Pacific Fighters! Sightings/Impressions?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Eduardo X

Pacific Fighters! Sightings/Impressions?

Post by Eduardo X »

I know Kratz said he pre-ordered, but has anybody played this? Has anyone used the fabled "FB+Ace Expansion Install?"
TELL US ABOUT IT, GOOD GOD!
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Falcon554

Post by Falcon554 »

Damn im to freaking poor right now ;(
Scott
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Geezer, didn't you get all angry that pirates were ruining Maddox Studios? Aren't you going to buy this game to counter the bad people?
Somebody, please, think of the screenshots!
-AttAdude
akerr

Post by akerr »

Sigh, still waiting on my pre-order to arrive. I'll be glad to offer some comments/mediocre impressions after I receive it though.

If you’re looking for screenshots or impressions right now, take a look at Simhq's Pacific Fighters forum. There are some good impressions and screenshots mixed in there, but be warned of posters that take flight sims entirely too seriously over there.
MahaROGa

Post by MahaROGa »

I have the IL2 Forgotten Battles w/ Ace Expansion pack. I had tried it on my old PC (PIII 1ghz, 256k mem, TNT2) but it seemed that it was too much for that system. That or it is too difficult for a hack like me.

I hadn't really played a WW2 Flight Sim since Sierra's Aces over the Pacific. That was a long time ago, but I really loved that game. Maybe that style is now considered "arcade", I'm not sure, but it felt realistic enough for my tastes.

I've got a new system now, but I havn't gotten around to installing it on that system yet to see if that makes it more playable. Should I even bother?
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Hell yes it's worth it!

You can tone down stuff like take offs and landings, and there is an autopilot you can use for stuff like that as well. It's at least worth checking out.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Eduardo X wrote:Geezer, didn't you get all angry that pirates were ruining Maddox Studios? Aren't you going to buy this game to counter the bad people?
Somebody, please, think of the screenshots!
Indeed. In fact, I bought two copies. One has arrived and I will be playing tonight. I'll post screenies if I get a chance.

The other copy ships tomorrow and should be on its way to you next week.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Oh yeah... heh. :oops:
-AttAdude
akerr

Post by akerr »

Well, my copy of Pacific Fighters just arrived today so here is a description of the packaging and manual if anyone is interested.

I had mine directly shipped from Ubisoft, so not sure if everyone else’s will be this way or not, but the game actually came in a DVD case this time around with a cardboard box look-alike slipped over the top.

Inside are the manual (72 pages black & white), Quick-Reference keycard, and 2 CD's stacked on top of each other. Pretty slim manual but its par for the course with Ubisoft.

I will try to put up some more impressions later, but I am stuck at work right now. :(
geezer

Post by geezer »

akerr wrote:Well, my copy of Pacific Fighters just arrived today so here is a description of the packaging and manual if anyone is interested.

I had mine directly shipped from Ubisoft, so not sure if everyone else’s will be this way or not, but the game actually came in a DVD case this time around with a cardboard box look-alike slipped over the top.

Inside are the manual (72 pages black & white), Quick-Reference keycard, and 2 CD's stacked on top of each other. Pretty slim manual but its par for the course with Ubisoft.

I will try to put up some more impressions later, but I am stuck at work right now. :(
I got it up and running last night for a few minutes. Had to update Nvidia drivers and hook up rudder pedals etc, so my playing time was limited.

A few comments:

1) The water is beautiful :)

2) It's really really hard to take off to defend Pearl Harbor when the IJN is rolling over the airfield from the time you start the engine. From my recollections of Pearl Harbor accounts the chaos seems pretty accurate.

Loving it so far. screenies tomorrow, of this afternoon if I leave work early.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Any tutorials? Any better than IL2's?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
geezer

Post by geezer »

Blackhawk wrote:Any tutorials? Any better than IL2's?
tutorials????

Are you high? ;)

Seriously - I've got no idea -- I know there ARE carrier landing tutorials, but I haven;t tried them yet, co I can't say if they are better, worse or the same.
Darth Homer

Post by Darth Homer »

Just found out about this game...I haven't much time lately for games. anyway, this sim has the Avenger in it, right?

Might have to pick this up over the weekend!

DH...out
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

please if anyone can cmment on the tutorials. I would love to try this but I ain't gonna teach myself.
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

Bump-so is noone playing this?
username

Post by username »

Playing what?
knob

Post by knob »

That.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Do what now?
-AttAdude
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

FM is dumbed down :(
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
knob

Post by knob »

FM = Flight Model?

How so?

I do remember when FB came out, it was a lot easier to fly. A patch fixed that.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I can flat turn in a B25 forever. Shouldn't be able to do that, I can crank the stick around violently in almost any plane with no ill effects. Hopefully a patch will help, its a gorgeous sim, but not optimal.

Now before anyone piles on, I don't think that option shouldn't be there for those who want to turn and burn in a BUFF, but the realistic flight model should be that, realistic.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

That seems strange... it's the Il2 engine, so the flight model should have the same level of fidelity... I'd suspect what is more likely is that either you have some difficulty settings off that you don't realize you have off, or there is something wrong with the data for that plane in particular... I got my copy today, and the P39 is still a squirrely little sumbitch that wants to flip over and spin under high angles of attack...
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I'd be surprised if Rookie didn't have everything cranked on that sim...he's a flight-simmer that I go back a ways with (to Red Baron 3D in '99). ;)
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Everything is set the way it should be. The IL2 planes are OK, But try the B25 out. You'll see what I mean..
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Yeah, I wasn't making a comment on Rookie, I was just making sure the bases were covered. Sounds like a problem w/ the model for the B25... in which case I'm sure we'll see a fix - this IS, after all, Maddox we're talking about... those guys have done more work on free add ons and patches for Il-2 than most other developers have done on whole games.

