911 Operator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Defiant

911 Operator

Post by Defiant »

Just some quick impressions of this game that I tried out. It's in a similar vein as the various Emegency Sim games, but this time, you're a 911 operator dispatching emergency services (police, fire and ambulance), rather than directly controlling the the services at the incidents. You get emergency incidents you have to respond to, either directly (eg, please send firemen to spot X), or through a 911 call that you have to go through via a dialogue tree. You need to judge how to respond to the calls - some might be nuisance calls, some might be solvable over the phone, but most need to be resolved by sending emergency services. When calls are happening, the time gets slowed down (so you can focus on the calls)

You can direct the various emergency vehicles to the appropriate spot, and they'll deal with it. Tthere's a panel where you can see what's happening, with the list of emergency service personnel on one side, people (or objects) involved in the incident on the other (caller, victims, injured person, suspects, fire etc) - you can't interact with them, but you can hover your mouse over them and it'll say what's going on (people might be being healed, or in a shootout with police, etc). Usually, once you've sent all the required services to an incident, you can forget about it until they're done, but sometimes you need to keep an eye on it (a shootout might require you to send more police to the location, or you might need to bring in a specific vehicle, because you need to transport someone, etc)

Also, between rounds, you can buy new vehicles and equipment, hire new people, etc. And you leave people who are injured out for them to recover.

One kind of cool gimmick is that you can download maps for pretty much any large or small city and use them as your location. It doesn't get the locations of hospitals and such right, but the map itself and names of streets are right from what I've seen.

I actually prefer the dealing with the calls aspect, although it does start to get repetitive (there are about 50 calls, although from what I've seen, at least some of them have multiple outcomes (eg, A call from one person might always be about a car crash, but sometimes someone is injured and sometimes no one is, and sometimes the car needs to be towed but not always, etc) I do wish there were more (I think I read that they plan to add more as well as add modding support).

I've only played the freeplay mode - there's a campaign mode as well.

There's a DLC which I haven't tried, which was apparently an extra for the kickstarter. It includes extra equipment as well as calls. There are complaints by people that this wasn't included with the game, though.
tgb

Re: 911 Operator

Post by tgb »

Keeping an eye on this one. I've been reading about the limited number of different events, and that's what's been holding me back from taking the plunge. Cool idea, though.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

It would be cool if you could import your own sound clips to use for the 911 calls. Imagine playing the game and hearing
"911, what's your emergency?"
"Major Strasser's been shot."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gameoverman wrote:It would be cool if you could import your own sound clips to use for the 911 calls. Imagine playing the game and hearing
"911, what's your emergency?"
"Major Strasser's been shot."
I believe that's what they would be adding, if they do add modding support.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tjg_marantz, the home game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister worked in a 911 call center for many years. I think 1 day would do me in.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Tjg_marantz, the home game.
lol yeah pretty much. I want to play it to see how well they got things... But then if they did, do I really want to play it? I'm sure I'll just get annoyed by everything like every doctor watching E.R.

I'll pick it up when it's lowered in price I think. I am intrigued that's for sure. Loading home maps seems a cool idea.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rip

Post by Rip »

I decided to go ahead and check this out.

Not much in the Summer Sale grabbing me that I haven't grabbed already, yet there was still money in my wallet.

I'm a sucker for these type games.
naednek

Post by naednek »

after about an hour you'll probably regret it. It's very repetitious.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I would say more like ~3 hours, but yeah, there's limited content. Looks like they're currently testing adding workshop support, though, which may mean more content in the future, if the community adds content.
Frost

Post by Frost »

naednek wrote:after about an hour you'll probably regret it. It's very repetitious.
So they nailed it when it comes to realism.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I'm at work now and I have it here. Haven't payed yet but I wonder if it would open a portal of some kind if I were to start the game here at work.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rip

Post by Rip »

I just unlocked Chicago in Career.

Say goodbye to high crime Chicago!

:D
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

tjg_marantz wrote:I'm at work now and I have it here. Haven't payed yet but I wonder if it would open a portal of some kind if I were to start the game here at work.
If you work as a 911 operator in real life...just don't confuse the 2 and dispatch Northstar (or whatever the medical air unit is called in your area) to a busted toe call...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Punisher wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:I'm at work now and I have it here. Haven't payed yet but I wonder if it would open a portal of some kind if I were to start the game here at work.
If you work as a 911 operator in real life...just don't confuse the 2 and dispatch Northstar (or whatever the medical air unit is called in your area) to a busted toe call...
Tax dollars at work!

I keep meaning to try it on days off also but that also sounds masochistic. Eventually.

Oh and it's just Stars here hehe
Home of the Akimbo AWPs