Battlestar Galactica:Deadlock

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Battlestar Galactica:Deadlock

Post by tgb »

Coming in August from Slitherine.

It uses the excellent Star Hammer engine (turn based WEGO) so I'm really looking forward to it. It goes without saying that I've already applied for the closed beta. Given my history testing for Slitherine/Matrix I'm really looking forward to it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Re: Battlestar Galactica:Deadlock

Post by El Guapo »

Interesting. I don't see any footage that's clearly gameplay footage in that - sounds like this is basically a 3D RTS game?

Also, looks like the main character is Lucinda Cain - is she related to Helena Cain in the BSG universe? Possibly her mother?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Intrigued!

I guess the question is whether this is more Starfleet Command or Homeworld.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Not that this has anything at all to do with the game, but didnt "Apollo" (Richard Hatch) die earlier this year?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Malacheye wrote:Not that this has anything at all to do with the game, but didnt "Apollo" (Richard Hatch) die earlier this year?
A search of a reputable source says, yes.

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... h#p2444431

:D
tgb

Post by tgb »

As noted in my original post (reading comprehension is fun!) it's turn-based.

Since it's based on the e unjustly-ignored Star Hammer:The Vanguard Prophecy you can probably get a feel for what it will be like from Let's Plays for the earlier game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tgb wrote:As noted in my original post (reading comprehension is fun!) it's turn-based.

Since it's based on the e unjustly-ignored Star Hammer:The Vanguard Prophecy you can probably get a feel for what it will be like from Let's Plays for the earlier game.
I don't come here to read your posts, man. I come here to raise my count.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote:Interesting. I don't see any footage that's clearly gameplay footage in that - sounds like this is basically a 3D RTS game?
No, it's TB.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote:Intrigued!

I guess the question is whether this is more Starfleet Command or Homeworld.
Neither.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I haven't been following (until just recently) this game and I am hearing some really good things about it. Seems to have flown in under the radar but it sounds really great and is getting some very favorable previews:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/battle ... imulation/

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/28/15887 ... lease-date

http://kotaku.com/we-finally-got-a-good ... 1797423707

Anyone else interested?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else interested?
Years ago ya....I would have drooled on it. These days with who Ive become Im not sure its for me at all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've dreamed of a good tactical turn-based space battle game for ages. BSG seems like one of the best potential settings.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Daehawk wrote:
Anyone else interested?
Years ago ya....I would have drooled on it. These days with who Ive become Im not sure its for me at all.

What have you become, Daehawk? TELL US, WHAT HAVE YOU BECOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
Daehawk wrote:
Anyone else interested?

What have you become, Daehawk? TELL US, WHAT HAVE YOU BECOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!
He's a Cylon...? :ninja:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grifman wrote:I haven't been following (until just recently) this game and I am hearing some really good things about it. Seems to have flown in under the radar but it sounds really great and is getting some very favorable previews:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/battle ... imulation/

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/28/15887 ... lease-date

http://kotaku.com/we-finally-got-a-good ... 1797423707

Anyone else interested?
As fun as they are, the centrepiece of Deadlock isn’t the tactical battles, it’s the surprisingly large and involved singleplayer campaign. Instead of just serving as a series of tutorials introducing you to bigger ships and better weapons, Deadlock’s campaign borrows heavily from XCOM’s, asking you to race around the 12 Colonies fighting Cylons, trying to keep each planet happy enough to stay in the fight and lend their resources to the war effort while also trying to complete story missions along the way.
That sounds positive for my (potential) money.

Will this one be released on Steam? I've purchased several other Slitherine games in the past, whose licenses have been lost to time and that makes me somewhere between sad and annoyed.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was in the beta but haven't been active the last few weeks due to my health issues. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

It will be on Steam on Thursday.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I am interested, but it will heavily depend on price. Not sure if I'll buy it past $30 unless they have a demo that hooks me. not sure why the company has a policy not to release pricing prior to release. Doesn't make sense to me..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's out, but it's a little on the expensive side for me. Anyone pick it up yet? Any impressions?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Ow. $40, and released on heels of WotC, which in itself was a c$unk, but at least a "known entity". As much as I like how it looks and what it claims on the tin, I have way too much to play with using my limited game time and still have not played their previous Star Hammer title, which at least has similar gameplay. Pass for now.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Man the type of game and theme is perfect for me, though I don't have a ton of time to actually *play* it.

Most likely I'll pick it up at some point, play it for a couple hours, then never get around to playing it again.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Freyland wrote:Ow. $40, and released on heels of WotC, which in itself was a c$unk, but at least a "known entity". As much as I like how it looks and what it claims on the tin, I have way too much to play with using my limited game time and still have not played their previous Star Hammer title, which at least has similar gameplay. Pass for now.
$40 is a high price point for me as well. Especially as my history with Slitherine is fun to discover and then set down. I'll wait for reviews and/or a sale.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was in the closed beta, although between my health issues and other personal matters I wasn't able to give it a lot of time. In fact, it's been several builds since I played it, so some of this may have changed.

I thought it was a good, polished upgrade to the Star Hammer engine. My biggest beef is that it was obviously made by, and for, fans of BSG, which does not include me. As a result, I found unfamiliarity with the lore to be a barrier to immersion. I suggested the tutorial be re-worked to be made more noob-friendly, and the developers said they would do that, but I never had the chance to go back and see if they did.

