Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by YellowKing » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm

My first impressions of this game were not overly positive. Absolutely snail-like movement, wonky controls, overly-complicated systems - (I have to brush my horse? Really?) However, I think part of that bad taste came from just having come off Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, a game which is smoothly polished to provide fast, intuitive, streamlined gameplay. By comparison, RDR2 feels excruciatingly slow and clunky.

However, I've just tried to experience it as a big Western movie and not get caught up in the gameplay minutiae. That has served me much better. When I sit down for a session, I'm not worried about missions or some quantitative sense of progression. I just go where the game takes me, and experience whatever story that session is going to reveal. I've had to learn to slow down, take in the sights, and become accustomed to a slower life in the Old West.

It really is a truly impressive game. The amount of detail is just staggering.

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:40 pm

They'd move ten million more units if John Wayne's voice was digitized into the game. :mrgreen:
webuildthewall.us

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm

I think ironically, the first part of the game up in the mountains, is also not very engaging. You're dropped in abruptly into a pseudo-intro/tutorial, and I feel that it's not until you get to the camp near Valentine that the game starts to get interesting. I think where people might have gotten caught off-guard is with the level of realism. People felt they had gone too far one way in regards to physics in GTA 4, and I see this in a similar manner. There are many things they've improved on from the first game though, for example the horse itself which required rhythmic button presses which heard a lot of complaints but now only requires a button to be held down. I think in general people just need to slow down and stop thinking it in terms of an action game.

I'm not even having any issues with the controls that most are having. In fact, I'm finding them quite natural.

This game is oozing atmosphere and graphically it's quite jaw-dropping. The scenery is some of the best I've seen in a game. At one point, I booted up the game and Arthur was leaning against a tree facing the Dakota river. A beautifully serene scene. It doesn't look like a scene out of a game, but life.And the water. Best water I've seen, IMO, not only because of its fidelity, but due to the physics involved where currents can actually whisk you away if you're trying to cross a strong current.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 pm

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 am

Rumpy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm
I think ironically, the first part of the game up in the mountains, is also not very engaging. You're dropped in abruptly into a pseudo-intro/tutorial, and I feel that it's not until you get to the camp near Valentine that the game starts to get interesting. I think where people might have gotten caught off-guard is with the level of realism. People felt they had gone too far one way in regards to physics in GTA 4, and I see this in a similar manner. There are many things they've improved on from the first game though, for example the horse itself which required rhythmic button presses which heard a lot of complaints but now only requires a button to be held down. I think in general people just need to slow down and stop thinking it in terms of an action game.
Completely agree with this and YellowKing's earlier comments. Guess I never made it to that camp... one of these days I'll reinstall this and try again with a new mindset.

Edited to add: Just stumbled across this on Blues I don’t wanna do my video game chores. He's "still waiting for it to get fun". :?
-mf

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Daehawk wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 pm
-snip-

Ironically, I feel the witness system is much improved over the first game. The witness system in the first game was broken. Even if you were out in the wide-open with nobody in sight and you were hunting, you'd get caught by an "invisible witness", many of which supposed it was the wildlife that had mistakenly been coded to report crimes. That behavior followed to early versions of GTAV where animals were introduced. At least here, it only ever happens in interactions with NPCs.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Scoop20906
Loading…

Post by Scoop20906 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Man, what a downer the game is right now for me. I won't spoil anything but our crew has had a bunch of crushing losses and now it feels like everyone is turning on each other. Dutch seems to play the primary peachemaker of the group but even people are against him. I want to continue playing but the downer of the group's attitude actually has me staying away. The people I liked alot are dead. The people I hate seem to be gunning for me and everyone else is just miserable. Oh well, got to get back in it soon.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906

naednek
Loading…

Post by naednek » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 pm

This game is simply amazing. Graphically and story telling. Just top notch. The cool thing is... you don't have to do the chores if you don't want to. I've stuck to side and main missions, only gone to the store a few times to update my weapons, but it's all optional, and truthfully, doesn't have much of an impact if you don't.

I'm nearly finished with the story. The main part is done and now I'm doing the epilogue. Towards the end of the game you really feel attached to your character and you feel sorry for him in some ways. I love how it passes on the torch to Red Dead 1.

Yes, the game play is not about fast movement. This game is made to be take it all in slowly. Sooner you realize that, the more you will enjoy it. Stop and smell the roses.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 pm

YellowKing wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm
However, I've just tried to experience it as a big Western movie and not get caught up in the gameplay minutiae. That has served me much better. When I sit down for a session, I'm not worried about missions or some quantitative sense of progression. I just go where the game takes me, and experience whatever story that session is going to reveal. I've had to learn to slow down, take in the sights, and become accustomed to a slower life in the Old West.

It really is a truly impressive game. The amount of detail is just staggering.
naednek wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 pm
Yes, the game play is not about fast movement. This game is made to be take it all in slowly. Sooner you realize that, the more you will enjoy it. Stop and smell the roses.
Seems like enjoying this game hinges entirely on whether or not the gamer in question is interested in "taking it slow" or not. Glad others were able to get over that hump, because I certainly was not.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 pm

For me, I'd absolutely love to take it slow if I could go back into the past when I had more free time. I used to always avoid fast travel as much as possible in open world games. Now that my gaming hours are so much fewer and more precious, I just can't spend 5 minutes watching a horse ride through scenery, repeatedly.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:21 pm

I must confess since my last update the game has failed to get its hooks in me. I don't think I've played it in at least a month.

Maybe one of these days I'll get back to it, but for now it's just too slow a timesink. :(

naednek
Loading…

Post by naednek » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 pm

wonderpug wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 pm
For me, I'd absolutely love to take it slow if I could go back into the past when I had more free time. I used to always avoid fast travel as much as possible in open world games. Now that my gaming hours are so much fewer and more precious, I just can't spend 5 minutes watching a horse ride through scenery, repeatedly.
Trust me I'm in that same position. If I'm lucky I can game an hour a day, and usually that's after everyone is in bed. Then it's a toss up if I can stay awake. I've had the game since launch, and I'm just now about to be finished. (working on the epilogues) But with that said, I loved everything, even though it took me a while.

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Scoop20906 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:54 pm
Man, what a downer the game is right now for me. The people I liked alot are dead. The people I hate seem to be gunning for me and everyone else is just miserable.
So for me it would be an accurate simulation of "life". lol
webuildthewall.us

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:04 pm

naednek wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 pm
Trust me I'm in that same position. If I'm lucky I can game an hour a day, and usually that's after everyone is in bed. Then it's a toss up if I can stay awake. I've had the game since launch, and I'm just now about to be finished. (working on the epilogues) But with that said, I loved everything, even though it took me a while.
Yeah, and the game might sound like a slog, but only because it's chock full of stuff to do. The game never ceases to amaze me. I'm always discovering new stuff: There's a saloon in the NE of Saint-Denis. First time I was there, the bartender was outside complaining about rats and saying he'd pay anyone to go in there and kill them. Stuff like this make the world feel alive.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

naednek
Loading…

Post by naednek » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

And finished!

What a ride. Loved it just as much as the original. Now to fiddle with Red Dead Online, before moving on.

Also to watch a recap of Red Dead Redemption 1 as while I loved it, some things are foggy due to time.

I completed 100% of the story, and according to the save system I'm 79.5% completed overall. I didn't go out looking for all the items in the compendium, or purposely do any of the challenges, and I didn't get all the weapons, or do all the chores. They are just window dressing and not required to enjoy or progress the story. So don't let that dissuade you from playing it.

Take the game slow, take the time to enjoy the amount of detail they put in this game.