Steam Summer Sale 2017

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: Steam Summer Sale 2017

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: Long Journey Home/Shadow Tactics/Skykill $40 (58% off)

So I went for it. I played a little Shadow Tactics and a little Long Journey Home.

Shadow Tactics is fun. I'm not wild about the control scheme, but I can get used to it.

Long Journey Home, OTOH, has horrible, horrible controls. It took me about 50 tries to manage to orbit a planet.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My first Steam refund. For .98! :D

Cthulhu Saves The World

Picked it up based on that Reddit list someone so kindly posted above.

Just....no. And yes, I get that it's a love letter written to 8 bit JRPG's, but those are not my thing at all. So many better, retro, re-done vintage titles from that era IMO.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. Was doing my daily queue traverse when it popped up Penumbra for a buck sixtyfour. I bought it. First purchase for me.

edit: Bought Domina.

edit: All the DLC for Doom is multiplayer content seems like, so I put the base game in my basket. Will pull the trigger later. Probably.

edit: And I just learned that you get 1 card per queue, up to 3 per day. I saw Smoove mention this earlier but I didn't realize what he meant. Up until now I've just be gathering my 3 sticker books (and 1 card, per day). Oh well.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

could i get a City Park card from someone? steam name is 'battlefinch'
KDH

Post by KDH »

I'm trying to do that .. but I've never done it before .. if you get a strange friend invite .. that's me
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I sent him a free trade for it hours ago. Dont think he is up yet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KDH

Post by KDH »

OK .. thnkx
Ain't nobody got time for that
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I ended up buying Far Cry 4 Gold and Pathfinder Adventures.

The latter was an impulse buy, thanks to a last minute 10% discount coupon from Obsidian that stacked with the sale price. Well played Obsidian Marketing Drone, well played indeed. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I ended up getting Horus Heresy: Battle of Tallarn (Warhammer 40,000)and dlc for $10. It's turn based and I think looks good. I've only played the tutorial so far but I like it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote:I ended up buying Far Cry 4 Gold and Pathfinder Adventures.

The latter was an impulse buy, thanks to a last minute 10% discount coupon from Obsidian that stacked with the sale price. Well played Obsidian Marketing Drone, well played indeed. :)
I've started playing Pathfinder Adventures on iPad yesterday. I had tried it a couple times before, but the tutorial was so bad that I couldn't understand what was going on at all. They apparently redid it last month, and now I can wrap my head around the game mechanics. Spent most of my afternoon with it, and liked it enough to throw a few $$ their way for some gold and additional characters.

I like the general idea of the game, but the RNG aspects are insane. To the point where completing scenarios feels more like sheer luck than anything. I'm on one right now that has 6 locations, I can only bring 4 characters, and I only have 30 turns to complete it. This means that if the villains are more than 5 cards (out of 10) into the deck in each location (a 50/50 shot), then its literally impossible for me to beat this scenario before I even start. And even if those 50/50 odds are in my favor and I do find the villain, it assumes that I'm successful on EVERY combat roll...which never happens.

I'm sure there's abilities that change those odds, but I'm not sure how I'm ever supposed to get to them if I can't get past this early game scenario (it's the first scenario in the first pack after the included base missions). Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but it's frustrating as hell.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As I recall from the tabletop version, there are a few abilities that extend the timer, yes. But yeah, it's a pain in the ass when you lose because your blind guesses are wrong.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: I like the general idea of the game, but the RNG aspects are insane. To the point where completing scenarios feels more like sheer luck than anything. I'm on one right now that has 6 locations, I can only bring 4 characters, and I only have 30 turns to complete it. This means that if the villains are more than 5 cards (out of 10) into the deck in each location (a 50/50 shot), then its literally impossible for me to beat this scenario before I even start. And even if those 50/50 odds are in my favor and I do find the villain, it assumes that I'm successful on EVERY combat roll...which never happens.
For the record, with 4 characters you will always have 6 locations. The number of locations scales with the number of characters.

