The day Everquest died

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cofcos

The day Everquest died

Post by Cofcos »

(for me) Is the day they limited you to 4 characters per account in EQ2. This has completely stifled a game I would otherwise really like, and disillusioned me, as I had been waiting for it for ages.

Having, what most probably consider, a minor issue like this totally ruin a game I've been waiting for has actually stolen the thunder from all imminent MMO releases... So, perhaps its a good thing. But, my point in posting this is to ask if I'm the only one who sees so few characters per account as a huge problem?
Al

Post by Al »

I could barely deal with one character when I played DAoC.
Falcon554

Post by Falcon554 »

Not at all, I have 0 problem with it. Its there game they can do what they please.
Scott
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

inconvenient? yes.

huge problem? no.

surprise? no.

the reaction, as it appears to me, seems to be of the drama queen variety.

SoE limited character numbers in SWG, their excuse? "Disk space and game performance".

Their excuse is the same for EQ2.
Ax

Post by Ax »

Really don't see the problem with it, even if you play more then one crit you can get one in each of the arch types. This really does not bother me at all...and is it a shock nope not at all.
Ax
Velvet Elvis

Post by Velvet Elvis »

I barely have the time for one character, much less four. For the sake of argument, let's pretend I'm independently wealthy or a "student" and can spend 18 hours a day playing EQ2. I still don't think I would have the time for or gain any more enjoyment from the game by having more than four characters.

I fail to see the problem here. However, I'd love to hear exactly why this is an issue for some.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

I think the problem is that there are a lot of people that are the type that tend to make a bunch of different characters and never level them passed the teens. EQ really doesn't fit for those types of players. As someone mentioned in the previous post, the game is about community, which is the sole reason that many people played for 2-4 years.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

I imagine they did it to save database space so that there aren't people with 10 level 8 characters who they never play sitting around taking up hard drive space. As I said in the other thread, I only ever play one character normally, though in EQ, I started a druid and got him to 40 and then did a rogue who became my main character. That is the only MMORPG (and I have played them all) which I ever made more than one character. So, for me it isn't a big deal and really it all boils down to you not buying the game if that makes you not want to play it. I think EQ2 is pretty fun, so I hate to see anyone miss out on the game just because of character creation limitations.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

4 characters is probably 3 more than I'll ever use.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In this case less is not more. Sure I can get by with a few characters, but for me one of the primary draws is the variety of trying different things.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Jaymann wrote:In this case less is not more. Sure I can get by with a few characters, but for me one of the primary draws is the variety of trying different things.
I think this is mostly the problem. I played the WoW beta for only a couple of months, but I had 7 or 8 different characters at various levels.
I'd like to try different stuff without having to delete characters. I might want to play them again in the future, and it'd be a shame of all the work put into them.

That being said, I wasn't going to buy EQ2 anyway, just felt like chiming in here :)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy