Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by jztemple2 »

I found a couple of gold bars so I paid off that $300 bounty and am now wandering around the area.

By the way, I looked at an online map. Holy moly, I didn't realize there was a whole state, New Austin, way off to the southwest. Lots of new territory to check out.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You know, I'm still trying to fulfill my first "perfect animal carcasses sent off to the exhibition" contract, for the squirrel and the rabbit. When I get one of them, I can't find the other before the first one decays.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 pm I found a couple of gold bars so I paid off that $300 bounty and am now wandering around the area.

By the way, I looked at an online map. Holy moly, I didn't realize there was a whole state, New Austin, way off to the southwest. Lots of new territory to check out.
Yep, the State from the first game. It only gets unlocked during the epilogue, as Blackwater is shared territory by both game maps.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:25 am
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 pm I found a couple of gold bars so I paid off that $300 bounty and am now wandering around the area.

Yep, the State from the first game. It only gets unlocked during the epilogue, as Blackwater is shared territory by both game maps.
Good to know about waiting till the epilogue, I was thinking about riding down there now.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, there isn't much reason for doing so before then anyway. It will all be made clear via the epilogue.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

Only played the console version but I doubt this has changed:

If you go into New Austin (before it opens up in the epilogue) outside of a specific scripted mission, you will not get very far into the territory. There are "can't miss" snipers waiting for you if you get past the swarm of bounty hunters that descend on you as soon as you cross the border.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Brian wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:18 pm Only played the console version but I doubt this has changed:

If you go into New Austin (before it opens up in the epilogue) outside of a specific scripted mission, you will not get very far into the territory. There are "can't miss" snipers waiting for you if you get past the swarm of bounty hunters that descend on you as soon as you cross the border.
Yikes! :shock:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So I need some hand holding here.

I’ve recently killed a legendary white bison.
Skinned it and I have the horn and pelt.

However, I do not have the icon for the Trapper on my map.

I thought Pearson told me about him previously. And I thought there was a paw print icon on my map before.

But now, nothing. And I have this huge pelt on my horse.
Need to deal with this.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There are a number of trappers on the map that you'll discover as you play through the game, so it's not like you'll ever be out of luck. I'm not sure how far into the story you are, but there's one near Riggs Station, which is not that far from Strawberry. There's also another in St-Denis, and one near Annesburg. There are also more of them out in the fringes, but these should help you for the time being.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Are they always there or do they (does he) move around?
I’m just worried he was killed or something

I’m not that too far in.
I’ve unlocked the stable.
I’ve not unlocked the fence.

But I’m certain I had the icon on my map once. I think it was the Riggs station camp. But it’s gone. (The icon)

Hmm. Just wanna get rid of this pelt.

There is only one of these legendary white bison pelts, right?

... and it’s the Trapper I need to give it too, right?
Brian

Post by Brian »

He doesn't move around and I don't think he can be killed. I think he (and all of his clones) will not always be at the trapper stand though as i believe he only appears at certain times of day.

Also, for Legendary pelts, once you've bagged the critter, it will automatically unlock the special builds (provided you have all the other materials) by the trapper so even if you lose the pelt (happened to me) or sell it to another vendor accidentally, you can still have the trapper build the outfits/trinkets.

And yes, only one Legendary creature of each type. Once you've bagged it, you're done for that animal.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:07 pm Are they always there or do they (does he) move around?
Always there, although times of day might have an effect. And no, like Brian says, they can't be killed. Even so, if that were to happen, they'd reappear after a little delay of a day or so.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I had issues with trapper this weekend. I went to him on three different days and each time I showed up, he would just turn around and walk away..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pretty interesting article from DF on RDR2's PC port. The gist of this article is that the PC port has graphics capabilities tuned for highest end and future cards. That PC gamers' should adjust their normal evaluation of "low" settings for this release, as the X-Box One X version has some settings at "below Low" relative to the PC version.

They are however critical of the game's instability.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 pm I had issues with trapper this weekend. I went to him on three different days and each time I showed up, he would just turn around and walk away..
Geesh man, when was the last time Arthur had a bath? :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

The only bug I've encountered so far is when I press "ESC" to get to the game menu. After a few seconds, the entire bottom of the screen glitches away, making it impossible to use the menu selections. While it's pretty annoying, I've managed to do what I need to do.

Now if I could just figure out how to use Dead Eye properly with keyboard and mouse controls...
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Apollo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 pm The only bug I've encountered so far is when I press "ESC" to get to the game menu. After a few seconds, the entire bottom of the screen glitches away, making it impossible to use the menu selections. While it's pretty annoying, I've managed to do what I need to do.

