Railway Empire - (transport mogul) - Kalypso Media

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Railway Empire - (transport mogul) - Kalypso Media

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 pm I have Transport Fever but never found it that engaging. Did you see anything in Railway Empire that seemed to improve on the Transport Fever concept?
The graphics in Railway Empire are far better than in Transport Fever.... <snip>
Thanks for your very detailed assessment. I think I might like RE, but I'll wait for some initial assessments of the released version.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lorini wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm If you want the most challenging railroad game get ATrain PC Classic. It's expensive but it's also by far the most extensive railway game that I know of that's available now. They also paid for the licenses for the real Japanese trains thus the cost, but the fans of the series wouldn't accept any less. There's schedules and routes and cargoes and demand and everything. I only tackle it when I'm feeling really really energized because it's a bear.
Wait... how does this one relate to A-Train 9? Is this a re-release of an old game or a new game in a retro style? A quick look says it is based on a DS game but not actually the DS game? I have A-Train 9 V4, but it always feels sparse to me.

I am sorely tempted by this one, but can wait. I also hate to use the beta as a paid demo, but I am not above doing that. I enjoyed Sid Meier's Railroads, so that is not a detraction for me. That said, I would prefer something along the line of RRT 2 and 3.

Mashinky has my interest, but it seems to have been in development for a while?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I picked up Machinsky since it was 1/2 the cost of RE and initial impressions are that it's an updated Transport Tycoon using only trains. Initial impressions are good except the terrain interface is bad. It's hard to see gradients and it makes it a bit worse because the tracks need multiple squares to turn. The track laying puts a white mess over the terrain at times and I don't know what it is indicating. I believe it's some terrain smoothing, but sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm going to have some more time to mess around with it over the next 10 days, so I'll report back then.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 pm
Lorini wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm If you want the most challenging railroad game get ATrain PC Classic. It's expensive but it's also by far the most extensive railway game that I know of that's available now. They also paid for the licenses for the real Japanese trains thus the cost, but the fans of the series wouldn't accept any less. There's schedules and routes and cargoes and demand and everything. I only tackle it when I'm feeling really really energized because it's a bear.
Wait... how does this one relate to A-Train 9? Is this a re-release of an old game or a new game in a retro style? A quick look says it is based on a DS game but not actually the DS game? I have A-Train 9 V4, but it always feels sparse to me.
It's an improved version of the DS game, as it includes a game editor.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I ended up buying this game after watching the lets play video that was linked here in page 1. It's exactly what I wanted. Had a lot of fun last night. Had some difficulty understanding the signals but I understand now.

I do have an issue with trains using the same rail line even though i have two rail lines going to both stations.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 pm I ended up buying this game after watching the lets play video that was linked here in page 1. It's exactly what I wanted. Had a lot of fun last night. Had some difficulty understanding the signals but I understand now.

I do have an issue with trains using the same rail line even though i have two rail lines going to both stations.
I think the key to that is signals. If you put up the alternate signal type that blocks travel in a certain direction it should force trains to use different tracks depending on direction of travel, at least in theory.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Figured it out. thanks

Finished the two campaigns, was disappointed that it was locked down, and disappointed it only has 5 campaigns. Wish I did some more research before buying. The game is incredibly fun, but if it's 5 campaigns, gonna get a bit boring. Not really interested in the free mode.

Also, it seems really easy to beat the AI.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's a pre-order, you can refund it.
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

Enlarge Image

:D
Ain't nobody got time for that
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Mashinky is so so much better. I'm really enjoying it.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Does Mashinsky have competing empires and markets and such? I couldn't tell from the Steam page.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

AFAIK, it does not. Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a write up of it a few days ago. It was fully of praise, but did note it was more of a transport sandbox (like Transport Tycoon) and not a competitive game against AI companies.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah. I bought RE for the third time because a friend was playing it. Basically think of Sid Meier's Railroads upgraded and you have RE. Think of a better ui'd, better looking OTTD and you have Mashinky.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 am Yeah. I bought RE for the third time because a friend was playing it. Basically think of Sid Meier's Railroads upgraded and you have RE.
This faint praise isn't helping my interest. I do generally like railroad games, but I'm still waiting for someone to at least come close to the RRT2 experience. For different reasons, I also liked 1830 and Rails Across America.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Some say RE is like RR2, but it's been too long since I played RR2 for me to assert that. Hopefully someone else can help.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:11 pm I also liked 1830 and Rails Across America.
You liked something? Excellent choices, btw.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Lorini wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 am ....Basically think of Sid Meier's Railroads upgraded and you have RE....
Well, they both have railroad tracks and train stations, but there the resemblance ends. RE is unique in too many ways, and several of them I don't like. I sincerely wish Railway Empire was more like the original Railroad Tycoon.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
tgb

Post by tgb »

What are the elements you dislike?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

tgb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 pm What are the elements you dislike?
Wait until after the game is released and I will let you know. As a beta tester, I wouldn't want to take a chance on violating the non-disclosure terms.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Greybriar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:11 pm
Wait until after the game is released and I will let you know. As a beta tester, I wouldn't want to take a chance on violating the non-disclosure terms.
As of December 5, they lifted the NDA (http://steamcommunity.com/app/503940/di ... 712123057/).

