Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by TheMix »

I have a Nostromo Speedpad that I use almost exclusively. The problem lately is that more of the recent games have keys mappings that exceed what's available on it. Woot had the Redragon K585 DITI One-Handed RGB Mechanical Gaming Keypad on sale yesterday. So I picked one up on a whim. Hopefully it'll help when I need a lot more button options. And if I end up liking it, I may swap it in for the speedpad full time.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I greatly prefer games that have, for example, an "Interact" button that can be used in 100 different situations rather than having to learn 100 different keys to cover every situation. And things like having to hold down the right mouse button and then hitting a key to talk to someone, rather than simply walking up to them and hitting a single key, are just bizarre, IMHO.

After tracking some deer and missing them 400 times, while all sorts of piecharts and numbers are flashing around on the right side of the screen (with no explanation given), I'm starting to think that this might actually be a game that requires advanced "twitch" skills, unlike the first one and therefore not my cup of tea after all.

I love how it tells you to call the deer to make them easier to hit, but doesn't tell you how. :roll:

I'm incredibly frustrated with this game right now, but not enough to throw in the towel. I just hope things start to get a little easier at some point. It's clearly a fantastic game but I was hoping that it would be a lot easier to play, like the first one.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:00 pm
Apollo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:58 pm The first game is one of my top 5 games of all time, so getting the second one on PC was a no-brainer for me. My only problem with the game so far (1.5 hours in) is the controls. This game seems to have a LOT of different key commands to remember, and none of them seem intuitive. I'm sure that as I play the game things will start to make more sense, but I'm really struggling with all the different commands, and how some need for the key to be held down and others don't.
Just get you a HOTAS and map them all individually.

You win the internet for today. :lol:

They really made a horrible control scheme in this game imho. I hated it on the PS4 and the PC isn't any better. The game is so good that I just shrug and forgive it. I promise you that 20 hours in you will still be looking at prompts. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
morlac

Post by morlac »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:33 pm I did see that you can switch to a FPS view, but (to me) it felt like slipping on an old pair of boots using the Xbox360 controller for this game...I'd imagine going first person and using KB/M would change quite a bit of the feel.
I have a feeling that mouse and keyboard will make the game too easy. I already played through the entire game on the PS4 with the controller. You're in for a f'n treat. I'm stoked to play it tonight so that should say something. :lol:
Which scheme makes it impossible to accidentally punch your horse? That's the one I need as I am a horrible horse abuser.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:05 pm You win the internet for today. :lol:
:D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Arthur is underweight. This is a situation of which I have practically no knowledge :roll:. I'm not anywhere near the camp and don't want to waste items eating the wrong ones, so what's a good solution?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
morlac

Post by morlac »

I'll repost this from earlier in the thread when it was console only as it still holds true:

Controls are hot garbage but after the first two hours they do get better as you get used to it. Those first couple hours are comically bad though. I accidentally punched the shit outta my horse trying desperately to swap out to the shotgun in the saddlebags when prompted. It makes a satisfying thud sound and horse neighed loudly. It was so satisfying that I did it a few more times hoping like an action RPG, that my horse would eventually just spit out my loot. Hell if I could figure out how to swap it out. He did not, but he did run off eventually causing me to reload after I worked him over pretty good. Yep, failed the tutorial due to horse abuse. Then in the first gunfight where you are to run point with the rifle I somehow whipped out my pistol instead. I did successfully loot it off horse without punching though, so progress! Then as the gang leader is splainin' the plan in a soft whisper as we are all hiding just our of ear shot I accidentally did a "Desk Pop" when trying frantically to swap said pistol out for the rifle. Hilarity ensued as the "plan" went to shit and everyone is now running around out of cover/position shooting at anything that moves like an intro to the Benny Hill show. I was getting yelled out for ruining the plan so they somehow just knew a player would go off the plan and screw it up. So blowing the plan was scripted :) I effectively lost in the tutorial twice causing reloads. I haven't had this much fun in a tutorial since dying 3 times in Space Rangers 2. 10 out of 10, will punch horse in gut and perform Desk Pops to ruin plans again.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 pm Arthur is underweight. This is a situation of which I have practically no knowledge :roll:. I'm not anywhere near the camp and don't want to waste items eating the wrong ones, so what's a good solution?
I played through the entire game and pretty much ignored the food. In my opinion it doesn't matter all that much. He's not going to drop dead or anything.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Apollo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:58 pm My only problem with the game so far (1.5 hours in) is the controls. This game seems to have a LOT of different key commands to remember, and none of them seem intuitive. I'm sure that as I play the game things will start to make more sense, but I'm really struggling with all the different commands, and how some need for the key to be held down and others don't.
At least with the PC version you have access to a keyboard, but imagine playing it on a controller.
Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:21 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 pm Arthur is underweight. This is a situation of which I have practically no knowledge :roll:. I'm not anywhere near the camp and don't want to waste items eating the wrong ones, so what's a good solution?
I played through the entire game and pretty much ignored the food. In my opinion it doesn't matter all that much. He's not going to drop dead or anything.
True, although you can certainly overeat and make Arthur fat :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