Now if I could just figure out how to use Dead Eye properly with keyboard and mouse controls...
I have this exact same issue. Does the same thing in the map. If I wait a couple of seconds and move around it seems fine.

FWIW - I have current firmware on my NVidia RTX GPU and also current drivers. It seems unaffected by stuff like Steam or Discord overlays running. I have checked.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I haven't seen that bug after 24 hours. The only one I've encountered is that sometimes when I go to the map it takes a couple of seconds for the map crosshairs to start responding to my inputs on the controller. Once it does start to move I'm fine.

Oh, and after the first update I had to select Win7 compatibility mode.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm back to playing it on PS4, and have to say that even after all this time, I keep finding new details I've never noticed. For instance: If you shoot at anything in the snow, like a wolf for instance, if it's injured enough it will leave a red blood trail. In this instance, I shot at some wolves, killed one and injured another. I was able to follow it back to where it eventually succumbed to its injuries and died.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I'm giving up for now on RDR2 after about 24 hours of gameplay and going back to Ghost Recon Breakpoint 2. It's not that I'm not enjoying the game, to a degree, but there are things about it that I might have tolerated before but now I find off putting.
  • Too many cutscenes. Yes, I can skip through them, but then I sometimes lose the point of the mission. And some just feel too darn long.
  • Too many long chats with other characters, usually while riding horses or wagons. Sometimes they seem to be time fillers.
  • I'm not really into the hunting or (heaven forbid!) the fishing activities. In the Far Cry series these felt tolerable, here they feel tedious.
  • The combat sequences don't have much variety. There's a set up for the gunfight, then I pick off what seem like waves of enemies.
  • I've unlocked fast travel, but most of the time I have to ride from point A to point B and it just isn't as interesting as it was for the first twenty or so hours.
  • Finally, ultimately, I feel like the game is missing what Sid Meier felt was the most important aspect of game design, "give the player interesting decisions". To start a gunfight I am directed to go stand right there. To get information from an NPC I am told to do exactly this then that. To stop a train I am told to move this object to that location. I feel like RDR2 could use a big dose of Deus Ex gameplay structure, where I have several ways to accomplish a task.
OK, let me make a big point. This is not a bad game, in fact it is a pretty good game. It is just that, for me, I just don't get that "let me play five minutes more" feeling. I do feel that in Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm [*]I'm not really into the hunting or (heaven forbid!) the fishing activities. In the Far Cry series these felt tolerable, here they feel tedious.
They're completely optional though, unless part of the storyline. But for the most part, unless you're a completionist, you don't have to do them. You can avoid them entirely and don't even have to do the tasks Pearsson gives you. The only hunting I really did was for the Legendary Animal trophies. So, don't feel bad about not wanting to do them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm [*]I'm not really into the hunting or (heaven forbid!) the fishing activities. In the Far Cry series these felt tolerable, here they feel tedious.
They're completely optional though, unless part of the storyline. But for the most part, unless you're a completionist, you don't have to do them. You can avoid them entirely and don't even have to do the tasks Pearsson gives you. The only hunting I really did was for the Legendary Animal trophies. So, don't feel bad about not wanting to do them.
I know they are optional for the most part. My point was that hunting and fishing represent a significant part of the content of the game but for me they aren't enjoyable.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The fishing is annoying for me because I have a hard problem turning the right thumbstick in circles to reel in. Its a clunky control motion made worse by double-jointed thumbs and a hand injury (old injury, permanent damage). So, it takes me awhile to land fish. I wish they had chosen to map reel-in to R2 (analog trigger).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've had problems with fishing too. I think they did it that way to mimic reeling in a rod, but it got tedious. It gets worse when you realize you have to reel bigger fish in at a faster rate to compensate for their strength. A tip would be to press downward on the left stick while reeling in, as this has the effect of pulling back on the rod to prevent slack and it makes it much easier. I'm not sure if they fixed it for the PC version, but I've found fishing to be a little glitchy. When in fishing mode, sometimes your view will glitch out as the game forgets you're anchored to a particular spot and view. I've also seen some strange things while fishing, such as fish swimming on land while I'm trying to reel them in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Yesterday's patch seems to have cleared up all the bugs I've noticed so far.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've just about made it to chapter 3 with no bugs that I could see. There is something about Rockstar's games that just hooks me. The setting, graphics and story have me very much in love.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I have no issues graphically since the patch at the end of last week. Also - fishing is now pretty easy. I don't know if they increased the reeling speed. But I did find that once I set the hook, I just turn my controller sideways and crank the thumbstick like a real fishing reel and it works great. It also probably helps that I'm not casting the line as far and am fishing closer.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I'm really, really enjoying this game. So glad I went through the trouble to upgrade my video card to play it.