I have only played about an hour or so, thus my impressions are a little perfunctory. From what I see, the game is a lot like SM Railroads, particularly with the semi-cartoonish graphics and the "placing a station moves the buildings in town" style of building. That said, the game does allow and require signals and alternative paths, unless you want your trains to get stuck as ride the same track. So this reminds me more of RRT3. It has the same sort of economy as SM Railroads, where you get certain things needed by cities and as they get those they grow and open more buildings with new demands. More businesses open up and it seems like you can buy or invest in those to make more profits (again, like SMRRs). At least in the first mission, I was not able to buy all the businesses with little effort, as I often did in SMRR (I remember basically putting up every business I wanted for auction and grabbing them for hardly anything). I am not seeing a lot of innovation from SMRR, perhaps a bit more stability, some more sophistication in the goods and economy, and better track laying and signal requirements.

There are a few things I am not sure how I feel about. The first is the tech tree. I need more time with it to be able to tell how it works. It allows for more locomotives, passive bonuses, and different buildings or extra cars that add bonuses to a load. The system seems fine, but the tech progression also went a little fast near the beginning (I was replacing engines faster than I thought was realistic). The route builder could also be a little less "fiddly." It is not bad, but it either takes a few too many clicks or requires you to micromanage the initial set up a bit more than I like. It reminds me of the Patrician series (or Merchant of Venice) where you had to set up your trade routes (and it was always a bit unclear). That said, SMRR and RRT3 was the same way.

I have not seen the espionage or stock market. So I can't comment on those.

I liked my first hour or so, but my move has prevented me from playing again. I likely will also buy Mashinky, but I worry that one will never fully release.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The same people that did Patrician is doing this game, which is why you got that feeling :). Only the first two chapters are available in the beta. I played through them, and the game did finally grow on me (a friend was raving about the game so I bought it a THIRD time but there's a lot about it that's clunky like you said the track laying in particular.

I like Mashinky better but I think that's because I'm an OTTD fan, and Mashinky is like an upgrade to that game.
Black Lives Matter
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm As of December 5, they lifted the NDA (http://steamcommunity.com/app/503940/di ... 712123057/)....
Oops! I either forgot about that or never read it. :oops:
To begin with, I prefer the way Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon (and its successors) handle buildings--they are inside the railroad station and don't take up any room on the map.

Space on the map is at such a premium that some cities were left off the maps because there wasn't enough room for them. So say goodbye to your dream of building a Transcontinental Railroad across the United States...at least for now.

One of the new concepts RE has introduced is that of warehouses. Trains gather things and drop them off in a warehouse where other trains can pick them up and take them somewhere where there is a demand for them. I've had mixed luck with the concept; it can and does work well to a point but it also adds to the map clutter.

The signals in RE are unlike those in the Railroad Tycoon games. It is my understanding that since the trains in Railway Empire are programmed to take the shortest routes, if you have more than one train on a track, you are forced into using signals and sidings. I got around that by building a track for each train--but that really doesn't fix the problem as one can't haul much freight or many passengers and mail with but a single train. So let's hope the developers come up with something.

A player can do much in Railway Empire if s/he can figure out the way to do it. Here are a couple of posts from the beta forum to give you an idea of what I'm writing about:
Outlaw Trucker wrote:
Doc Savage wrote:
Also, when you run trains to NY, go into the consist editor (where the four platforms and all the available cargo is shown) and click on the Dresses so they have a Green Arrow. That tells any train headed to NY to take Dresses above all else first, then fill in the rest of the train. It isn't uncommon to see 8 cars of dresses on the line.
I'm pretty much a noob but I can't seem to find the consist editor you speak of. How do I access it?
Doc Savage wrote:It's buried, because it's important...

Click a track, then a train on the right.
Then click the map icon on the left in the top of the bubble, it's the 2nd one.
Then click one of the stations on the right... Here you need to click on NYC.
THEN you'll get the menu that matters.

You should see 4 platforms on top of the bubble, and the freight along the middle.

From this bubble you can tell a train to use a specific platform and in this case you can click the Dresses to make them a priority.