I did get a copy today just for being in the beta, I guess, so I'll be checking it out myself later today.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I was hoping this would come in at $20, but right now, too high for me. I am a fan of BSG (Although, I would like some old school love).
I have yet to play Star Hammer, so I will have that for now.
spelk

Post by spelk »

I did a writeup of a particularly gnarly defence in BSG:D

http://sugarfreegamer.com/deadlocked-defence/
spelk
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:11 pm I was hoping this would come in at $20, but right now, too high for me. I am a fan of BSG (Although, I would like some old school love).
$29.99 on Fanatical https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/battl ... a-deadlock
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am
Punisher wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:11 pm I was hoping this would come in at $20, but right now, too high for me. I am a fan of BSG (Although, I would like some old school love).
It's $29.99 on Slitherine/Matrix's site right now too, and I'm guessing will be the same price during the Steam winter sale.

I know I'll probably grab this eventually, but I have too many games in the backlog right now.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am
You can also use the coupon code for another 10% off, so looks like a now purchase for me!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'm still gonna hold off. Have a huge backlog of games and miniatures to paint, so I can have patience. At this point probably waiting until sub $15 now. My gotta have it now feeling has passed.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I decided to make my first attempt at the game. Selected the Colonial Fleet and 4000 points. Selected 3 Adamants with missiles and Vipers, and then 3 Manticores, 2 with torpedoes and 1 with missiles (not enough points for all 3 with torpedoes).

My plan was to cross the Cylon "T" with my Adamants as they have good broadsides, and sweep wide with my Manticores and then sweep back in and make torpedo runs, and launch all of my Vipers to take out any Cylon fighters. Of course, the plan went out the window once the fight started. The enemy had 3 Talons (their version of Adamants),a and 4 ships (can't remember the name) that specialize in hacking. They hacked two of my Manticores leaving them dead in space, and started hacking an Adamant. Meanwhile, my Vipers killed his fighters, while i got a good missile strike in on a Talon, leaving it pretty crippled (but one of my Adamants was heavily damaged in the exchange). I directed my fighters on the crippled Talon, and my remaining Manticore make a torpedo run on it and destroyed it. The other two Talons had charged too far, too fast and had taken themselves out of the battle and had to circle round.

I charged my Adamants at the hacking ships and took out one of them. Meanwhile my Vipers and Manticore, after taking out the Talon, I directed to one of the hackers, and another torpedo run took it out. One of my hacked Maniticores was hit by Talon missiles and went down. My heavily damaged Adamant went down to another missile barrage.

So, now was the crucial point. I had one active Adamant, one active Manticore, a hacked Admanant, and a hacked Manticore, both repairing themselves as fast as they could, along with 3 Viper squadrons. The enemy had two Talons and two hackers. So the questions was two fold - could I destroy his 2 remaining hackers before they could cripple any ships,and could my hacked ships repair themselves before the enemy Talons swung back around.

Luckily, my Adamant took out another hacker, though it sustained another missile attack from a Talon. With only one hacker remaining, my other ships managed to repair themselves and take it out. My Vipers meanwhile attacked a Talon and missile strikes from my Adamant and Manticore took it out. Then my undamaged Adamant, my Vipers attacked, with my Adamant, giving a broadside, then turning and raking the Talon rear, while my Manticore made a final torpedo run which destroyed it. The victory was mine.

Learnings:
1) Vipers are very powerful and can take out Cylon raiders pretty easily. They also do pretty good on capital ships. They were my ace in the hole in this battle, and I think really swung the tide at a couple of the crucial points.
2) Hackers are a pain and potentially very dangerous. Your ships have subsystems (navigation, fire control, etc) and they can make it impossible to move or fire.
3) When facing hacker, just plunge past the main enemy ships and focus on them. The main enemy warships will hopefully swing past take themselves out of the battle, giving you time to focus on the hackers.
4) Though unguided (unlike missiles), torpedoes can be very powerful. But unlike missiles, you can't fire them from across the battlefield. You need to get close, but if you get in a good position you can do devastating damage.

This is a really great game, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Loved it.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Just took a look and it is $40 on Steam - way too rich for my blood!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DD* wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm Just took a look and it is $40 on Steam - way too rich for my blood!
It is well worth the price, IMO. This is a very good TB space combat tactical simulator. There are a lot of interesting decisions to make before and during a battle.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Fanatical has the game for 50% off for the next 24 hours. Better grab it now!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

There is a new DLC out now, that adds 8 missions to the game and some new toys to play around with. They've also continued to patch and enhance the game. With a sale on at 50% off, now is a good time to pick this game up. It is really good and captures the feel of combat in that universe. More details here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... m+RSS%29
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Unfortunately the persistent damage feature introduced by the new patch only applies to new campaigns but it's such a good feature that I don't mind starting over.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
DD*

Post by DD* »

On sale on Steam for 19.99... and Friday is payday :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 pmI decided to make my first attempt at the game. Selected the Colonial Fleet and 4000 points. Selected 3 Adamants with missiles and Vipers, and then 3 Manticores, 2 with torpedoes and 1 with missiles (not enough points for all 3 with torpedoes).
What kind of customization can you do with the ships/fighters?

I like the setting, the game looks good, and if there's customization I'm probably sold on the base+2 DLC.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

DD* wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm On sale on Steam for 19.99... and Friday is payday :)
That explains why Steam has been advertising the game incessantly to me and this thread explains why it was familiar and why the ads kept catching my eye.

I may have to think about it tonight at the $20 price point if I don't get distracted and am not too tired. Though after that DLC it goes up to $31.47, which make me gunshy when I'm already enjoying the Battleforce Templar SpaceHulklike game and have several other games sitting on my desktop and am waiting for several others to release.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I rarely see Grifman gush. Purchasened!
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yeah. After a little more research, me too. Tossed in the DLC's for kicks too - Same sale on GoG, so I got it there.

As far as I can tell, you can't customize the ships loadout - but you can assign and upgrade things on them like better officers - and those elements carry through fight to fight, making the ships increasingly useful and painful to lose.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.