So, Bioshock...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: So, Bioshock...

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ive installed the remastered version of the first Bioshock. Ill give it a fair go and see how much fun I have or if I have any.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pretty sure that the total benefits are higher/larger being nice. The difference is that they come later. So playing evil will get you stuff sooner, but in the end you will have less.

.... aaaannnndddd, nope, I'm partially wrong. You will get more ADAM from harvesting. However, you get other stuff, including unique tonics and a unique plasmid from saving them.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh for fucks sake. Ive played this game both good and bad before. This is like my 4th or 5th time playing. I planned to be bad and kill the little sisters and have more adam to work with. I usually play good and get by but never have enough adam. Here I am at the first little sister and I just cant do it. Its just a game. I know that. My wife is telling me that. But the little sister is there crying and crawling away from me and Im not able to do it. WTF. I may just quit here. Whats wrong with me. A good heart ya but this is too much. Its a game. Damn the devs.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I've never been able to harvest the little sisters. In fact I always found the supposed "moral dilemma" to be the most overrated aspect of Bioshock. It's not even a difficult decision since the idea of killing a little girl seems abhorrent, and they pretty much make it clear that you'll probably be better off in the long run not doing it. I think the biggest problems with most games that flirt with moral ambiguity is that taking the evil/lethal path vs the good/non-lethal path (often)saddles you with a "worse" ending. If a game really wants to challenge players on their moral choices, they should have the "evil" choice lead to a better ending.

One other funny (to me) note on Bioshock is when it released, while I still enjoyed it I was so disappointed in that it wasn't a real System Shock sequel that it was sort of teased to be. But now, I have to admit that modern day JCC would rather play Bioshock than System Shock 2. While I bemoaned the "dumbing down" of Bioshock it looks like I have also been "dumbed down". :)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's the video game equivalent of the Stanford marshmallow experiment:
The Stanford marshmallow experiment was a series of studies on delayed gratification in the late 1960s and early 1970s led by psychologist Walter Mischel, then a professor at Stanford University. In these studies, a child was offered a choice between one small reward provided immediately or two small rewards if they waited for a short period, approximately 15 minutes, during which the tester left the room and then returned.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im just not having any fun with it. 70% of my games piss me off and the other 30% I feel like Im just going through motions. Pushing buttons pulling levers. Boring. No feel to it .And I loved Bioshock when it came out . I think my medicine has really f'd up my brain.