Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition

Post by Smoove_B »

Beamdog announced they have updated the classic and they've created a trailer.
Get ready for Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android! Discover an incredibly rich story and a unique setting unlike anything else in fantasy. Defeat strange and alien creatures, engage in rich dialogue, and explore the dark and dangerous Planescape setting in this 50+ hour RPG classic. Coming to Beamdog, Steam, GOG, iTunes, and Google Play on April 11, 2017!
EDIT: Link to STEAM page

DOUBLE UP: From Beamdog -
PST:EE is entirely a remaster. No new story content or characters were added.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Re: Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition

Post by Skinypupy »

Been hoping this would happen. In, for sure.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ridiculously in. One of my 'started but never finished' games.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GOG is offering a limited time (until 4 Apr 2017) 30% discount for owners of the original version.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Downloaded it today after getting the release notice, but haven't had a chance to play yet. Anyone have any impressions yet?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:17 pm Downloaded it today after getting the release notice, but haven't had a chance to play yet. Anyone have any impressions yet?
RISE! RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Not sure why, but I fired it up earlier this week and haven't been able to stop playing. Normally after trying these older games I quickly realize my mind's eye doesn't wear glasses, but for whatever reason, this is absolutely holding up. Maybe because combat is minimal (and let's be honest, combat was not great in these Infinity Engine titles) and story is everything? I dunno but it's been a real treat to go through the story again.

I also don't know how I didn't realize that Dak'kon was voiced my Mitch Pileggi until now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is one that I missed but always hoped to get to one day. I even picked it up not that long ago (like, last x-mas sale maybe?).

Right now I'm playing a little Telltale Walking Dead, of all things. It holds up too, if you can get into the nature of the game (exposition and choices).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried it last month and deleted it after getting out of the morgue. Its not the game its me. It worked fine and was just as I remembered it. It had TONS of reading and my eyes just dotn allow it. As my cousin always told me "Get some glasses boy"...never will most likely.

Clear something up for me though........in all the old original Infinity Engine games I dotn recall having to repeatedly hit the attack button on my mouse. Id click attack and they'd go do it. Here they go and then simply stand there unless I keep clicking to attack.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You must have toggled something off. They absolutely attack like automatons until whatever you tell them to kill is dead.

EDIT: I can also say that in 12+ hours of playing, I haven't had a single CTD. Runs perfectly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reinstalled it. Surprising just how quickly it installs these days. Such an amazing game in such a small size.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 pmRight now I'm playing a little Telltale Walking Dead, of all things. It holds up too, if you can get into the nature of the game (exposition and choices).
After playing through these, I was emotionally drained like I've never been from a game before. Some good storytelling, there.

Also enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, but just for the story. There was no emotional expenditure.

I also own Torment, but never got past making sure it ran before I stopped. I should give it a try. I'm looking for something interesting until SKSE64 for Skyrim SE releases an update. Apparently each time Skyrim updates, the SKSE app needs a follow-up update or it won't run... and I'm not trying to play Skyrim with the default UI on a PC.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, the first "who lives" decision was organic and worked well within the game and had an emotional impact.

The second "who lives" decision was less organic and didn't work well. I was like "we just did all this awesome stuff and now we're better prepared than at any time previously, including when I murdered multiple zombies in hand to hand combat, so why are 2 of us dying at the same time now?". It didn't help that graphically one person was barely being held by the ankle by 1 prone zombie (have you have tried to get away from someone holding onto your ankle with 1 hand? It's EASY) and the other person could have freed themselves if they had learned a 2 second self defense move that I taught my children when they were 4. It requires almost no strength and only basic skill and less than a minute to learn.

So while yeah, the game has hit me in the feels a few times, I'm more pissed than sad that we had to lose another one, and that's with me knowing that the game is basically going to be a series of who lives/dies decisions.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Planescape Torment clocks in at over a gig. I'm impressed. I was sure it was going to be like 500megs because of its age. I bet like 1/2 of it is the intro movie. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey look, steam cards.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am pretty damn far in this game - way deeper than I ever was when I originally was playing it back in late 1999 and 2000. I had not been following a combat-heavy character path, but the area I just completed was a total slog and the weakest part (IMHO) of the game so far because of it. There really is nothing like needing to kite out single enemies at a time and exploit path finding in the Infinity Engine so you can get by a certain area. Nope, didn't miss that at all.

The area in question:
Spoiler:
The prison below Curst
Can you really spoil a game that's almost 19 years old? Anyway, I'm absolutely going to finish it but it almost feels like they turned a design corner at some point and felt the need to add some good old fashioned beat-em-up elements to counterbalance the novel I read for the overwhelming majority of the first ~18 hours I put into it.

My biggest surprise is how much I'm still managing to enjoy it overall. I've tried replaying Baldur's Gate and it just didn't work for me. But this? This is fantastic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sry its been too long and I have no idea. I do remember one area back in 1999 that gave me hell but not sure which area now.

Im still in town. Not even gotten to Pharod. Its KILLING my eyes. Im playing a fighter so fights are fine but reading argh. Im not sure if I can keep it up now. I did love the game originally.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:13 pm Can you really spoil a game that's almost 19 years old?
Absolutely. This is another one of my victories over spoilers. I know nothing about the game despite it being critically acclaimed, cult following and almost 2 decades old.

Well, that's not entirely true. I know that "the calls are coming from inside the house!" but that's about it. I don't even know the basic plot.

I'm pretty good at remaining ignorant.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The only thing I know about the game is there is a skull.

