Atom RPG - a Fallout inspired overhead post apoc rpg

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Atom RPG - a Fallout inspired overhead post apoc rpg

Post by Daehawk »

I came across this while on YouTube. Seems to be a Fallout inspired game from Russian devs. Its like Fallout 1 and 2 with improved graphics...like I wanted 3 to be.

5 days left on the Kickstarter . They have met their goals but if you want in then there ya go.

Steam page . Says due Feb 2018.

Being played on YouTube.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Re: Atom RPG - a Fallout inspired overhead post apoc rpg

Post by TheMix »

Intrigued. Though I doubt I'll back the KS. I'm pretty much over backing computer games on KS.

But I'll definitely take a look after it becomes available.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Anybody play this? How is it?

I just got a $20 Steam Card that is burning a hole in my Steam Wallet...
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

It's pretty much what most reviews say it is, a Russian version of Fallout 1/2. And overall I'd say it is a worthy successor to them and worth the price for FO fans. Three things I didn't like: Seemed to be much harder in the beginning than FO games. In particular, hard to get good gear/weapons and some very difficult if not impossible random encounters. Secondly, and somewhat related, was the min/max of skills. If you didn't have close to a 100 in a skill it was at times impossible to pass a check on it. Lastly, there's an encounter in the main quest that almost made me quit the game. I think it's too penalizing and you'll know what I'm talking about when you hit it. Supposedly there's a way around it, but it's unlikely you'll do what's necessary to achieve it without knowing in advance. In general, save often and you'll be fine. They recently had a big patch that was suppose to help with some of the gripes about the game but I didn't play that version. I probably will play it again someday.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Agreed with the above comments. I've only played my way into the first town and ran into a problem with my character build right away. I went for a smooth-talking, gun shooter with low melee and strength - but didn't realize I needed strength in order to wield a rifle. Was going to set up another character when I started seeing patches roll in so will also hold off for now. (Distracted with Shadow Tactics at the moment, in any case.)

I don't regret the purchase and look forward to getting back to it shortly.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I enjoyed it but became sidetracked by Pathfinder prior to finishing. Overland travel and the frequent loading screens were likely the culprits although those are also problems in Pathfinder. I lucked into a good starting character (went for maximum APs and speechcraft) but pistols might not be enough near the end of the game and it's pretty clear that pickpocketing (via the circus background) isn't useful beyond the first level or so.I don't think you need to min/max quite as much as some people suggest but you can't spread things thin.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Thanks for the impressions. Now I've gotta decide if I'm gonna just go for it or wait for the Spring Sale.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It is now $15 on GoG. Any recent impressions?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really want to try it as it looks to recreate the old original Fallout 1 & 2 feel and look.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I tried playing Fallout 2 last year. After 2-3 hours I found it was just too retro for me. Same for Fallout Tactics.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I took the plunge and like it so far. One of my biggest disappointments with F1 was that I bought the highest end system available at the time and the graphics still looked like ass. If they did a remake with this engine I would buy it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, I already managed to bork much of the main story line (slight spoilers):
In the first town they complain about a group of bandits that are harassing their town. So I took it upon myself to find the bandit camp and pick them all off one by one. I figured I would be hailed as a conquering hero. Nope. It turns out I was supposed to side with the bandits for major quest lines.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:50 pm LOL, I already managed to bork much of the main story line (slight spoilers):
In the first town they complain about a group of bandits that are harassing their town. So I took it upon myself to find the bandit camp and pick them all off one by one. I figured I would be hailed as a conquering hero. Nope. It turns out I was supposed to side with the bandits for major quest lines.
Well that doesnt make sense at all.
I just bought the game and if I have to worry about stuff like that I may be returning it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I started over and focused on finding companions instead. Three were pretty easy to get, however:
Spoiler:
To get Alexander you have to spend a fortune to upgrade your house, and there is nowhere near enough legit gold, so I did a money cheat.
As for the bandits:
Spoiler:
After doing some missions for the boss you get an option to side against him with the workers.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanks for mentioning that Jaymann. I thought I remembered working for the bandits was just a ruse to get inside and figured out if there was a way to stop them but it's been a couple of years since I played.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The first town you come to in Fallout had a similar quest to rescue Tandy the mayor's kidnapped daughter. The local bandits harassed the town and kidnapped her too. You can go to their camp and go in guns blazing or if you had looked good and found the one armed leather jacket you could go in pretending to be a bandit and make your way to the bandit leader without a fight and negotiate her release.