Fallout Shelter PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Fallout Shelter PC

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, the part is I *just* saved enough caps (8000!) for my weapons lab to make the advanced weapons, and those like take... 9 hours for the ones that can do damage in the 15-18 range. I only have THREE of those heavy weapons I found in the wild, hardened combat shotgun, flamer, and an assault rifle. I recently found a gauss rifle and a laser rifle. Before then, my heaviest weapon I can make is a 'rusty laser pistol' (7 damage).

For now, I'll dedicate my resources of outfitting 2 teams with heavy weapons (I've found 1-2 sniper rifles, and I got lucky on a lunchbox that came with Alistair Tenpenny who comes with a sniper rifle.) and I'll sprinkle each room with at least one heavy weapon per room, and more as I can find them or make them.

I've optimized the intruder path by adding an elevator shaft at the far right so they can drop down to 2nd floor and let them run the gauntlet. Three deathclaws can't kill any one in each room (but left them heavily wounded, lost at least half health) and each encounter wore them down. By the time they went all the way right, drop down, then next floor come all the way left, with 3-6 guns per room gunning for them, they don't survive past 2nd floor. Technically I lose nobody unless I screwed up and left one guy with a major injury from a previous attack (feral ghouls with radioactive wounds prevents healing...)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I always trained dwellers specifically to be guards. My method, as I recall, was to take a set of new level 1 dwellers, crank their Endurance to 10 in the training room before they leveled at all. I'd then put them in the highest +End gear I had and level them to max. A character leveled from 1-50 at max Endurance would have more than double the health as one leveled with default Endurance. This gave them the highest possible health. I'd also max their other stats. Agility, Strength, Perception, and Luck, as I recall, all contribute to combat effectiveness. Endurance does absolutely nothing at max level (HP gain is only determined while leveling, not retroactively, so I'd put them in gear for the other stats. And it honestly didn't matter what rooms were on the top floor. The top floor wasn't there to produce, it was there to kill.

For weapons, all I really remember is to avoid the splash damage weapons (launchers, etc), as the way they calculate damage cripples them for anything but packs of ghouls.

My top floor had an elevator on the left side, but none on the right. Attackers would cross the first floor, then have to turn around and cross it a second time. Their health was high enough, and their combat stats made them effective enough that a three pack of death claws would die on the first floor without really touching their health. An image I posted before of my layout:
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, but you're maxed out. :) I'm long-ways from there. When I breed next gen of vault dwellers (I'm calling off any breeding at 107, and that's mainly by accident as I meant it to be at 100) I'll keep that tip in mind. :) I don't have the tens of thousands of caps around that I can afford to train up folks willy nilly. :)

But my current system works. I'll post a screenshot later. Need a couple stims to watch out for deathclaw aftermath, but nobody dies. I just built another 3-wide medbay making more stimpaks, so my stimpack capacityshould be up to 60-65, which means I can send out 2 expeditions, keeping each stocked with 20+ stimpaks, AND still have 20-30 to deal with emergencies in the vault.

EDIT: Okay, here's the screenshot:

Enlarge Image

One heavy weapon at the door. The two guys are not super-enhanced, but they will survive the encounter (w/ 1/3 HP left). They hit the power plant room (at least 2 heavy weapons here), and everybody goes down to 1/3 HP. They hit the first storeroom, and usually here the first Deathclaw will die. I should stuff the room full (4 guys) but even two guys is enough. They hit the elevator on the far right, go down, then hit the other store room, which also has at least two, preferably four guys there. Here's the 2nd deathclaw usually croaks. They hit the cafeteria, and voila, there the final deathclaw gets croaked by massed shotgun fire. They usually never reach the first living quarters (right under the entrance).

I am still building heavy weapons (completed an institute rifle, a railway rifle, and now working on gauss rifle) so I'm going to fill the entire first floor with heavy weapons. That should mean no deathclaw will ever reach the 2nd floor. I periodically rotate the storeroom crew with one or two folks for training, and maybe send them out to scavenge.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You have it backwards. I didn't come up with that system because I was maxed, I got maxed by way of that system. Locking down the top floor gave me the time and freedom to train up a few dedicated explorers with perfect stats, which gave me the weapons and armor to further tweak the top floor and arm the other rooms, which gave me the freedom to train explorer teams. And even then, I don't think I ever hit 100 dwellers. Once I got to 80 or so, there just wasn't any need for more.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's also relevant that as I was able to train more and more dwellers, I started ejecting the low stat ones from the vault. I know, I'm heartless, but they just couldn't compete and were just consuming resources. Make Vault 52 great again!