FWIW, Arthur's weight is a story-driven feature. Functionally, he can take more damage when at higher weight and has somewhat more stamina at lower weight. There will be plenty of food to keep his weight up once you start hunting. Don't hesitate to eat if you need to. You can also eat stew at your camp once per day (assuming you are bringing in hunting kills to the cook).

You don't need to be near Dutch's camp. Just hunt some birds or rabbits or something and camp in the open to cook it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Today's 3+ GB update broke my game :( . I tried the solution recommended on their support site but that was a bust. I finally used Win7 compatibility and that solved the problem, at least until they update it again :?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How do I improve the ammo status of my camp? I tried but it wouldn't let me donate ammunition.

Nevermind, I found the ledger :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Is there any advantage to carrying a whole dead animal like an antelope to Pearson? He doesn't want them whole, I have to skin them and get off the meat. So what is the advantage of being able to carry a whole dead animal on the back of a horse?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another question. I was able to display my reputation before the update, but now I can't remember how I did it. Under which menu item do I find it?

Oh, and one more thing. If you get challenged to a shooting contest, don't accidentally get on the wrong horse afterwards. The guy doesn't like that :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish I had it on PC rather than PS4.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My horse just died! Crap! I've been taking good care of it, feeding, brushing, patting, etc. I had gotten off it at the camp and went away and when I came back...

And I lost the pelts I had on the back. Did it wander into the fire?

Also, those Brownie camera sure take nice color wide format photos don't they :roll: :wink:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

More opportunity to practice your skinning?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've had multiple crashes so far which is a bummer. Not the end of the world, but geez I would expect a little more solid of a game from them. The last crash I got I was playing online and was checking if there's any aim assist. It's greyed out with the slider bars below it still enabled. Touched the slider bar to see if that does anything and bam crash. I gave up for the night after that.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every time the game or client updates, I get notified that it has detected files in the game directory that aren't approved or are unexpected. It then threatens me with a MP ban. They should probably fix whatever they're using to detect and report such things.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

No glitches here, yet, and I've figured out combat by purposely failing one of the tutorial missions over and over to get practice with the controls. There are still a lot of things that I don't know or remember how to do, like petting my horse when I'm standing next to him. But I'm getting there.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

jztemple2 wrote:My horse just died! Crap!
I had a complete disaster last night. I was walking back through town and hopped on a horse that I thought was mine. Turns out it wasn't. I immediately dismounted but not before some busybody driving by in a wagon starts yelling HORSE THIEF!!!!! and raising hell. So I found my horse, jumped on it, and take off after the guy.

My plan was to just threaten him so he wouldn't call the sheriff, but this guy was being a total jerk about it. I tried to ride in front of the wagon to get him to slow down and he suddenly just starts shooting at me. So I returned fire and we both start racing through town shooting at each other. I manage to hit him with a headshot and he goes down, but that is witnessed by another wagon driver who freaks out and starts racing away.

In my hurry to now get away from this second runaway wagon driver I ran blindly over a cliff and me and my horse perished in a bloody tangle.

Moral of this story. Don't accidentally get on the wrong horse.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seen a few funny videos about how a guy sees you kill someone and yells murder so you kill him and another sees you and on and on.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

JZ - if you don't hitch your horse, he will follow you around. He may have wandered into the fire.

As for rep - if you press down on d-pad it displays your current objective and also your reputation bar. Alternately - you can esc into the pause menu and go into the player section to check all the various status things for both you and you current primary horse.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 pm Moral of this story. Don't accidentally get on the wrong horse.
And for me, don't spend $150 on a horse that you might light on fire :doh:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:34 pm JZ - if you don't hitch your horse, he will follow you around. He may have wandered into the fire.

As for rep - if you press down on d-pad it displays your current objective and also your reputation bar. Alternately - you can esc into the pause menu and go into the player section to check all the various status things for both you and you current primary horse.
Thanks, I knew that info was somewhere.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 am Did it wander into the fire?
Possibly, although I've never personally had it happen on my playthrough. You can hitch your horse to practically anything, so if you're in the middle of a forest, it might be wise to hitch it to a tree before wandering away.

