Fallout Shelter PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Fallout Shelter PC

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like your rooms are all 3 wide in size. Should you not bother with bigger? Just upgrade then add a new one if thats not enough?

EDIT: Just built my Overseers Office and ran my first quest. Now that was fun! That will be fun down the road too I think. I can see where it will be damn slow too as they gave me 10 Quantum Colas to insta arrive there. Otherwise it would have taken me 20 hours.

Thats kinda what I mean by making a full game based on this mobile one. take all that mobile stuff out and make a bigger fuller game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Daehawk wrote:Looks like your rooms are all 3 wide in size. Should you not bother with bigger? Just upgrade then add a new one if thats not enough?

EDIT: Just built my Overseers Office and ran my first quest. Now that was fun! That will be fun down the road too I think. I can see where it will be damn slow too as they gave me 10 Quantum Colas to insta arrive there. Otherwise it would have taken me 20 hours.

Thats kinda what I mean by making a full game based on this mobile one. take all that mobile stuff out and make a bigger fuller game.
Most rooms have 3 levels and 3 sizes. You can upgrade a room twice. You can build room of same level next to each other and they'll merge but max is 3 room wide.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, three wide is the maximum. Don't think of three wide a triple room. Think of one wide as a third of a room.

Get training rooms as soon as you can get them, and have people training all the time.

As to the Nuka-Cola Quantims, I never used any. The game is best when played in short bursts, and major things are achieved over time. I'd wake up in the morning, level my guys, build part of a room, move a couple of guys around, collect what a wanderer had brought me, and send out a quest. Later on, I'd level some more guys, deliver a baby, move some folks around. I'd do that once or twice more during the day, then that night I'd log on and do the quest. Ten minutes here, five minutes there.

Later on, when you have ten wanderers out and two dedicated quest teams, plus fifteen guys training stats that take between four and eighteen hours, you won't ever be short on things to do.

You don't play a game like this for hours at a time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oy that was some bad luck. Was zoomed into one room when i hear the Strangers music...instantly get a raider attack then. Sigh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Concerning quests...here near the beginning are there ones I just really should take? As is Im taking the short ones..30 min to 1 hour if I can. Some lead to others Im guessing are tougher so leaving those. Also not taking 30 ho0ur ones haha. Does the color mean anything?

EDIT: Oh another thing. Im getting armor and clothing from quests . Im only keeping stuff with +3 something and recycling the rest. Im keeping mainly S,I,A stats stuff. Should I be keeping any luck items or anything?

Have a enhanced rail rifle and a nice flamer now. Fun questing :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fair warning - flamers aren't great for questing. They do decent damage to groups, but terrible damage to individuals. It's the same problem you get with missile launchers and Fat Man. Fat Mans? Fat Men? Anyway, they're bad for questing, good for explorers.
Daehawk wrote:
EDIT: Oh another thing. Im getting armor and clothing from quests . Im only keeping stuff with +3 something and recycling the rest. Im keeping mainly S,I,A stats stuff. Should I be keeping any luck items or anything?
Every stat is important. Every character under level 50 should be wearing Endurance gear. Those you intend to be explorers or questers more than any others, and the best you have. Go read my post before about stats. For the ones you're ignoring: Perception determines how much damage you do with weapons. Charisma (along with Strength, Agility, and Intelligence) allows you pass certain encounters in the wasteland (if you see stuff like running from a deathclaw or 'I met a miner with a broken leg, but couldn't help', that is low stats costing you loot.) Luck determines how fast your crit meter fills in quests, how much money you get while wandering, and how likely you are to get the bonus money when collecting resources in a room.

A short reminder on Endurance: From levels 1-49, Endurance is your best friend. Every time you level you gain more health. How much you gain is based on your *current* Endurance, including boosts. Taking a random character with 3 End and +Strength gear means he has 3 Endurance to determine how much health he gets. Another character with 3 End who is wearing +3 End gear with have 6 End to determine how much health he gets. This is not retroactive! If you level him to 50 and then increase his End and End gear, he'll get zero bonus health.

In numbers.
A character with 2 End will have 275 health at level 50.
A character with 2 End and a +3 suit while leveling from 1 will have 350 health at level 50.
A character trained to 10 End at level 1 and wearing a +5 End suit all the way to 50 will have 595 health.

It is a significant enough difference that I build two Endurance rooms and every child that becomes an adult goes straight into them at level 1 and doesn't come out until their Endurance is maxed. Those who will be questers, top floor guards, or explorers then get +5 or higher Endurance suits and are sent out until they are level 50.

Once you hit level 50, though, Endurance does absolutely nothing for you. Then you want questers/explorers in PAL gear (Perception, Agility, Luck) and vault dwellers in the gear for their assignment.

One trick I use is to name everyone with their intended job as the first letter. Cooks are A John Smith. Power workers are S Jane Doe (or whatever name.) Guards are Guard Smith. Explorers get Explorer Smith. Questers I give more flavorful names - Q Razordance, Q Bloodknuckles, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm handy idea there. thanks for that.

