This Is the Police - Interesting story based game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

This Is the Police - Interesting story based game

Post by jztemple2 »

This Is the Police is on a 50% off sale for the next day and a bit. I've been a bit intrigued with it and since it's half off and the developers have just released a Sandbox mode for it, I thought what the heck, I'd give it a look and post impressions here. I didn't see a previous thread.

I looked at the videos on the Steam store page which kind of got me an idea about the game, but I've put in an hour so far and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Basically the game is played at two levels. You are the police chief of a town, being forced to resign in 180 days. There are various factions and people out there that want to manipulate you. Your self-assigned goal is to accumulate a half-million dollars before you leave office. That's the basic premise. There's a lot more to it, but those are spoilers.

The game is played out a day at a time. Each day (so far in the first five days I've played) there is a cutscene that consists of several cartoon/graphic novel panels with narration; think Max Payne but with less psychotic behavior. You, as the narrator, reveal the story bit by bit each day, but also things start happening that concern you. By the fifth day, I was forced to make what seems like a pretty massive decision that will affect the rest of the game (this could be what gives it some replayability, going down the other path on the next replay). There is a damn good story being developed that involves some excellent plot work. One hour in and I'm already deeply immersed in my character.

The other level is the day to day operation of the police department. You have two shifts of officers that work on alternating days. You assign them to different crimes, and sometimes to other "tasks" that come your way. You also have detectives you have to assign to investigate some crimes. But all these officers have their own strengths and weaknesses, some of which are obvious, some are not. You want to stop crime and solve mysteries, but you want to kept your officers alive... except when you don't want to :wink:.

I'll keep playing and posting and try to have some more definitive impressions before the sale runs out. Stay tuned. And be safe out there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Frost

Re: This Is the Police - Interesting story based game

Post by Frost »

yeah i've been looking at this for awhile. it looks interesting, and is pretty cheap on sale at $7.50 on Steam right now. I might end up just pulling the trigger.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I now have 5.5 hours in the game and it's turning out to be not as good as I hoped. I'm still playing it and it's still enjoyable, but some of the early promise of the game has been lacking. I'm at Day 27 of 180 days. The very interesting story elements stayed for about the first seven or so days, but after that we went into a long arc of about twenty days where the story didn't progress but there was an overall event happening each day that my police could support, if I chose to allocate them. I'm being vague to avoid spoilers, but pretty much it comes down to making a choice between two bad options or not doing anything at all which may, or may not, be the smart thing to do. In one review I saw this game compared to Papers Please in this respect and it's an apt comparison.

I'm also having issues with the investigations being performed by my detectives. Basically when a crime occurs that needs to be investigated, you assign a lead detective and you get a screen like this.
Enlarge Image

As days go by, you may, or may not, get additional images that show up in the Frame squares, which you then drag and drop into the Sequence squares to eventually display your interpetation of the crime. When you get it right, a pop-up occurs confirming this and you go from there. The problem is that some of the frame images are bogus and some aren't, and often you don't get very many for awhile. And you have to get them in the right order (I think). And even more frustrating, it seems that assigning more detectives to the investigation may, or may not, help.

This leads to my main frustration with the game. It is intentionally not a spreadsheet game. You don't accumulate X number of points to stop a crime or solve a murder or getting the backing of the mayor or whatever. Instead, you take actions you think are appropriate to give you the results you want and those actions may, or may not, be the right ones or even if they are the right actions, be enough to achieve what you are trying to do. So, it's like real life :roll:

Another example. An officer wants a day off because it's his pet's birthday. Sure, tell him no way, but is he secretly an informant for the mayor? Will not giving him the day off mean he'll quit, and he's one of your better officers? Or if you do give him the day off, will he now expect more days off? Will the other cops lose respect for you for being a pushover? Or a martinet? No wonder my character in the game is overweight, grey haired and balding.

Now there is still a lot of story and drama and plot in the game. I secretly paid one of my officers money to be a snitch. Three days later she was found dead :shock:. Was she killed by fellow officers? By some crony of the mayor? Was it random? In another situation the major told me to violently suppress a demonstration "by blacks" next to city hall. I know that the city will investigate the illegal police action and while I could shift the blame to the mayor, I want him on my side. I have two other options. I can blame a gangster character, but for reasons I won't spoil, that's not an option right now. So I instead frame one of my officers by putting white supremacist literature in her locker. She was a good officer, but better her head on the block than mine. And there are quite a number more of these situations.

And all this doesn't even touch on the day to day policing you have to do. You have only a limited number of cops on a shift (same as a day), aided by cops on the other shift (day) working back to backs. Maybe you'll have enough cops to cover all the calls you get during the day. Maybe you won't. But you can't predict ahead of time that the moment you have dispatched everyone out on jobs to stop a suicide on a bridge, plus a burglar in the suburbs (that might turn out to be a false alarm) plus send a couple of officers to be stage decoration for a mayor's press conference, that then suddenly you'd get a call about a bank robbery taking place right now that you just have to ignore. And won't the mayor use that to his advantage!