Anyway, my method is one that takes a while. I'd suggest just starting a small Endurance training room, designating a couple of guards (name them 'Guard Smith' or whatever), and sticking them in there for a few days. Getting their Endurance up at level 1 is the only training that really matters to begin with, as any other stat can be improved later. Once you get a couple, start a couple more. It doesn't take that long (or that many caps) before you have a hard-to-kill to guard force and can start the same process for some dedicated explorers.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

That sounds like fun. I'll work on it a bit. :)

My vault current has over a dozen floors. :) I may adopt your Endurance First training method when I start to breed more babies.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, first two rooms are stuffed full of "heavy" weapons (at least 10 damage), and all of my expedition members (2 x 3 so far) are armed with heavy weapons as well. I'm still making more of those heavy weapons. Need to send more scavengers out to nab caps. I'm still running short.

Advanced building tip: do NOT stack levels vertically. Put a gap between them. It'll raise construction costs, but it also stops the spread of infestations and fires dead. Built every OTHER level instead. Tightly packed levels look good, but the threat of spreading roaches, molerats, and fires are too serious to ignore.

Another building tip: make horizontal rows. This makes deploying your existing Mr. Handy bot easy for automatic resource pickups. And don't mix types. Keep each row to just sources as much as possible instead of mixing sources and storage or mixed usage like that. This usually means you have to add module types DOWNWARD (one type per level, minding gaps as per above), and add capacity SIDEWAYS.

I've moved some stuff so I've created SOME gaps in the modules and I've started replacing weapons of all dwellers. No more pistols (except plasma and laser) around. Everybody is at least hunting rifle and shotgun. I'm phasing out all lever action shotgun as well. My entire top floor is "heavy" weapons, and I'm working my way through 2nd floor. My two expedition teams are armed with best weapons available, and one team is already LVL 30 and beyond.

Sent one guy out with a baseball bat. Man, this guy was taking out one raider per turn. :) Except boss and his lieutenants. Those took a couple more whacks.

Another close call: sent a scavenger into the wilds, found a Super-Duper Mart. Went inside, had to clear it of raiders. Went in with 6 stims. Found a couple along the way... came out with ZERO, and health down to 10%, but I was able to take out the boss with my final strike. Looted everything and headed back home... which will take 5+ hours (yep, went 10+ hours out).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Scavenger used up 6 stims cleaning out a super-duper mart from radscorpions and whatnot.

I just upgraded my overseer station to 3 squads,and this is one of my squads:

Enlarge Image

Yes, comedian getup, sexy nightwear, and Republic robe. They are all "+5" rare outfits. And they work well enough.

Right now, raiders don't even make it past the vault door chamber, even if they arrive in groups of 4, not 3.

Feral ghouls... A couple may survive into the power plant, but one or two only.

Deathclaws... Hmmm... Two of them die on the first floor, and the last one may or may not die on the first room of second floor (storeroom in my instance) But no casualties in general unless I forgot to use stims and another attack came in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 pm
I just upgraded my overseer station to 3 squads,and this is one of my squads:

Yes, comedian getup, sexy nightwear, and Republic robe. They are all "+5" rare outfits. And they work well enough.
FWIW, the only time Charisma benefits dwellers in the wasteland is during occasional automated text-based encounters ("I encountered a guy...") It does absolutely nothing in quest locations. Perception and Agility help the most, followed by Luck and Strength.

Agility is how fast you get shoot (and thus how many shots you get on your 'turn'.)
Perception is how fast you get crits.
Strength reduces damage somewhat.
Luck also increases how fast you get crits.
Intelligence, Endurance, and Charisma do absolutely nothing.

Now, all the stats do have benefits while exploring. And if you're running low on caps, boost the luck of your production workers. You'll get bonus caps more often. It's enough to keep you at the cap cap (!) once you have a bunch of them at 10.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Appreciate the tip. I've swapped her for a hardened suit (and the comedian gets a different one too) that has a bit more relevant stats (not C, that's for sure). But she's doing fine otherwise.

