Far Cry 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Far Cry 5

Post by Daehawk »

This is going to be great. The old crop duster dogfighting the WW2 fighter notwithstanding :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I almost want to buy that statue so I can put a #MAGA logo in front of it. :D

I can't wait for this game. Far Cry is one of the few series in which I was there from the beginning and bought and finished every game in the series along the way. Looks fantastic and I love the crazy setting.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Pardon the dumb question, but is this coming out for PC?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 pm Pardon the dumb question, but is this coming out for PC?
Yes, end of March.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 pm
Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 pm Pardon the dumb question, but is this coming out for PC?
Yes, end of March.
Thanks!!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ubisoft has posted the required PC specs. My video card is above minimums, but below recommended. However, I was just fine with medium graphics in Ghost Recon Wildlands, so I guess I'll be OK with this. FC5 might be the last big AAA title I play on PC anyway, I'm thinking that it might be time to get a new console.
MINIMUM CONFIGURATION:
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or AMD R9 270 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 720p
Video Preset: Low

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION (60 FPS):
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1080p
Video Preset: High

4K 30 FPS CONFIGURATION:
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.6 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 or AMD RX Vega 56 (8GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 16GB
Resolution: 2160p
Video Preset: High

4K 60 FPS CONFIGURATION:
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SLI or AMD RX Vega 56 CFX (8GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 16GB
Resolution: 2160p
Video Preset: High/Ultra

*Supported NVIDIA cards at time of release:

GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX670 or better
GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better
GeForce GTX900 series: GeForce GTX950 or better
GeForce GTX10-Series: GeForce GTX1050 or better

**Supported AMD cards at time of release:

Radeon 200 series: Radeon R9 270 or better
Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R7 370 or better
Radeon 400 series: Radeon RX 460 or better
Radeon Vega series: any Radeon Vega series
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just checked Green Man Gaming and with my VIP status (which I'm remembering is because I have an account) the discount is 16% off each of the three versions, Standard, Deluxe and Gold. And they say:
Please note: Our best price – no vouchers are available for this game.
I'd believe it more if they had said "No vouchers are available or will be available for this game". Just saying.

Also, there is now this statement, which I don't recall seeing before:
Uplay games are now redeemed directly on your Uplay account via Ubisoft Connect. To find out more, please click here.
And going to that page, we see:
Ubisoft Connect - Ubisoft's Automatic Game Redemption Process

Karl - January 15, 2018 12:17

Green Man Gaming has integrated with Ubisoft Connect allowing customers to automatically redeem and add games to their Uplay Account.

Uplay PC keys bought from Green Man Gaming can be added to your Uplay PC library with a click of a button via the order confirmation page and 'Your Purchases’ section on Green Man Gaming as well as through the order confirmation email.

Customers will need to make sure they are logged in to their Uplay account, when prompted, to redeem their game. A history of all redeemed Uplay PC games is available in ‘Your Purchases’ within your Green Man Gaming account.

Uplay PC keys will no longer be provided for Uplay purchases.

Please note that refunds cannot be offered if a Uplay PC key has been allocated to your account. If a redemption button is present in ‘Your Purchases’ within your Green Man Gaming account then your key has already been allocated.
I guess this is to prevent reselling of keys.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres actually a few different version going up in price and they have different statues. I like the guy and the dog one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/10/ ... er-bonuses
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:41 am Theres actually a few different version going up in price and they have different statues. I like the guy and the dog one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/10/ ... er-bonuses
Hmm, I have Amazon Prime and with their 5% cash back Visa card, that knocks the price down to... well, probably better than GMG. But I haven't splurged on a game with statues for such a long time...

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Season Pass Trailer -- Vietnam, Mars, Zombies, and more!

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

US version (we can't see the canadian one):
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm still never buying a season pass up front anymore :hand:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:15 pm US version (we can't see the canadian one)
UK, actually. I can see everything but the US verions of Ubi videos (unless I log in to Youtube, and who has the time to create a Youtube account).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Though the Vietnam and Mars looks neat nothing interests me there.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who care, Green Man Gaming has sent out notices that the game pre-purchase orders are now being fulfilled... damn, it's hard to describe, basically there's something GMG is using called U-Connect. so instead of keys being sent out, I got an email with a link that connected to my Uplay program and redeemed the phantom keys, one for the game, one for the pre-purchase DLC. I went with the basic version. Next activity should be on the 25th when pre-loads are scheduled to occur.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No interest in the DLC content, but can't wait for the game. It didn't really occur to me until someone else said it, but the Far Cry series is one of the very few FPS games I actually play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Preload is actually tonight at 7pm est.