Allies and blessings can allow you do more than one exploration per turn. There are also some spells and other opportunities for extra explores. It's all about resource management. I am on the (counts in his head) 16th scenario and I have only run out the blessings deck twice. Keep in mind that I have played this entire campaign solo in the tabletop version using the exact same characters (Kyra, Merisiel, Amiri and Seoni - yes I like the ladies) so my experience is probably playing a role here.

List of my most played tabletop games posted last year

yes there are also some one shots that extend the timer, there is at least one item (candle) and one spell. Both are banished after use and only restore 1d6 blessings for that scenario.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I grabbed every card available for viewing my Discovery Queue every day of the sale and I never got a complete set for a badge. I've got multiples of every card but #1...never had that happen before...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't bought anything and have all cards but 2 i think with some multiples. Just did the daily stuff for stickers. All but get an achievement in a game. Too much work :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last call. Get your games by noon CST tomorrow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm a tabletop gamer, and I've always been intrigued by RPGs (more the story part than the combat part, but if the gameplay is good enough that would interest me as well) but I've only ever done the most basic RPGing because of the time commitment RPGs require, so a card-based RPG is intriguing to me. And Pathfinders especially, since I recently listened to one of Big Finish's Pathfinder audio plays.

If I do get Pathfinder Adventures (from the humble store, where it's the same discount, but I get a subscribers discount as well), is the Obsidian edition worth it or not? Can the stuff be bought separately later, if I go for the standard edition?
Rip

Post by Rip »

You guys are doing the cards all wrong. I just did my queue for a couple days, bought a couple games. Selling any dupes for the going rate along the way. Then I only had like three I didn't have.

Went to the market and bought them for .09 each (with the money I made selling dupes for .08 each) and have been selling supes every since the moment I get them. Still getting .05 each.

Finished all the sticker books along the way.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote:I sent him a free trade for it hours ago. Dont think he is up yet.
Got it - i expect the hold will clear before the sale is over! thanks
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Defiant wrote:I'm a tabletop gamer, and I've always been intrigued by RPGs (more the story part than the combat part, but if the gameplay is good enough that would interest me as well) but I've only ever done the most basic RPGing because of the time commitment RPGs require, so a card-based RPG is intriguing to me. And Pathfinders especially, since I recently listened to one of Big Finish's Pathfinder audio plays.

If I do get Pathfinder Adventures (from the humble store, where it's the same discount, but I get a subscribers discount as well), is the Obsidian edition worth it or not? Can the stuff be bought separately later, if I go for the standard edition?
It's really nothing like an RPG. The only thing it has in common with an RPG is the setting and the dice. I guess if you just wanted the dice rolling I guess this might fit the bill, but I don't think I would suggest it to anyone as anything but an easier way to play the card game solo.

The obsidian edition is basically pre-purchasing a bunch of in app purchases. It gets you more character classes and starting stuff as well as a bunch of helper consumables. It's completely playable without that stuff. You get gold as you play that lets you buy treasure chests or some of those consumables. There are some bigger purchases but they are expensive. I am not sure you can get all of the stuff without the obsidian edition, but you also don't need any of it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I sent him a free trade for it hours ago. Dont think he is up yet.
Got it - i expect the hold will clear before the sale is over! thanks
Lol ok ..you're welcome. :)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

coopasonic wrote:
It's really nothing like an RPG. The only thing it has in common with an RPG is the setting and the dice. I guess if you just wanted the dice rolling I guess this might fit the bill, but I don't think I would suggest it to anyone as anything but an easier way to play the card game solo.
Huh, well that surprises me cause I had the impression it was trying to be an RPG (even if only in the way that board games do, like Arkham Horror, Betrayal, Mansion of Madness, etc). Anyway, if it's an enjoyable tabletop game, that interests me too (though I wish it had multiplayer...)
The obsidian edition is basically pre-purchasing a bunch of in app purchases. It gets you more character classes and starting stuff as well as a bunch of helper consumables. It's completely playable without that stuff. You get gold as you play that lets you buy treasure chests or some of those consumables. There are some bigger purchases but they are expensive. I am not sure you can get all of the stuff without the obsidian edition, but you also don't need any of it.
[/quote]

OK, I'd be mostly interested if it were more adventures/scenarios/story related stuff or stuff that alters gameplay, and less if it's just treasures and weapons and stuff like that (and much less if it were cosmetic stuff), especially if you don't need it to enjoy the game.

