Railway Empire - (transport mogul) - Kalypso Media

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

KDH

Railway Empire - (transport mogul) - Kalypso Media

Post by KDH »

:wub: ... Image
Kalypso Media and Gaming Minds Studios have today released a new gameplay trailer for their upcoming tycoon simulation game Railway Empire which is scheduled for release in Q1 2018 for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC and Linux. Starting in 1830’s America players will enter the golden age of steam where they must expand their business from coast to coast across 100 years of booming industry by out-thinking and outmaneuvering their rivals, researching innovative new technologies and expanding their network across a huge gaming world. The new trailer showcases some of the key gameplay features available to players as they journey through the United States steam industrial revolution building and managing their very own rail company.
STEAM announcement
Ain't nobody got time for that
Cortilian

Re: Railway Empire - (transport mogul) - Kalypso Media

Post by Cortilian »

Very interested in this.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I like the way they're laying track routes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
KDH

Post by KDH »

dbt1949 wrote:I like the way they're laying track routes.

I agree .. Train Fever was a bit aggravating in that regard
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's Kalypso -I'll wait and see what the finished product is like before getting excited.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:It's Kalypso -I'll wait and see what the finished product is like before getting excited.
Yeah, I'm a bit dubious too. I got Transport Fever when it came out and I'd like to see what Kalypso is going to add to their game to make it stand out.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

jztemple2 wrote:
tgb wrote:It's Kalypso -I'll wait and see what the finished product is like before getting excited.
Yeah, I'm a bit dubious too. I got Transport Fever when it came out and I'd like to see what Kalypso is going to add to their game to make it stand out.
I suggest trying a demo of Railway Empire before buying it. The last few games I have purchased from Kalypso left me feeilng very disappointed.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Greybriar wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
I suggest trying a demo of Railway Empire before buying it. The last few games I have purchased from Kalypso left me feeilng very disappointed.

Sorta this. Their games often feel incomplete. So they are a proceed with caution company. Like they run with an idea until they get bored or think they can make enough money off of proof of concept to move on to the next game. I bought (and paid too much for) Grand Ages Medieval recently because I had an itch. I'm still playing it but the experience is quickly becoming a very simple mode of a the strategic level of city building in a 4x without anything else.

This looks another itch to scratch that will cost $30 because I don't wait for a sale and get a weeks play before I see the game isn't done to what I like. I hope I'm wrong. I love a good railroad game and have been waiting a long time for the next thing after RRTII.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:I love a good railroad game and have been waiting a long time for the next thing after RRTII.
This.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Greybriar wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
Kalypso is the new JoWooD Entertainment. Their games always looked so exciting but were rife with bugs or turned out to be overly simplistic.
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote:
Kalypso is the new JoWooD Entertainment.
So true.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

baelthazar wrote:
Greybriar wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
Kalypso is the new JoWooD Entertainment. Their games always looked so exciting but were rife with bugs or turned out to be overly simplistic.
Ah, that puts it context I can identify with. So most likely it's a wait and see and don't bother.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I always liked JoWood games. Not familiar with Kalypso.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

shooting from the hip:
Kalypso is massively opportunistic these days on promoting what ever they have acquired - they aren't an automatic 'miss'. So - no comment yet. To me they are a bank that supports soon to be released games.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote:I always liked JoWood games. Not familiar with Kalypso.
The one thing you (the customer) want from a publisher is to exert some measure of quality control. JoWood did not do this, therefore all of their games were hit-or-miss and as a brand, they were one to be wary of to be sure. Leaving QC completely in the hands of the developers is like leaving the wolf in charge of the chicken coop -- they are looking for their big payday, the sooner the better as far as they are concerned. It's far easier for a development house to dissolve and reform should they become encumbered by a shitty reputation.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay. But all the games I bought worked out well.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
KDH

Post by KDH »

:ugeek: ... Image .. Railway Empire - How to play .. (3:40m)

some blah-blah-blah
Kalypso Media is excited to release the new ‘How to Play’ trailer for upcoming tycoon simulation game Railway Empire, which is currently planned to launch in Q1 2018 for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Windows PC and Linux. In Railway Empire, you get the opportunity to go on a 100-year journey starting in 1830, with an entire nation’s terrain yours for the taking! Check out the insightful new trailer to get some hot tips on how to win the race to become the most dominant and powerful rail empire in North America.

