Star Trek Bridge Crew

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Punisher

Star Trek Bridge Crew

Post by Punisher »

Couldn't see a topic for this.

Anyone planning on getting this next week? Not sure of my availability, but I am getting this and it would be nice to play with some people here.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Butterknife

Re: Star Trek Bridge Crew

Post by Butterknife »

I'm totally planning on picking this up! This game is going to rock in VR, and it seems perfect for the Vive. Red alert!

On a sidenote, I've been watching Enterprise lately and while it certainly isn't the best Trek, it isn't nearly as bad as I had heard.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Hmm, looks interesting. But I don't have a VR system, and it looks like it requires one? Not really all that interested in spending a lot of money on one (since I find it gimmicky right now), and I just have a non-spiffy android phone. Would one of those google cheap google cardboard things work with this?

And yeah, Enterprise is underrated. It tends to get better later in the show, but I even think the earlier episodes are better than the really weak episodes of TNG or Voyager.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The game requires VR in the form of Occulus Rift, HTC Vive, and Playstation VR.

and I am currently re-watching Enterprise on Netflix. Never had an issue with it and still don't..
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Yeah, then, there's no way I'm buying it for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll watch some lets plays. Oh well. There's always Artemis and the other similar games (Pulsar Lost Colony, etc)

Edit: Looks like it also supports OSVR, too, which is only like $400...
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Never heard of OSVR before. I am using an HTC Vive right now.

Amazon has the OSVR DK2 for $350 it seems..
https://www.amazon.com/OSVR-HDK-Head-mo ... B01HDUVIZ0

That thing looks interesting, but looks like no controllers and you still need a beefy system to use it..
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I picked up the game. Punisher, where are you? I need someone to follow my every order! Here's my Steam profile, add me as a friend.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

OK, the reviews look amazing. I'm going to have to get this. Can we get an OO group to play?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I may be on later. At the airport picking up my parents right now.
Depends on how late I get back, otherwise tomorrow.

I'll add you to steam when I get home though.

Only been able to play a couple of tutorials so far. Still need to finish the rest.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I went through the Engineer tutorial then jumped into a multiplayer game. This game is almost exactly what you would expect it to be -- in a good way! It really feels like you are crewing a starship, and it is very immersive in VR. In fact the only thing that wasn't exactly like the show is how bad my crew sucked at doing ... well ... everything. It was kind of like the third-string crew that Starfleet gave a rousing C+ grade before sending them out to do mail runs suddenly got into something far more than they could handle! And it was amazingly fun!

My favorite part was when our Helmsman was taking us directly into an asteroid, and our Captain was more and more frantically telling him to turn, our Tactical Officer calmly called out "I think our Helm has been replaced by an AI, sir". Captain jumped into the Helmsman seat, steered us around the asteroid and saved our bacon. Coolest thing ever and I am going to have to learn a lot more before I head out again, but I'm really looking forward to my next mission.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Not a huge ST fan but definitely like the concept so I've been watching some streams. One streamer was in a group where two of the guys were just screwing around so he bailed within 5 minutes, but most of the games I watched people were definitely trying to work together. Was funny hearing the players, especially the Captains, stressing out. Two things are holding me back from purchasing right now. I'm not so sure of the longevity of the game unless Ubisoft adds more missions. Switching positions adds to some replay-ability but once you know what's generally going to happen the teams completed missions relatively easily. This is just based on the first few missions so I'm not sure if later missions add more variability to encourage replays. More concerning, MP is kinda of tough for me to commit too and this game seems to be far better as MP. I'll be interested to hear how people compare SP & MP after playing through more missions. One thing I did hear was you need to be Uplay friends to hook up with non-random people, Steam friends is currently not supported for MP. If you guys organize a group it would be great if you could stream it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Butterknife wrote:I picked up the game. Punisher, where are you? I need someone to follow my every order! Here's my Steam profile, add me as a friend.

