Total War: Warhammer 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: Total War: Warhammer 2

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, there's a point in every Total War game where you've kind of hit critical mass. Nothing can challenge your buffed up heroes and unstoppable armies, and you're basically just ticking off checkboxes until you hit the victory condition. There's still plenty of bad guys, but, barring scripted battles, nothing on the world map is really a threat. This is why I have about a 50% completion rate on my "basically won" Total War campaigns.

Which is a shame, because that means I rarely get to use the high-end units.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 amWhich is a shame, because that means I rarely get to use the high-end units.
I think I got as far as all the high-end units I can get.

Star Dragons, Phoenix Guard, Dragon Knights, etc. I can use every unit in my military building production list. Some settlement, somewhere has the Level 5 building at the apex - and my capital city has all of them.

It really has kind of come down to a repetition of tactics. Form up archers behind shields, turn off Skirmish. Flank archers with archer chariots. Flank those with Dragon Knights. Place my bolt thrower artillery behind archers, and anti-infantry behind that. Dragons to the extreme left and right. Phoenix in the middle. Light cavalry hidden behind enemies to attack artillery when clear. Heroes, Lords, Mages, Loremasters up front.

Harass enemy artillery with dragons, or breathe fire down into clusters of rich opportunity. Phoenix flies over densest patches of enemies and bombs them; then out of ammo, attack artillery. As they advance, lay waste to enemy infantry with a hellfire of arrows and then rush out to meet them with cavalry and anti-infantry. Re-position archers to flanks to continue hammering enemies from behind with minimal risks to my infantry. Dragons and Phoenix clean up. Champions spam abilities as needed - healing, buffing, AoE damage, etc.

Rinse, repeat.

I know it'd be wildly different against a human player, but I have very little (zero) interest in going online with this game so I can discover just how badly I do suck.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I reach that point in most Total War games, although I do have regular victories in most of them point to. It's not about waving the victory flag, it's about all the cool stuff on the way.

Next time (after a break), play something with a completely different mechanic. Like Skaven (super squishy infantry that hit hard, no cavalry or fliers, but massive numbers), or Vampire Counts (lots of units, but zero missiles to keep you from huddling.) Maybe Lizardmen (super tough, but low damage, huge numbers of monsters, but always facing the possibility of losing control when your troops rampage.) Something that takes away one of the crutches you used in your previous game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)