I'm keeping three teams out there and training the "mostly idle" staff (not full complement is needed to run all the power plants and water plants and food places) and once I've optimized the manufacturing of weapons and outfits, the rest of the staff (not needed to make stims and rads) go into training to up their stats.

Too bad there's not a way to get who are the best characters and sort them in a spreadsheet, so I can see who should I train and who should I send out.

EDIT: Turns out, there are Fallout Shelter Mods too on NexusMods (!)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My training approach to production dwellers had two things:

1. Max Endurance at 1st level (Endurance does nothing in any context once they're max level.)
2. Max their production stat (IE - Strength for power, etc.), and max their Luck.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I checked my roster. I have some really really lame dwellers. I think my average total points is like maybe 12-15 (all SPECIAL added together). So far, the best guy is the legendary Alistair Tenpenny, who has over 48 total points (4 categories maxed out). A couple of the "horror film" guys I recruited have pretty decent stats in the 30+ points. My "trained" folks are in the low 20's. *sigh* I'm assigning them to remedial training, as I built 2 space trainer of each of the 7 SPECIAL stats, with STR and END getting upgraded versions. I may want to upgrade the LCK one too, I guess.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For those that really want the most out of their dwellers, most of legendary dwellers aren't that great. The problem is that they come already leveled up part way, which prevents them from ever really having great health. I usually assign them somewhere just because they're cool, but they don't usually end up on any of my teams.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Come to think of it... does "breeding" two stronger characters create stronger babies too? ;)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 pm Come to think of it... does "breeding" two stronger characters create stronger babies too? ;)
According to the wiki, yes. But it's not a zero sum game. It appears that all new adults start with 12 points. So if you breed two characters that are strong in a specific attribute, it increases the likelihood that their child will have 3 points in that attribute. However, that means that there will be an additional attribute that will start at 1.

At least that's what I've noticed.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And the benefits of a +1 at that level are pretty meaningless once you start training in earnest. It's what - half an hour in a training room that they're in for several days anyway?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

As my first test cases (level 1 dweller trained in Eudurance) continues, I'm slowly rebuilding my base to be more disaster and pest resistant. Most of my caps are going toward moving some modules around. I'm putting gaps between modules, and one gap between inhabited and uninhabited modules. Training modules, manufacturing modules, and resource modules obviously will stay manned at all times, while storage, living, and bonus "buffer" modules (manufacturing modules like medbay built only for storage) stay uninhabited. I've done about 80-90% of the relocation.

Next objective would be to save up the 60K and 90K caps respectively to upgrade my gun/outfit manufacturing to make legendary items.

I'm running all existing dwellers through remedial training so nobody would have a stat of 1 or 2, based on their existing level. I want to make sure the door guards and the first two vault level dwellers can withstand deathclaw attacks, and so far they seem to be doing a good job, stopping the attack after only 3 rooms (vault door, power plant, and 2-space storage). They never reached 2nd level down, another 2-space storage, or the cafeteria after that. All dwellers have received heavy weapons (assault rifle or better) in those levels. All the rest of dwellers are armed with at least hunting rifle, if not shotguns (and I'm replacing them with shotguns and rusty laser pistols as fast as I can make them / scavenge them).

Q: Which sorta brings up another question... How much "junk" does one keep? When you scavenge stuff off guns and outfits, they sometimes take up even more space than before. One can only stand keeping 15 toy cars and 20 duct tape... (I already sell off a lot of outfits and any gun weaker than shotgun)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't remember, but I know that by the end I was selling off way, way more than I was keeping, especially once I had a moderate weapon in the hands of every dweller.

On the level 1 Endurance experiment, remember that the trick is that once they are level 1 with 10 End, give them your highest bonus +Endurance outfit, your best gun, load them up with stimpacks and send them to the wasteland to speed level.