In just a few minutes, the new trailer will give you a brief but detailed overview of Railway Empire, showing concepts like planning routes, hiring staff, researching over 300 new technologies and choosing between over 40 historically detailed trains. These first steps will get you on the way to taking on your competition, who you may eventually have to sabotage with a raid or some good old-fashioned industrial espionage. Lead an epic empire into the 20th century and show your rivals who the real railway tycoon is!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That has me cautiously optimistic - it has all of the features I'd like in a train game.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The looks great. Of course, so did the previews for Grand Ages Medieval and Omerta.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: it has all of the features I'd like in a train game.
+1
Rip

Post by Rip »

“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just wish it was about $15-$20 cheaper.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not sure. I don't buy betas anymore. I don't buy betas anymore. I don't buy betas anymore.

But if the OO effect starts calling I could see being satisfied paying $42 for the right spiritual successor to RRTII with all of the bells and whistles.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:21 pm Just wish it was about $15-$20 cheaper.
If it ends up being a high quality RRT like game, I'd be happy to pay $60 for it. It's been a long time since there's been a good competitive train sim.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

From what I have read, if you grab it now you get to play beta. As this is a preorder and not early access, you could play for any number of hours and request a Steam refund before official release. So if it is terrible, you can get out.

I may pick it up. The buzz on the Steam forums seems generally positive except the price.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah. I decided it was worth a try, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I've only played through the opening scenario, but it's got a nice mix of rail building, economic planning and micromanagement of your rail empire. The campaign starts you out with a tutorial, then gives you goals to meet within a timeline. Some goals are required, others are optional but will give you a better score.

Obviously this is quite preliminary and I need to give it some more time, but I'm pretty happy so far. This feels to me like a modern incarnation of RailRoad Tycoon, and that's pretty high praise from me.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Where can you buy it now?
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Lorini wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 am Where can you buy it now?
Steam. But I'll be waiting for a sale.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 am ....Obviously this is quite preliminary and I need to give it some more time, but I'm pretty happy so far. This feels to me like a modern incarnation of RailRoad Tycoon, and that's pretty high praise from me.
It was with the hope that Railway Empire would end up becoming a true successor to Railroad Tycoon that I purchased the former and agreed to be a beta tester. It isn't there yet and the only way I think it will get there is if enough gamers take the plunge, become beta testers, and persuade the developers to make the changes that need to be made to make it a true successor to Railroad Tycoon.

Until January 26th, Railway Empire is 15% off at Steam.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Greybriar wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:21 am
gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 am ....Obviously this is quite preliminary and I need to give it some more time, but I'm pretty happy so far. This feels to me like a modern incarnation of RailRoad Tycoon, and that's pretty high praise from me.
It was with the hope that Railway Empire would end up becoming a true successor to Railroad Tycoon that I purchased the former and agreed to be a beta tester. It isn't there yet and the only way I think it will get there is if enough gamers take the plunge, become beta testers, and persuade the developers to make the changes that need to be made to make it a true successor to Railroad Tycoon.

Until January 26th, Railway Empire is 15% off at Steam.
I want to believe that's true, but history has shown me this betas are only for error proofing and I don't have high hopes for Kalypso proving otherwise.
As this is a preorder and not early access, you could play for any number of hours and request a Steam refund before official release
How true is this?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Then maybe.... I'm not a fan of returning games. I've only returned one so far since this became an options, but there are a few other betas (I'm looking at you, clockwork empires) where if the game was a preorder, I'd have returned it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Played for half an hour, not for me, especially at that price.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm Played for half an hour, not for me, especially at that price.
What were the flaws? What makes it different from RR Tycoon?