Cheers..!
I suppose after a while one could learn where all the little ins and outs are hidden away at. But I just don't have the patience. I want a USER FRIENDLY interface and not one I have to dig around in to find things.

At first glance, building tracks appears practically effortless. The process reminds me of the way it's done in Sid Meier's Railroads!. You stretch a length of track from one point to another, are given an opportunity to adjust it, and then hit the button to confirm. It's a lot faster and easier than in other railroad games I have played. But getting the line just right can really be a problem. On rough terrain I've clicked the wastebasket to get rid of a stretch of track that was giving me fits more frequently than I've hit the confirm button.

There is a limit of three industries in each city as well as one slot for an attraction. One would expect the starting industry in a town or small city to be one that has raw materials nearby. Not so! For example, since beer is in demand in most starting towns/cities, a brewery will often appear and there will be no grain anywhere close. But there will usually be some type of raw material nearby that has to be hauled partway across the map to another town/city. I really, really believe this should be changed and starting industries should be appropriate for nearby raw materials.

In most railroad simulation games I have played, there is a "Go To" button the player can use to find a city on the map. None exists in Railway Empire. I very strongly feel there SHOULD be a similar button in RE.

Similarly, a player can hop from one train to another using an arrow button in the RE interface. But there isn't a similar button to hop from one station to another. I feel there should be. This feature has been implemented.

I have no problem with seeing cartoony looking AI characters. Their appearance on some of the game screens doesn't bother me at all.

Furthermore, I don't really mind what evils the AI characters do. They seem to think causing me trouble is to hire one of my employees, steal an invention from me, or get a newspaper to print something unflattering about me. That's more petty than anything. Now if they would attempt to take over my railroad company by buying up my stock or hire saboteurs to blow up my railroad bridges, that would be more likely to get my attention.

Railway Empire has the potential to be a true "spiritual successor" to the original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon that I played in 1990 (and still play occasionally). It is with that hope that I purchased RE and became one of its beta testers. May it succeed!
Last edited by Greybriar on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I totally agree about the consist editor thing and the track laying. Both of these were examples of where the UI looked simple but turned out to need more fiddling or clicks than needed.

From reading what you posted, it made me realize that there wasn't a way to interlocking signals or railway switches like the old RRT 2/3. At least not that I saw.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So this released today. Anyone have initial impressions on the released version? I looked at the Steam Workshop for the game and didn't see any files, is that coming later?

I'm not yet motivated to give the game a look, especially since they didn't provide the usual 10% for the first week discount :ninja:. So I'm reinstalling Transport Fever to try to remember why I only gave that game fourteen hours before giving up on it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Watched some of the Quill shilling for the game today. The railroad part of the game looks good. Not as epic as connecting the US but still pretty good. The competitor aspect looked pretty bad though. And that make me sad. Market manipulations and shell companies and moving wealth back and forth from a personal ledger to a company ledger is integral part of the fun in RRT (and 1830 and...) for me and the sorts of things I like railroad board games as well. I'd take the plunge but the price tag with doesn't look like it jives with the competitive play. But who knows the bug may bite me.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

This video might give a better perspective.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Greybriar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm This video might give a better perspective.
Thanks, that video does help me understand the game better. It's interesting that the presenter has an issue (abet minor) with how quickly building occurs. For instance, you plan out a section of track, click and boom it's all laid. I guess it could be more like Prison Architect where after a blueprint is added to the map your workers have to get resources and actually build up the room or whatever, piece by piece. I guess RE could have had that, but then there would have to be a new set of graphics for in-progress building and that would have added to the development time and cost of the game. Anyway, I'm fine with the way it looks.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

They could have added an animation at least. My biggest issue is the track laying and the station limitations. But I have enjoyed it more since playing for 10 hours now.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Broke down and spend the money. Not sure why.

8 Gigs on my Internet means I won't actually be playing before bed either.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:55 pm Broke down and spend the money. Not sure why....
The reason I pre-ordered Railway Empire and have not requested a refund since is that I really enjoy playing railroad sims. It began with Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon and I have purchased nearly every railroad sim since.

I can't say with any certainty that Railway Empire is the best railroad sim out there, and it has some shortcomings I won't go into here (I will leave it to you to find them, if you can), but it is an attractive game that I have gotten a number of hours of entertainment from. I hope you will get as much enjoyment from it as I have.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not sure how I think of it as railroad/tycoon game but it is a really good resource management sim so far.

The biggest wart of the game for me so far is managing your staff. There are some other smaller warts but managing the staff is already tedious and nearly constant and the UI make it even worse, there is no easy way to see what your staff is on each train not to mention on the same screen that should the ability to see affinities and what the train is doing. So you have to hire someone, then open the route selection dialog on the left and then click on the train you want and then click on manage the train and then hope your people get along well otherwise you have start shuffling bit by bit without being able to see affinities ahead of time and heaven forbid you want to optimize (which I don't even bother)

It's a damned big complaint but it's really the only big complaint.

