Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Anybody playing Portal Knights?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Sun May 14, 2017 2:42 pm

My son and I are playing today as his Mother's day gift to me. I've played a bit, and watched a little video, seems right up my alley!
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30678
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by tgb » Sun May 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Not familiar with it at all.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Mon May 15, 2017 8:51 am

It has been described as 70% Minecraft and 30% Zelda. We had a great time playing it yesterday.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9658
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by wonderpug » Mon May 15, 2017 10:46 am

Looks really neat, thanks for the heads up! I'm burnt out on early access games, but I've got it added to the wishlist now to keep an eye on it.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

wonderpug wrote:Looks really neat, thanks for the heads up! I'm burnt out on early access games, but I've got it added to the wishlist now to keep an eye on it.
It's coming out of Early Access next month, so not too long to wait.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 am

Oops, Portal Knights came out of EA today. I haven't had a chance to play 1.0 and probably won't for a bit but I'm looking forward to it!
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9658
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by wonderpug » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm sold on the game, but I just read that a Nintendo Switch version is in the works. No release date yet, but I think I'll wait for that version.

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 pm

wonderpug wrote:I'm sold on the game, but I just read that a Nintendo Switch version is in the works. No release date yet, but I think I'll wait for that version.
Better hope the camera is better than the ones for the Xbox/PS4. Compared to the Steam version the camera was nuts. Otherwise I'd have bought it on one of those instead (there's demos for both consoles).
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9658
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by wonderpug » Thu May 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Lorini wrote:
wonderpug wrote:I'm sold on the game, but I just read that a Nintendo Switch version is in the works. No release date yet, but I think I'll wait for that version.
Better hope the camera is better than the ones for the Xbox/PS4. Compared to the Steam version the camera was nuts. Otherwise I'd have bought it on one of those instead (there's demos for both consoles).
Oh yeah? Trouble with keeping it at a useful angle or something?

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm

wonderpug wrote:
Lorini wrote:
wonderpug wrote:I'm sold on the game, but I just read that a Nintendo Switch version is in the works. No release date yet, but I think I'll wait for that version.
Better hope the camera is better than the ones for the Xbox/PS4. Compared to the Steam version the camera was nuts. Otherwise I'd have bought it on one of those instead (there's demos for both consoles).
Oh yeah? Trouble with keeping it at a useful angle or something?
It's too loose. You want to move it a small distance and it moves a wide distance, meaning you have to keep correcting it. Annoying coming from the more precise PC version.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 16144
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish
coopasonic’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by coopasonic » Sun May 21, 2017 12:19 pm

My older son (almost 11) and I have been having fun with this all weekend.
-Coop

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 16144
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish
coopasonic’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by coopasonic » Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 pm

We got through the second boss after dinner last night. That was fun, but we are not ready for the level 20+ stuff int he worlds past the boss. We have gone back to the previous areas to find fur to upgrade his armor. He is a Ranger and I am a Fighter. We're both having a lot of fun with it. I never really liked Minecraft because it was a pure sandbox. This gives me something to work towards. I am still doing sand-boxy stuff, building my own house and such, but I just don't enjoy pure sandbox. It also helps that it is much better looking than minecraft.
-Coop

User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California
lorini.a’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Lorini » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 pm

coopasonic wrote:We got through the second boss after dinner last night. That was fun, but we are not ready for the level 20+ stuff int he worlds past the boss. We have gone back to the previous areas to find fur to upgrade his armor. He is a Ranger and I am a Fighter. We're both having a lot of fun with it. I never really liked Minecraft because it was a pure sandbox. This gives me something to work towards. I am still doing sand-boxy stuff, building my own house and such, but I just don't enjoy pure sandbox. It also helps that it is much better looking than minecraft.

Agreed on the graphics, plus it has real bosses.
Steer into the drift.

User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 6241
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by hitbyambulance » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:41 am

thinking about getting this in the Steam sale. should be fun with the nephews, but i'd have no one else to play it with

User avatar
Tao
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:47 pm

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Tao » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm

I generally play it solo and it works pretty well. I have only killed the first 3 Bosses though. It's a good light game and easy to kill several hours exploring worlds and working toward the next "goal".
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 16144
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish
coopasonic’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by coopasonic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:08 pm

It also has the Minecraft like creative opportunities, but with better graphics built-in.
-Coop

User avatar
Baroquen
Posts: 3487
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:45 pm

Re: Anybody playing Portal Knights?

Post by Baroquen » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Yeah, I've ignored this title, but coincidentally read a article talking about it's new DLC. Sounds like something my son (and daughter) would like to play, so I grabbed it. Haven't tried it yet, but it says it offers local split-screen co-op so we'll see how that goes.

Post Reply