The Surge - Sci-Fi - Melee Combat RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

KDH

The Surge - Sci-Fi - Melee Combat RPG

Post by KDH »

:coffee: .. Image <--- steam

According to The publisher, Focus Home Interactive .. The Surge has completed development and will release on May 16
Set in a heavily dystopian future as Earth nears the end of its life, those who remain in the overpopulated cities must work to survive as social programs become saturated by an ageing population and increasing environmental diseases. As the intelligence of technology incrementally increased over the years, many jobs for the human race had been made redundant, forcing Earth's citizens to head out into the suburbs seeking labor, aided by exoskeletons to improve their efficiency. The world of The Surge offers a very grim vision of the future, where the evolution of our technology, our society and our relation with the environment led to a decadent state of the Human civilization. The Surge features innovative combat mechanics and an original character progression system based on modular upgrades gained through tight, visceral combat.

Key Features

Tight, visceral hardcore action RPG combat
Unique targeting, dismemberment and level up systems
Explore a dystopian world full of mystery
Battle an array of huge, fearsome bosses
Loot, craft, and upgrade new weapons and armors
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Ain't nobody got time for that
GreenGoo

Re: The Surge - Sci-Fi - Melee Combat RPG

Post by GreenGoo »

Reviews+price will determine my interest. Certainly sounds interesting and the promo video is expensive if not particularly exciting.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They have my attention, but I'm with GreenGoo on waiting for reviews.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:auto-camptrailer: ... New Surge Trailer ... Image

:auto-camptrailer: ... Old Surge Trailer ... Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Actual gameplay looks pretty solid. Obviously there is good looking combat that sucks as far as fun goes and good looking combat that doesn't suck. It's very hard to tell which is which until you play it, although watching the combat closely this game seems like the combat is dynamic and decisions you make actually impact success or failure, while the game itself turns those decisions into beautifully fluid animations. This has always been the holy grail of combat games.

Games have been pretty to look at but unwieldy to play, or have limited options available to the player. Or they have been ugly and jerky to watch but allow for more and varied tactics.

I like that the Surge is very pretty to watch yet appears to have a lot of tactical options that flow smoothly into the combat animations. I think the chances that I will enjoy the combat in this game are getting better the more I see.

In case I wasn't clear, the gameplay LOOKS great, and the player's ability to make meaningful decisions that also look pretty seem to be there. I probably won't know until I actually play it, but I haven't bought a game at full price in a couple of years at least, I think.

I haven't looked, but what sort of game is it? Open world multiplayer? RPG? Competitive/team based 3rd person melee'r? Obviously I can check for myself but I'm going to bed so I guess I'll have the answer tomorrow.
KDH

Post by KDH »

an RPG with Crafting\Looting .. seems to be Melee only. I would appreciate some skulking-around and robust climbing + jumping abilities after playing games like "Shadow of Mordor"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think the parkour of Dying Light and other games like Titanfall 1 & 2 should be included in pretty much any game that isn't about clunky robot tanks.

It adds such a great feel of fluidity and superhuman ability, but grounded/based in reality.

I actually prefer melee (well, good and well designed melee) to ranged combat most of the time, so this could really hook me.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

There's a reason why bayonet charges aren't really made any more (and don't go post some story about the rare times they have been made in recent history). "The Force" excepted, a good blaster or rifle or machine gun beats a sword every time.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

When Blues News posted about the combat trailer a couple of days ago, I made the mistake of checking out the comments section for it. :roll:

It quickly devolved into a "discussion" of what on rails means after someone commented that:

Watched some gameplay videos and wow.... on rails repeat till dead masher.
-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote:There's a reason why bayonet charges aren't really made any more (and don't go post some story about the rare times they have been made in recent history). "The Force" excepted, a good blaster or rifle or machine gun beats a sword every time.
Yawn.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo wrote:
Grifman wrote:There's a reason why bayonet charges aren't really made any more (and don't go post some story about the rare times they have been made in recent history). "The Force" excepted, a good blaster or rifle or machine gun beats a sword every time.
Yawn.
Feel free to go back to sleep.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Yawn.
Stay away from my games with your "facts".