As to gaps, the reason I set mine up the way I did (screenshot I posted before) was that every uninhabited module was isolated. Fires and pests would begin in them all the time, but most had nowhere to spread, so they'd simply disappear after a few seconds.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am arbitrarily keeping junk to 12-15 each. As for outfits, I'm keeping all the rare and legendary ones. As for the plain ones, the mixed SPECIAL bonus ones I'm keeping just 1 for each type except BOS uniform which I'm using to designate the rookies. For the "pure" ones I'm keeping 3 of each. However, I have so many already deployed in the vault, and the scavenging crews still bringing them in, the inventory will fluctuate quite a bit. I have already like 250 spaces and I still get warning about "spaces getting low".

Right now I'm at 38K caps out of 60K to upgrade weapons lab to Level 3. I need it and more junk to make legendary weapons.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One thing to look at on clothing is the total bonuses. Going from memory here, but common stuff totals +3, good stuff is +5, and the best stuff is +7. I recommend keeping as much of the +5 and +7 gear as possible, and that goes double for anything that gives a combination of two or more of Agility, Luck, and Perception (this is the gear you want for your quest teams!)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Cap count is up to 55K, and I have 3 scavengers returning in the next 3 hours that should put me well over 60K. I also have three quest teams out, AND 3 more scavengers hunting the wastes. Will probably send them out again immediately for more caps. I did find a pet cat that is supposed to give me 26% more caps or something like that. Hahaha. And I need to find that cat that grants bonus SPECIAL to the pregnant mother. I know it's assigned to someone, I just forgot who got the cat. Right now there are 113 dwellers in my vault, 2 trainees with E trained up to 9, and 4 more with E trained up to 5 (and going). Probably another day or two of remedial training for the high E folks (luck and agility) and then they'll be set loose on the wastes. Hahahahaha! :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As I recall, I gained my greatest number of caps from having a ton of dwellers with high Luck. When you 'harvest' a production room, you sometimes get bonus caps. That's based on the luck stats of those working inside. A vault full of maxed luck dwellers and you'll so many caps you won't be able to spend them.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm training up the dwellers with high luck, but they are taking a while. I have 2 x 2 space (fully upgraded) luck trainer built and cycling people through but it's taking a while. Got my first two E9 folks up to L5 now. (I also have 2 x 2 space (fully upgraded) endurance trainer built. Guess I should be building the same for agility now.

And a radscorpion killed my entire room of 4 x L1 recruits trained up to E6. *sigh* had to spend $$$ reviving them. Good thing L1 recruits only cost 100 caps to revive. :)

I upgraded my gun shop to legendary, but I don't have enough legendary junk to build anything worthwhile. I certainly don't have 16000 caps to build the laser musket when it doesn't seem to perform that well compared to, say combat shotgun. *sigh*

I guess I should be purging some super-low-stat folks, despite their high level. Where's a utility that sorts the dwellers by SPECIAL points? Sheesh.

EDIT: Found a save editor that lets you export stats. As I'm not editing anything, it's not cheating! ( http://robot9706.github.io/FSSE/ )
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Right now (since my pc is dead), I've got it running on a tablet. I've got that sitting next to me while I work. Makes it easy to click on the Mysterious Stranger. Makes it easy to collect caps. I often get 2-5k from him.

Though if my computer really does show up today... and works... I doubt I'll keep going for long. At least as actively as I am right now.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I trained up 2 dwellers to E9 and L7, as well as A5. I gave both of them Ninja outfits (to max out the A), one with plasma rifle, the other with flamer and send them out to the wilderness. Less than 30 minutes and they're already Level 3. 3 hours in, they're level 5. I can probably leave them out for two days and they'll come back as level 30! :)

The next batch of 4 trainees should complete their E9 training in 12 8 hours. Next will be L training and A training. I already got 4 females pregnant for my next batch of 4 trainees, and they just gave birth.

Now I have a storage problem. I need to reassign the more advanced weapons to the dwellers and start to take back the shotguns. I already grabbed all the hunting rifles and regular pistols...
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remember one thing. Health gained per level is determined by the current effective Endurance when they level (so natural End + End gear.) It is a permanent per-level gain, and is cumulative, but not retroactive. In other words, you want to give them the highest possible effective Endurance while they're leveling.

Three characters are sent out to level all the way to 50.

#1 has 9 Endurance and a +5 Agi/+2 Luck legendary outfit (effective End 9.) He levels to 50. He has 50 levels worth of End 9 health added together.