Or is that Hamlet? Definitely at least one of those two.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I''M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

But seriously, it took me ~18 years but I finished. Worth.Every.Minute. I'm off to read up on various possible outcomes and all the stuff I know I missed. Absolutely worthy of all the hype. It was awesome up to the point I'd played it and amazingly it continue to deliver right up until the end. I need to process the experience.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:39 pm I''M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

But seriously, it took me ~18 years but I finished. Worth.Every.Minute. I'm off to read up on various possible outcomes and all the stuff I know I missed. Absolutely worthy of all the hype. It was awesome up to the point I'd played it and amazingly it continue to deliver right up until the end. I need to process the experience.
I played this a few years ago and had the same reaction. Absolutely worthy of the absurd amount of praise it gets.

I’ve tried the follow up game a couple times now. Last attempt got me about halfway through before wandering off. Doesn’t have nearly the story hooks as the original.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:39 pm I''M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

holy wow. How many hours would you say? Good job!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess over the ~18 years Maybe 30 hours? :D

The second time around the first 25% or so was much faster - I remembered quite a bit. The reason I stopped playing back in late 1999 / early 2000 was because that was right around when I was getting married. I'm not sure about changing the nature of a man, but it definitely changed my gaming nature for a bit. :wink:

So yeah, this second time around was around 26 hours or so. There are parts I missed - definitely a few areas and at least one character I'm aware of that I never met. I can honestly say they don't make 'em like that anymore. Here' s a tip though for anyone looking to play: go into the options menu in the actual game. Beamdog added in all kinds of things I didn't even see until hour 22 or so (because I never checked). Thinks like - difficulty scaling, maximum HP per level and most importantly - enabling STEAM cloud saves.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm gonna try.

Any non-spoiler advice?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is a non-traditional (current and old standard) RPG, with an emphasis on ROLE playing. Don't be afraid to craft a character with an emphasis on D&D stats you might not be inclined to focus on with a more traditional computer-based RPG, even if they go against what most would consider historical norms. Story is everything.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So you're saying min/max everything, right? That's what I'm hearing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, not quite. I'm saying that my character was a Fighter with a starting STR of 11. This would be complete insanity for a game like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. The character points I was given were better spent elsewhere.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 pm No, not quite. I'm saying that my character was a Fighter with a starting STR of 11. This would be complete insanity for a game like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.
Make sure fighter has 18/00 strength. Got it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 pm No, not quite. I'm saying that my character was a Fighter with a starting STR of 11. This would be complete insanity for a game like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.
Make sure fighter has 18/00 strength. Got it.
:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think my fighter is 9 - 11 ...cant recall..I did look up character builders first and was scratching my head but went with it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Normally I play games of this nature as my standard (common) straight (honest) shooter (talker). I don't necessarily want to be playing myself but at the same time if a question/dilemma/situation arises where moral choices need to be made, it's much easier to just look internally rather than try to keep the adopted persona straight and consistent for the entire game.

With that said, it can get pretty boring. Most games are designed around the standard straight shooter so on the one hand a lot of game content is built to enhance this experience, but on the other hand being different is different, and if the game is well designed (as I hear this one is) playing anything but a goody two shoes can be fun.

This is my way of asking if there are any strong reasons for approaching the character as anything but lawful or chaotic good?

I'm not talking about slightly different dialogues in chapter 3 when you meet the hermit, I mean completely game altering and enjoyment enhancing reasons. I get that how the game plays out is different depending on your character. I'm wondering if putting in the effort of playing a chaotic evil or lawful neutral character has any large payoffs.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pmThis is my way of asking if there are any strong reasons for approaching the character as anything but lawful or chaotic good?
Alignment plays a HUGE part in this game, more so than any D&D based PC game I can think of. Decisions you make, options you take and resolutions you pursue will alter your character's alignment throughout the entire game. That will ultimately impact additional story options, access to quests, interactions with others and resolutions to various plots.

You have quite a few options and (IMHO) the game does a fantastic job at teasing out the differences between a Lawful and Chaotic character based on how you address various things in the game.

Overall I think the game is very much what you make of it and your story largely will depend on the interactions you have with other characters. That being said (for me) the most impactful moments of the game weren't tied to a specific alignment, at least as far as I'm aware.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So, less than 3 minutes into the game I had to google search because I was unable to use the key (that the game told me existed and I found) on the door (that the game told me existed and told me was locked).

Not an auspicious start.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

FYI: this is on sale for $1.99 for iOS and Android at the moment. I’m not sure I’d want to play on my phone, but it looks pretty good on a tablet.
Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:31 pm FYI: this is on sale for $1.99 for iOS and Android at the moment. I’m not sure I’d want to play on my phone, but it looks pretty good on a tablet.
shiny. Think I may go take care of that right now.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I finally played it a few months ago. This is not going to be a popular opinion, but I didn't care much for it. I like its approach in terms of how it presents its story, but I felt everything else about it was meh. I think for me a large part of it is the palette. It just constantly feels drab. I honestly felt it kind of depressing and morose. I kept pushing on hoping I'd somehow gain an appreciation, but by the end, I was feeling glad it was over.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I originally played it when new. I enjoyed it. I finished it. I remember getting stuck once and taking days to pass but I did it. I mostly remember ALL the text and how it hurt my eyes. I tried it recently and did some of the town quests and tried but ended up quitting again and deleting it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its been 20 years now since the original. Heres a look back on its 20th anniversary.

https://www.gog.com/news/a_look_back_at ... nniversary
During its development, Black Isle Studios helped differentiate the title from other fantasy roleplaying games by removing many of the staples of RPGs of the time - there are no elves, goblins, or other typical “high fantasy” elements in this title. Instead, the game’s designer referred to the title as an “avant-garde" fantasy. It also removed the whole “save the world” element found in many titles and instead focused on you, the player, and your efforts to figure out just who you are as The Nameless One.