Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Rumpy »

They should be selling it as part of an external drive bundle ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More info from Rockstar.
.Red Dead Redemption 2 arrives for PC on November 5th, and starting today, you can pre-purchase the game exclusively via the Rockstar Games Launcher. With a host of new additions and a range of technical, graphical and performance enhancements to make Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC the ultimate version of Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang’s open world epic. Here are the first stunning new PC screenshots and additional details
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:40 pm I was actually planning to buy this game, my first day one full price game purchase in a long time, but damn. My gaming computer has a lot of storage space and it's not enough. I don't have 150gb of free space, I have something like 32gb free if I combine the open space on all the drives. I have a ton of games installed, a massive media library, downloaded assets for games like graphics packs, it's ridiculous.

What they say about how you will gather up stuff to fill all available space is true. I used to be happy back when I had an 80gb hard drive. Now I have over 30 times that amount of space and I can't squeeze a game in there.
This is very true. I have 4 hard drives in my computer and still run into issues from time to time. :lol: I do take 1,000's of pictures a month so that has a lot to do with it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I got a 2TB NVMe when I rebuilt earlier this year. I still have the previous main 1TB SSD for stuff I want to archive off for a bit. If I don't have enough space between the two, then I need to uninstall some stuff.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Question to those who have played both the original and RDR2... is the gameplay on the second game much different than the first? I played the first on console and liked it enough to go all the way through the campaign, so I'm hoping they haven't messed around with it too much. The due date to pre-order it on the Rockstar launcher and get the bonuses is drawing near and I wanted to get some info. I'm not really interested in the online parts of it, I didn't have much interest in the GTAV online stuff.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

FWIW, I loved the first one and wasn't able to stay interested very far in the second. There are a lot of similarities, of course, but I don't know. I guess really my biggest complaint is all the travel time in the new one. It's one thing to ask me to watch myself cinematically ride my horse 8 realtime minutes* out to a mission destination, but another thing entirely to have the mission end way out in the middle of nowhere and make me ride 8 realtime minutes back to the mission hub. Repeatedly.

Something something immersive, I know, but I just don't have enough time for repeatedly being immersed in the world of cinematic horseback riding.

*or at least it felt like at least 8 minutes
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 am FWIW, I loved the first one and wasn't able to stay interested very far in the second. There are a lot of similarities, of course, but I don't know. I guess really my biggest complaint is all the travel time in the new one. It's one thing to ask me to watch myself cinematically ride my horse 8 realtime minutes* out to a mission destination, but another thing entirely to have the mission end way out in the middle of nowhere and make me ride 8 realtime minutes back to the mission hub. Repeatedly.

Something something immersive, I know, but I just don't have enough time for repeatedly being immersed in the world of cinematic horseback riding.

*or at least it felt like at least 8 minutes
Thanks for the reply. Wow, no fast travel, at least back to the hub?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 am Thanks for the reply. Wow, no fast travel, at least back to the hub?
I stopped before getting far enough to unlock it, but my understanding is that you have to go to your camp* and then you can fast travel to cities you've previously visited.

*oh and it looks like only your main base camp counts, so your smaller camps do nothing for you. If you're far from your main camp, you can buy a ticket for a stagecoach or train from a city to get to your city and then I presume you horse it out to your camp from there.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:17 am Question to those who have played both the original and RDR2... is the gameplay on the second game much different than the first?
Well, for one thing, it's much bigger. They've actually included the entirety of the original map that you can explore starting in the Epilogue. It's a much more intricate game. Sure, they're similar in that both are games set in the Old West, but they've much improved on the gameplay systems since the first game.

Fast-travel is done via stagecoach and trains. Some smaller towns will only have access to stagecoaches, which can take you to bigger towns with access to a train station. Stagecoach travel is different this time around. Previously, you could select from any destination on the map and travel just about anywhere and watch yourself travel there in realtime or skip it entirely. Now you can only select from predetermined locations and travel is instant with only a transitory loading screen in between. Personally, I preferred the previous way, but this one makes a bit more sense from a gameplay world perspective. They have added a cinematic mode for travelling on your horse, which is essentially the old stagecoach travel realtime travel system where you can set a destination anywhere on your map and just let the game take you there.

Fast-Travel at the camp only unlocks late in the game.
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I didn't have any issues with how they did the traveling in the game, but I could see how others wouldn't like it. This is not a game that you should try and plow through. It was built to be slowly played through and it works very well in that regard. The actual gameplay isn't much different. There's just some questionable controls for things like opening your weapon wheels and such. It was better in the original game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:35 pm This is not a game that you should try and plow through. It was built to be slowly played through and it works very well in that regard.
Yeah, definitely not meant to be plowing through it. They build it in such a way for players to savor their experience. Those who stick with it are rewarded with IMHO the best story Rockstar has done to date, with the epilogue leading into RDR.

I didn't have much in the way of trouble with controls. I quickly became accustomed to them. Once you get used to it, the issues pretty much disappear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for all the excellent observations. It certainly sounds like a game I'm going to enjoy, so I'll definitely be picking it up.

Now the next big issue. Which two bonus games do I get, when I already have all of them on Steam? :D
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 pm Thanks for all the excellent observations. It certainly sounds like a game I'm going to enjoy, so I'll definitely be picking it up.