*scowl*
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo wrote:
Grifman wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Yawn.
Stay away from my games with your "facts".

*scowl*
"Fake games" :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ignoring Bayonets for a moment, but I just watched ChristopherOdd playing the first hour of gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRn7eUha-4&t=184s

Very Dark Souls, but with some sweet, sweet differences.

First, obviously, you are wearing an exoskeleton, but how you get the parts for it... the crafting and resource gathering here is beautiful. I don't even want to spoil it for anyone that wants to be surprised. There are a couple of great surprises in the first 20 minutes that kind of make me wish I hadn't seen them.

In the Souls-like category, you get tech scrap which are your souls. At ops centers you can level up, I mean increase your core level and it respawns enemies and refills your healing pots. Dying leaves your souls, err scrap behind. I'm totally in on this.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the word, coop?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The word is that it arrives from Amazon today (I am getting it on PS4 so no preload late night play last night). I hope to be playing all evening tonight, but that depends on the wife and kids. Impressions tomorrow morning.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:The word is that it arrives from Amazon today (I am getting it on PS4 so no preload late night play last night). I hope to be playing all evening tonight, but that depends on the wife and kids. Impressions tomorrow morning.
I'm fairly sure I'm not skilled enough to play this but it reminds me of Bioshock and I really want to play it.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I got hooked watching the Mr. Odd video and despite not really being a big fan of Dark Souls, I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm not well versed enough on Dark Souls to do an adequate comparison, but I'm enjoying the mysteries of the setting, the combat, the crafting system, and the exo suits.

Also anecdotal, but I never could get very far in any Dark Souls games, but I'm successfully on to the second area in this for what it's worth.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I took a quick look at that video, one thing freaks me out. Everything looks spotlessly clean. The graphics are great, like Half Life 2 done with today's tech. But in HL2 when you arrived at the station it felt more real, because it was grimy and looked used.

I haven't played this Surge game, so maybe that's explained but do they have an army of people or robots sweeping away every speck of dirt all the time?

Also, there needs to be an action game where your character is in a wheelchair, I'm surprised now that this doesn't exist(that I know of). It immediately makes what would otherwise be a 'been there/done that' game concept into something fresh and interesting. Imagine you're in a plane crash, and you're the only survivor. You have to find your wheelchair, fix it, then use it to find your way to safety. It'd be like a Tomb Raider game, but with an all new perspective and challenges.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I have played about 2 hours and just made it to the 2nd stage/map/whatever. So far I am really liking this. I am not a huge Dark Souls fan but this is pretty darn good so far. The crafting, upgrade, power system seems pretty well thought out. Really fun so far.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played for a couple hours last night, but I couldn't get past the first boss. At this point, everything else in the starter area is trivial. I think the fact that you can basically go toe to toe with anything else kept me from learning how to use my weapon better. When I am fighting the boss I see the stomp coming back I can't dodge out because I just made an attack. Maybe I need to switch to a faster weapon for the boss. I also chose the fast/agile option at the beginning and I am traditionally more of a heavy hitter guy, so I am having to adjust my playstyle there too.

My only real complaint is the inventory screens. Everything is so freaking small, I can hardly tell what I am looking at... and I am playing on a ~105" screen (and yes, I am wearing my glasses). It's the worst with the implants, where the name isn't really enough to go on.