So there's about sixteen hours left in the sale. If you are the least bit intrigued by what I've posted about the game, it's worth giving it a look. It's a game that plays out like film noir. You have many enemies, no friends (at least none you can trust), a city that's about to explode, a police force that may not be what it seems, and only so much liquor.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nice write up, thanks. I was on the fence about it, but sounds like you don't love it.

Due to backlog, I'm only playing The Best games these days. No time for mediocre bullshit.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

jztemple2 wrote:... It's a game that plays out like film noir.
So you're basically fucked no matter what you do?
Sounds right up my alley. I love film noir.
Going by what you've written (I enjoyed your write-up, BTW), I will put this on my wish list. I love it when I can affect the telling of a story, thus creating my own.

edit: Oh wow, GOG even has it. I keep a pretty close eye on GOG, and somehow, this one slipped past me. Not currently on sale there, however. I wish GOG and Steam would synch their sales.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I made it to Day 71 out of my projected 180 days needed till I retired. And just over nine hours of play. And as Day 71 started, the door opened and there was the FBI... it was all over.
Enlarge Image

So that's it, this run-through of the game is done. I don't know how I feel about that. I guess I know now that if I get investigated and found guilty three times of abuse of office I'm goners. On the other hand, I'm not really sure where exactly I went wrong. Oh, I guess that time I tortured a guy to death might not have been a good move :roll: (oddly, not a spoiler...)

And the story? Yeah, it got a lot heavier after that Day 27 report I made earlier. Adult-type serious (not sexy adult either). I can't even hint the tiniest bit without it being spoilers. But it's a damn good story. Now I'm motivated to go start it all over again and see if I can do better. And I really, really want/need to follow up on a storyline that was just starting to unfold when I got arrested. It was like seeing the last episode of the season of some awesome TV drama and suddenly finding out that it's not being renewed :cry:. I now I really want to get past Day 71 on the next playthrough.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Giles Habibula wrote: edit: Oh wow, GOG even has it. I keep a pretty close eye on GOG, and somehow, this one slipped past me. Not currently on sale there, however. I wish GOG and Steam would synch their sales.

They kind of do, on some of the bigger sales like the Summer and Holiday sales. But take a look again on GOG, as it's currently 50% off there too. Might have been put on sale right after you looked, and I now notice it's no longer on sale on Steam.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I started my replay of the game after losing at Day 71. I have to admit that it's becoming a disappointing experience, replaying the main story. There is a way to jump through each line of cutscenes and even skip the entire cutscenes so that's not a problem, it's just that nothing is new. There is what in the first playthrough seemed like a major decision point in the first few days and this time I took the other path, yet it seems like not much is different. Also, I'm seeing the same crimes and the same investigations as last time, so for the crimes I can mostly remember which ones weren't worth more than sending one officer and which ones required the full amount. And for the investigations, you solve them exactly the same.

So, while I do want to get back to those couple of major story lines I wasn't able to complete when I lost the game at Day 71, do I really want to put in several more hours to get back to where I was? And what if I lost again at that point, do I want to try it yet again? I think I'm going to shelve the game for a while.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote:I now notice it's no longer on sale on Steam.
It was a daily deal on the 5th, good for 48 hours. Noon CST are the breakpoints.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, well my point was that it went on sale there after it was on sale on Steam, daily deal or not.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might be interested, the game is on sale on GOG for 50% off.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

jztemple2 wrote:For those who might be interested, the game is on sale on GOG for 50% off.
But is it still on sale on Steam?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't think so, but someone should check.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote:I don't think so, but someone should check.
Or maybe just check the Bargain Bin forum. Someone posts the deal of the day there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But how long does it last?
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Rumpy wrote: ... take a look again on GOG, as it's currently 50% off there too. Might have been put on sale right after you looked, and I now notice it's no longer on sale on Steam.
Bought! Thanks for the heads up.
from GOG blurb:
...especially in the sandbox mode that just got added to This Is the Police. Once you're done with the main story, see how long you can survive when faced with an infinite number of days, new investigations, dynamic difficulty, 200+ new crimes, and more!
This update also brings Japanese language support (text only), and GOG Galaxy leaderboard support.
To celebrate, the game is now 50% off until April 10, 10AM UTC.
Last edited by Giles Habibula on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Be aware that the sandbox mode only unlocks once you complete the main story. It didn't unlock for me when my first run through ended on Day 71.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got this from Humble's COVID-19 bundle. I thought it would have tactical elements (guess I should have checked this thread first) and I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't. I'm not entirely sure if I want to keep playing (only on day 10 after an hour or so). It is definitely interested.
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:28 pm So, while I do want to get back to those couple of major story lines I wasn't able to complete when I lost the game at Day 71, do I really want to put in several more hours to get back to where I was? And what if I lost again at that point, do I want to try it yet again? I think I'm going to shelve the game for a while.
Did you keep going or bail on the second playthrough? If you kept going was it worth it?

Edit: I found my point of confusion on the tactical front, the sequel adds tactical combat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I bailed on a second run through, it just didn't have that much appeal for me.