#2 has 10 Endurance and a paltry +3 End outfit (effect End 13.) He levels to 50. He has 50 levels of End 13 health added together.

#3 has 5 Endurance and a +3 Str/+2 End outfit (effective End 7.) He levels only to 40, then is trained to End 10 and the same +3 Str/+2 End outfit (effective End 12.) He finishes leveling to 50. He has 40 levels of End 7 health and 10 levels of End 12 health added together.

#1 will end up with ~440 health.

#2 will end up with ~550 health.

#3 will have - something, but far less than either of the others.

Oh, and once they reach 50, the Endurance stat has no effect whatsoever on anything in the game.

When I reach the mid-game and start to run out of storage, I make elevators my #1 priority. I dig one all the way to the bottom, and start putting storage rooms on alternating sides from the bedrock up.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hmmm, I should bring them back then and give them E-enhancing gear. Not too late.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is also the reason that most players never use the radio room. It saddles you with dwellers that come pre-gimped with eight or ten levels of 2 End health.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Report on the "Vault Eugenics" program...

A malfunction (user error) sent the two candidates out before they should be released. Recall was successful, but both already showed high-growth spurts (L6/L7) within only 3 hour of release. Refitted them with "Horror Costume" and send them back out. They're now both L19. Their HP is 260 or so which surpasses typical vault dwellers at L42. So far the Eugenics program is a total success. Will leave them out until they achieve L50 or they run out of stimpaks, which at the moment, they barely seem to need. Both have been paired with a pet for max effectiveness.

Vault Eugenics II will consist of 4 candidates trained for Max E (all the way to E10, not just E9 for the first program). However, due to lack of "Horror Costume" (E+4/L+1) availability for female candidates, she had to make do with Wasteland suit (E+3) unless a better wasteland suit (E+5 version) can be located before then.

Due to accidental breeding, there are 5 more rookies than anticipated. They can serve as control group.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The second time I played the first lunchbox I got, clear back during the 'tutorial' segment, gave me the +7 End suit. I was happy.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've been swapping in +3E (and now +4E for men) since the beginning. Kind of a pain to swap outfits just to level, but the payoff is worth it. It means my original dwellers don't suck too bad.

I also just got a pet that gives +3 to SPECIAL attributes for babies. And I've got a challenge to have 12 babies... However, I really don't want to grow my vault that much. Nor am I in a position where I can kick out original dwellers. Yet.

My biggest problem so far with this vault is a complete lack of Mr. Handy robots. My other vault had them as rewards all the time. I think I was up to 5. So far nada on this run. Which makes keeping all my resources in the green a P.I.T.A. It basically means that I have to monitor continuously.

Black Lives Matter

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was semi-lucky and got 2 Mr Handy's as those objective rewards, but haven't seen one in a while. I need another 2 to handle my "production levels". As I made the caps I concentrated my production into multi-floor area and my two existing ones are handling that area nicely, but there are at least two more floors to do, and I am trying to move some rooms around to give a nice buffer against raiders and whatnot.

Vault Eugenics Progress Report: the younglings are L25 and they are actually finding more stims than they are using, which is sort of amusing. It's been 24 hours since they left the vault (as L6/L7) and I can imagine their haul of junk when they return. It'd be an epic journey for both. I expect their HP's to be in the 300's now.

Second gen is now maxed on E training, and training in L and A has commenced. Additional candidates (the 5 'extras') are receiving training in whatever slots are available. Available training facilities so far are 2L, 2A, 2E, 1S, 1P, 1I, 1C. A, L, and E seem to be the most combat related attributes and those are the ones needing the most training space. Already have enough eggheads (many of whom are quite high in I, even before I+5 gear) to man the labs and medbay (those are part-time jobs anyway). Other vault dwellers are receiving remedial instructions (to prevent any 1's) as needed.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've kept my growth really throttled this time around. Makes it a lot easier. But until I get some robots, I really can't grow any more. :(

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 pm A, L, and E seem to be the most combat related attributes
In the context of adventuring/guarding only only, not production:

A, L, and P are the damage dealers. A is how quickly you attack (and thus your DPS.) L determines how fast the critical meter fills. P determines how fast the arrows on the critical hit minigame move.

S is damage taken reduction.