OK, that all sounds pretty negative, but I am liking the game. I like the parts harvesting and upgrade parts and the way your loadout options are gated by your level but not in the way we are generally accustomed. Each piece of equipment, armor and implant has a power requirement. You level is your total power capacity. As you level up you can equip better stuff (duh), but the interesting part is you end up with choices like, I can equip this really good implant... or two pieces of this better armor. You gain one more level and maybe the best option changes, now you can squeeze in one of the armor upgrades along side the Mk II implant. I'm still really early so we will see if this all pans out. Back to the harvesting, I need to craft a helmet, so let me chop some heads to get helmet parts. :twisted:

As far as the combat, it's faster than Dark Souls, closer to Bloodbourne. it's definitely more than a button masher. You can totally get yourself in trouble with more than one enemy, or even with one if you get sloppy. That sledgehammer guy...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Having watched more of the gameplay video coop posted, I'm tempted to pay full price for the game. Tempted.

"But it's so much money" whines my inner miser.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

15% off on green man. I don't know what that translates to in loonies.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:15% off on green man. I don't know what that translates to in loonies.
20.38%
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you buy a PS4 I'll send you the game when I am done with it. Well, I have a friend in Potsdam. I'll have her throw it across the border... it might get wet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:15% off on green man. I don't know what that translates to in loonies.
I missed it apparently. Oh well.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I did pretty well in the first section of the game, but so far I'm getting my ass handed to me in the second section of the game. Starting to figure out some tactics against the guys with the hammers, but I also keep finding elevators and tunnels to explore that lead me to creatures that slaughter me in a hit or two. That gets to be where it's hard to keep pushing myself forward when I start dying a lot more often.

Still enjoying the combat at it's core though, so I'll probably keep chipping away at it. For now I've tried switching from the heavy blade I got off the first boss and trying out the weapon that's like 2 1 handed weapons. Seems like I'm having better luck in this area with that little more mobility in fights.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes, the second area is a bitch compared to the first. I also switched weapons, but I went back to the one that has the two laser blades. I've gotten a handle on the hammer guys and the guys using your weapon. The weapon you are using is easy to block and stagger. The hammer guys are slow. You just need to get the hell out of the way when they do their big swings.

So far I have just been avoiding the machines, but I think I am about ready to work on solving that problem. There is a shortcut that basically goes directly to one of them with only one guy in the way, so I can give a dozen or so tries and figure it out. Most of my gear is upgraded to Mk II now so maybe it will suck less.

I will say that I think the combat does not stand up to Dark Souls. I think it's mostly because it is so much faster, you can't be quite as thoughtful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: I will say that I think the combat does not stand up to Dark Souls. I think it's mostly because it is so much faster, you can't be quite as thoughtful.
Interesting.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Steam reviews says first couple hours are fun, then it turned into a horrible grind.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kasey Chang wrote:Steam reviews says first couple hours are fun, then it turned into a horrible grind.
Was just going to ask a related question.

Now that you guys have had a couple of days, do you find there are enough combat animations? I was at least 1/2 through Arkham City if not further before I stopped discovering new combat animations.

In a combat heavy game, it's obviously very important that the combat doesn't get repetitive, either via pressing the same buttons in the same sequence over and over again, or visually cycling through the 3 (for example) combat animations in the game.

So how does the combat feel? Interesting? Varied? Fun/exciting? Or is it just "dodge, parry, thrust, spin, repeat" over and over again?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kasey Chang wrote:Steam reviews says first couple hours are fun, then it turned into a horrible grind.
First, I have about 9 hours in now... this morning, I went up to squeeze in 20 minutes before work... that is not a sign of a horrible grind. I have not had to do any literal grinding. I fail enough that I build up plenty of resources naturally.
GreenGoo wrote:So how does the combat feel? Interesting? Varied? Fun/exciting? Or is it just "dodge, parry, thrust, spin, repeat" over and over again?
Second, I still find the combat interesting/frustrating. I am definitely noticing the repeated executions. As to the regular attack animations. I don't think I am the guy to answer that as I don't have a great eye for detail. There is definitely a recognition and repetition. I see the guy with the dual blades and I know I have to block his initial rush then beat his face quickly. I see the guy with the big hammer and know I want to jump clear of his initial big swing then move in and give him a few hits and then back out.