Also, I know there is supposed to be an announcement about a large initial patch on Friday - perhaps this is one of the things addressed. I read that there is supposed to be content and flyable aircraft added in the first patch as well since it all wouldn't fit on the two CDs they were limited to.

What I find weird is that you can't do a USMC F4U campaign... what's up with that?

Guess I'll go try out that B25, though I'm more a fighter type of guy...
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Well, You'll find you can loop it 3x or so on 100 fuel and Ords before you stall out, 50 Gas and No Eggs the only time you'll stop is when you're tired of doing it. Same with the A20, Beaufighter , HE111 and the other Multiengines.

It mainly effects these, but the fighters aren't quite right either..
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Haha, okay... just went and flew it around empty w/ 100% fuel, and I could go in endless circles and never dip below 160mph... in fact it was almost impossible to get it to drop speed at all... i could do a 150mph climbing full elevator turn and not lose energy or speed.

There is something very wrong there.

Fighters are still a damn fine time.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

You still doing any Aces High? 2.01 is out. Ki84-1a , B24J and T34 are new..
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

No, I still hang out on the forum for my old aces high buddies, but I haven't had a subscription since... January 2002, maybe?
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

cc. I wish they'd do something along the TOD plan. The old landgrab is getting old..
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm boycotting Oleg until he makes a WWI flight sim. Ok, maybe I'll buy a Battle of Britain sim, but then no more until a new WWI flight sim. I don't care if he has to guess at a few cockpits, just copy Kessler's pits. :D
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Just put the a couple of the aircraft through its paces, using some out of controled flight. The multiengine plane modeling is borked. Pulling the stick all the way back at 90 angle of bank keeps you at a constant airspeed. Rate of climb is also way too high. The planes just don't bleed off energy as said before.

The fighter flight modeling still seems good though. I put through the F4F, the F4U, the F6F the A6M and the SBD-5 all through a similar flight regiem. Starting with a 90 degree angle of bank break turn stall. (pulling the stick for all it was worth) Then I induced a simple spin, and finally a cross controlled departure (stick one way and rudder the other)

The SBD is the most stable aircraft, nearly impossible to spin or depart controlled flight in any way. The F4F is also very stable, it will depart controlled flight but in a spin it will recover without any control inputs. The F4U, the F6F and the A6M will all go into self perpetuating spins, with the Zeros being the fastest (but also the easiest to recover from) The F4U will recover from a standard spin, but will need anti-spin controls if in a cross controlled departure, which was pretty violent for both the F4U and the Zero.

Overall all the planes are more stable than say the P51. Granted the only way to tell if the flight model is realistic for these planes is to go and really fly them, but from my flight experience the fighter model is still the best out there.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

RookieCAF wrote:cc. I wish they'd do something along the TOD plan. The old landgrab is getting old..
Yeah, it totally got old.
Ronin wrote:a bunch of bullshit
What the fuck do you know about naval airplanes, douchebag?
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

Does this game have a decent tutorial? Hows the learning curve?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Greg Wak wrote:Does this game have a decent tutorial? Hows the learning curve?
Didn't we already ignore this question? ;)
-AttAdude
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Kratz wrote:
Ronin wrote:a bunch of bullshit
What the fuck do you know about naval airplanes, douchebag?
I've been at Navy bases way too long :(
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Greg Wak wrote:Does this game have a decent tutorial? Hows the learning curve?
Well... the only tutorials I've done since the original Il2 came out have been the carrier landing ones in pacific fighters... they are useable, if a bit clunky. The games are kind of geared towards people who have played flight sims before, but if you haven't, I think you could figure it out and have a pretty good time. The difficulty settings are about 40 options long, so you can really customize how hard the game is, and when I was in the config file yesterday I noticed you can turn on aracade mode, which I'm sure affects the flight model and probably the gunnery.

Additionally, the game has an autopilot which will take the plane off for you and fly it where it needs to go, and I suspect would fight for you and land the plane for you as well (it basically gives AI control of it). That should get you up in the air and flying.

As for the learning curve... it's a flight sim, so there's no avoiding somewhat of a steep learning curve - true sims take years to get good at, I think, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with some patience. If you start out with some of the difficulty settings toned down, you can get up and running, and then slowly turn them back on as you become more comfortable.

The best resource you would have is people on this board. You could also go to a board like SimHQ or the Il2 boards, but they are kind of mean to newbies. If you are interested, I'd say get it, and we can help you adjust it and yourself to a point where you can have fun.

There are Il-2 Sturmovik demos (see if you can find one for Forgotten Battles)... you should check them out, because pacific fighters is the same game in a different setting, basically.
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

Hey Kratz thanks alot. I have played Flight sims before but I tried Il2 and had a hard time getting off the ground. Still may have to pick this one up.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Greg Wak wrote:Hey Kratz thanks alot. I have played Flight sims before but I tried Il2 and had a hard time getting off the ground. Still may have to pick this one up.
Something Kratz pointed out to me is that it is pretty much impossible to take off in there flight sims without rudder controls.
Do you have rudder controls? If not, just hit "a" and let the AI take off for you.
-AttAdude
Hrdina

IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles AEP

Post by Hrdina »

I had been looking at PF for some time, but because of my 3-year-old machine (1400 MHz) and some convincing from Eduardo in an earlier thread :D I recently picked up IL2 FB Gold instead of PF. I got it fairly cheap at gogamer, but I may have bought the last one because I see that it is now on back-order.

I've been having a good time with it despite my total inability to fly or shoot well enough to shoot down anything except for the slowest bombers.

I fully expect to buy Pacific Fighters whenever I have the dough to get a better machine.