Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.mw5mercs.com/

Single player only. Finally. I hope to hell I can actually take OFF legs and stuff so I can salvage mechs and not just see a limp or a dark spot on them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Re: Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries

Post by coopasonic »

Interested, of course, but 2018... VR please.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I uh, want this to be good, and not full of pay-to-win online crap.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

NickAragua wrote:I uh, want this to be good, and not full of pay-to-win online crap.
There is no online..its single player only.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So is this supposed to be using the same engine as MWO?

I could really get into a storyline mission system using that. No lag and some mission variety from the online modes hopefully. The AI for such a thing would be awfully challenging though I would think. Could make or break it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No different engine. MWO uses CryEngine and MW5M will use Unreal 4.

Side thought..I found MW2 and MW3 sound paks for MWo and just installed the MW2 one bitchin betty...its sooooo sweet to hear it all again...has computer voice, music, and weapons effects.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They've put a lot of time and effort into getting licensing together that's been fragmented for ages. I hope it extends into this title and that it's not only worth playing, but ends up with a handful of expansions that bring in a lot of variety in locations and mechs. I played through the last Mercenaries game several times and would enjoy a new experience.

I'm not intimately familiar with the timeframes in MechWarrior, but they specifically indicate that they're working in at least a 500-year window (from the guy mentioning the 500 year old Mech they were using)... so that might mean any Mech could be found in the game, not just a narrow listing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Paingod wrote:They've put a lot of time and effort into getting licensing together that's been fragmented for ages. I hope it extends into this title and that it's not only worth playing, but ends up with a handful of expansions that bring in a lot of variety in locations and mechs.

I'm not intimately familiar with the timeframes in MechWarrior, but they specifically indicate that they're working in at least a 500-year window (from the guy mentioning the 500 year old Mech they were using)... so that might mean any Mech could be found in the game, not just a narrow listing.

This takes place in 3015 during the Third Succession war where tech was extremely limited and being dispossessed was real thing. This was also before the Gray's Death Legion found the Star League Core that basically restarted industry. So no Clans or Clan Tech, thankfully
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Some day I'm going to spend time and actually learn the timelines in this game. I love the theme to death, but all I've ever cared about was "MECH COMBAT!"
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote:Some day I'm going to spend time and actually learn the timelines in this game. I love the theme to death, but all I've ever cared about was "MECH COMBAT!"
To be honest, there's just way too much stuff going on. It's like someone took a crowd of poli-sci nerds and told them they had to write a story about giant combat walkers with big guns.

I still have fun with the battle mechs though. I just... don't really care who manufactured the AC5, or the socio-political ramifications of dropping a lance of mercenaries into a city to engage in "riot suppression".
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd love to play this, although I gave up on maintaining the type of computer that can reliably and smoothly play this kind of game a long time ago.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote:I'd love to play this, although I gave up on maintaining the type of computer that can reliably and smoothly play this kind of game a long time ago.
That is pretty much what consoles were invented for... maybe it will make it there someday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

NickAragua wrote:
Paingod wrote:Some day I'm going to spend time and actually learn the timelines in this game. I love the theme to death, but all I've ever cared about was "MECH COMBAT!"
To be honest, there's just way too much stuff going on. It's like someone took a crowd of poli-sci nerds and told them they had to write a story about giant combat walkers with big guns.
Warhammer 40k makes Battletech look well thought out and concise, however.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

GreenGoo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
HERESY!

But seriously, yeah.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
HERESY!

But seriously, yeah.
Awhile back I was playing a game based on the "Horus Heresy" phase of Warhammer 40k, and I thought to myself, hey, maybe I'll see if there's a book covering the Horus Heresy, might be a fun, quick read. Then I discovered that there are 38 f'ing books on the Horus Heresy, and counting! So....I'll pass.
Black Lives Matter.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
HERESY!