What you do also changes based on what you want from the fight. Each humanoid opponent has 6 target areas and some of them are armored and others not. You can target them to see. If you want to kill quickly you hit the unarmored parts. If you want to harvest parts, you go for the armored, because otherwise they die too fast and you can't generate the energy for a finisher. If you are targeting legs, you probably want to use horizontal attacks. For the head or body, maybe a vertical attack would be a better idea. You can always combo them in various ways.

It's very involved... and I am revising my negative judgment a little bit as I am getting used to it. It's still not as good as Bloodborne, but it is not as bad as I may have made it seem.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:
Second, I still find the combat interesting/frustrating. I am definitely noticing the repeated executions. As to the regular attack animations. I don't think I am the guy to answer that as I don't have a great eye for detail.
That's ok. How does the combat "feel" then? Without paying close attention to what is happening during combat, what sort of emotion (if any, I know you're a soulless automaton) do you experience when engaging an opponent? Is it fun? Are you having a good time? Sounds like you are, but I'll ask directly.
coopasonic wrote: There is definitely a recognition and repetition. I see the guy with the dual blades and I know I have to block his initial rush then beat his face quickly. I see the guy with the big hammer and know I want to jump clear of his initial big swing then move in and give him a few hits and then back out.
And that's fine. I would expect each unit type to fight in the same way as other units of the same type, so that's not overly concerning to me. Are their enough opponents though? If there are only 3 opponent types, or high level opponents are just reskinned lower level opponents with more health and damage, that's not good. Do you find enough variety in your encounters?

Honestly it sounds decent, and the videos look like fun. The meta aspects of combat salvage and gearing up look interesting.

I have that new game craving, but I'm trying to approach this carefully. Nothing annoys me more than giving in to my avarice for games only to find out I paid full price for a mediocre game.

Hell, I waited more than year for both Borderlands and Dead Island to drop in price, and I absolutely knew I would love those games. I'm not nearly as confident in this game, but I sure do want it. :wink:
coopasonic wrote:
It's very involved... and I am revising my negative judgment a little bit as I am getting used to it. It's still not as good as Bloodborne, but it is not as bad as I may have made it seem.
That sounds very encouraging.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Second, I still find the combat interesting/frustrating. I am definitely noticing the repeated executions. As to the regular attack animations. I don't think I am the guy to answer that as I don't have a great eye for detail.
That's ok. How does the combat "feel" then? Without paying close attention to what is happening during combat, what sort of emotion (if any, I know you're a soulless automaton) do you experience when engaging an opponent? Is it fun? Are you having a good time? Sounds like you are, but I'll ask directly.
Feelings, what are these feelings? Mostly it's tension followed by satisfaction or disappointment. In games like Arkham or Shadows of Mordor or Mad Max, combat is largely trivial one on one. You wait for the attack, then parry and counterattack. The tension is created by multiple enemies. In Surge or Dark Souls, one enemy creates plenty of tension. You *can't* die to one guy in Arkham unless you really try. You will die to one guy in Surge. A lot... probably because you over-committed to an attack and couldn't back out when he brought the hammer down or missed the quick cue that the backhand attack was coming. Combat in Shadows of Mordor is fun because you took out a chain of 15 guys and then their boss and you never even got hit. You are a hero! Combat in The Surge is fun because you finally made it past that damn bridge with the two guys on mounted guns after you figured how to distract one long enough to deal with the other and finally got that loot you saw an hour ago. The challenge is the fun. You are not a hero, you are a survivor (I mean ignoring how you die all the f-ing time).
GreenGoo wrote:
coopasonic wrote: There is definitely a recognition and repetition. I see the guy with the dual blades and I know I have to block his initial rush then beat his face quickly. I see the guy with the big hammer and know I want to jump clear of his initial big swing then move in and give him a few hits and then back out.
And that's fine. I would expect each unit type to fight in the same way as other units of the same type, so that's not overly concerning to me. Are their enough opponents though? If there are only 3 opponent types, or high level opponents are just reskinned lower level opponents with more health and damage, that's not good. Do you find enough variety in your encounters?
For the most part, the stuff you run into had the same equipment options you do... you know since you get equipment from the corpses of your enemies. Different combinations of weapons and armor make for different experiences with enemies. There really only seem to be a handful of enemy types in an area. I don't know how it changes higher up. The second area introduced the double sword guys and umm... "rolly bots" on top of the single sword guys, hammer guys and drones. There are also the staff guys, but you don't fight them. You go way out of your way to avoid them. Actually rolly bots are generally best avoided also. :P
GreenGoo wrote:Honestly it sounds decent, and the videos look like fun. The meta aspects of combat salvage and gearing up look interesting.

