GWENT [The Witcher Card Game]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

GWENT [The Witcher Card Game]

Post by hitbyambulance »

you can sign up for the open beta here:
https://www.playgwent.com/en

there seems to be an emphasis on passing on your remaining turns in a round - or even intentionally losing a round - that i am finding difficult to internalize. (as in, knowing exactly *when to do so.)
coopasonic

Re: GWENT [The Witcher Card Game]

Post by coopasonic »

I got into the closed beta yesterday but apparently I signed up to play on the xbone... that makes me less likely to just sit down to play at any particular point.
hitbyambulance wrote:you can sign up for the open beta here:
https://www.playgwent.com/en

there seems to be an emphasis on passing on your remaining turns in a round - or even intentionally losing a round - that i am finding difficult to internalize. (as in, knowing exactly *when to do so.)
That comes straight from the game in Witcher 3. You want your opponent to pay dearly for a win in a round so you have a card advantage in future rounds. It's key to beating a lot of the CPU opponents. I expect humans to be way tricksier.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I signed up for the beta but haven't heard anything yet.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I got an invite yesterday and was able to play for just over an hour last night. That was enough time to do all of the tutorials and play 4-5 games against real people. I lost most of those games though since my deck is mostly starter cards at this point. To get more I could buy booster pack called "kegs" for a random draw of 4(?) cards +1 (pick out of 3, discard the other 2) to add to my deck, or grind up a resource called Ore to buy Kegs with. A Keg cost 100 Ore, I earned 45 during my time playing. You are also gifted a few Kegs in the beginning to get you started.

The game itself is pretty similar to the version that is in Witcher 3 but it there are some new cards and tweaks to existing cards and abilities. Some of the Faction special abilities have been tweaked a bit too, I think. My guess is that this was done to make all cards useful and to balance things a bit. For instance, Ballista cards now reduce an opposing card's value by two when it is played in addition to having its own value. As in Witcher 3, you can not target Gold cards with most abilities.

There also seems to be 3 tiers of cards instead of 2. Gold (Rare), Silver (Uncommon), Bronze (Common). Gold is your named characters like Geralt, Bronze are soldiers, low level monsters etc. I'm not sure how Silver are different from Bronze yet other than in rarity and the limit you are allowed to have in your deck.

All in all, I like it. I'm a little worried about the micro transactions to buy cards to avoid the Grind and make it hard for people who don't spend any real money difficult to compete. Still, I really liked the side game in Witcher 3 and am excited for this standalone version.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Archinerd wrote:All in all, I like it. I'm a little worried about the micro transactions to buy cards to avoid the Grind and make it hard for people who don't spend any real money difficult to compete. Still, I really liked the side game in Witcher 3 and am excited for this standalone version.
I find it punishing to the newbie. I guess I need to try different decks but I have had very little luck in a half dozen matches last night. I want to see the campaign, but I am not too excited about vs at this point.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

coopasonic wrote:
Archinerd wrote:All in all, I like it. I'm a little worried about the micro transactions to buy cards to avoid the Grind and make it hard for people who don't spend any real money difficult to compete. Still, I really liked the side game in Witcher 3 and am excited for this standalone version.
I find it punishing to the newbie. I guess I need to try different decks but I have had very little luck in a half dozen matches last night. I want to see the campaign, but I am not too excited about vs at this point.
Yeah, I lose way more than I win. But I'm okay with that, for now.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Never played it in Witcher III, I don't see myself buying it as a separate game...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
tgb

Post by tgb »

DD* wrote:Never played it in Witcher III, I don't see myself buying it as a separate game...
Same here, except it's ftp.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: perhaps another Beta Key giveaway

Nilfgaard is here - Celebrate with a huge Beta keys giveaway
Claim your own spot under the Great Sun.

The Emperor's troops are invading in full force! Meet them for a round of GWENT by claiming one of the 20,000 Beta keys up for grabs!
Nilfgaard, the fifth playable faction for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game has just been released, bringing a slew of new cards, mechanics, and devious strategies to the table. GOG.com celebrates its arrival with a huge giveaway and all brave card slingers are invited to join.
It's simple: just enter using the widget below and go give Emhyr var Emreis our kindest regards.

But act fast - it's first come, first served!

For more information about the new faction, as well as all changes introduced in the latest GWENT update, head over this way.
Ain't nobody got time for that
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I just received an email invite to the closed beta this morning... I've played a few games so far - if anybody wants to add me as a friend in GOG Galaxy to boost your win percentage, you can find me as infinitelurker. Although, I don't know if the friend matches work yet, I just clicked it, and it brought up a mostly blank screen to select a friend to play against. However, I don't have any yet (sad panda) and I couldn't exit the screen...
-something witty-
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Nilfgaard remains the dumbest name ever for a supposedly sinister and threatening empire.
Black Lives Matter.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Got my beta key today andbhave done the tutorials. Will add you when i get home :)

GOG Name of Peldor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have three GWENT closed beta keys if anyone wants one. I don't know if it is choose your platform or not. It doesn't specify in the email. First three PMs get them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:I have three GWENT closed beta keys if anyone wants one. I don't know if it is choose your platform or not. It doesn't specify in the email. First three PMs get them.
I'd like one, Coop, if I can use it on the XBONE.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I still have one unclaimed key if anyone else wants it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i know someone who would be interested
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

All my keys are spoken for now. Enjoy!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

Enlarge Image

:coffee: ... GWENT Public Beta now available

Enlarge Image

You can download GWENT from GOG.com and start playing immediately.