Thanks for the input.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Here's the obsidian stuff that isn't in the regular package:

- Epic and Legendary Cards 1: 106 Epic and Legendary Treasure Cards
This is available as free DLC

- Gold, Runes, and Charms: 5000 Gold, 8 Runes, and 21 Charms
In app purchases

-Pillars of Eternity Promotion Cards: 3 promotional ally cards: Eder, Pallegina, Goblin Golem of Obsidian
I got these free with the Obsidian promo code, Pallegina is the only one really useful here in my opinion.

- All Alts: 11 Alternate Equipment sets for the Iconic characters
This is $4.99 DLC

- Legendary Items: 3 Legendary rarity cards
Not sure on this one.

-Future Goblin campaign Deck 1 with 2 new Goblin Characters.
This is the only thing that might be new content, but it's future content so not sure what it is exactly. The physical version of the game has three more full campaigns out. I assume those will come to the digital version eventually if it sells well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grabbed Quake 4. Was afraid Id miss it tomorrow. No reason to wait anyways.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote:For the record, with 4 characters you will always have 6 locations. The number of locations scales with the number of characters.
Good to know, thanks.
I am on the (counts in his head) 16th scenario and I have only run out the blessings deck twice.
This makes me think that there's something fundamental that I don't understand about the game or that I'm doing entirely wrong, as I run out of time on nearly every scenario. I've tried the first "Burnt Offerings" scenario (Attack on Sandpoint) ten times now, and have run out of time 8 out of the 10 tries (I died on the other two). I typically spend 6-8 turns in each location either acquiring items/weapons or fighting other enemies before the villains ever show up. Which means that I'm basically out of turns by the time I ever even see them.

I guess I'm confused on what sort of resource management would make a difference.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I only know what has worked for me.

First, every character goes to a different location that plays to their strengths (see nothing like an RPG). Basically, they need to be able to meet the closing condition easily and deal with whatever special condition applies at that location.

Second, ally card slots are primarily for extending your exploration capabilities (Discard to explore your location). Blessings can also be used for exploration, but be a little more judicious here in the early game as they are needed to beat villains too. Later on you will be able to recharge some blessings rather than discard and that makes them more useful here. Try to get a second explore on every turn.

Third, closing locations is the key. You need to find the henchmen and close the locations to limit where the villain can run to. Defeating a villain will close that location even if the villain gets to run away so it's still worth the investment.

Sometimes you will be screwed, but not 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what characters you are playing, but I really like my team mentioned above. They have nice coverage of the various skill checks. You can't really cover all the bases (6 primary stats) with 4 characters.

I just finished up the 3rd chapter and unlocked the advanced classes. On the last scenario I found the villain on my second turn.... of course it took a lot longer to trap him and kill him, but it made for an interesting scenario.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I haven't even been able to load up the store all day today.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As is rapidly becoming my SOP, I bought a buncha stuff just because the sale is ending soon. I figure in 3 months I'll be looking for something to play so why not throw more choices on the backlog.