Now the next big issue. Which two bonus games do I get, when I already have all of them on Steam? :D

Ya considering your love of detail, you'll like this. It's oozing with detail. It's a slow burn. Play it that way. It's not an action game. It has action in it, but it's not why you are there.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Agreed. One of my favorite memories of the game is riding down this super dangerous trail with my horse. It was terrifying and amazing at the same time. Spoiler we didn't make it. :lol:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really don't want to get *another* installer, but I gotta be honest - the idea of playing this game in three weeks is a huge, huge draw.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

Just remember, if you want to grow a big, beautiful beard, you'll need to use Hair Tonic after it gets to stage 6 growth.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:20 pm I really don't want to get *another* installer, but I gotta be honest - the idea of playing this game in three weeks is a huge, huge draw.
Probably what they were hoping. And it likely wasn't a coincidence that they made the launcher available just before announcing RDR2 coming to PC.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One of my favourite things about this game is the atmosphere. It's just dripping in it. As much as I liked GTAV, it all started to feel the same after awhile. But here, all the different environments feel distinct, and each of the towns are unique in their own design, less cookie-cutter aesthetics.

Another thing that really impressed me were the dynamic world-events, and this is something sure to be carried over to the next GTA. It's subtle, but helps in making the world feel more live-in.
Spoiler:
What am I talking about?? Well, imagine a forest of trees at the beginning of the game, that over time get logged and drastically alters a region by the end of the main story.
It technically doesn't add much to the gameplay, but in terms of immersion, it's a nice touch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok pre-order done.

Dammit Rockstar. They are literally the only game developer in history that has gotten me to double dip on a title. Three times now. :grund:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

PC Trailer:

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Looking pretty good!. I'm excited.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish I had it on PC rather than PS4. I might enjoy it and play it. One big trouble is sound.....monitor speakers maxed I barely hear it..worse with headphones. Would like it a lot on PC I bet. Oh well.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:17 pm Ok pre-order done.

Dammit Rockstar. They are literally the only game developer in history that has gotten me to double dip on a title. Three times now. :grund:
Dam too. I pulled the trigger. Pun intended! :D
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I want this game, but I want it on Steam. Does anyone know if it will be released on Steam or is this game exclusive to their new launcher?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Without scrolling back through the thread, I believe it is being released on Steam in early December.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am The Verge
Steam, meanwhile, will be coming on later: RDR2 will launch through Valve’s store in December. The game will also be a launch title on the Google Stadia streaming platform in November.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:09 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am The Verge
Steam, meanwhile, will be coming on later: RDR2 will launch through Valve’s store in December. The game will also be a launch title on the Google Stadia streaming platform in November.
And that's why I didn't bother scrolling back through the thread. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the thing...they haven't actually put up a page yet on STEAM for RDR2. I cannot shake this gut feeling that if it sells enough copies (whatever R* internal numbers say is enough) through their in-house platform, magically it won't show up anywhere else. The Google Stadia things is different enough that they might not care (and Google likely gave them a ton of money to get access), but I just wanted to voice my suspicions for posterity. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't know, I don't particularly think Rockstar would stoop to that kind of thing, particularly seeing as they did state it would be coming to Steam in their promotional material. Rather, I think the launcher will still be needed to access the game. I think Steam will give you a key which you can redeem via the launcher. This would more or less be an evolution to how their games currently work on PC anyway with needing a Rockstar account to login before you can play, which IMHO was a pain to deal with, at least with my experience with Max Payne 3. I'm hoping this ends up being a much smoother experience.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, you'll still need to log into R* Social Club via STEAM, no doubt. However, I really think that just after Black Friday (when you and I both know they're going to have a sale), they're going to announce some type of delay into 2020 for the STEAM arrival. Maybe it's an optimization thing. Or maybe it's because of upgrades to the Social Club. Either way, I am feeling pretty confident with my predication. I guess we'll see. :horse:
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I pre-purchased on Rockstar the day it was available. I've already verified I have plenty of space for it. I'm so ready!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Why am I counting the days to a game I have already beaten? :lol: I really want to dig into the online with the improved GFX. :horse:

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Would it be ok to start a new tread for when the PC version comes out?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 am Would it be ok to start a new tread for when the PC version comes out?
I think that would be a good idea, since the PC version is supposed to have enhancements and changes. Also there are some of us who never played it on a console so it would be fun to share the new experiences together.
naednek

Post by naednek »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 am Would it be ok to start a new tread for when the PC version comes out?
why? Don't see a purpose. Just post away in this thread.

I'm not one to double dip. I'm holding out for my brother to buy it for his PC and I can "borrow his account" :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think there could be concern of running into spoilers if going back and browsing this thread, but meanwhile, a new thread would be able to have everyone start off at the same point. Less opportunity for spoilers in a new thread where those who haven't played it can discover things at their own pace.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

It is now available via GreenManGaming too.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

With the speed of 2019''s internet, just uninstall games that you are not going to play in near future. You can always download them again when you want to play them.

Because of the size, I think I'll wait for it to be available on Steam since it is easier to manage game storage on Steam with the move game to other drive feature.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 pm With the speed of 2019''s internet,
Hilarious.

I was poking around and apparently R* still hasn't confirmed a PC pre-load will happen. That seems...like an unwise decision.