The Surge - Sci-Fi - Melee Combat RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: The Surge - Sci-Fi - Melee Combat RPG

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the end boss off this morning. 26 hours per steam. I did no grinding whatsoever and ended up at 81 core power. I played the second half of the game in Liquidator armor using the Firebug Throttle V2.0. Everything was Mark V except one piece of armor. I had enough nano cores, but didn't want to gather the scrap (no grinding!).

The walk in the park expansion was short and largely unremarkable. There was really only one boss fight and that was kind of cool. There are a bunch of new weapons but none of them got my attention really.

I am considering a NG+ run, but I am not sure why. Playing through this again makes me really want a new Bloodborne.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 amFinished the end boss off this morning. 26 hours per steam. I did no grinding whatsoever and ended up at 81 core power.
So you're saying I should just move ahead.

Never having played a game like this before, I'm enjoying the combat but like learning the way it works for each enemy. I keep feeling like I should be perfecting my combat against anything I see. I am enjoying the fighting, and it hasn't bothered me yet to reset a level and kill everything over again.

I did move into the third area after defeating Captain Helvig in CREO World. Actually, I was sent to continue the story and come back later. In the Research Labs (toxic waste dump) I'm having no trouble even with the Bloodhound robots. I'm also running around in Liquidator, but only for the benefit of not needing to watch my step in so many places.

For all the time I think I've played, though, Steam is only showing 22 hours.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not saying you should move ahead, I'm just saying there's not much reason to hang back. The big thing is, however much you are getting by grinding where you are, you would get more grinding in the next area... and why grind for Mk II armor bits when you can go grind for MK III?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I started a NG+ run last night and got through the first boss on the second try. I'm having a bit of trouble harvesting parts because I am killing enemies in 3-4 hits. I got all my main gear upgraded to MK VI despite that limitation and got the overconfident achievement (kill a boss while carrying 20K+ scrap) on the boss from doing basically the whole level in one run.

I have set it aside for a moment to check out Dark Souls Remastered. I am just getting started there (dragon bridge).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yeah, I'm going to push on ahead and keep just my favorite weapons and armor up. I was determined to get -everything- in my inventory to MkII and did that - but in hindsight it's pointless because you can skip ahead without actually hitting each step.

I don't really feel like I was grinding, though. I had a lot of fun fighting.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

As long as you are enjoying it that's really the point.

I really need to take some time and watch the videos for The Surge 2. I am really curious what that looks like.The funny thing to me is that I have really enjoyed The Surge, but I can't seem to convince myself to play the same developer's previous souls-like which was much more like a copy of Dark Souls, Lords of the Fallen. It just doesn't seem to grab me the same way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Surge 2: Skyrim Harder

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 amI got all my main gear upgraded to MK VI...
So in NG+ you can graduate from MkIV to Mk V equipment, and then eventually Mk X (Nanites). I assume I can't make anything MkX without NG+ since I have 4 Nanites and no option to exceed MkIV.

When I move from NG to NG+, do I keep -everything- in my inventory or just what I had equipped? Will I have my entire weapons collection, armor bits, comics, materials, recordings, scrap and Nanites?
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 amI got all my main gear upgraded to MK VI...
So in NG+ you can graduate from MkIV to Mk V equipment, and then eventually Mk X (Nanites). I assume I can't make anything MkX without NG+ since I have 4 Nanites and no option to exceed MkIV.

When I move from NG to NG+, do I keep -everything- in my inventory or just what I had equipped? Will I have my entire weapons collection, armor bits, comics, materials, recordings, scrap and Nanites?
You can only go to Mk V using nano cores in NG. Once you go to NG+ all your nano cores are gone and you can upgrade to MK VI and beyond. You do keep all of your other equipment including all your implants. I do not know about collectibles.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 pmYou can only go to Mk V using nano cores in NG. Once you go to NG+ all your nano cores are gone and you can upgrade to MK VI and beyond. You do keep all of your other equipment including all your implants. I do not know about collectibles.
So "Use 'Em or Lose 'Em" then. Good to know. I was planning to hoard and spend later for MkX.

Since I'm not seeing a way to do it "naturally" at the gear stations I've found, are Nanite stations a thing later - or do I need to have a MkIV item before I can unlock MkV?
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not 100% on this, but I *think* you need to upgrade to Mk IV before you have an option to upgrade to Mk V. It is done in the same place and in the same way, the resource requirements just change to requiring nano cores (and a big pile of scrap). I think you only find Mark IV bits in the final area which is pretty well gated so there's no getting ahead of the game there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Passed through Central Production 2 (the return) and defeated Big Sister on the second attempt, even getting the v2.0 weapon (easiest one to get so far). The key here was re-spec'ing my Implants for more healing and energy generation, so I could quickly heal myself after a couple hits. Taking out the head while there were still two arms left simply meant staying on one side of the room. The real enemy in this fight was the camera. It's never been worse.

After that I was sent back to CREO World. No problem... until I get to the lower levels. Jeebus. Those nanite-infected Animatronics with whips that can hit me regardless of how far back I dodge slaughtered me. I suppose that means take out the arm early with a heavy-hitter, like the PAX. I think I also have to kill the Medkit enemies with a Torso finisher to get them to drop a heal, which will help down there.