C and I are only used in the random text based encounters ("I met a bandit chief. I will try to talk to him." (behind the scenes Charisma check) "I think I made him angry. I have to run!")

E is just health and nothing else.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some of these challenges are positively SADISTIC. 28 vault fires put out? Hah. I have to deliberate rush production to cause that much damage. And then I get random infestations instead (mole rat, radroach, radscorp...) only occasional fire. And then I have to clean up the crew in the aftermath (rad aways and stims). At least I got a lunchbox out of it.

It asked me to do ANOTHER 8 vault fires for 300 caps. I skipped that.

Vault Eugenics 1 continues. The two candidates are now L30 and going strong. They've been out for 37 hours and counting. They went out with 25 stims and they still have 21/22 left. Most impressive. Their health is now 358/368 respectively. The difference is from one has the slasher costume and the other has the E+5 Wastelander outfit

The only two guys that came close to those HP are two "rare" guys I picked up from those random encounters (I was doing a movie and they left me). They are now like L46/L50 and their HP is in the 350-360 range. I had them out on scavenge duty, but I may reassign them as door guards.

Right now, my primary objective is to save up 90K to upgrade my outfit building to legendary capable. Then it's to save up another 16K to build a legendary weapon or two. I want to field a team with legendary outfits and legendary weapons.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had some trick for the fire thing, but I don't for the life of me remember what it was.

What's fun is when you finally get an ultimate set of explorers: 10, 10, 10, 10 , 10, 10, 10, and good A/P/L outfits. You send them out with 25 stimpacks, and they come back with 20 a week later an so much gear you have to build extra storage. See, there is an inventory limit for explorers, and when they hit it they turn around and come back on their own. The trick is to get their survivability high enough that they hit that limit before they run out of stimpacks and health. Once you do, you won't have to babysit them anymore. Send them out, collect the stuff when they get back. Have half a dozen out and you'll get a couple every day.

One thing that can go wrong in the leveling process, by the way, is them upgrading their own gear. If they find a better outfit, they'll change into it. The problem is that they seem to judge 'better' based on total stat points, so you may send out a guy in +3 End gear only to wake up the next morning with him exploring in a +2 Int/+3 Cha coat, and you have no idea how many times he's leveled while wearing it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am building up the luck on all the workers, but they're not quite bringing in the dough, but that's probably because they are not up to L10. I was hoping raising the lame ones from L1 and L2 to say, L5 would bring up the average and increase the payout, but it's not quite to the level. If started to collect the stuff manually for 15-30 minutes, I can get probably 1K to 2K, but that's slow as heck.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I had ~24 fires. Then a short time later I had 32 fires.

My trick... I created a new level 1 power room. Then I'd move a couple of my soldiers/power workers in and rush it. When their happiness would get to be around 70, I'd pull them out and put in a couple other dwellers. I even rotated in some of my non-STR characters since the point was to rush, not to generate power. Keeping the room at level 1 and only size 1 meant that the people in the room could take out whatever spawned in a matter of seconds.

Doing the rushes with existing rooms would be really painful.

I still probably rushed well over 90 times, since I needed around 90 failures.

The other objectives that are killing me right now are "have 10+ babies". Except I don't want to grow my vault that much. So I have to wait until I can reject that objective.

Black Lives Matter

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You *can* evict someone from the vault... Permanently. (Drag them out, and there should be an "eject" button in the equipment dialog)

I am tempted to do it to some of my lowest of the low stats folks, even if they are pretty high level otherwise.

With the fallout shelter editor, I can see who's the most worthless of them all (worst HP to SPECIAL ratio, for example)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I know. However, children are definitely worse than any of my productive members. All of my existing dwellers have been specialized enough to add value. Regardless of health pool. Ejecting 11 productive members so that I can have 11 children wandering around... that will then require time in training rooms to get back to productivity level of the ejected dwellers does not make any sense.

Eventually I'll definitely have a few children and then work on getting them up to where I want them so that I can selectively eject. But boosting my vault size to over 50 (and adding rad scorpion attacks) just so that I can complete an objective is pointless. Well... it's pointless for caps. I'm currently sitting at over 300k caps. If the reward was a Mr. Handy, I'd do it in a second, and then sort it out afterwards.

Black Lives Matter