Enlarge Image

also available for XBOX1 .. PS4
KDH

Post by KDH »

:csmile: ... Participants Of Gwent "Closed Beta" Receive The Witcher 2 For Free
If you took part in the Gwent closed beta, then you're also getting a free copy of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings as a thank you from GOG.com.

Simply log into the GOG account you used for the beta and follow the instructions to claim your copy before 8 a.m. EST on May 29.

CD Projekt Red has announced a public beta for Gwent launching tomorrow, on May 24. Those who participated in the closed beta will also have a head start in the upcoming open beta. They will receive a number of Card Kegs equal to the amount they purchased with real money during the closed beta, plus bonus Kegs based on the level and rank they achieved.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

KDH wrote:.
:csmile: ... Participants Of Gwent "Closed Beta" Receive The Witcher 2 For Free
If you took part in the Gwent closed beta, then you're also getting a free copy of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings as a thank you from GOG.com.

Simply log into the GOG account you used for the beta and follow the instructions to claim your copy before 8 a.m. EST on May 29.

CD Projekt Red has announced a public beta for Gwent launching tomorrow, on May 24. Those who participated in the closed beta will also have a head start in the upcoming open beta. They will receive a number of Card Kegs equal to the amount they purchased with real money during the closed beta, plus bonus Kegs based on the level and rank they achieved.
I participated, but get no indication of getting Witcher 2 for free on GOG.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Gwent's singleplayer mode goes standalone as Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Announced during an otherwise dull financial results conference streamed on Twitch, CD Projekt Red announced a minor surprise today. Their long-awaited Gwent singleplayer campaign has grown into a separate and self-contained game all of its own. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is its new, Gwent-free name, and while obviously related to the free-to-play card game, the company are calling it a lengthy RPG in its own right. As such, it will be sold as a standalone retail game.

During the conference, CD Projekt Red were keen to emphasise that Thronebreaker is an RPG first and a card game second. They said it will offer over thirty hours of story with the usual Witcher-style moral decisions to be made, with combat and other such moments of ‘action’ resolved through Geralt’s favourite card game. I’m immediately reminded of the old 1997 Magic: The Gathering game by Microprose, which was a sprawling RPG with dungeons, monsters, bosses and more that just happened to use the famous CCG as its combat engine. I could stand another of those.

CD Projekt also said that while Thronebreaker is obviously aimed at existing Gwent fans, they hope to appeal to fans of The Witcher series who are looking for more stories set in its grim and grimy world of fantastical medieval politics. We got a peek at what Thronebreaker had to offer last year (including confirmation that the writer of the excellent Bloody Baron quest-line from The Witcher 3 is involved), but it sounds like it has far outgrown its original concept. If nothing else, it’s nice that Thronebreaker will still exist even if Gwent fizzles out at some point down the line.

There’s no release date or price set for Thronebreaker yet, although you can see some early screenshots on its GOG store page here, still using the old title.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm pretty sure I am buying that. Gwent is fairly close to my favorite part of The Witcher 3, but I couldn't really get into the PvP game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:10 pm I want to see the campaign, but I am not too excited about vs at this point.
Hey look, I am consistent. I said basically the same thing two years ago.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I’m immediately reminded of the old 1997 Magic: The Gathering game by Microprose
While the game was buggy, Shandalar and expansions were worth playing through those bugs, so this is good praise. I don't think any of the card shuffler games dungeon games I've played since have lived up to it, though Card Hunter came fairly close and it's campaign had personality. That was probably the last F2P game I gave money to.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yeah....I'll believe when I see it. Shandalar is still one of my favorite all time games.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tl;dw - Launch date for the Homecoming overhaul is 23 Oct 2018 on PC, 4 Dec 2018 on consoles.

Still no price announced for Thronebreaker, which shares the 23 Oct 2018 release date.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm ready for Homecoming.
I played this until about July - logging in only to take advantage of special card keg weekends since then (current card collections will be refunded full mill value at release of homecoming).

I'm intrigued by the changes coming and hopefully they achieve better game balance and more interesting & varied decks.
I got pretty tired of seeing the same 3 or 4 decks all the time but the core of the game had me hooked since I first played it in Witcher 3.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Do we still have to drive this to page two before someone buys the single player version and posts impressions?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My initial impression is that it's a 6.5Gb download. :coffee:

Between Kingmaker and Odyssey, it might be a while before I spend much time actually playing it.

In lieu of gameplay impressions, please enjoy this nice launch video:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 am My initial impression is that it's a 6.5Gb download. :coffee:

Between Kingmaker and Odyssey, it might be a while before I spend much time actually playing it.