I almost bought it yesterday, but the price scared me off.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm Played for half an hour, not for me, especially at that price.
What were the flaws? What makes it different from RR Tycoon?

I almost bought it yesterday, but the price scared me off.
Compared to other cheaper options, the UI was not good, I didn't really see any value (at least to me, I'm not a campaign person) in the game that would cause me to want to pay that much for it. I already own Mashinky, OTTD, and Transport Fever and I couldn't see why I'd pay preemo for Railway Empire. Mashinky's graphics are as good as Railway Empire as well. While it has AI players that's not enough for me to fork out that much cash.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 pm Compared to other cheaper options, the UI was not good, I didn't really see any value (at least to me, I'm not a campaign person) in the game that would cause me to want to pay that much for it. I already own Mashinky, OTTD, and Transport Fever and I couldn't see why I'd pay preemo for Railway Empire. Mashinky's graphics are as good as Railway Empire as well. While it has AI players that's not enough for me to fork out that much cash.
I have Transport Fever but never found it that engaging. Did you see anything in Railway Empire that seemed to improve on the Transport Fever concept?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

Lorini wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Compared to other cheaper options, the UI was not good, I didn't really see any value (at least to me, I'm not a campaign person) in the game that would cause me to want to pay that much for it. I already own Mashinky, OTTD, and Transport Fever and I couldn't see why I'd pay preemo for Railway Empire. Mashinky's graphics are as good as Railway Empire as well. While it has AI players that's not enough for me to fork out that much cash.
I have Mashinky on my wishlist. Given the state it's in today is it worth getting now, or am I better off waiting?
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

If you want to know more about Railway Empire, watch YouTube videos of it made by Skye Storme. He is not bound by beta limitations and has access to more game features than beta testers do.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Greybriar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 am If you want to know more about Railway Empire, watch YouTube videos of it made by Skye Storme. He is not bound by beta limitations and has access to more game features than beta testers do.
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.

I skimmed through the video just to get a feel of it and I heard him say "Remember this is a not a track laying game. It is a tycoon game, not a simulator". I always did suck at getting my switches right.

I have two issues with a lot of these railway or transportation empire building games. One is that sometimes I feel like I'm being forced to build a certain way because of limitations of the sandbox map; there aren't enough options on where to build. The other is that the technology progression happens too fast. I don't get to play with equipment of a certain era before I'm forced to upgrade to remain competitive.

Regarding the price, well, it's hard to beat OpenTTD which is free and a lot of fun, once you get over the graphics. So I'll be watching Railway Empire to see if it's worth the price at release.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 pm Compared to other cheaper options, the UI was not good, I didn't really see any value (at least to me, I'm not a campaign person) in the game that would cause me to want to pay that much for it. I already own Mashinky, OTTD, and Transport Fever and I couldn't see why I'd pay preemo for Railway Empire. Mashinky's graphics are as good as Railway Empire as well. While it has AI players that's not enough for me to fork out that much cash.
I have Transport Fever but never found it that engaging. Did you see anything in Railway Empire that seemed to improve on the Transport Fever concept?
The graphics in Railway Empire are far better than in Transport Fever. There are AI players in RE that are not in TF. You can deliver to a spot instead of an entire chain like you have to do in TF. RE has a full campaign, TF's campaign is a tutorial. But the game play seemed much more like Sid Meir's Railroad game than a full 'real' railroad game. Mashinky is a board game in a video game and uses abstract concepts to make its points, but it has great graphics and full gameplay. I still think it has the best chance to be the railway game I'm looking for when I want a moderately challenging railroad game. If you want the most challenging railroad game get ATrain PC Classic. It's expensive but it's also by far the most extensive railway game that I know of that's available now. They also paid for the licenses for the real Japanese trains thus the cost, but the fans of the series wouldn't accept any less. There's schedules and routes and cargoes and demand and everything. I only tackle it when I'm feeling really really energized because it's a bear.