Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Skinypupy »

Played a few more rounds of Slay the Spire last night, and am starting to come around to the gameplay. Strategizing around how to use very limited resources is actually pretty fun. I beat the first tower boss a couple times, and have almost been able to get to the second boss (holy difficulty spike for Act 2, Batman!).

The overall aesthetic still does absolutely nothing for me though. I think it generally looks and sounds terrible, which usually doesn't bode well for long term engagement with me. We'll see.

Quick question. There's a "Daily Quest" listed on the main menu. My Switch is connected to WiFi, but no matter what I do, that daily quest says "Offline". Is there some sort of toggle I'm supposed to hit to make it go online?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not sure. I haven't tried the daily on Switch yet, only Steam. I do know that MegaCrit says a big Switch bug fix patch is coming any day now.

Wait till you reach Act IV. :)
YoungGrumpyMan

Post by YoungGrumpyMan »

Has anyone played Box Boy! + Box Girl! that would care to give me their impressions? Planning to buy it for the Switch, but wanted to hear people's opinions first, if anyone has played it.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Picked up The Last Remnant Remaster yesterday.

I have it a half-hearted try on two previous systems. Hoping this will be the time that I can actually figure out the “seems cool but is mostly just bonkers” combat system.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

For all those who recommended Gris, thank you!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ScreenRant
Nintendo now has the Switch and Switch Lite, but what are the differences between the two consoles besides one being mainly a handheld system? There have been months of rumors and fan speculation leading up to Nintendo's recent announcement of the Switch Lite, but it's now official and is scheduled to release on September 20.

Price: Nintendo Switch Lite is $100 cheaper since it's meant to be a cheaper alternative. The original Nintendo Switch costs $299.99 at retail whereas the Switch Lite costs $199.99.
Play Modes: The Switch Lite doesn't come with a dock, HDMI cable, or Joy-Con controllers since it cannot dock at all or output to a TV. It also doesn't have a kickstand. All of this is meant to compel players to use the system as a handheld console.

Games: Even though the Nintendo Switch Lite shares its name with the Switch, not all Switch games can be played on it. Every game played on the Switch Lite must have a handheld mode. If a game doesn't, then "players can wirelessly connect compatible controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. If using separate Joy-Con controllers, users will need to have a device to recharge them, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip."

Colors: While the Nintendo Switch is only sold in black, the Switch Lite will be available in three colors: yellow, turquoise, and gray. There will also be a special "Zacian and Zamazenta Edition" of the console to celebrate the release of Pokemon Sword and Shield. This version features cyan and magenta buttons as well as designs of the two new legendary Pokemon, and will hit stores on November 8.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have been seriously considering a second switch to reduce the amount of fighting in the house. This is a perfect solution. It's too bad it comes out two weeks after the youngest's birthday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Would he take a preorder confirmation?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes and tell me where to shove it!

OK, just kidding. He wouldn't have to tell me.

Still kidding. I'm kidding, right?

OK for reals though, I *think* it would be taken as intended as long as he also gets his go kart birthday party which will cost significantly more than a switch lite. Ugh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So this is the 3DS killer, eh?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The 3DS came out eight years ago. The XL was seven.

I'd say it's had a good run, what with 75M sold.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nintendo insists this is not replacing the 3DS.