OK. not playing tonight, but sent a friend invite.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

my steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/punisher1970/

chpunisher on Uplay, if needed.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

DOS=HIGH wrote:Not a huge ST fan but definitely like the concept so I've been watching some streams. One streamer was in a group where two of the guys were just screwing around so he bailed within 5 minutes, but most of the games I watched people were definitely trying to work together. Was funny hearing the players, especially the Captains, stressing out. Two things are holding me back from purchasing right now. I'm not so sure of the longevity of the game unless Ubisoft adds more missions. Switching positions adds to some replay-ability but once you know what's generally going to happen the teams completed missions relatively easily. This is just based on the first few missions so I'm not sure if later missions add more variability to encourage replays. More concerning, MP is kinda of tough for me to commit too and this game seems to be far better as MP. I'll be interested to hear how people compare SP & MP after playing through more missions. One thing I did hear was you need to be Uplay friends to hook up with non-random people, Steam friends is currently not supported for MP. If you guys organize a group it would be great if you could stream it.

i suspect that there will be DLC at some point. In fact i would think they would have to.. I doubt the VR userbase is big enough to make them enough money.
The game does include dynamic missions though, so that does help replayability..
I also suspect that MP is where it's at, but so far, I like the tutorials and will be doing some SP as well.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Finally had a chance to play for a bit last night. Finished the tutorials and soloed the first set of missions. Only rescued 12 people off the Maru...
Then I jumped into MP for a bit... I am dealing with some injuries that limits my play time, but thankfully this game isn't too frantic so it took longer for me to get wrecked from playing.
Play 2 ongoing missions on the Original Enterprise and the 1st chapter of the Campaign. We rescued about 126 from the Maru I think...
Was a lot of fum for the most part, but our captain for one set of missions ended up playing around too much at the end... (Just wanted us to hang out in space to "have fun") My eyes were starting to bother me at that point so I told him we needed to get started since I had to bail soon.. He definitely needs more experience at being a Captain since we failed the mission, but I still had fun.. I do think he was a kid, since that's what he sounded like. Also, I like that it is cross platform and really think it needed to be.. I was the only one on the HTC Vive, the others had PSVR..

Definitely a fun game so far.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

We need streams from OO to watch! :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rip

Post by Rip »

This is the first VR game I actually want to play.

Still not enough to make me want to spend nearly a grand on a VR setup.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Grifman wrote:We need streams from OO to watch! :)

Maybe this Angry Joe preview will fit the bill in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ruckp8-vI0
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I got in and soloed through the training and the first mission. Wow. This game is amazing! I can't wait to do some proper 4 player coop.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Going to need some AARs too!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:This is the first VR game I actually want to play.

Still not enough to make me want to spend nearly a grand on a VR setup.
Make Star Trek Great Again! :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I too want this. :(
He won. Period.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Watched a group on Twitch for a bit last night. The captain must have been a voice actor--or he should be.

He was so over the top over acting and while it wasn't a Shatner impression..he sure captured the spirit of it. Had me laughing out loud.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

so far, my random player groups haven't been too bad. Kind of pleasantly surprised.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Punisher wrote:so far, my random player groups haven't been too bad. Kind of pleasantly surprised.
I suspect that it's a combination of VR still being expensive enough to act as a barrier to much of the usual riff-raff and as Tycho puts it:
Something we’re getting at in the strip is that many, many people globally have all literally trained their whole lives for this. It would be like if there had been a show that ran for hundreds and hundreds of episodes over multiple generations of people where the main characters were a Mid Laner, a Support, a Jungler, and an ADC. I would watch that show. But the archetypes are seared into precisely the type of person who would purchase a game called Star Trek: Bridge Crew. I literally said the lines in the last panel. With my M-Z, or “mouth zone.” And nobody gave me shit about it, because they were on it too. I once saw the Pieta, and was driven to my knees. When in Rome, right? The bridge of a starship exerts a similar quality, it turns out; even a rando who wants to grief feels somehow compelled to contextualize their bullshit appropriately.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I know some of you are really interested in some stories so here is one from one of my sessions (minor spoilers in this story from the prologue mission):

I picked a random game and was put into a group with 3 experienced players. They had all just finished a successful difficult mission. I let them know that it was only my second mission ever, and that I had just completed the tutorials for all of the positions.

So they made me captain.

