Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1431. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:51 am
Zaxxon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 am
GameStop has a bunch of Turquoise Lights in Denver for store pickup.
Thanks. Lites are actually pretty easy to get. The problem is Animal Crossing gets locked to the device and they all want the option to play on the big screen when it is available. Which means they are going to have to wait (likely) months for the systems to be restocked.
Ahh, makes sense. Yeah, I've been considering getting one for my 8.5 y.o., but I'd probably want a 'full' one for her, too.

I also haven't picked up Animal Crossing, as it's never done much for me. Though my only direct experience with it has been the crappy micro-transaction mobile version. Thoughts on whether it's something an 8 year-old would like? She's currently been hooked on Slay the Spire and Heave-Ho, but with the Coronavirus dealie likely to have us stuck at home for at least another full month, I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Keep a watch on the big online retailers. Best Buy had them in stock for a few hours Friday morning.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:53 am
stessier wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Thanks. Lites are actually pretty easy to get. The problem is Animal Crossing gets locked to the device and they all want the option to play on the big screen when it is available. Which means they are going to have to wait (likely) months for the systems to be restocked.
Ahh, makes sense. Yeah, I've been considering getting one for my 8.5 y.o., but I'd probably want a 'full' one for her, too.

I also haven't picked up Animal Crossing, as it's never done much for me. Though my only direct experience with it has been the crappy micro-transaction mobile version. Thoughts on whether it's something an 8 year-old would like? She's currently been hooked on Slay the Spire and Heave-Ho, but with the Coronavirus dealie likely to have us stuck at home for at least another full month, I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve.
All my kids 11 and 6 absolutely LOVE it. To the point where they’ve given up Minecraft entirely just to play AC, something I thought would never happen.
For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
stessier wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:

All my kids 11 and 6 absolutely LOVE it. To the point where they’ve given up Minecraft entirely just to play AC, something I thought would never happen.
/me slinks away to choose software to archive...

stessier

Post by stessier »

wonderpug wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
Keep a watch on the big online retailers. Best Buy had them in stock for a few hours Friday morning.
Hmmm, interesting. I'll keep checking then.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am
Skinypupy wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
stessier wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:

/me slinks away to choose software to archive...
I’d also add that while the previous AC games have never done much for me, this version has really clicked. I find myself spending hours picking weeds, catching fish, chopping wood, and talking to other animals on my island. It’s oddly relaxing, very much like a digital zen garden. Ymmv, but I’m finding it wildly addicting and satisfying.

Be warned though, there is only one island per console, and everyone has to share it. You can’t create your own island, then have the kiddo create a separate island on their profile. Everyone shares and works together on the same one. This isn’t the complete dealbreaker I originally thought it might be, but it’s definitely less than optimal. Especially for those of us with kids.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I heard that but the implications are a little lost on me since I've never really played the series. I'm guessing we'll be ok.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 pm
I heard that but the implications are a little lost on me since I've never really played the series. I'm guessing we'll be ok.
Think of it like Sim City (which I assume you’ve played a version of at some point). Instead of each person in your house having their own city to build, create, and develop as they would like, the only way to play is to share a single city with everyone. So if the kids want to let Godzilla loose to trample the power plant or dig a giant river right through the middle of your well-planned town, there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

Supposedly, it was designed that way to help players learn to work together. In reality, it’s already led to at least two screaming matches in my house when one Wonder Twin takes a resource the other one wants. :lol:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, should be interesting, at least.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Update: everyone's addicted. Fine with the island sharing, but wish I had known that only the first person to have played the game gets to advance the development of the island.

Whoops.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After reading this article, I caved and picked up the Xenoblade Chronicles Remaster on Switch. Sounds like they fixed the most glaring issue I had with the game, figuring how to complete all the overly vague sidequests.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition doesn’t fix the game’s side quest problem, but it does make them easier to get done. Improved maps and markers show players exactly where they need to go to check off their adventuring shopping list. Setting a quest to active displays a marker on the mini-map, leading directly to the objective. It’s great for those of us who feel compelled to check on every exclamation-pointed quest giver before moving on to the next plot point.
This will now be a triple dip for me. I bought a Wii system specifically for this game, same with a New 3DS. While there were tons of things I liked about it, I only got about halfway through on Wii (mainly due to the questing issues) and barely touched the 3DS version (because it looked and controlled like garbage). I'm really liking what I'm seeing for Switch though, and it looks like most of the problems that drove me off previously have been addressed.

I just wish they would find a way to port over the Xenosaga trilogy. Those were some of my favorites on PS2. KOS MOS is one of my favorite JRPG characters ever.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A couple of our joycons were experiencing serious drift, to the point of being unusable, so I took the plunge and ordered a third-party joycon repair kit (this one).

Performing surgery on a joycon is pretty interesting. It's clear that these things weren't meant to be serviced, given how hard they are to dissect. Lots of delicate ribbon cables flopping around. Essentially, you have to pull the entire controller apart, remove the stick unit, and replace it with a new one.

Results were mixed. The left joycon is a complete success: the new stick is dead-center and rock-solid. The right joycon ought to work, since the new stick isn't shaky or drifting, but the Switch thinks that its neutral position is pretty far off-center. The built-in calibration app ought to fix this, but doesn't have any effect.

Since these were our "extra" joycons, I'm just going to chalk this up as a semi-successful weekend project and not worry about it.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nintendo's Summer Game Sale is on right now, and it's a doozy.

Some highlights for me:

Several 1st-party games 30% off--Mario Tennis Aces, Fire Emblem, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario Party, Mario Bros U Deluxe

Older games with big discounts:
Slay the Spire
Talos Principle
Diablo III
Torchlight II
Dead Cells
Gris

Marios & Rabbids at 75% off
Lego games at a huge discount
Resident Evil games half off or better
Wolfenstein, Dark Souls, and Skyrim all halfish off.

naednek
Loading…

Post by naednek »

So Ethan has been saving up for a switch with help from mom and dad, and grandparents. He's been doing chores, washing cars and raising money in hopes to get it by Christmas.

I found a barely used switch that comes with an Amazon Basic Switch case, Mario Kart Deluxe, Pro controller for $350. I got them down to $325. I feel like that's a great deal, considering if everything was brand new it would be $460 before taxes.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not bad, no. Especially given the fact that you really can't get all that stuff new very easily right now.