Recommendations for a Stock Market game?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Recommendations for a Stock Market game?

Post by jztemple2 »

I've recently been reading The Great Game by John Steele Gordon, a history of Wall Street, and I'm finding my knowledge of stock trading to be shaky. Years ago I learned quite a lot about the market by playing The Stock Market Game by Avalon Hill, a board game. I'm just wondering if there is a more recent PC game about the stock market that people could recommend, with a focus on the actual mechanics of how the market operates. Thanks!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Re: Recommendations for a Stock Market game?

Post by tgb »

Why don't you create one? :D

I know there have been stock market elements of other business simulations/games (mostly railroad games for some reason) but I'm unaware of a PC game that was 100% about the stock market.

Could be interesting.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:Why don't you create one? :D
No way :shhh:. I'm retired and if my wife ever gets wind that I have enough time and energy on my hands to be creating a game, I'm going to get dragged into more of her projects than I'm on the hook for right now :ninja:.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tgb wrote:(mostly railroad games for some reason)
Because being a robber baron and forming monopolies and putting undue influence on the market is like this ultimate gamer thing. RRT2 still remains my favorite and it's still dying for someone to one up it. Maybe they should re-imagine RRT2 with the the telcos?

How about Lemonade stand?

There have stock market games in the past but they've all seemed arbitrary unless you talking the railroad games which always are limited stock games and not stock market games.

We had an interesting game a bunch of us were playing on OO which was an economies of scale game with a large stock market aspect that you were using to further build your economy of scale. It got wonky though and that was sad.

Steam Trading Cards?
Battle.net?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Get a paper trading account at Ameritrade. Download the Think or Swim platform. Just learning the ins and outs of the interface will teach you a lot. You can also paper trade forex.

I mean if this doesn't get you excited, nothing will:
Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Get a paper trading account at Ameritrade. Download the Think or Swim platform. Just learning the ins and outs of the interface will teach you a lot. You can also paper trade forex.

I mean if this doesn't get you excited, nothing will:
Enlarge Image

Every time my old man gets to start talking about Scottrade Elite, his eyes light up. For him, it's the greatest toy ever. At least until unfathomable amounts of money and everyone has to remind themselves that he spent his entire life earning that money doing physical labor, if that's what he loves, then *sigh*.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Offworld trading company?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wall Street Raider by Roninsoft.

http://www.roninsoft.com/wsraider.htm
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tgb wrote: I know there have been stock market elements of other business simulations/games (mostly railroad games for some reason) but I'm unaware of a PC game that was 100% about the stock market.
Monte Cristo had a Wall Street Trader series in the late 90s/early 00's, along those lines. Which also looks like one of the last games of that type.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: .. Not that this is terribly on-topic .. sorry .. the reason I bring this up is because it sounds like you want to learn from the game while playing, and not have RNG determine "the winner" ... I, too, would be very interested in such a game .. But the thing with a stock market game is creating a pseudo-realistic world of market influences. As well as a means of presenting 'news' stories to player mimicking the way we hear about corporate happenings .. we all aren't Martha Stewart .. amirite?..The bigger the scope of the game, from a couple hundred-to-a couple thousand companies in diversified fields complicates this, especially if you want each play-thru to be unique (you don't want to read the same news over and over)..

Back in my Amiga days, there was a horse racing game .. I think it was called The Sport of Kings on PC .. that game 'claimed' to, and appeared to, use real racing data from the past 20 (?) races that those pixelated ponies ran. There was "racing program" listings showing you what each horse did for the distance and track conditions which you could peruse to make an educated choice (you could also BLANK it out and regenerate the data by running races over night)... there were also Bookies and track regulars from which you could buy "tips".. but, if you looked after the race you could see they bet on somebody else, claiming to have received last minute info. It's been a lot of years, but I remember picking some winners .. I would not have bothered with it had it just been an random. If it was fake at its core, at least I felt like I was learning to read a racing program.

there appears to be a 3D virtual horse racing online game nowadays ... no mention of the old one (late eighties)
Ain't nobody got time for that
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm working on a project that might deliver on this one day..... :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rip wrote:Wall Street Raider by Roninsoft.

This is pretty impressive, although maybe it might be a case of being careful what you ask for! :shock: :wink:

UPDATE: I notice they also have a "simpler" game called Speculator
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:
Rip wrote:Wall Street Raider by Roninsoft.

This is pretty impressive, although maybe it might be a case of being careful what you ask for! :shock: :wink:

UPDATE: I notice they also have a "simpler" game called Speculator
I was going to mention that but I have never played it.

WSR OTOH I have played a bunch and it is very fun.