I have been really enjoying the Kingfisher (CREO World Staff from a miniboss). My Single-Rigged is up to 18, and my Staff is up to 14. Twin-Rigged is something like 9, and the other two are at like 5 or 6. I'm up to 71 Core Power, but spend a lot of time running around in the Iron Maus suit. It has a stupidly low power requirement and pretty good defense with no drawbacks, but no benefits - unless you count being able to supercharge on Implants... If I put on the MANTIS armor, I have to sacrifice a good implant to wear it, by about 4 or 5 Core power. It's not worth it for 10 defense and cheaper injectables.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 am Passed through Central Production 2 (the return) and defeated Big Sister on the second attempt, even getting the v2.0 weapon (easiest one to get so far). The key here was re-spec'ing my Implants for more healing and energy generation, so I could quickly heal myself after a couple hits. Taking out the head while there were still two arms left simply meant staying on one side of the room. The real enemy in this fight was the camera. It's never been worse.
Yes, camera so bad in that fight. So much close quarters.
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 amAfter that I was sent back to CREO World. No problem... until I get to the lower levels. Jeebus. Those nanite-infected Animatronics with whips that can hit me regardless of how far back I dodge slaughtered me. I suppose that means take out the arm early with a heavy-hitter, like the PAX. I think I also have to kill the Medkit enemies with a Torso finisher to get them to drop a heal, which will help down there.
I never really had a problem with those guys, but I only ran into them when I went back close to the end game so I was pretty well equipped. I can't remember what it takes to get the heals. I'm not sure I really worked it out. I doubt it is a torso finisher because I never do that unless I need that armor piece and I was still getting heals from them.
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 amI have been really enjoying the Kingfisher (CREO World Staff from a miniboss). My Single-Rigged is up to 18, and my Staff is up to 14. Twin-Rigged is something like 9, and the other two are at like 5 or 6.
KIngfisher or Helvig's Kingfisher? I got Helvig's without looking up the requirement. Apparently it's just chopping his arm. 18 is really, really high for where you are in the game. I think I just hit 19 on my main weapons (twin-rigged) and I am in MK VII gear and close to the second boss on NG+. I think I am around 16 on single rigged and next to nothing on everything else. I need to work on that a little bit for the 5+ on everything achievement.
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 amI'm up to 71 Core Power, but spend a lot of time running around in the Iron Maus suit. It has a stupidly low power requirement and pretty good defense with no drawbacks, but no benefits - unless you count being able to supercharge on Implants... If I put on the MANTIS armor, I have to sacrifice a good implant to wear it, by about 4 or 5 Core power. It's not worth it for 10 defense and cheaper injectables.
I continue to play in liquidator because I like not having to watch my step anywhere. I wore Ironmaus to take out Carbon Cat, but that's it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 amKIngfisher or Helvig's Kingfisher? I got Helvig's without looking up the requirement. Apparently it's just chopping his arm. 18 is really, really high for where you are in the game. I think I just hit 19 on my main weapons (twin-rigged) and I am in MK VII gear and close to the second boss on NG+. I think I am around 16 on single rigged and next to nothing on everything else. I need to work on that a little bit for the 5+ on everything achievement.
Kingfisher. I tried repeatedly to get the V2.0 weapon, the every time I did a finisher, it ended up generic and his arm didn't come off. I think I tried a dozen times. Failed each time.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 am
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 amAfter that I was sent back to CREO World. No problem... until I get to the lower levels. Jeebus. Those nanite-infected Animatronics with whips that can hit me regardless of how far back I dodge slaughtered me. I suppose that means take out the arm early with a heavy-hitter, like the PAX. I think I also have to kill the Medkit enemies with a Torso finisher to get them to drop a heal, which will help down there.
I never really had a problem with those guys, but I only ran into them when I went back close to the end game so I was pretty well equipped. I can't remember what it takes to get the heals. I'm not sure I really worked it out. I doubt it is a torso finisher because I never do that unless I need that armor piece and I was still getting heals from them.
I did have a heal drop on a Torso Finish, but maybe it was random.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 am
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 amI'm up to 71 Core Power, but spend a lot of time running around in the Iron Maus suit. It has a stupidly low power requirement and pretty good defense with no drawbacks, but no benefits - unless you count being able to supercharge on Implants... If I put on the MANTIS armor, I have to sacrifice a good implant to wear it, by about 4 or 5 Core power. It's not worth it for 10 defense and cheaper injectables.
I continue to play in liquidator because I like not having to watch my step anywhere. I wore Ironmaus to take out Carbon Cat, but that's it.
I keep ending up in Liquidator when I find my feet burning or enemies are throwing gas grenades. I think Iron Maus is a little higher on defense and better for Drone power usage.
Black Lives Matter

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

We'll see how this goes since I generally suck at these kind of games but snagged it on the Xbox since it was only $12.50...
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 am We'll see how this goes since I generally suck at these kind of games but snagged it on the Xbox since it was only $12.50...
This on the easier side of the Dark Souls games. I'm very excited for the sequel (I would be 10x as excited for a Bloodborne sequel though).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Surge 2 - 9/24/2019 on ps4/xbox/PC
-Coop
Black Lives Matter