Whats your top 5 adventure games on Steam?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Whats your top 5 adventure games on Steam?

Post by Daehawk »

Im in the mood for an adventure. Id love a space one but not sure what id look for. Im installing Runaway a Road Adventure now. Ive never beaten it but its fun and it got good reviews., Maybe after that Ill try The Longest Journey again but even with all the positive stuff I just dont think its for me.

I will of course replay Full Throttle sometime and will reget The Dig for sure. But what else is out there? I dont know adventures well. Whats 5 that Steam has that might be cool? I ask because I may own them already and not played them plus Steam is the only place I have any money right now.

5 for me in no order would be Full throttle, The Dig, Runaway, Space Quest(which I need to look into), and ..well heck if I know...told you I dont know adventure well.

EDIT! OH@!! Siberia...that would be my 5th. Not sure I ever finished it either.....and Sherlock Holmes is also good adventure. Then theres another series I cant remember where a girl travels to some European town with an old toymaker shop or guy thats missing or dead. It was good too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
killbot737

Re: Whats your top 5 adventure games on Steam?

Post by killbot737 »

Five? That's too many. Two of my recent favorites were The Whispered World and The Book of Unwritten Tales.

I got through the first Deponia but the series didn't click for me. The protagonist is too much of a self-absorbed psychopath. I know that's supposed to be the point but it just wasn't entertaining.

Primordia is pretty good, some of the puzzles are really random though. Like, "use everything with everything until something happens" random. But I suppose that happens in most adventure games.

I thought of some more, although they're not "talkies" like the others. Lumino City and Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers. The second one is pretty short, but I like the physics gimmick.
There is no hug button. Sad!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Five would be too many if it weren't for Telltale.

5) The Wolf Among Us
4) Walking Dead Season 2
3) Game Of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
2) Life is Strange
1) The Walking Dead

I enjoyed the Runaway games as well, but I got tired of them by the third or fourth one (The Next Big Thing).

I am in the middle of "Life is Strange" right now, part way through the third episode, so maybe putting it at number two is presumptuous. We'll see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

+1 for Book of Unwritten Tales and Wolf Among Us

Also add the Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters games, my personal favorite adventure games.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Own Life is Strange but not tried it.

Forgot how I loved ep one to Tales From the Borderlands but never got back to it after they all came out.

Also have Game of Thrones but not reading the books and not caring for the show makes me wonder if Id enjoy the game as a game or as a medieval fantasy game without knowing a thing about the story itself.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:
EDIT! OH@!! Siberia...that would be my 5th. [snip] Then theres another series I cant remember where a girl travels to some European town with an old toymaker shop or guy thats missing or dead. It was good too.
Those are the same thing - Syberia.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Of adventure games specifically available on Steam, my top five would probably be:
  1. Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  3. Grim Fandango Remastered
  4. The Longest Journey
  5. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge
(Though if it were on Steam, Sam & Max: Hit the Road would definitely be part of the list)

Since you're specifically looking for a decent science fiction adventure though, I'd recommend Wadjet Eye’s Gemini Rue.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

killbot737 wrote:Like, "use everything with everything until something happens" random. But I suppose that happens in most adventure games.
...and that is why there aren't more traditional adventure games on my list. Life is Strange has a little bit of this, but there is little to no inventory and no nonsensical solutions that I have seen so far.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

If Lucas Arts adventure games intrigue you there is a nice Adventure Pack that cost $15 and contains Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loom and The Dig. These run 6 bucks a pop so the price is not too bad. You can find it here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't play adventure games as much as I used to, sadly - games I do play are either shorter/quicker to play, or I don't tend to finish them. And I've focused more on story-rich games over puzzle-heavy games. But here are some recommendations:

Older Games (some might only be on GOG):

Lucasarts games:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: One of my all time favorite point and click adventure games. Great story, puzzles, etc. Simply wonderful

Day of the Tentacle, Secret of Monkey Island 2 are also great games, but I don't think any of their adventure games were bad.

Sierra games:
Colonel's Bequest - I love mysteries, so it's no surprise I would enjoy this one. But it also has a nice design, focused more on exploring and observing than puzzle solving (though there puzzles to solve). Time can move forward even if you haven't done everything you can, and thus, the story may go forward. This means you'll probably never get stuck like you can in some games. However, if you haven't done a lot, you'll get a less successful ending. There's a sequel (Laura Bow 2) which is more puzzle focused (and there were a few bad puzzles in it), but does have great atmosphere.

The Quest For Glory Games (adventure games with some RPG elements), Conquest of the Longbow, Gabriel Knight 1, Space Quest 5, Willy Beamish are all good games.

From others:
Sanitarium
The Last Express
Broken Sword 1+2

Very recent games:

All of the telltale games from Walking Dead on. They're good, though I do feel a little overrated (while I've finished individual episodes, I have yet to finish an entire game, which both means I could be missing stuff, but also they weren't as compelling as they could have been). There's also currently a humble bundle with a bunch of Telltale games available, which would be a cheap way to get a bunch of them

Life is Strange - One of my favorite games from the last 5+ years. High quality story - it felt to me a little like Veronica Mars or Buffy. Good gameplay. The choices mattered a lot more than in most games. Great use of music.

80 days - Not a point-and-click adventure game like the others. You play Passepartout in this take on Jule's Verne's story (but set in a more steampunky world). You have to focus on travelling around the world, making sure you can get around in 80 days, but you also have text-based adventures in all of the cities you stop in along the way. Pretty replayable, since there are many routes around the world.

Firewatch - this "walking simulator" is light on puzzles, but does give you a good story in a very pretty environment that you explore.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment - haven't finished this, but I did enjoy what I played.

If I had to pick the top 5 available on steam, I dunno, maybe...

5 The Last Express
4 Sanitarium
3 80 days
2 Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
1 Life Is Strange
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Defiant wrote:1 Life Is Strange
With 2.5 episodes to go I am pretty excited to see this as #1. I really like it so far.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Also, if you specifically want a space game, you could take a look at the two star trek point and click games (25th anniversary and judgement rites). They're comprised of like 5 episodes each, with each episode a short adventure game. I wouldn't rate them as highly as the best adventure games, but they're solid games. (they do feature some short action sequences when you have to fight space battles, though).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lots of good ideas here. I seem to own some of them.

I own Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and LOOM it seems. I have the first in box and Steam. I played it both ways but got stuck both times in a maze area. I may replay that for sure.

Sanitarium. I played this or the demo way back when. Not sure I own it will look into it.

The Star Treks..hells ya! Have both mint in box and finished both back in the day. Even picked up the 2nd one in Collectors edition with included VHS eps :) Also have STTNG adventure game too.

Sierra.....are the Gabriel Knight games adventures? I think I own them all.

Have Firewatch but ran away from it.

Telltales I have Thrones, Borderlands, Walking Dead...only finished WD. I have the Wolf one too but not tried it at all.
Those are the same thing - Syberia.
DOH!

See I buy games on super sale to play later then forget about them or why I got them.
Anonymous Bosch

I forgot about 80 Days, which is, indeed, an outstanding adventure game that plays more like an interactive gamebook, and seemlessly injects enjoyable science fiction elements into the original setting.

Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finished the first chapter to Runaway. It seems its one of those adventure games where its the devs way or no way.

Im supposed to keep Gina safe in the hospital. I find a fake head, a sheet, two pillows and a blank chart. I can tell Im supposed to make a dummy under covers to fool the bad guys. Trouble is the game wants me to do stuff a certain way. No matter how much I know what to do it refuses to let me use the dummy head saying its not going to fool anyone. but Ive searched everywhere and gotten everything. I even searched her purse earlier and found some matches. had to look up a guide...damnit..I have to recheck her purse...a wig!! Theres a wig in there and I didn't find it earlier when I found the matches?? Are you kidding me!!?? These are adventure game decisions that put me off on playing them. Why cant I just find everything when I look and figure it out later?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I forgot just how good the look, sound, and feel of the old Indiana Jones games are. I wish we could get a new one like these. This one is 25 years old and still easily one of the best adventure games ever made even today.
astyanax

Post by astyanax »

For adventure games with less fancy graphics, if recommend Wadjet Eye games, like Gemini Rue and Resonance.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Dark Eye series, in particular Memoria. They're often for sale on Steam. In fact, I feel they're one of the items I see most often on sale from what's on my list.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Does Amnesia or SOMA count?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:Does Amnesia or SOMA count?
But enough about Daehawk's medical records...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Rumpy wrote:The Dark Eye series, in particular Memoria. They're often for sale on Steam. In fact, I feel they're one of the items I see most often on sale from what's on my list.
Memoria is currently part of a bundle for $5. It shows up if you just go to the steam store page for Memoria. Picked it up myself.

The last adventure game I really enjoyed was Book of Unwritten Tales, so another plus for that one.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow it is really tough these days to not instantly go online and look up the solution when I get stuck in an adventure game now. In the old days you would have to sneak a peek at the guide in a store IF there was one. Now its so easy. But why play if you just follow a guide.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote:Wow it is really tough these days to not instantly go online and look up the solution when I get stuck in an adventure game now. In the old days you would have to sneak a peek at the guide in a store IF there was one. Now its so easy. But why play if you just follow a guide.
If you're stuck and just want a hint or nudge in the right direction (without going through a full solution), have a butcher's at UHS-hints.com (AKA the Universal Hint System).