Grimwar almost here!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dave Allen

Grimwar almost here!

Post by Dave Allen »

I know y'all are exited about this like me on twitter

Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
ColdSteel

Re: Grimwar almost here!

Post by ColdSteel »

This mean's he's REALLY close to release this time. There's like maybe only another 10 years to go now! :pop:
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It's too early for April Fool's.

Is the thread title an error or just a joke/reference I'm just not getting?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

1) There is a discrepancy between the title of this thread and the title of the game described.

2) There is a humanoid on the left side of the picture with a neck-stalk attached to a single giant eyeball and nothing else above the shoulders. I am not reassured.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am unsettled by these developments.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Huh. He finally finished. That's quite an example of persistence!

If he markets it as a retro Wizardry/Eye of the Beholder type game it might be successful.

I for one can't wait to experience the glory of Grishnak.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Well I doubt he's going to put it on Greenlight.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Grifman wrote:
Is the thread title an error or just a joke/reference I'm just not getting?
just trying to be helpful to the french pronunciation impaired. :lol:

(another ex., L.A. No War) :roll:
Last edited by Dave Allen on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Screw Grimoire. I want a game that lets me play as Cleve. I could bounce cars off my neanderthal calf muscles, out think Stephen Hawking, fight a race war single handedly and still have time to build a bunker.
He won. Period.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

hepcat wrote:I could bounce cars off my neanderthal calf muscles
I'm actually hoping that Grimoire includes Neanderthals as one of the playable races.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

*looks outside. Sees no flying pigs whatsoever*

Don't worry guys, everything is fine. Nobody would be so crazy as to actually release Grimoire and destroy the space-time continuum. I mean, Grimoire not existing is one of the fundamental truths of the universe, along with the law of conservation of energy, the law of relativity, and coffee.
Insert witty comment here.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Does nobody else not see a strange coincidence between current event politics and the "impending" release of Grimoire? Perhaps he felt safe to come out of his bunker now?

The image seems to be gone now too... conspiracy theory???
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

If you are comparing this promo to Trinity's endless, pointless death scene in one of those later Matrix crapfests, I salute you.

9 minutes of my life were just vaporized watching what the writer accurately describes as the "strangest promotional video for a video game that I've ever watched". I couldn't agree more.

Grimwah 4evah!
ColdSteel wrote:
hepcat wrote:I could bounce cars off my neanderthal calf muscles
I'm actually hoping that Grimoire includes Neanderthals as one of the playable races.
According to the video, they are NOT! But he(? - you have to see it for yourself) does mention neanderthals.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Ok... so... that video is a thing...

I half believe the "Cleve had a nervous breakdown" part of the video.

Also, perhaps the reason that the game is 600+ hours is because the arrow firing animations take like 4 seconds each. Geez, the combat animations look soooo sloooow. While the art looks nice, the actual "game screen" looks to be about 4x4 inches!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'd normally be all over a new, retro RPG, but there's no way on god's green earth I'm taking the bullet on this one. :P

Not to mention the thought of giving money to someone like Cleve makes my skin crawl.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sepiche wrote:Not to mention the thought of giving money to someone like Cleve makes my skin crawl.
This - 100%
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Greenlight? Didn't Valve say they were killing that off in favour of something else?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

The awesome splendor of the golden baby head made them change their minds just this once.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

This inspired me to look for Cleve's famous "here is the timeline of the upcoming apocalypse" post, but I can't find it anywhere. :(
Popehat, a blog.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Perhaps Cleve is ready for the massive Trump-level tax write-off upon release?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I know just a little about the background of this game, but if the price is right, I'm probably in.
I'm a sucker for these types of games....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

stimpy wrote:I know just a little about the background of this game, but if the price is right, I'm probably in.
Since it is the "best RPG game in the world ever and took 20 years to make," I am going to guess the price will be $100.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

baelthazar wrote:
stimpy wrote:I know just a little about the background of this game, but if the price is right, I'm probably in.
Since it is the "best RPG game in the world ever and took 20 years to make," I am going to guess the price will be $100.
SOLD!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

When are they going to release happywar?
Black Lives Matter.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

El Guapo wrote:When are they going to release happywar?
Soon.

It got Greenlighted just three hours after this redit post:
MoogleSurprise wrote:Hi everyone,

So on March 29th Grimoire was uploaded to Steam Greenlight. For those not in the know this is a game that was in development for 22 years and was known as a love letter to First person dungeon crawlers of the 1990s specifically Wizardry 6 and 7.