I have a problem with "small" games like "Into the Breach" or "FTL". Even though I can tell in an objective sense that they are great games, they don't allow any room for my imagination, they don't insert me into another reality, which is apparently pretty important for me to really enjoy a game. Red Dead Redemption 2 is just the opposite: It gives me a huge world where I can wander around and live the life of a cowboy. And everything seems much more "real" than in many other open-world games. The level of detail is incredible, and everything moves at a realistic pace, unlike just about every other game I can think of. While the game isn't perfect, and I can certainly understand why many folks won't enjoy it at all, it scratches an itch for me like no other game I can think of.

I'm just so glad that we are at a point in the history of computer gaming where games like this are not only made but have lavish budgets to enable the designers to really make something memorable for folks like myself who don't want flashing lights, fireballs and bullets flying everywhere, but just want to experience another world, another life.

Man, do I ever dig this game! :P
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Apollo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Man, do I ever dig this game! :P
Agreed. I am SO glad they finally released it for PC. I'd never make it through this with a controller.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still waiting on an open world Dukes of Hazard game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Btw, one way to get a really good horse, and actually the best horse in the game, is to go back into the mountains from the beginning of the game near Lake Isabella and find the White Arabian. It's a unique wild horse which you'll have to tame, but it's got the best stats.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm I have no issues graphically since the patch at the end of last week. Also - fishing is now pretty easy. I don't know if they increased the reeling speed. But I did find that once I set the hook, I just turn my controller sideways and crank the thumbstick like a real fishing reel and it works great. It also probably helps that I'm not casting the line as far and am fishing closer.
It may become easier still if you haven’t yet discovered that you can see fish with Eagle Eye while your fishing pole is equipped.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Another crucial tip: You spin your handgun before holstering it if you Dbl-click the relevant control (I don’t know what that is on PC). This does not work when mounted.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I'm not sure how to continue. I only have a JE in blackwater on the map ,but I'm wanted dead or alive and as soon as I cross over I get jumped.

I also don't know how to get a rod for fishing.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You have to crossover from a very specific part of the map. Instead of using the bridge, look for a part of the river you can cross. It will be very evident when you find it.

As for the rod, it sounds like you haven't unlocked fishing yet. It happens via a mission in Chapter 2. Go to the camp and look for Jack and see if he doesn't want to go do something. It will essentially be the fishing tutorial. From then on, you'll always have a fishing pole in your inventory.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:31 pm You have to crossover from a very specific part of the map. Instead of using the bridge, look for a part of the river you can cross. It will be very evident when you find it.

As for the rod, it sounds like you haven't unlocked fishing yet. It happens via a mission in Chapter 2. Go to the camp and look for Jack and see if he doesn't want to go do something. It will essentially be the fishing tutorial. From then on, you'll always have a fishing pole in your inventory.
The mission where you take Jack fishing is triggered by a discussion with his mom in her tent. This mission trigger will show up as an "A" on your map (for Abigail) but it won't appear until after you have completed the missions "A Quiet Time" and "Pouring Forth Oil I-III".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really want to play this but on PC. I only played the PS4 version a little while ....like 4 or so hours...and the controls drove me nutty. I dont like it for some reason. I should love it. Maybe I can give it another go...would prefer PC though. Maybe next year there will be a sale.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

As I recall, the person whose initials are shown for the mission may or may not have much involvement at all with what you actually do, and for whom. I recall one egregious example with MO (Molly O’Shea) where you talk to her for about 10 seconds before Dutch and Hosea bust in and take you on some totally unrelated goose chase.
Makes it hard to have a little goddamned faith!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Apollo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:58 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:31 pm You have to crossover from a very specific part of the map. Instead of using the bridge, look for a part of the river you can cross. It will be very evident when you find it.

The mission where you take Jack fishing is triggered by a discussion with his mom in her tent. This mission trigger will show up as an "A" on your map (for Abigail) but it won't appear until after you have completed the missions "A Quiet Time" and "Pouring Forth Oil I-III".
Oh yep, you're right. I guess I must have forgotten that little detail, as there are other times you can simply interact with Jack.
RuperT wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 am As I recall, the person whose initials are shown for the mission may or may not have much involvement at all with what you actually do, and for whom. I recall one egregious example with MO (Molly O’Shea) where you talk to her for about 10 seconds before Dutch and Hosea bust in and take you on some totally unrelated goose chase.
That's true, but I think it also helps to make the game feel more dynamic. Life doesn't always take you where you expect it ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

I don’t disagree (especially as it mirrors particularly the haphazard existence of the gang under Dutch), but it makes it hard on a completionist who’s trying to figure out which mission to do last. 8-)