QUESTION:
When does Far Cry 5 release? Can I preload the game?
ANSWER:
Far Cry 5 releases on the 27th of March 2018 - Join the Resistance on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC!

You'll be able to pre-load the game, starting:

PC Uplay
23rd of March, 23:00 UTC

PC Steam
23rd of March, 23:00 UTC

Playstation 4
25th of March at midnight (local time)

Xbox One
25th of March at midnight (local time)

The exact time can vary depending on location and platform.

https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/Faqs/0000 ... Cry-5-FC5/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

soulbringer wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm Preload is actually tonight at 7pm est.
Thanks for the info, I must have been looking at a console info site. By the way, I believe that's 7pm EDT.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm really looking forward to this one. I really loved 4 and I just love the setting that they are using for this one.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this is why no one believes schedules. I just checked my Uplay client and it allowed me to start the pre-load a couple of hours early. Surprisingly it's only 25 GB. Of course the old gamer in me had to laugh when I said "only 25 GB". I'm old enough to remember when we switched from floppies to CDs... actually I'm old enough to remember using audio cassettes for data storage... actually <sigh> I'm old enough to remember using punch cards in my programing class in college.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Bouncing between 600 and 700 mb/s, uplay servers are MUCH faster than Steam.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 pm Well, this is why no one believes schedules. I just checked my Uplay client and it allowed me to start the pre-load a couple of hours early. Surprisingly it's only 25 GB. Of course the old gamer in me had to laugh when I said "only 25 GB". I'm old enough to remember when we switched from floppies to CDs... actually I'm old enough to remember using audio cassettes for data storage... actually <sigh> I'm old enough to remember using punch cards in my programing class in college.
Right there with you, old man. Minus the Far Cry 5 part. :wink:
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So only nine hours until unlock. I'm cautiously excited. I'm cautious because one, while my machine means the minimum specs, it's far from the recommended. I'm not too concerned since previous Ubisoft games I've gotten have been pretty reasonable about supporting lower end machines. Secondly, I've been back playing some Far Cry 3 since I didn't finish all the missions and I'm finding the gameplay not as much fun as I remember, certainly not as interesting as Assassin's Creed: Origins or Watch_Dogs 2. Thirdly, and related to the second one, I'm wondering if I'm getting to that point in my life where a number of game genres just don't seem appealing anymore. I really am off puzzle games, creation games like Besiege and any kind of 2D sidescroller. Well, in a few hours we'll see.

I'm excited because the launch of any AAA Ubisoft title is like the week before the Super Bowl. There are trailers and articles, giveaways, challenges and so much buzz and hype. And I'm a sucker for Uplay's Reward Program where you can spend Upoints earned on previous games to buy outfits, skins and even hardware in the new game. And surprisingly, the reviews embargo was actually lifted the day before release, rather than on release day, which possibility points to a game Ubisoft is happy with.

And of course, whether it's a game in the Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry or even the latest Ghost Recon series, you know it's going to be a big open world with a lot of new things to see, especially if you've done what I have and avoided as many previews as possible. That alone makes it fun for a few hours before you bother to get into the story, unless it's like Assassin's Creed Syndicate where your first few hours were on rails, then it was a big open world.

Well, now I just have to kill nine hours :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've watched someone (theRadBrad) on youtube play a couple hours from the beginning and, after the intro stuff (which looks pretty good), it's pretty damn wide open.... possibly to the point of overwhelming, but we'll see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm it's pretty damn wide open.... possibly to the point of overwhelming, but we'll see.
That's good news to me. When I first started playing Assassin's Creed Origins and unlocked the view of the whole map I was a bit stunned, as it was huge compared to the previous iterations. But after a few dozen hours playing I found I really enjoyed the large size, in contrast to the AC maps of Paris and London that seemed cramped, even though they were quite sizable.

I'd have to say though that the Ubisoft open world map that really impressed me, besides ACO, was Ghost Recon Wildlands. From brushland to jungle to mountains it was immense and yet it felt seamless. Flying from one corner to the diagonal opposite was quite fun, especially if done just above the ground. I'm planning this summer, after our late spring vacation, to replay Wildlands, which isn't something I normally do in these big open world games.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Just got a notification on my phone... I guess I know what I'm doing in a bit.