In unrelated news, Nintendo is full of shit.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 pm So this is the 3DS killer, eh?
The big Switch already killed it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:29 pm The big Switch already killed it.
My 13 year old leads me to believe no, that's not the case - she still uses both.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm
My 13 year old leads me to believe no, that's not the case - she still uses both.
Huh. What's the next big 3DS exclusive to come? I feel like I haven't bought anything for it in ages.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hey, this looks like it could be a cool alternative for the kids to use!
Price: Nintendo Switch Lite is $100 cheaper since it's meant to be a cheaper alternative. The original Nintendo Switch costs $299.99 at retail whereas the Switch Lite costs $199.99.
Yay!
Play Modes: The Switch Lite doesn't come with a dock, HDMI cable, or Joy-Con controllers since it cannot dock at all or output to a TV. It also doesn't have a kickstand. All of this is meant to compel players to use the system as a handheld console.
Boo.
Games: Even though the Nintendo Switch Lite shares its name with the Switch, not all Switch games can be played on it. Every game played on the Switch Lite must have a handheld mode. If a game doesn't, then "players can wirelessly connect compatible controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. If using separate Joy-Con controllers, users will need to have a device to recharge them, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip."
...and I'm out.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:48 pmHuh. What's the next big 3DS exclusive to come? I feel like I haven't bought anything for it in ages.
She's been playing older Zelda games, Miitopia, one (more?) of the Animal Crossing games. She was just recommended to try Etrain Odyssey Nexus after going bananas for a tv/Youtube series called RWBY. The Switch is primarily used as a TV/Console device, whereas her 3DS is the portable gaming device. I feel like the 3DS is still easier to hold/manage/use for smaller hands and I think the battery life is way better.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's also easier to stick in a purse or under as seat with less fear of a cracked screen.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:08 pm It's also easier to stick in a purse or under as seat with less fear of a cracked screen.
...or loosened Joy-Con connections.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:48 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm
Huh. What's the next big 3DS exclusive to come? I feel like I haven't bought anything for it in ages.
To me the 3DS died when I finished Pokemon Moon (also it was born when I got Moon). My kids disagree, but they have no taste. Last month my youngest asked for a 2DS XL for his birthday. I solved that by giving my oldest my 3DS and XL and his 2DS XL to his younger brother. Which is why I am now thinking of giving him the baby switch so it isn't *all* hand me downs (Technically the Switch is his older brother's).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Is it fixing the (IMO biggest) issue of the Switch of not supporting any wireless headphones?

Overall, I have mixed feelings. I am surprised how much I actually use my Switch in the dock and with a large TV, as I don't think the handheld mode works so well with (or rather takes away a lot from) a good chunk of games (but then, I'm not someone who really play on the go, such as on a train or flight).

The non-detachable joycons are also a limitation, as some games really need the motion controls IMO, such as Super Mario World and even Breath of the Wilds (yes, both a playable without but it really adds a lot).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ChuckB wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 pm Is it fixing the (IMO biggest) issue of the Switch of not supporting any wireless headphones?
Nope. (no link, I just saw that called out specifically in some article I read)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am moving soon and downsizing so I just sold the vast majority of my old game systems. (Amusingly, the Nintendo stuff I sold was by far the stuff that generated the most money.) I got rid of virtually all of my portable gaming systems except one - the 3DS. Is it because I loved my 3DS? Absolutely not. But, I can't play Zelda Link Between Worlds anywhere else. Been replaying it lately. Just fantastic. May reconsider selling the 3DS after I finish it. I considered selling my Switch which I haven't used since finishing Mario Odyssey. I hope the Link's Awakening remake is good since I never finished that one.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You know that piece that slides onto the Joy con when you take them off and use them as individual controllers? What would you call that piece?

My kids lost one of them and I'm trying to find a replacement, but I'm not sure what to search for. The only thing I can find is just the strap replacement, and I need the whole piece.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Prima Games tells me:
intendo Switch Package Contents
  • Nintendo Switch Console
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R)
  • Joy-Con Straps (2)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Branded High Speed HDMI Cable (3 foot)
  • Nintendo Switch USB-C AC Adapter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:24 pm
ChuckB wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 pm Is it fixing the (IMO biggest) issue of the Switch of not supporting any wireless headphones?
Nope. (no link, I just saw that called out specifically in some article I read)
Morons
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Playing Darkest Dungeon now. Holy shit this game is good! This is now 3 games in a row on the Switch that have blown me away (Moonlighter, Gris, and now Darkest Dungeon). This is becoming my favorite console!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Nintendo is unveiling an updated version of its Switch console today, with promises of improved battery life. The new model will include approximately two extra hours of battery life, bringing the estimates of usage to between 4.5 and 9 hours. Nintendo’s current Switch has an estimated battery life of between 2.5 and 6.5 hours.