But seriously, yeah.
Awhile back I was playing a game based on the "Horus Heresy" phase of Warhammer 40k, and I thought to myself, hey, maybe I'll see if there's a book covering the Horus Heresy, might be a fun, quick read. Then I discovered that there are 38 f'ing books on the Horus Heresy, and counting! So....I'll pass.
The Black Library is milking The Horus Heresy for several years now. Many people think this is building to the Emperor of Mankind being reborn... coming back or whatever. I believe some of the Primarch have already resurfaced in some books. Anyway, the WH40K history is just too much , imo
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Anyway, back to Mechwarrior, I will have upgraded my system by the time this releases, so I should be able to play it on lowest details at about 10 fps with stuttering.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I'd love to play this, although I gave up on maintaining the type of computer that can reliably and smoothly play this kind of game a long time ago.
That is pretty much what consoles were invented for... maybe it will make it there someday.
Yeah, but even if it did I would only want to play this with a joystick and keyboard. So...
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote:
One hopes it starts on the PC and ports to consoles, not the other way around. The last thing I want in my MechWarrior game is auto-aim assist and poorly ported controls.
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Be still my heart.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rip wrote:Be still my heart.
Me too. Mechs and single player only :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not just that. It seems to hit all my "g-spots".

From being open worldish and allowing you to choose where to go or not go, to having to manage ammo and salvage, managing your money to see if winning that battle was worth it or if it cost you an arm and a leg. Detailed damage modeling. Destructible scenery. Vehicles and aircraft. I can't think of a single thing that was missing.

On top of that I love the idea of going back to an early point in the timeline. Should really set things up to indoctrinate a new generation of fans and get them started in a somewhat simplified period of lore before the wheels come off and things get crazy and much more complicated.

I'm so hard right now!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rip didn't you play the first two Merc games? Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries and Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries. Both were great.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Rip didn't you play the first two Merc games? Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries and Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries. Both were great.
Played them all, I even played the game before it came to computers.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It'll be interesting to see how much of that ambition actually makes it into the final game. I'd like to think that they can at least re-use the designs they've made for MechWarrior Online when they say "60 chassis with 300 to 400 Variants" it seems like a lot. I think they did a great job putting together the models and skins and have a lot of material to work with. 300 planets is a huge number and I expect that they'll fall back on repetition of components that will make a lot of them look familiar, even if there are differences.

I loved both prior Mercenaries games, in particular the Solaris tournaments in 4. I'd like to have that be a revolving thing where year after year it comes around and as your company evolves, you stand a better chance of winning.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote:From being open worldish and allowing you to choose where to go or not go, to having to manage ammo and salvage, managing your money to see if winning that battle was worth it or if it cost you an arm and a leg. Detailed damage modeling. Destructible scenery. Vehicles and aircraft. I can't think of a single thing that was missing.
Yeah, ok, I'm in!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved both prior Mercenaries games, in particular the Solaris tournaments in 4. I'd like to have that be a revolving thing where year after year it comes around and as your company evolves, you stand a better chance of winning.
ya I wouldn't expect to win or do well the first year or two but get better over time. In 4 I kicked everyones ass from the start and it didn't feel right.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Pretty much, yeah. It was fun because it was a nice change of pace, but it didn't feel like it was earned as much as I was just passing another level. If this includes randomly generated missions across 300 worlds, I expect it to take years to "finish" - or maybe be endless until you retire. I'd want to compete in a yearly event where I was a nobody first and earned some prestige for my unit - then return yearly to show off bigger and better Mechs and earn more prestige.
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

I just want an open world story where I can claw myself up from a lone noob mech pilot to the leader of a full company of state of the art mechs and elite pilots sewing fear to all who have the unfortunate fate of facing us.

Your tears, I claim them.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rip wrote:I just want an open world story where I can claw myself up from a lone noob mech pilot to the leader of a full company of state of the art mechs and elite pilots sewing fear to all who have the unfortunate fate of facing us.

You will dominate them...with the intensity of your QUILTING!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

$iljanus wrote:
Rip wrote:I just want an open world story where I can claw myself up from a lone noob mech pilot to the leader of a full company of state of the art mechs and elite pilots sewing fear to all who have the unfortunate fate of facing us.

Now you have me in stitches......
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rip wrote:
$iljanus wrote:

Now you have me in stitches......
Well that sure put a blanket on things.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So much needling for one easily mended spelling mistake. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I think the thread is done
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

No way, man. We can patch things up. No need to come unglued at the seams.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Darn, I sure hope there are no clipping issues.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

$iljanus wrote:I think the thread is done
Way to be a wet blanket.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Spoiler:
spooler alert
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Wonder if they're going to do anything to make jump jets useful.
Black Lives Matter