Maybe you know something about the UI that I don't? Some obvious piece I'm missing? I hope. Please.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

My biggest complaint about the UI (as I mentioned a few posts up) is that I can't find things when I need to.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There are things I really like about the UI. I like the way you lay tracks. I like when you zoom out far enough the onscreen entities become colored Icons to make them easy to find. I like how you check track directions vividly (though I dislike again how I have to go into buildings and then pretend to be laying signals to make it pop up)

The UI overhaul would just need to make everything more two clicks to get where you need to be. For instance, I accidentally stumbled on the fact that there are two tech trees.

I also hope they eventually provide options to span multiple timeframes. It would be nice to not feel as pressed for time.

I like how everything is big and colorful. That helps my aging eyes relax. :o

But the thing they have to fix is your interaction with staff. I'm excited to play through the campaign and scenarios and play around with free play and learning to set up successful complex switching in to large stations, but I dread staffing my gazillion trains.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Was having a hard time figuring out my start for campaign scenario three last night and false started a few times.

Do excess good pick up from one city and move to another on automated or is that something you need to go in manually set and fiddle with? Looking forward to not being at work and being at home playing...

In a related note, in my false starts, storing cotton in the warehouse wasn't an option. Is there a reason for that?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The timeline set in the 3rd campaign map is surprisingly challenging. I'm likely to false start again this weekend. I'm waiting for a good wiki on this. I need a "who like and who hates who" at a glance. I'm getting better about building train staff, but I'm a long way off from not disliking the dynamic.

I'm thankful Greyrair showed me how to tell trains to go to specific tracks. You'd think a large station would be good enough to set switches to tell a train which track to use. Nope. They will all always go the one closest to boarding platform that they can get if you don't specify.

I was under the impression that trains pick up the most needed good. That does not appear to be the case. I couldn't get any of four trains routing to and from a warehouse to pick up fruit without reserving a spot for fruit. That sucked. I still don't understand why a warehouse doesn't take goods like cotton.

Protip, when you build a large station, make 4 parallel line going out about three full train lengths before allowing a bend. That way you can build all your switches easily instead of making crazy loops trying to get trains to switch for one track to another.

I am adapting the to their scaled back investment/stock/economy structure. I'm not thrilled that you can't protect yourself against hostile takeover beyond hostily taking over the business trying to take you over.

Anyhoo, I'm still not positive I should have spend $50 on the game but it is holding my attention and begging me to think about it when I am not playing. So I'm still in, which is good because I'm well past the point of return...

Aside from UI improvements my biggest hope is the DLC eventually allow you to span eras. I like epic games.

Edit: Green man gaming google advertising says you can get 22% off with code Howdumissthese‎ through the 9th. I think that brings the price to around $40 from $50.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Finished the third campaign scenario after a lot of poor starts. I thought I kicked its ass. The game rating at the end said I was almost wasn't an embarrassment.

I finally figured out a good method for trafficing large stations and I'm thankful for learning how to send specific trains to specific station tracks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For anyone else playing two questions:

1) Do you ever put more than one station in a city? Does it really get you any advantage?

2) With no wiki out there, I'm wondering if this is the most efficient track laying laying

v^V^
Watertower

I\I I/I
I I\I I
I I/I I
I I \I I
I/I I\I

I'm wondering if I should make more split/connections to the can be unidirectional for less back up, only this scheme is already 7 track laying spaces long in six of which need to be parallel tracks and that's a good deal of length coming out of a city.

I'm still on campaign map IV, the civil war but it's still holding my attention.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I have a more efficient track system to test if I have time today. Essentially rather than starting with driving (outbound) on the right, I start with an inbound on the right from a feeder line. I keep two rails from main station to main station and then can switch in more easily.

^ v ^ v
\ I I /
I I I I
Watertower
I\I I/I
I I/I I
I I\I I
I/I I\I

And while none of you care, this will be a valuable note for me when I get home and hopefully will help me be better organized to transport people from Louisville to Atlanta in a timely fashion. :ninja:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm And while none of you care, this will be a valuable note for me when I get home and hopefully will help me be better organized to transport people from Louisville to Atlanta in a timely fashion. :ninja:
I care :clap:. I love these geeky track laying games, although I'd probably only get it if there is a decent sandbox mode so I can just build my railway empire peacefully. I put a lot of hours into OpenTTD but the railway component of it is my favorite.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

There is both a free mode (with tasks) and a sandbox mode (without money to worry about or tasks). I play free mode but I should probably go back to the campaign.
Black Lives Matter