Nintendo’s Switch product page doesn’t reveal exactly how the company has achieved this improved battery life, but it’s likely thanks to a new system-on-chip inside and updated memory. A recent FCC listing revealed that Nintendo was planning to update the Switch with a new CPU and storage. This new model, dubbed HAC-001(-01), should start appearing in stores soon. You’ll need to check for serial numbers starting with XKW to make sure you get the model with the best battery life.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am The Verge
Nintendo is unveiling an updated version of its Switch console today, with promises of improved battery life. The new model will include approximately two extra hours of battery life, bringing the estimates of usage to between 4.5 and 9 hours. Nintendo’s current Switch has an estimated battery life of between 2.5 and 6.5 hours.

Nintendo’s Switch product page doesn’t reveal exactly how the company has achieved this improved battery life, but it’s likely thanks to a new system-on-chip inside and updated memory. A recent FCC listing revealed that Nintendo was planning to update the Switch with a new CPU and storage. This new model, dubbed HAC-001(-01), should start appearing in stores soon. You’ll need to check for serial numbers starting with XKW to make sure you get the model with the best battery life.
Bleh! I was going to get the Lite, but this sounds more useful. I'm just worried they will announce yet another Pro version which I will also want.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I need Marvel Ultimate Alliance reviews/impressions. Anybody pick this up yet?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:I need Marvel Ultimate Alliance reviews/impressions. Anybody pick this up yet?
Seconded.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 pm
Kurth wrote:I need Marvel Ultimate Alliance reviews/impressions. Anybody pick this up yet?
Seconded.
Oh, fine. You made me go and get it! Playing tonight. Will try to provide impressions tomorrow.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 pm
Seconded.
Oh, fine. You made me go and get it! Playing tonight. Will try to provide impressions tomorrow.
Great success!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Survey says?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Survey says: More of the same, but that's decidedly not a bad thing. If you liked the earlier games in this series, you're pretty sure to like this one, and playing on the Switch is always a bonus. It's a classic button masher with all the Marvel goodness baked in, but there also looks to be a relatively shallow but fun character upgrade system with a decent progression tree.

Voice acting is solid. They don't have the actual Avengers cast, but the voices are pretty close and generally delivered well enough that it's not a distraction.

Camera is an annoyance at times, but there is an adjustment you can make in the System options that allow for a tighter follow to your activated character, which I've found to be helpful.

Only noticeable Switch-related drawback: Graphics take a noticeable hit when not docked. Not so noticeable that it impacts my enjoyment, but it's there. On the upside, the frame rate stays silky smooth with very few exceptions. Every now and then, I've seen that massive combined special attacks on a boss (which leave the entire screen filled with pyrotechnics) result in frame rate issues, but other than that, no real issues.

Also, tried out Infinity Rifts, which, from what I can tell, are basically are stand-alone missions where you replay a boss battle with new, specific mission goals (finish in under X minutes; kill X enemies; perform X number combos).

I'm only a couple hours into this game, so take the above with a grain of salt, but so far, I'm very happy with it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. I never played the prior games but it looks fun.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Anyone else excited for Fire Emblems? Just got it pre-ordered and downloading it now to get ready for Friday.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

rittchard wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:18 pm Anyone else excited for Fire Emblems? Just got it pre-ordered and downloading it now to get ready for Friday.
I've at least got it on my wishlist now but I'm on the fence about whether I need it ASAP or if I can wait for a sale. Early reviews look really promising, though! I didn't realize they had done away with the rock-paper-scissors combat model, so I'm very curious to hear how well the new system works.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Courtesy notice that the voucher deal ends this month. I'm debating using it for Fire Emblem and Link's Awakening. It's a good deal if you can think of two games you'd buy at full price digitally in the next few months. Saves you $20.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I bought Fire Emblem after work today. I think this is going to be my kind of game.. depth and story. Really like what I see after the first hour or so.