And btw, you can actually physically carry your saddle to a new horse. But the saddle will also be at any stables.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm Seen a few funny videos about how a guy sees you kill someone and yells murder so you kill him and another sees you and on and on.
Yeah, the game tells you that you can catch up to them and kill or threaten witnesses, which can quickly lead to keystone cop-like hijinx. The alternative is that the witness will end up alerting authorities and then a posse will be sent for you. The fun thing is that when you come to towns in states where you've caused trouble, they'll remember it and give you grief about it as long as you haven't paid your bounty.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just came across the town of Saint Denis :shock:. Wow, it is so much bigger than any other place I've seen.

But, does it not have a hotel? I can't seem to find one.

UPDATE: I just got a prompt to "Wait Until Morning". So I guess I don't need a hotel. But I sure do need a bath :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok serious question time. I have this on PS4 but only played to Valentine back way early in the year. Is the mouse keyboard really as good to use as Im guessing? If so Ill wait on a huge sale in a couple years and then play the game. I didn't get a lot out of it on PS4 because the controls are all over the place and I never got used to them. Also Id like to be able to turn up my volume and on PS4 I barely can hear the game. I play it on my PC monitor with crappy little speakers. If I got it on PC someday I could play it on my system of course. It just seems so fun and I loved the first game but I didn't really like it when I played on PS4. Wish they'd let me get the PC version for like $10 since I own the PS4 version.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm Seen a few funny videos about how a guy sees you kill someone and yells murder so you kill him and another sees you and on and on.
Yeah, the game tells you that you can catch up to them and kill or threaten witnesses, which can quickly lead to keystone cop-like hijinx. The alternative is that the witness will end up alerting authorities and then a posse will be sent for you. The fun thing is that when you come to towns in states where you've caused trouble, they'll remember it and give you grief about it as long as you haven't paid your bounty.
Your going to love this video. Viva La Dirt League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra0-SDmtX4k
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

What control on the PC is block?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:51 pm What control on the PC is block?
The default is R.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Your going to love this video. Viva La Dirt League
Thats the exact video I was thinking of.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm [Your going to love this video. Viva La Dirt League
Heh, that's hilarious. I've seen another similar video, perhaps it was one done for the first game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm at a bit of a rut with the game. I've done all the missions showing on the map except the one in the territory labeled "Dead or Alive". I don't know if I'm ready for that. Turns out I don't have the patience for serious hunting and I'm getting bored with just randomly shooting whatever animals I come across for the pittance I get at the butcher.

So aside from just wandering around looking for a mission to pop up, do I now go into a life of crime? Dry gulching the local farmer on the way to market? Taking down the occasional stranger? Shooting squirrels for hell of it?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm I just came across the town of Saint Denis :shock:. Wow, it is so much bigger than any other place I've seen.

But, does it not have a hotel? I can't seem to find one.

UPDATE: I just got a prompt to "Wait Until Morning". So I guess I don't need a hotel. But I sure do need a bath :roll:
There is. Every town has a hotel where you can rent a room and have a bath. Just look for the fancy saloon in St-Denis. I say fancy, because there are actually two saloons in that town, one of them just selling food and alcohol, and the fancier one is the main one with the hotel. This one is in the upper part of St. Denis.

Btw, this map might be useful to anyone currently playing it: https://rdr2map.com/
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:53 pm I'm at a bit of a rut with the game. I've done all the missions showing on the map except the one in the territory labeled "Dead or Alive". I don't know if I'm ready for that. Turns out I don't have the patience for serious hunting and I'm getting bored with just randomly shooting whatever animals I come across for the pittance I get at the butcher.

So aside from just wandering around looking for a mission to pop up, do I now go into a life of crime? Dry gulching the local farmer on the way to market? Taking down the occasional stranger? Shooting squirrels for hell of it?
I wouldn't worry too much about about the hunting. It's not mandatory. As for missions, did you talk to everyone in your camp? They'll sometimes have missions for you. If it's late in the day, then sleep it off. Some missions will only show up during the day. What was your last mission?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

IIRC - the mission where you have to go into a hostile area has a work-around.
Spoiler:
You can make a run for a train station and pay off the bounty?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My last mission was rescuing Micah. Since I have a $300 bounty in West Elizabeth I thought I'm just slip across the river, do some bandit stuff and then come back to Valentine and be nice to get my reputation back up.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, West Elizabeth is tricky early on. They've done it that way because it's part of the plot and is fully unlocked towards the end of the game.
Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm IIRC - the mission where you have to go into a hostile area has a work-around.
Spoiler:
You can make a run for a train station and pay off the bounty?

As far as I can recall, that won't work if it's one of the main missions or side missions where having a wanted level is part of the story, as paying off a bounty is disabled in the interim.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti