Settlers 7 vs Banished

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Settlers 7 vs Banished

Post by Daehawk »

Im in the mood for a city / village building sim. I want to go slow and take my time. I dont want to be interrupted with war or having to supply some fool with 10 bales of hay or 20 gold. I just want to build and see everything advance.

I own both Banished and The Settlers 7 GOLD. Ive only played each maybe 5 min to see what they looked like.

Which would give me more fun and what i want? I hear Banished is supposed to be damn good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KDH

Re: Settlers 7 vs Banished

Post by KDH »

I've never played Settlers 7

In Banished, you have the survival aspect, but this mainly affects the beginning of the game (Food + Firewood) .. although something like Firewood can catch you by surprise at anytime and you lose some people. My main problem with Banished is the childbirth aspect .. the larger your village grows the Faster it grows .. to the point of, you're placing buildings for the sake of keeping up with the baby boom and you may not enjoy your time spent for why you play city builders in the first place. I typically don't get attached to my villages, and I start a new one each time I play .. I've achieved a population of 1000. In something, like, the Anno series, your population is controlled by housing made available, people move TO your city .. they don't fornicate like bunnies.

but some of that is on me .. I could pace myself better

To answer your question .. no war, and no hay bale needin' fool
Last edited by KDH on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Settlers 7 (unless it radically departed from the previous games in the series) is not a serious village/city sim, it just has much more involved economy than the average war game. But it is still a war game in the end. You have enemies and they will attack you (usually/eventually) if you do not kill them first. Kill all your enemies, win the game.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

If you want some (new-ish) builders there are Lethis - Path of Progress and Hearthlands. GOG has a bunch of builders on sale right now too. Caesar, Zeus, etc.

Banished is a great game, though. Although I do always end up hating some of the villagers.

Why are you idling while your child is freezing to death? Chop down that tree and finish building your house! It's no wonder you were Banished, you Slacker!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I like banished, but shouldn't there at least be wolves in the winter or maybe a bear or two near rivers? Complete lack of danger was my main banished gripe. I found Rinworld to be a perfect fit for me.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Banished is fun. It's the only game I have ever achieved 100% achievements on Steam with.

It can be challenging and it's easy to fall into a population death spiral, but once you learn the system it's fairly repetitive. Some of the achievements make things more difficult.

There's a huge mod that adds massive complexity to the supply chain as well.

Never played settlers so can't compare.