Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries

Post by Jag »

Hows the learning curve on this? I forgot mech maintenance is a real thing with tabletop. I just want a fun stompy single player campaign. May pick it up on the EGS sale.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The "strategic layer" economy isn't that difficult. The main thing is to avoid, as much as possible, paying high markup for repairs in warzones (some have crazy 100/300% cost/time increases), and don't go overboard buying lostech as it gets blown right off your mechs anyway (and certainly don't give it to computer-controlled teammates).

The main difficulty curve is when missions go from throwing swarms of tanks/helicopters at you to throwing swarms of light/medium mechs (and tanks/helicopters still). Then you have to be real careful and either a) take it slow and wipe out all opposition at long range (as much as that's possible) or just plow through any buildings you're supposed to destroy, ignoring the opposition, then run for the extraction zone. It also helps to put a hill between yourself and the bulk of the bad guys so they don't all shoot at you at once.

So anyway, it's fun but challenging.

You can also control the difficulty by picking which warzones you take contracts in: the "recommended reputation" level determines the difficulty of the opposition you face, kind of like skull rating in HBS Battletech.
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:11 pm Yeah, Clff Bleszinski is annoying.

I find the exclusives annoying, too, but to be honest, I don't think there was any other avenue they could have pursued to seriously compete with Steam. Valve has the market so locked down that there aren't many openings.

Hopefully they'll catch up on the features. Steam really is light years ahead, but they've also got a ~15 year head start.
They can sell games cheaper than other stores like what they're doing now with the $10 discount coupon.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Steam could do that too. From what I understand, Epic is doing it out of their own pocket in order to draw business. Spend now, earn later.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:18 am Steam could do that too. From what I understand, Epic is doing it out of their own pocket in order to draw business. Spend now, earn later.
And gamers win in the short term at least. I don't love EGS, but I'm loving the cheap games.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This is now available via Xbox Game Pass.
From the lack of impressions I'm thinking it may not be that great, but for $1, I'll bite.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The bottom line:

Mech combat is great
Mech customization is fine
Starmap is acceptable
Mission variety is a little low
Storyline is... "basic"

Oh, and currently, no crossplay between epic and xbox game pass people.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:55 pm This is now available via Xbox Game Pass.
From the lack of impressions I'm thinking it may not be that great, but for $1, I'll bite.
Yeah I'll give it a chance for the price of free.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I haven't played this since it came out, but I thought it was all pretty cool except for the fatal flaw of brain dead companion AI.

Might be they've fixed it, but when I tried the campaign it was pretty game breaking to constantly have your companions doing millions of C-Bills in unnecessary damage to your mechs.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Sepiche wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm I haven't played this since it came out, but I thought it was all pretty cool except for the fatal flaw of brain dead companion AI.

Might be they've fixed it, but when I tried the campaign it was pretty game breaking to constantly have your companions doing millions of C-Bills in unnecessary damage to your mechs.
This mod's got you covered: https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5m ... s/mods/104
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

NickAragua wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:18 pm
Sepiche wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm I haven't played this since it came out, but I thought it was all pretty cool except for the fatal flaw of brain dead companion AI.

This mod's got you covered: https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5m ... s/mods/104
Thanks, I'll check that out next time I play.
raydude

Post by raydude »

How about the campaign multiplayer? I thought that was a thing? Is it not well thought out? I was thinking one could mitigate the AI by having friends play in one's company.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

It's pretty fun multi-player and works very well in my experience.

The only problem is that there's no cross-play between epic and xbox game pass currently, which is annoying.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I fired it up last night. Never played a Mechwarrior game before, and came away completely unimpressed after the tutorial and first mission. The load times were horrendous, the graphics were mediocre (at best), the voiceovers were laughably bad, the plot seems very uninteresting, and I'm having a hell of a time getting the hang of the controls.

Will give it another shot tonight, but first impressions certainly left something to be desired.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, the plot is just... uh... well, the most amusing thing about it is counting the number of times the main character says "copy that".

As far as graphics, well, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Seems perfectly fine to me, but I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

The main point of the game is basically the procedurally generated battles where you get to stomp tanks and fight giant robots. Preferably with other players in coop. The mission objectives could use a little more variety, though. Hopefully they'll address that with the DLC. Mod scene doesn't seem to be taking off too much, which is a shame.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

[side rant]

Something has always bugged me about calling mechs 'robots'. Aren't they just vehicles? If mechs are robots, why aren't tanks?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 pm [side rant]

Something has always bugged me about calling mechs 'robots'. Aren't they just vehicles? If mechs are robots, why aren't tanks?
Heh, some mecha settings use the term "Wanderung Panzer" (walking tank) or "Standing Tank". Personally, I probably use the term because when I was first introduced to the concept of a giant combat walker, it looked like a TV robot.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 pm [side rant]

Between geeks and gamers, I always call them Mechs. When I'm talking with someone who has no idea, I call them giant robots.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.