Here is a link to the game:

I am biased but I think it is head and shoulders over 95% of what is on Greenlight currently and as of this posting at rank 30 with almost 4000 yes votes collected.

I didn't come on here to just shill for the game however, the issue is trying to get the word out. You see the creator of Grimoire has an interesting past and has made many statements that people have not agreed with. He has been called all the "-ists" at one point or another and people who consider themselves SJWs abhor him and thing he his the next coming of cancer + AIDS.

This is where the crux of the problem lies. In trying to get Grimoire featured in a story. I wouldn't have an issue with people stating personal opinions even though it is playing fast and loose with journalism but the game can't even get that. No mentions, no communications and no stories. Any major site will not reply to requests to do a games story.

What are some of the reasons? Well the developer feels very strongly about ethics in game journalism and has said he will refuse to do interviews with anyone on or affilitaed with the gamesjournopros list. He also can be a bit of a troll which while funny, I can see where it could work against him in the era of hyper sensitivity.

The odd thing is that I have put any personal biases aside and reached out to whoever to help get the game noticed by people who may like these type of games and also to pressure steam to hurry up and push it through. Since March 29th, there have been over 20 games Greenlighted, some only needing 1 day to reach that mark. When you figure maybe they were quality games, you come to find out it is VR shovelware, usually from China or Russia. The possibility of corruption in final days Greenlight is a whole other can of worms that would take too much away from this discussion so I will table it. The point is, Grimoire imo is like Lebron James doing a rehab assignment in D League and the Cavs keeping him him there while they bring up players that average 1.3 points and 1 rebound a game. There is just something that does not pass the smell test.

The rumblings have been that certain entities have been waging a concerted effort to keep Grimoire from being Greenlighted. Whether it be for "social justice" reasons or a personal dislike of the developer himself, it is not fully known. As I said before, not one major outlet will give this story the time of day and these were many of the same outlets that did wall to wall coverage of Duke Nukem and touted its 20+ years in development.

I have reached out to many of these sites, YouTube gamers and people who make Greenlight a focal point of their work like JIm Sterling and again have heard nothing. I even sent several messages to Brietbart Tech who could have used the angle of the developer not wanting to interview anyone from the list they uncovered.

After all the silence, I figured I would come here and state the case for the game. I would hope no matter the people's feeling on the dev or political leanings, the game can be measured and weighed on its own merits and people decide from there as well as given a broad platform to be seen by a large cross section of gamers.

I may just suck at promotion. I am just a big fan of the game who wants to play it and maybe it am not going about it the right way. That is another reason I am asking for any assistance on this. Maybe people I emailed are reading this and it reminds them to look or talk about the game. Anything would help because if it isn't me, then there is something going on and it is something I have heard from several people.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any help, advice , or tips,.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here is a link to the game:
Need to use the tags to have that link show up.

And who is Cleve? Is it a joke on Cleave? Dont get it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you want to be noticed, don't be a dick.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I don't understand the sports analogy.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Daehawk wrote:And who is Cleve? Is it a joke on Cleave? Dont get it.
Cleveland "Cleve" Blakemore, the creator of Grimoire.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Any time I see a comment on the internet use "Social Justice Warriors" or SJW, I immediately know the rest of what they say is going to an annoying, nerdrage-filled rant.

I love it - "He can't get his game noticed by journalists because he said he won't talk to journalists he doesn't agree with (which is most of them)."
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
Daehawk wrote:And who is Cleve? Is it a joke on Cleave? Dont get it.
Cleveland "Cleve" Blakemore, the creator of Grimoire.
If you'd like to more about Cleve, his blog is here: http://vault-co.blogspot.com/. Including such hits as: "Hispanics don't wash their hands after using the restroom because they have below-average IQs," "the moon landings were faked," "Barack Obama is an illegitimate Kenyan Marxist radical acting on the orders of the Council on Foreign Relations." Also, he believes that he is genetically superior because he is descended from Neanderthals, and that women's rights will inevitably lead to the literal extinction of humanity.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Don't forget, he is also developing his own "Civil Defense" Operating System to help you run your vault when the inevitable apocalypse comes. I wish this was an exaggeration :
https://vault-co.blogspot.com/p/vault-os_02.html
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well, that was a bit of a rabbit hole. Starting going down the "Everything you know is wrong" section (where every title ends with an exclamation point) but had to step away before my brain esploded.
-mf
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

MAY 29