I have that new game craving, but I'm trying to approach this carefully. Nothing annoys me more than giving in to my avarice for games only to find out I paid full price for a mediocre game.

Hell, I waited more than year for both Borderlands and Dead Island to drop in price, and I absolutely knew I would love those games. I'm not nearly as confident in this game, but I sure do want it. :wink:
coopasonic wrote:
That sounds very encouraging.
It's not as awesome as I had hoped but it is a lot of fun and pretty damn hard. I pay 80% for lots of games and rarely regret it. If you want to be more selective, Humble has Dark Souls III for half price. People who know things say it is better than Bloodborne (same developer). I can't say for sure as I want to finish the first two before I get into 3 and ruin all games that came before it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I think coop's opinions match my own pretty closely.

After a few upgrades I've finally gotten my legs under me in the second area. I suppose if you are a little under powered there's a little grinding to do, but it''s generally grinding as you explore the environment which makes it much less of a chore. Yeah, I might be saving up resources for some leg upgrades, but at the same time I'm finally fighting my way to the bottom of those stairs I found, or getting access to a new shortcut, etc.

I'm sure it's possible to grind at certain points, but the game and it's environment keep that from feeling like work.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for the responses guys. I was considering paying full price for this due to a perfect storm of "special occasion" and "just finished with my current game" not to mention an "unusually keen interest" but I think I'll wait a month (maybe. I'm still wishywashy on this ) and see what the summer sale brings.

If I had the first Dark Souls I'd be playing that, but since it's been as low as 5 bucks before, and it's 20ish now, I'd feel I was wasting money if I bought it right now.

My point is, if I see Dark Souls for 5 bucks, that will probably become my focus. If the Surge goes on sale in the meantime, I'll probably pick it up. When I saw GMG had the surge for 15%, I decided to buy it (it was a better deal than the 10% off pre-order deal) but I was too late for that.

Keep the comments coming as you have time and interest. If you want to comment on the story as it unfolds (assuming there is one) or anything that catches your interest really.

edit: for some reason I'm adamant about trying out the original Dark Souls before trying any others in the series.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Surge is showing 20% off on green man for me now.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-surge/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:The Surge is showing 20% off on green man for me now.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-surge/
Awesome, thanks!

What's a VIP? They get it for 10 bucks cheaper.

edit: And that's the sale. VIP's get 20% off. Otherwise it's 50 bucks US regular price. Steam is telling me it's 65 bucks CDN.

edit2: Apparently I created an account some time ago. I don't remember ever buying anything from them, but hey. (Battlefleet Gothic and Stellaris, fyi).

edit3: Before I pull the trigger, are there any discount codes that work with it right now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, no one has to hear about my money issues any longer.

Downloading now. Thanks for the heads up Coop. I'm surprised the install has such a small footprint.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:edit3: Before I pull the trigger, are there any discount codes that work with it right now?
Now that they do the VIP discount things there aren't vouchers flying around all the time like there used to be. They still do them sometimes, but not often and never on what I want.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter