that fight takes place in has a small moat inside it and some pillars you can hide behind to stop the charge attack. The game past that fight is much more balanced and allows you to gain xp at a much more reasonable rate.

Overall, I really enjoy the game. If you liked Diablo, this is a great new take on the genre. Reminds me of Titan Quest with much better graphics in a new world.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks, Hyena. I'll keep following this game to see how it turns out.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is $20. Really thinking about grabbing it....I have $15 but can tease $5 more I think hahaha. If not Ill wait. But it looks really deep and fun. Its either this or the Necro pack for Diablo 3 and play that all again.

Or something else thats $15...cant decide. You guys like it now?

I guess it comes down to...I love the Necro..or I did in D2 and in the D3 Necro beta...but Ive finished the game and Id just be replaying the entire game as a Necro now. If I go Wolcen then its all new to me. I just dont know anyone to coop it with.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I finally decided on this and went to buy it but decided to read the info on it first and it says that its just ALPHA still not even BETA and there is only 3-5 hours of play before it gets to the finished part. Then all there is is a PVE dungeon for time runs and such. That doesn't sound like enough to it for the $20 price. So now Im without a game still.

EDIT: Think Ill buy it anyways. Will give me a little play time plus if I get it now at the early access price then I wont have to pay full price on release which could be $29.99 and up...maybe even $59.99
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just played it for the first time. It is beautiful to see. The graphics are amazing. Not caring for controls...did not take time to remap them. I created a guy then made a second one but it seems to have only one slot as I cant see the first one I made. I like lots of slots for alts. At least let me have 1 alt to test with. Got through the tunnel area and walked into some water I could not get out of. I run in place stuck in the water. tried dodging with space but ran out of stam. Tried bashing to move but had no rage. So that character is toast I guess.

Will try some more. if it doesn't improve Ill ask for my first refund under the new Steam refund policy.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

You can make alts, I have about three or four of them. There's a "change character" button, I believe (at work right now).

As for getting stuck in the water, if you reload you will spawn back somewhere like in Diablo. There are still some pathing issues as well as dead areas you can get "stuck" in, but hey, this *is* still in alpha. Thankfully, there's also a skill you can learn later on that is mana-based (doesn't require rage) that allows you to teleport that I've used in a pinch when I get stuck like that.

Stick with it, it's worth it I promise. If you like Diablo, I've heard people describe this as what DIII should have been. I'm not sure I completely agree with that, as I loved DIII, but it has been well worth it to me. I need to check back in soon to see what changes have been made, I've been busy with other games for a month or two.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok thanks. Got both of them to town. Even though I want one to be a mage and one an archer it seems the game wants to make me stay a melee fighter for a good while. My mage can only cast her spell a few times before umbra is gone and the only way it seems to recharge is if I use a right click special melee attack and I can only use that if I use my normal left click melee attack a LOT. So Im left with a mage who much bash in 20 skulls to fry 2 with her spell.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:28 am Ok thanks. Got both of them to town. Even though I want one to be a mage and one an archer it seems the game wants to make me stay a melee fighter for a good while. My mage can only cast her spell a few times before umbra is gone and the only way it seems to recharge is if I use a right click special melee attack and I can only use that if I use my normal left click melee attack a LOT. So Im left with a mage who much bash in 20 skulls to fry 2 with her spell.
As soon as you get your first staff that will change. Staff attacks are ridiculous, and they power your umbra.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got one pretty quick. They are handy. I even looted a crossbow and a archery book for my alt. Hope he can use my stash too. Otherwise he's on his own.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah, stash is shared. I usually buy one for each of the archetypes, that way when I get a good staff on my archer/gunner, I just drop it in the second tab, or a sword for my melee, that goes in third tab, etc. First tab I reserve for tomes and potions and other stuff anyone can use. It used to be that you could re-read tomes to get additional exp in that spell/skill, but now you can only read a book once. However, you can sell them for exp and buy upgrades from the archivist, I think he's called called.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It appears that this is coming out of EA this week. Any opinions on the current state of the game?

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
morlac

Post by morlac »

Waiting for launch due to an impending character wipe. Havent playdd in over a year, ill report back this weekend.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I played quite a bit over the past two days. Finished Act 1 with my dual pistols archer, and I can say it's pretty damn good. No bugs, slimmed down skill tree, beautiful graphics. Lightning spell is hella overpowered, and I love it. System works pretty well. Less specialization on the skill tree than before. You used to be able to specialize in certain branches of magic (elec, fire, shadow, cold, etc.) but now it's much simpler. To be honest, I preferred the specialization, but it's still pretty damn good. I enjoyed it, but as always YMMV.

But yes, they are going to do a player wipe before the release. I'm fine with it, because hey, I get to play more.

morlac

Post by morlac »

Hmm, not excited about the slimmed down skill tree. I thought that helped set it apart from about 3 other similar games :)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

morlac wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:57 pm Hmm, not excited about the slimmed down skill tree. I thought that helped set it apart from about 3 other similar games :)
I agree. It's not bad, it's still that same cool wheel feature that allows you to move the outer ring around so you can shuffle the different playstyles closer to your starting selection, but they seem to have dropped the necromancer line, as well as the other specialist branches. The only thing I can think of is that they are going to put those in the outer ring, which is still blank as of last night. It's there, you can even rotate it around the circle, but there are no skills on it. I love the concept, but I'm hoping they have a plan to bring those other skillsets back.

It's like the Path of Exile skill tree, but Wolcen's actually makes sense instead of the monstrosity that PoE has...that freaks my shit out. You have to go halfway across the map just to find skills that fit your character. For example, half of the minion skills are way over by the Templar, Even though the Witch is obviously the one that would thematically fit raising skeletons and zombies and such. And last time I checked, it actually made more sense to have the Marauder to be your archer because of how close several key bow skills are.

morlac

Post by morlac »

Hyena wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm
It's like the Path of Exile skill tree, but Wolcen's actually makes sense instead of the monstrosity that PoE has...that freaks my shit out.
Yes!, exactly why I bought in so many moons ago.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks for the bump, I bought it and really like what I see. Hopefully it'll take up some space as I wait for D4.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

I had this on my wishlist for quite a while and finally bought it last month when they announced they were close to release and about to hike the price. I played through the first act with 3 characters, melee, ranged and magic and thought it wasn't bad. Interested to see how it plays in final release. There were two things that concerned me just a bit. One is certain skills just seemed so good I didn't really bother using anything else, someone mentioned the lightning skill, and the other was the twin Chakram. Of course that could all change in later acts. The other concern was I could not seem to get a hybrid build to work, using a mix of Rage and Willpower. Using one or the other I was able to find the sweet spot to continuously use skills but mixing them I kept running out of juice. Definitely looking forward to this weekend though.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Jag

Post by Jag »

Price is bumping up on launch, so I picked it up. Haven't started yet. Looks really good though.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks for the heads up, this one's definitely going on my wishlist.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Reading a review that says the Act 1 endboss is more complex than most end game bosses. Mutli phases and unique tactics. Very intrigued.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jag wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:09 pm Reading a review that says the Act 1 endboss is more complex than most end game bosses. Mutli phases and unique tactics. Very intrigued.
Yep. Very similar to the end boss in Diablo III expansion. Various evolutions after each defeat, various attacks and strategery needed.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is on sale at Humble for $29.99
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:56 pm This is on sale at Humble for $29.99
Same price as Steam which can refund.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Glad I got in on the ground floor...think I only paid $10 a few years ago, and I've gotten WAY more than my money's worth in that time.

Tao

Post by Tao »

Was able to play for about an hour this morning, now the network services are already broken so no online mode. Online and Offline mode keep characters separate, understandable, but that means offline isn't really an option. Folks are also reporting other game crashing bugs. Might want to give it a day or two before trying to seriously jump in.

Still have the occasional issue with targeting breakable crates/boxes etc. which is a minor issue.
Ran in to one mob that turned invulnerable halfway through the fight, pretty sure this was a bug and was eventually able to kill it.
Ran in to some sort of boss or epic monster that was an achievement, however it did toxic damage and the damage was ridiculously high, died twice as opposed to the 1 death in total I had running 3 characters through all of act 1 during early access last month.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Argh, sorry to hear about the crashes, I've been looking forward to the full release for a long time. I played a tiny bit back when it first came out and left kind of unimpressed, but it sounded like they've done a ton to improve and overhaul the game since then.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Nearly 5 hours later and the game is still not in a playable state. They seem to have fixed the authentication issue but no one is able to create a game instance. Official statement on Twitter is we are working on it, this may take several more hours. Guess the recent 3 week launch delay should have been 4 weeks.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I haven't been following this game at all, but last night I saw this thread and that the price was going to go up at release so I decided to give it a go.

Earlier today I couldn't connect, but as of 15 minutes ago, I was able to authenticate and create a game (and it has been stable thus far), so things are improving it would seem.
-something witty-
morlac

Post by morlac »

I was just able to create and play in online mode after one reboot. Played for half a hour before exiting. I lost all sound except voice overs for some reason :)

Game is really good looking, I love the layered backgrounds.

I Did get to level and stare in awe at the wheel of indecision. I never did get super far in EA so I am already dreaming of alts. Going back in shortly!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Was able to get in the game shortly after InfiniteLurker posted. Takes several restarts at times to actually get a game instance created. Seriously hoping they will balance Toxic damage as it just feels like it hits for way too much. Toxic Imbued mobs are ridiculous at the moment. Finding the hit box on mobs is either disappearing or being affected by network lag or latency. The cave bat like creatures are virtually un-killable, not 100% of the time but a good 80 to 90% after one or two hits the hit box just disappears and I could not target them. I think the game will be quite fun once they iron out some of the issues.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Wow, I'm unable to play. Surprised. This has been an incredibly stable game in Beta, but now I'm not even able to start a game. I've started the intro sequence three times, but it CTD every time.

Jag

Post by Jag »

Played a bunch yesterday offline because I have no intention of playing co-op. No issues at all. Got to level 9.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Tao wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 pm Nearly 5 hours later and the game is still not in a playable state. They seem to have fixed the authentication issue but no one is able to create a game instance. Official statement on Twitter is we are working on it, this may take several more hours. Guess the recent 3 week launch delay should have been 4 weeks.
Did you see they had 62,000 players the most they had ever had was 1,932 players in beta. Always going to be a struggle with a small company.

You could of course just play offline for a few days without any issues, maybe thats too easy