I did a pretty bad job of getting orders out, but my (experienced) crew did a great job of keeping things going even though I wasn't giving particular orders, reminding me to shift power before doing so and asking me every so often if I wanted to raise the shields, etc. We set off to a space hazard that my objective display indicated we should blow up. I told the helm to bring us in to 20 kilometers and ordered them to fire. Tactical informed me that we would need to get closer, and we approached to 10 kilometers and destroyed the space hazard -- at which point we lost half of our hull! Several shouts of surprise followed and much good-natured teasing of the tactical officer who had insisted that we needed to go closer, including him informing me in no uncertain terms that I was the captain and therefore responsible for the whole mess.

At this point we received an emergency hail. A freighter was in distress and needed immediate evacuation of the crew. The freighter in question -- the Kobiyashi Maru.

Yeah, I've seen Star Trek before so I wasn't exactly happy to get that particular hail. I ordered us to warp to their aid and we approached the freighter, at which point I gave orders to start transporting the crew off of the freighter. Naturally there are several hundred life signs aboard, and we can only transport 6 at a time. After only 12 people have been rescued a Klingon warship decloaks and starts firing at us, at which point I ordered my crew to raise the shields.

Then I ordered the retreat! At this point my crew started laughing their heads off. "Aren't we going to stay and fight, Captain?" "We can take them, Captain!" "Well, I guess he's the boss, I'm bringing the warp coils online now." "Think about the poor people on the ship, Captain!" etc.

As soon as our warp vector was calculated and we were ready for warp, our helm informs me that he is ready as soon as I give the command. "Fine," I say "If you guys really want to fight, let's do it." "What?" "You have got to be kidding me!" "Only after we get ready to warp?" and so on. "Bring us around, full power to the phasers and shields!" I say. You should've seen them scramble! Time to learn my master strategy! Which of course I didn't have. Because of all the time I had wasted getting us ready to flee, two more Klingon ships decloaked and started to put the hurt on us, 3 to 1. After getting thoroughly pummeled I gave the order to retreat, and this time it was followed without question.

During the debriefing I was informed that it was an unwinnable scenario, that this was to test our mettle to see how we would perform during impossible odds, blah blah blah. The other guys I played with were still laughing about me turning tail the moment a Klingon ship appeared, so we had a lot of fun at the end trash talking each other in a good-natured way.

The game is fun. Overall there isn't much to it, I'd say it is maybe 8-10 hours or so worth of content. It doesn't take too long to learn how to handle each of the stations and there aren't that many unique missions. Nonetheless, this is an absolutely great social game and it is really fun to just play with random people, some of which are great, some of which are terrible, and all of which make even a repeated mission a lot of fun. I haven't even bothered with the single player because the multiplayer is so much fun.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I've not made the purchase yet. Is.there a feeling that the community will be around for a while? Sounds like.a.blast multiplayer, but I am.the only.one I know with a VR system. Also, what is the feing.on DLC? It Looks.seems.this is a great candidate for DL missions.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

sgoldj wrote:I've not made the purchase yet. Is.there a feeling that the community will be around for a while? Sounds like.a.blast multiplayer, but I am.the only.one I know with a VR system. Also, what is the feing.on DLC? It Looks.seems.this is a great candidate for DL missions.
Seems to me DLC is a license to print money for them, so I can't see how there won't be some. I'd love to get an OO group to play this as I hate gaming with randos, but I'm not sure how many people have the game.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just noticed that this is 50% off and no longer a VR only game (I thought it was so I was ignoring it)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

IceBear wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:02 pm Just noticed that this is 50% off and no longer a VR only game (I thought it was so I was ignoring it)
That is interesting.. I haven't played it in a bit, but the VR version was brilliant... I am curious as to how this works now though so I might give it a try.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

4 players go crazy in space. Looks nuts. Its cool how they use the old Enterprise stuff.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Intercom: "Damage on decks 3 and 4"
Captain: "It's fine, I didn't like anyone on decks 3 and 4"
I think Kirk said that sometime in season 2 :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

"You're f&*!ing ship is fixed, Captain!"
"Some people say never...I just say no"