Enlarge Image
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched it earlier this evening. It makes the way the game opens make a lot more sense.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm I've watched someone (theRadBrad) on youtube play a couple hours from the beginning and, after the intro stuff (which looks pretty good), it's pretty damn wide open.... possibly to the point of overwhelming, but we'll see.
Used to love watch his videos . But for some reason over time I found that not only is he a terrible gamer but his voice annoys me to hell and back and I just cant stand him any longer. But he always covered games I liked.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:45 pm I watched it earlier this evening. It makes the way the game opens make a lot more sense.
Not for me, I never get too much into the story anyway. I spent that half hour watching a YouTube episode of Jay Leno's garage, 1966 Ford Shelby Mustang GT350-H. And now I'm ready for midnight and the inevitable hour wait for the servers to get over their hammering and download whatever needs to be downloaded.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

12:01 and nothing so far... you know as soon as you switch to something else it will unlock :doh:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now starting up... 12 steps to go through... .NET Framework, step 3/12. Now it's happening.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well that was a hell of an opening half hour of gameplay :shock:. The game pre-selected the graphics settings and the game looks pretty good and is running in the upper 30s to full 60 frame rate.

My specs: Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit Home Premium, 480GB SSD main drive, display at 1920x1200.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played for close to an hour with work hounding me as I went. I didn't get very far, but go the unskippable intro cutscenes out of thew way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

According to the Uplay interface it says I've played 2H20M, but it's been an hour more. I think maybe it just has to update.

I'm really enjoying it, but it is early days of course. I've cleared Dutch's Island which is basically a tutorial since you don't get credit for kills and stuff to win challenges to unlock perks. Once on the mainland I managed to get enough perk points to unlock another weapons slot. I like that you can pick and chose which perks to unlock without having to go through a sequence.

I'm intending to enjoy this last AAA title till probably fall, so I'm going slowly. That's not hard since I don't have to really go find trouble, it finds me. I think I accidentally killed one of my potential "buddies" when I was trying to kill a bad guy and got the good guy too. I hope they respawn :roll:.

This really is one of those games up my alley, cars, guns, hunting and helicopters. So far I haven't seen any glitches or bugs. I did think was experiencing the game hanging, but it turned out my internet dropped out and the game finally resumed after a minute.

I tried the Arcade and it was fun, at least for seven minutes and then the server dropped me. I'll try again in a few days.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This looks so fun. Im jealous of you guys. Im keeping my fingers crossed its good.

Is there the normal FC hunter/crafter part to it?

Can you simply fish? As just fish with no goal? Id love to take a break doing that.

Looking forward to reading your stories on having the dog with you and getting into stuff with him.

This thread got me to reinstall Homefront Revolution. If I finish it then Wildlands is up next. Still playing Primal off and on too.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

So far so good. I'm still in the starting island, but they have integrated the squad controls from Ghost Recon in and give you friends you can bring along. They do a pretty good job of maintaining stealth. I've liberated a few people, put some hunting arrows through some cultist heads, and have been having a good time. I'm cautiously pleased.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Man Plans, God Laughs. Old saying, true today. I was all set to spend the day playing FC5, but being diligent I got up on time (9:30a, I am retired :wink:) to take my daily walk. My left knee felt stiff but I figured it would loosen up as I walk. I got to the end of my driveway where it dips down into a little suall, err swuall, ah maybe suell ... dammit, a small gully (someone look that up for me? How do you look up something you don't know how to spell?). Anyway, as I was going down slope there was a pop loud enough to be hear through my earphones and my knee buckled. I was lucky to be able to get back inside. Thankfully I have a cane from my wife's knee surgeries so I'm able to hobble around. So I'm now playing FC5 with my leg elevated under my desk. So not a total lost.

So I'm back playing FC5. Oddly, with all the vehicles in the game, I'm really enjoying going by foot. Also it's weird, usually in Ubisoft games the "saving in progress" indicator is really obvious, in FC5 it's an ellipsis. More later.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:09 am I played for close to an hour with work hounding me as I went. I didn't get very far, but go the unskippable intro cutscenes out of thew way.
I finished up the starter island and was rewarded with another unskippable cutscene. The whole reason I watched the first hour or two of play was so I could spend my limited gaming time in the first couple days on gameplay, not movie time. I hope they change their mind on skippability before I get to the Faith intro. It's about the gameplay guys. Come on.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:27 am Man Plans, God Laughs. Old saying, true today. I was all set to spend the day playing FC5, but being diligent I got up on time (9:30a, I am retired :wink:) to take my daily walk. My left knee felt stiff but I figured it would loosen up as I walk. I got to the end of my driveway where it dips down into a little suall, err swuall, ah maybe suell ... dammit, a small gully (someone look that up for me? How do you look up something you don't know how to spell?). Anyway, as I was going down slope there was a pop loud enough to be hear through my earphones and my knee buckled. I was lucky to be able to get back inside. Thankfully I have a cane from my wife's knee surgeries so I'm able to hobble around. So I'm now playing FC5 with my leg elevated under my desk. So not a total lost.
I think the word you are looking for is "arrow."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Swale.
It's almost as if people are the problem.