As far in as I am Im STILL sending people out based on what the armor IS and not what the stat is. Like I send out my power armor girl....that doesn't even matter as I can tell..just a simple stat item. It could be a piece of paper and get the same protection Im guessing haha.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, there is no 'armor' stat. All that matters is the SPECIAL stat.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I played when it first came out on my phone. Here is a screenshot I cobbled together. Looks a little weird in places but you get the gist.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One trick I use is to name everyone with their intended job as the first letter. Cooks are A John Smith. Power workers are S Jane Doe (or whatever name.) Guards are Guard Smith. Explorers get Explorer Smith. Questers I give more flavorful names - Q Razordance, Q Bloodknuckles, etc.
For a minute I was wondering how you saw their stats when they are born and being named then I realized you name them then stick them in the room you want and that stat is the one that goes up . Lol. Wish I could see their SPECIAL at the naming time.

Also just got the weight room. Plan to make it 3 big too so finding a spot if making me dig rocks.

Why doesn't my workshop let me make armor? Its just showing weapons to build even though it gave me an armor blueprint and Ive found another plus the items needed to craft it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I gotta say that Paula girl really gets around.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Birth stats don't matter. The difference between a one and a three is about an hour in a training room that they'll be in for several days.

Workshops: There are separate facilities for weapons and armor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive got a 2 or 3 room fully upgraded storage area thats running low on space. I cant build weapons fast enough to use up the items. Should I just sell off all blue and yellow con items? Not sure what they are for anyways. Guessing higher lvl stuff later on. But right now they are useless to me.

And 25 stims and 15 radaway is a pitiful amount to store....it seems so low. But Im guessing if I stick people in there they gain E over time?

Gotta say the save system SUCKS. I saved then let some stuff happen and thought Id simply reload. NOPE! Didn't matter that I saved. It auto saved AFTER the shit hit the fan and I had to fix it all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: And 25 stims and 15 radaway is a pitiful amount to store....it seems so low. But Im guessing if I stick people in there they gain E over time?
I did not follow that. Stick people in where? Storage rooms? No, the only place you gain stats is in training rooms. As to stimpacks and RadAway, storage for those is based on the number, size, and upgrades of the rooms that produce them.

Eventually you will want to be able to send every explorer/quest team out with 25 stimpacks and 5 RadAways.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats seems strange because people Ive stuck in other rooms gain the stat of the room. Like S in the power room and A in the diner and P in water...seems to always raise that stat and not others. Either that or Im just very damn lucky by blindly tossing people in rooms. Ive only purposely added people if they already have a high stat it needs.
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote:Thats seems strange because people Ive stuck in other rooms gain the stat of the room. Like S in the power room and A in the diner and P in water...seems to always raise that stat and not others. Either that or Im just very damn lucky by blindly tossing people in rooms. Ive only purposely added people if they already have a high stat it needs.
Only people in training rooms gain stat.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wouldn't it be great if you had a key combo to grab people by stat and then click a room? Like say have all people doing nothing. Hit ctrl-p and it grabs all perception dwellers. Then you click a P room you want them in. It just sends the right amount there and leaves the rest tagged. Do it again until you are done. Same for strength. Ctrl-S and room..etc etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Ive worked out a good way to rearrange my rooms but Im going to have to get a lot of money to do it. It will wait a while I guess.

Im getting good at spotting the Stranger now. But two things still stand in my way to perfect spotting. 1. He seems to appear a lot when I have menus open :). 2. My vault is wide and sometimes he is in a room that is off angled to my view. And if its a very edge room those take zooming and moving over to see or the view just kind either wont reach or will slide a bit back.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

NM found the cause.

See my group down there on the bottom floor? Is there some reason why the room next to them is bracketed in yellow marks? I cant find anything special about that room.
Enlarge Image
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you had a key combo to grab people by stat and then click a room? Like say have all people doing nothing. Hit ctrl-p and it grabs all perception dwellers. Then you click a P room you want them in. It just sends the right amount there and leaves the rest tagged. Do it again until you are done. Same for strength. Ctrl-S and room..etc etc.
I think you can open a list of all people in your vault then you can probably sort it based on a stat?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Will look into that.

Hey fellas...I have a quest thats 23 hours and is a a game show question one. Its reward is a Mr Handy. Should I try that this early in my game? I have 24 dwellers and it would take 3 of my best ones away from the vault and the power / water / food areas.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why not? You're going to find more and more quests that take long periods of time. My recommendation is to take your three best and assign them to questing full time. They get back, they go back out. I had three teams by the time I quit most recently.

Besides, Mr Handys are invluable. Stick them on the floor with the most resources and never manually collect again. Stick them on the top floor and get an extra door guard that doesn't take up a slot, use food, or use water. I stuck one on the floor with my Endurance training rooms because that was where level 1s always go, so he was there to keep them alive if something (fire, roaches, etc) spawned there.
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote:Will look into that.