In lieu of gameplay impressions, please enjoy this nice launch video:

Thought I'd take one for the team tonight. 6.5 Gigs is bringing my 2 down 1 up internet to its knees. So I guess it will be tomorrow, though I have to get up way too early on Thursday, so maybe I just could have held off on dropping thirty bones until later...
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'm enjoying it but I'm not far into it. Lots of choices to make and not all of them easy
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I managed to get it downloaded and played about an hour last night. I now the GOG gateway installed and I'm already regretting that. So far the gateway seems pretty intrusive for my crappy Internet. Add that to Steam being too intrusive for a much larger library, and... I'ma see what I can do to keep the gateway from starting automatically on reboot.

But enough of that. First impressions.

The Shandalar comparison that caught my attention. Take it right off the table. The game is advertised as 30 hours of game play and I can see now that most of that is going to spent being carried by a story. They put *a lot* of effort in to the story. That seems obvious. If that is your thing then this is at the top of the game, literally. After an hour, as queen it was a little weird to me most of my time playing vs listening to story was spend scavenging and looting the country side. That was... odd...

Having not played GWENT, I liked the approach to card playing and that you get to both play cards to "solve puzzles" and to play against an opponent. So far the actual dynamic for card playing is unique enough to be interesting to me as I 'm learning the concepts.

I'm not far enough along to have an opinion on the deck building part of the game.

The scope of the game looks on first glance, small for my tastes. My kingdom is like two square miles on foot and so far not a lot of fighting, mostly it's been looting and a couple of puzzles. I think that's what gamers like nowadays but I like more. Shandalar, whose name was called was huge and the landscape changed so you could continue to grow. I'm thinking the deck building here is going to be extremely limited in design, so the need to grow is also going to be limited and pretty much the same on every play through.

I'm still undecided on the UI. Not everything is immediately identifiable to me,, so I have to get used to the fact that I'm old and see how I adapt before judging. But nowadays the UI is a big big part of gaming for me.

In short, the game is very pretty. It's a work of fiction, not just a game. The tactical game is interesting enough to make me not regret buying the game right away. The Strategic overlay that is driven by the work of fiction, looks like it's going to be very much subpar, hiding behind the story.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I too have purchased, downloaded and played a small amount.
I agree with LM about the Shandalar comparisons......way off.
But I think there may be a good gaming experience here. I have a very limited knowledge of GWENT, and they seem to have expanded on that aspect of the game. There is a lot to take in. I'm heading to Cleveland for a week and have a 7 hour train ride each way. Plenty of learning time......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This could well be the next game for me to pick up and barely play.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:19 am This could well be the next game for me to pick up and barely play.
If you have $30 to pick up a game for a game to barely play, I can give this a high recommendation. It's doing something I haven't done before with a card shuffler, it's very pretty, and there is some story to take in that is well done that may or may not be really good as you move along.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

[thronebreaker] Played all the way through the first map, which means there is more than just the first map. Thank goodness. I couldn't figure out how to unlock upgrades for purchases in my camp I assume they get unlocked as I move forward. I'm pretty unhappy with UI in that regard. Much of the UI is unnatural for me and I don't see the utility in their changes. I've had a few bugs. Combat, aka the guts of the game is light. Most of the game is spent in a linear fashion in the diablo like iso interface looking for things to look and advancing the story.

I *do* like the tactical game so far but I'm really not a fan of how it's been pulled together. I should still get my $30 out of it, I think. I have no idea if it will encourage me to play GWENT. The MP game F2P game doesn't look like it's going to have legs for me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:31 am The game is advertised as 30 hours of game play and I can see now that most of that is going to spent being carried by a story. They put *a lot* of effort in to the story. That seems obvious. If that is your thing then this is at the top of the game, literally. After an hour, as queen it was a little weird to me most of my time playing vs listening to story was spend scavenging and looting the country side. That was... odd...
All the reviews I've read indicate that the deep, involving story is the primary selling point here. Which I'm very excited about, as that's the part of The Witcher games that I tend to enjoy the most.

Less excited about the card game itself, as those tend not to hold my interest for very long. In all the previous CCG's I've played (MtG, ES Legends, Hearthstone, etc.) I always end up getting utterly lost in the complexity of building an effective deck from a bazillion card options. I've heard this game streamlines that process a bit, which would be helpful.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Picked this up last night, played the first couple hours. I love the story and world-building, and the card game battles seem fun. Not a fan at all of the “puzzle” battles at all though. Being tasked to read the devs mind and figure out a specific order to play a dozen different cards, or having to do advanced calculus to reach an exact damage number is not my idea of fun. Unfortunately, puzzle battles seem more prevelant than anything else so far, so I mostly came away from the first couple hours feeling very ‘meh’.

Also annoyed that the only place I can get it right now is GoG. Really wanted to play it on the big screen (either via PS4 or Steamlink), but neither of those is an option until the PS4 release in December.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thronebreaker is on Steam now. I'm glad I waited.

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gwent is up on Steam.
It's almost as if people are the problem.