Penumbra Collectors Pack CDN$ 1.64
Domina CDN$ 5.49
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood CDN$ 4.99
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition CDN$ 3.29
Styx CDN$ 6.59
SOMA CDN$ 9.89
Firewatch CDN$ 9.89
Aragami CDN$ 10.99
DOOM CDN$ 19.99
Aliens Colonial Marines Collection CDN$ 6.79
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote:Aragami CDN$ 10.99
Aragami is really fun, especially if you were a fan of the old Tenchu games. Hopefully they've adjusted the boss fights via patch, as they were ridiculously difficult compared to the rest of the game on release.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote:Second, ally card slots are primarily for extending your exploration capabilities (Discard to explore your location). Blessings can also be used for exploration, but be a little more judicious here in the early game as they are needed to beat villains too. Later on you will be able to recharge some blessings rather than discard and that makes them more useful here. Try to get a second explore on every turn.
Ah, this seems to be what I was missing. I didn't understand that discard gets you an extra explore, so I haven't ever had a second Explore action during a turn.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm sure that'll help significantly in being able to better keep up with the timer.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Finally bought a few things. Just not much grabbing me. There were a number of things that I might have jumped on if 1) I didn't have a huge un-played backlog, and 2) they were closer to 75% off. In the past I've gotten games at 50%, that were 75% or more by the time I actually got around to them. Just not worth it in the long run for me.

Eador. Masters of the Broken World - Allied Forces $0.99 (DLC with some new units - I still fire this one up periodically.)

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition $6.79 (I mostly enjoyed the BG2:EE version, so I figured I'd give this a shot.)

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition $4.99 (I liked the first 2, so this was an easy one.)

Massive Chalice $1.99 (Still not sure, but it's been on my list for a long time... and the price was certainly "right".)

Total: $14.76

I ended up backing off a couple other ones after reading some of the comments. Just not sure that I'll really end up liking them. So they can sit until such time as I get desperate (HA!).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I haven't place any stickers yet. What will I miss if I don't place them before the sale ends? I'm sorry if I already asked this. I'm not clear on the whole sticker thing. Obviously.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Where do you place them?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote:Where do you place them?
I got that far at least. :wink:

On the backdrop/pictures. If you click on the summer sale link on the front of the store it takes you to a page with several empty looking backdrops.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Second, ally card slots are primarily for extending your exploration capabilities (Discard to explore your location). Blessings can also be used for exploration, but be a little more judicious here in the early game as they are needed to beat villains too. Later on you will be able to recharge some blessings rather than discard and that makes them more useful here. Try to get a second explore on every turn.
Ah, this seems to be what I was missing. I didn't understand that discard gets you an extra explore, so I haven't ever had a second Explore action during a turn.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm sure that'll help significantly in being able to better keep up with the timer.
I swear to god, this is the most frustrating game I've ever played in my life. Ever.

Once again, I tried that scenario I've been bashing my head against for the last 24 hours. I draw the villain on my final turn. I close off the other location, so he's cornered. I only need a roll of 10 to beat him, and have 2d10, 2d6, and a +3 to hit. So all I need to do to finally win this scenario is roll a total of 7 on those four dice. It's a 95% success probability.

I roll two 2's and two 1's. Lose the scenario. FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU. :evil:

Thats as close as I've ever come to throwing my iPad across the room. Still, at least I know it's beatable now.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

GreenGoo wrote:I haven't place any stickers yet. What will I miss if I don't place them before the sale ends? I'm sorry if I already asked this. I'm not clear on the whole sticker thing. Obviously.
If you place all the stickers for all the pictures you get a badge. Needs to be done prior to sale ending.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote:I roll two 2's and two 1's. Lose the scenario.
In some ways, it's a perfect simulator of the real card game - I can't tell you how many times that has happened. Dice hate me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

DOS=HIGH wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I haven't place any stickers yet. What will I miss if I don't place them before the sale ends? I'm sorry if I already asked this. I'm not clear on the whole sticker thing. Obviously.
If you place all the stickers for all the pictures you get a badge. Needs to be done prior to sale ending.
Also, I think you get to keep the pages with stickers after the sale ends, for each page you fill with stickers. (not sure if you'll be able to move the stickers after then, but you can showcase the pages)

Edit: Though I'm not sure how we'll be able to access the sticker book in the future, to change what's being showcased.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

That's awesome, Isgrimnur. I envy you.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image

Right, the "Feature on my profile" button allows you to showcase that sticker page on your profile, but how would you be able to access the sticker book to access the button after the sale has ended (and the "summer sale sticker" link on the front of the store is presumably no longer there. I've seen no other way to access the sticker book)