Hey fellas...I have a quest thats 23 hours and is a a game show question one. Its reward is a Mr Handy. Should I try that this early in my game? I have 24 dwellers and it would take 3 of my best ones away from the vault and the power / water / food areas.
Mr Handy is useful. It can harvest resources for you on a single floor so you don't need to do it yourself. Also it is probably useful to prevent one or two of your resources going to red level when you log off from the game. Normally when you log off from the game, the resource will drop a bit, if you're close to the red point, then it can drop below the red point. If you have my handy, I think it can help reduce that risk.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have 2 I always use with a rotating 3rd. I really need to pick a perma 3rd for the quest party.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I picked it up, and it certainly has "Facebook Game" stamped all over it. I get that it's not made to play for hours straight, but that's exactly how I play games. I don't have any use for a game that I "play" in the background while I play another game. It might have been nice in the days of EverQuest, but not now. If I had a second monitor and played in borderless windowed games, I might feel differently.

So - Good theme, good concept, bad execution (for me, at least). I agree with one of the Steam reviews saying something like "Remove the microtransactions, cut timers by a factor of 10, and put a $15 price tag on this and it'd be a great seller"

I got as far as having 17 Dwellers, with two more kids on the way. I was maybe 5 levels deep with ample power/food/water production (almost more than I have people for). Raider attacks got easy pretty fast once I had a few guns to go around. I often used "Rush" even with a 60% failure chance, just to try and speed things up. I have two Explorers, derived from "Special" people who joined me with higher stats. I stole a play from Blackhawk and set up my base with Power on top and only one elevator down.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I put a couple together to make a baby then picked a second couple. Right as the second couple got face to face I noticed his name was Wright and her name was Parkwright....which mean he was either her dad or her grandad. Just as I noticed both couples switched partners. Does it know who is related and refuse to allow them to reproduce? Or did they just like the other one more? Im thinking theres a hidden code that wont allow you to inbreed your dwellers to death.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is a generation limit. It is like two generations of separation, so you can't sleep with your dad, but your great-grandkids are fair game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I noticed I have a guy that works in the power plant who always has bald kids. He has a full head of hair, chops and a full beard. But all his kids are bald :)

Next game Im thinking I try for a vault full of bald guys. It will be my Curly vault.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

If you zoom in they'll say something like "Always nice to hang out with the family!"

My current vault's family tree is made of about 4 lines. :shock: I'm probably going to end up with some supermutant weirdos.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LOL...can imagine that birth and rampant destruction by same baby. Name him Thrall :)

Hmm I wonder if super mutants would join my vault..or one nice one lol. I have the radio making us happy but Im afraid to turn it on to gather more dwellers because Im not sure I could handle a Deathclaw.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are pros and cons to getting dwellers that way. The pros are that they come with gear and are free (and lessen the incest.)

The con to actually keeping the dwellers from the radio is that they start partially leveled, and they got that way with poor stats, which means if you want to maximize their health, you're out of luck.

Of course, you can always invite them in, strip them, and then kick them out. :twisted:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just another fun night at Casa de Blackhawk.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You know how you can click the vault door icon at top and get a full list of your people and where they are in the vault? Id like that for rooms. Have a graphical listing of rooms and how many slots it has and who are filling them and how many are open. As is you are forced to click a room then click its chart then click next room click its chart etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I need a new power room. I want to replace my living room and put the power up top like you guys said. But I dont have a lot of money. I can destroy my living room and build the power but then I cant rebuild a full 3 room upgraded living space. Will people just wait or will they leave?

Fixed it sorta...built a new 3 room living space deeper then destroyed the top and built a 2nd 3 room power plant at top. So win win..except I need to upgrade the living room for more people
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive ran a lot of quests today. Ive been lucky with the quantums. I use them to go to and come back from quests. Most times its 2 to get there and my reward will be two. Then during the quest Ill find a few and so I can come back to the vault instantly too. And Im still coming out with more quantums than when I ran it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Ok I need a new power room. I want to replace my living room and put the power up top like you guys said. But I dont have a lot of money. I can destroy my living room and build the power but then I cant rebuild a full 3 room upgraded living space. Will people just wait or will they leave?

Fixed it sorta...built a new 3 room living space deeper then destroyed the top and built a 2nd 3 room power plant at top. So win win..except I need to upgrade the living room for more people
To answer your original question, it won't let you demolish living quarters if it would put your max population under your current.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well thats nice. A worry off my playing then. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here is my latest build pic. Raiders no longer leave the first floor alive.

Enlarge Image

If I add another living room there to the right of the upgraded 3 room one and upgrade it will it not attach to that 3 room one?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Right, three wide is the limit.

One suggestion: Destroy the upper right room, remove the elevator, and rebuild the room with no elevator on the top level except for the one on the left. It will help later with deathclaws. It forces them to cross the top floor twice, which lets you super-arm that floor into a killing zone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote:Right, three wide is the limit.

One suggestion: Destroy the upper right room, remove the elevator, and rebuild the room with no elevator on the top level except for the one on the left. It will help later with deathclaws. It forces them to cross the top floor twice, which lets you super-arm that floor into a killing zone.
Followed your suggestion.

Enlarge Image